Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2010, 11:12   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
@Mysticeyes - I always have this feeling that TN's greens are not that pleasing as KL's greens. May be few areas such as Valparai/Pollachi has great greens & pleasing to eyes compared to KL. Is this just my feeling or do you also feel the same? I feel some freshness still with KL's green & TN's greens are slightly dried up. Since you're from KL, what's your observation on this?
Might be OT, but a valid point you've got here aargee. Kerala used to've serene green cover almost till mid of 90s. Soon after that the rate of urbanization went up and even the farmlands/ agricultural areas of the hardcore rural areas were converted into housing plots. Now, barring Palakkad, Kuttanad and very minor areas, the cultivation has become extinct.

Compared to that, the paddy regions of TN have remained almost the same and infact, TN is getting more greener with new irrigation canals and water supply schemes for cultivation being promoted by the Govt. The new generation which is coming in KL is strange to the farming and even we are finding it difficult to get people for 'coconut plucking' nowadays

Culturally, people of KL has undergone a major shift in last 10 years, even in the remote rural areas..talk about materialistic tendencies. But, from pics, you can see that the traditional ways are still being followed in TN..there lies the charm we are searching for. Roots still remain in TN whereas, we are cutting off the roots..

Last edited by Mysticeyes : 31st August 2010 at 11:13.
Mysticeyes is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2010, 13:03   #47
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Mystic eyes has put that reason up here. TN's greens is all in the Paddy cultivation region. And it's seasonal as well. And depends on water supply from rivers and canals. Kerala enjoys good monsoons and it's greens are not restricted to the fields. It's got a wealth of tropical rain forest which TN doesn't boast off except in some bordering regions that are nestled in the western ghats.
Rural TN is more of an agrarian society still. except for major cities, rest of the populace are in to cultivation. Where as in Kerala you have huge shortage of land. Kasaragod to Trivandrum is one huge interconnected place with a town springing up every 20 minutes. With land coming at a premium, Kerala has to depend on TN for even rice. And fellow keralites having tough time are being pushed to gulf for sustenance, with atleast one malayalee per family residing on the other side of Arabian Sea. The boon of Kerala is their Bane too.
How can one expect to find persons for 'coconut plucking' when they know sure that their survival is based on how quickly they catch a gafur and go to gulf in his kappal that actualy is supposed to go to Kaalifourniye?
Every state in south has intelligently adapted to the resources that way and project a different flavour.
Old 31st August 2010, 13:26   #48
Senior - BHPian

Sorry about the OT @Mysticeyes; you got it completely wrong my friend; never mind. The farm land conversion to chopping trees are nothing less compared to TN.

Quote:
even we are finding it difficult to get people for 'coconut plucking' nowadays
Yes to an extend, however, its not the same case everywhere; its quite true with Ernakulam (where there're almost no trees compared to 2000's) & TVM. But this is the same trend even in Chennai. We've about 10 trees that needs to be cleaned & we're unable to find someone who does the job. I'll better get my Son trained

Quote:
we are cutting off the roots..
Same case with entire India.

Sorry about the OT; I just thought to pen down what I'm seeing. If you don't mind, I'll post 2 different greens from TN & KL & you can see the TN's greens are little dry compared to KL's greens. I'll stop with this I guess & look forward for your posts on Kalladakurichi.
Old 1st September 2010, 12:16   #49
BHPian

getting ready for cultivation..in 1 month time, both the sides would be lush green

Rustic Tamilnadu - Shenkottai-Thenkasi-Kalladakurichi-Ambasamudram-Kalakkad-dsc06323.jpg
Rustic Tamilnadu - Shenkottai-Thenkasi-Kalladakurichi-Ambasamudram-Kalakkad-dsc06325.jpg

scaring off the birds
Rustic Tamilnadu - Shenkottai-Thenkasi-Kalladakurichi-Ambasamudram-Kalakkad-dsc06327.jpg

'national vehicle' of TN
Rustic Tamilnadu - Shenkottai-Thenkasi-Kalladakurichi-Ambasamudram-Kalakkad-dsc06328.jpg

lunch break
Rustic Tamilnadu - Shenkottai-Thenkasi-Kalladakurichi-Ambasamudram-Kalakkad-dsc06331.jpg

shaded road to thenkasi
Rustic Tamilnadu - Shenkottai-Thenkasi-Kalladakurichi-Ambasamudram-Kalakkad-dsc06349.jpg
Rustic Tamilnadu - Shenkottai-Thenkasi-Kalladakurichi-Ambasamudram-Kalakkad-dsc06350.jpg
Rustic Tamilnadu - Shenkottai-Thenkasi-Kalladakurichi-Ambasamudram-Kalakkad-dsc06345.jpg

near the diversion point-for nellai, take right, keep left for thenkasi (4km)
Rustic Tamilnadu - Shenkottai-Thenkasi-Kalladakurichi-Ambasamudram-Kalakkad-dsc06363.jpg

Last edited by Mysticeyes : 1st September 2010 at 12:18.
Mysticeyes is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2010, 13:38   #50
Senior - BHPian

DSC06325 - the empty long road leading towards the distant mountains, green paddy fields on either side and the lone tree with its blooming red flowers - is hereby nominated for the "Picture of the Year" award...

Superb... you have transported me back to the rustic villages of TN.

May mysticeyes and the fabia log many more miles like these!!
Old 1st September 2010, 14:35   #51
BHPian

@ aargee & MX6, let's keep the debate for another thread

@vrprabhu - we were determined to drive slow that day..far away from the crowd, to wade through places where life is 'crawling'. I'd blast my horn at mad drivers driving recklessly in a city, but I wouldn't do that if I've to wait for cows or ox to finish cutting across the road. 'coz that's when you realize that there are moments in life when you still have time to breath fresh air and just walk around parking your car (to put other way around, no pint in blasting horns to ox).

as for fabia logging many more such miles (if some1 can bear the petrol cost) , I'd be the most happiest guy. Have been dreaming of the trivandrum-bangalore trip for long. The same had to happen last month, but got canceled due to some other reasons. I had planned to take deviations from NH and visit interior places in that drive. Now, it can only be compensated through the detailed visit through the same Shenkottai-Kalakkad route, which I'm pretty much determined to, making it a 2-3 day trip.

At times, our life needs to be still like this-totally lost or carefree in the vastness of nature
Rustic Tamilnadu - Shenkottai-Thenkasi-Kalladakurichi-Ambasamudram-Kalakkad-dsc06375.jpg
Old 1st September 2010, 14:55   #52
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Just read a very impressive story of another great man from Nellai district (from Mannarkoil village this time).
From studying under the streetlights to CEO of a US firm! : Rediff.com Business
Old 1st September 2010, 16:22   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Just read a very impressive story of another great man from Nellai district (from Mannarkoil village this time).
From studying under the streetlights to CEO of a US firm! : Rediff.com Business
Very inspiring story of Kal Raman!
Old 2nd September 2010, 00:24   #54
BHPian

Awesome pics and nice write up.. I was in these places 10 years ago when i was doing my schooling in Tirunelveli. Really nice place... you have so many places to visit near by Tirunelveli.

And i thought KL has more green presence than TN.. but your pics made me change that..

BTW - Are you using DSLR? Which model is that?
Old 2nd September 2010, 08:14   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticeyes View Post
but I wouldn't do that if I've to wait for cows or ox to finish cutting across the road.
When a man with 6 senses doesn't yield for a blarring horn, how can we expect an animal to move with only 5 senses

Quote:
'coz that's when you realize that there are moments in life when you still have time to breath fresh air and just walk around parking your car (to put other way around, no pint in blasting horns to ox).
Very true indeed

Quote:
At times, our life needs to be still like this-totally lost or carefree in the vastness of nature
Very true; but you also need to get a 1.9 TDI

Keep the pics rolling
Old 2nd September 2010, 09:57   #56
Team-BHP Support

VRP you took away my words as well! Snap 6325 is real awesome with a touch of red.
The open road is just too good.
Old 2nd September 2010, 12:32   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Very true; but you also need to get a 1.9 TDI

Keep the pics rolling
1.9 TDi??? fabia's second service was over just two weeks back (its an Aug.2008 car) and you know how much it has run? hardly 13000Km. Now, should I be going for diesel?

@sbala, I'm using Sony H-50, which is a prosumer cam. Hope to upgrade to DSLR by next year.

through thenkasi town
Rustic Tamilnadu - Shenkottai-Thenkasi-Kalladakurichi-Ambasamudram-Kalakkad-dsc06370.jpg

farmland-thenkasi
Rustic Tamilnadu - Shenkottai-Thenkasi-Kalladakurichi-Ambasamudram-Kalakkad-dsc06377.jpg

short break-having 'nonku'
Rustic Tamilnadu - Shenkottai-Thenkasi-Kalladakurichi-Ambasamudram-Kalakkad-dsc06399.jpg
Rustic Tamilnadu - Shenkottai-Thenkasi-Kalladakurichi-Ambasamudram-Kalakkad-dsc06408.jpg

may be the effect of 'nonku'
Rustic Tamilnadu - Shenkottai-Thenkasi-Kalladakurichi-Ambasamudram-Kalakkad-dsc06407.jpg

puliayara- this was were the song 'randakka randakka' from the movie 'Anniyan' was shot

Rustic Tamilnadu - Shenkottai-Thenkasi-Kalladakurichi-Ambasamudram-Kalakkad-dsc06400.jpg
Rustic Tamilnadu - Shenkottai-Thenkasi-Kalladakurichi-Ambasamudram-Kalakkad-dsc06426.jpg
Rustic Tamilnadu - Shenkottai-Thenkasi-Kalladakurichi-Ambasamudram-Kalakkad-dsc06427.jpg

Capturing the essence of our trip-call it whatever one might feel..serene, exhilarating, introspective..

Rustic Tamilnadu - Shenkottai-Thenkasi-Kalladakurichi-Ambasamudram-Kalakkad-dsc06409.jpg
Rustic Tamilnadu - Shenkottai-Thenkasi-Kalladakurichi-Ambasamudram-Kalakkad-dsc06416.jpg

Last edited by Mysticeyes : 2nd September 2010 at 12:36.
Old 2nd September 2010, 13:13   #58
Team-BHP Support

Man! You were guys were having a ball!
The emerald green colour is breathtaking! And with hills in the background, its taking the game even further! Very nice indeed.
Old 13th September 2010, 10:37   #59
BHPian

two weeks and not much activity on the thread.Time to shut down the thread?some final snaps from the trip

the road to kerala border

Rustic Tamilnadu - Shenkottai-Thenkasi-Kalladakurichi-Ambasamudram-Kalakkad-dsc06434.jpg

tamiladu (puliyara) - first glimpse

Rustic Tamilnadu - Shenkottai-Thenkasi-Kalladakurichi-Ambasamudram-Kalakkad-dsc06443.jpg

we were late to arrive..by 1 minute. else this scene could have been shot from a vantage position

Rustic Tamilnadu - Shenkottai-Thenkasi-Kalladakurichi-Ambasamudram-Kalakkad-dsc06456.jpg
Rustic Tamilnadu - Shenkottai-Thenkasi-Kalladakurichi-Ambasamudram-Kalakkad-dsc06457.jpg
Rustic Tamilnadu - Shenkottai-Thenkasi-Kalladakurichi-Ambasamudram-Kalakkad-dsc06458.jpg
Rustic Tamilnadu - Shenkottai-Thenkasi-Kalladakurichi-Ambasamudram-Kalakkad-dsc06459.jpg

I thought of writing a detailed travelogue on the trip. However, being the lazy bone I'm, I had to limit it to pics.

But, with nearly 20GB of pics, 18 pages of a corporate diary exhausted by detailed notes of places & people, more than 750Km of sheer driving pleasure (my fabia is grinning wide after having completed the 'up' portion of the journey), I've decided to write a detailed travelogue once the journey is completed ('down' portion is still pending)

It was a drive..of sheer lunacy once again, two nuts in search of solitude, on a peek of the life & people in NH 7 from Kanyakumari to Bangalore. Now, that would be another thread once we get back to hometown.

A sneak peek

Rustic Tamilnadu - Shenkottai-Thenkasi-Kalladakurichi-Ambasamudram-Kalakkad-she-sitting-there-offering-peek-into-our-future.jpg

Rustic Tamilnadu - Shenkottai-Thenkasi-Kalladakurichi-Ambasamudram-Kalakkad-nh-7-before-joining-nh-47b-kavalkinaru.jpg

Last edited by Mysticeyes : 13th September 2010 at 10:41.
Old 13th September 2010, 11:31   #60
BHPian

In one of your pictures on page 3, I saw a hoarding containing the picture of a Tiger. Did you make it to the Tiger reserve? Eagar to know!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks