Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2010, 14:49   #1
BHPian

A Tale of 3 Countries, 3 Cities, 3 Airlines, 3 Persons

08th February on my way to office:
05:15:00PM
Red FM….Red FM…. Fly AirAsia from just 5000 onwards from New Delhi to KL.
05:15:15PM I wake up. Was I dreaming or has my one of the previous dream come true.
06:10:00 PM Go to Start --> IE --> www.airasia.com
06:10:10 AM WOW
10th February – Posted on team-bhp to seek advice of fellow travel mates (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...vice-reqd.html)
14th February EOD – Homework done. Finally my dream of Foreign Tour with Family will come true. Tickles in stomach. New Airline, foreign country, travelling with a 2.5 tear toddler.
Final Thought –Dekha Jayega. Just Do it.

Return tickets booked for Delhi-Kuala Lumpur (@ a price of INR 30604.8).

Last edited by achopraa : 25th August 2010 at 14:52.
Old 25th August 2010, 15:12   #2
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Hmmm 30604.8 is high for 2 adults and a child to KL. It's raining offers. But that wouldn't have dampened your spirits. I remember posting some on your query as well. Now looking for the logue and photos!
Old 25th August 2010, 15:27   #3
BHPian

Google was my best friend for making my whole trip a wonderful experience very well supported by Mr. TripAdvisor

Since the South East countries Malayisa and Singapore are nearby, it made sense was is worth visiting Singapore when you are there.

While going through the various package deals provided by the Travel Agents, I planned to select a city from Langkawi/Penang/Genting.

The main focus and requirements during my planning phase the trip was to have a relaxed holiday, cover main attractions, have comfortable stay and travel arrangements.

Loosely, I decided to spend
3 Days in Singapore
3 Days in a beach city (Langkawi/Penang)
2 Days in KL

My first choice for Beach City was Langkawi but I had no option but to chose Penang due to lack of flight connectivity from Singapore-Langkawi.
Based on above, I charted out following possible itinearies:
DEL-KL-PEN-SIN-DEL
DEL-KL-SIN-PEN-DEL
DEL-SIN-PEN-KL-DEL

Accordingly, the flight connections were searched on the following airlines:
1. AirAsia
2. Tiger Airways
3. jet Star
4. Fire Fly
5. Malaysia Airlines

The Final Itineary turned out to be as following:
Day 1 - Reach KL by Air Asia. Move on to Singapore with next available flight (with just about enough time to accomodate previous flight delay) by Air Asia
Day 2 - Singapore
Day 3 - Singapore
Day 4 - Move to Penang in Afternoon by Jet Star.
Day 5 - Penang
Day 6 - Move to KL in evening by Malaysia Airlines.
Day 7 - KL
Day 8 - Move back to Delhi by evening flight by Air Asia

Cost Factor: -
KUL-SIN MYR 160
SIN-PEN SGD 102
PEN-KUL MYR 222

Next Task: Choose Hotels
Old 25th August 2010, 17:59   #4
Senior - BHPian

Is the trip over or you are just starting a live travelogue? I am also planning all these four places next month.
Reach Singapore in time for the F1 race.
Fly to Penang
Train/Bus + Ferry to Langkawi
Fly to KL
and finally back to Bangy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Hmmm 30604.8 is high for 2 adults and a child to KL. It's raining offers. But that wouldn't have dampened your spirits. I remember posting some on your query as well. Now looking for the logue and photos!
I second that. For me Bangalore - Singapore, Singapore - Penang, Langkawi - KL and KL - Bangalore combined flight ticket is costing ~10k per head. That too during the F1 weekend

Last edited by Jaguar : 25th August 2010 at 18:04.
Old 25th August 2010, 19:11   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Well, they are even less now (with the Zero Fare Introduced). But when I booked (at the time of introduction of AirAsia), the best fare was around 18K for return flight from New Delhi (remember even Zero fare has around 2300 as taxes). So 10K per person was a good deal. The Child's cost is more or less same as that of an adult even on full carriers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Is the trip over or you are just starting a live travelogue? I am also planning all these four places next month.
Reach Singapore in time for the F1 race.
Fly to Penang
Train/Bus + Ferry to Langkawi
Fly to KL
and finally back to Bangy

I second that. For me Bangalore - Singapore, Singapore - Penang, Langkawi - KL and KL - Bangalore combined flight ticket is costing ~10k per head. That too during the F1 weekend
Well the trip is over. Wanted to put it as a Live one, but didn't get enought time.
Old 29th August 2010, 12:56   #6
BHPian

Hi achopraa,

Waiting for more updates and pics.
Aap aa to gaye par chaa kab rahe ho.
Old 29th August 2010, 23:40   #7
BHPian

waiting for the update :-)
Old 30th August 2010, 00:33   #8
BHPian

14th August 2010 - The T3

Luggage Packed - Yes.
Cab Booked - Yes.
Ready for Holiday - Yes.

My excitement level were 2 folds.
The Trip and The T3.
I am of really curious nature. That made me to do some research as to from where does the plane come to KL before it gets scheduled as D72506 to come to Delhi and then later on get scheduled as D72507 to fly back to KL.
The research revealed that the previous flight comes from Perth to KL. I kept a track of that flight to be sure that it arrives to KL on time so that the flight from KL arrives Delhi on time.

Reason: - I had around 4 hours of time between changing of flights at KL LCCT. Any delay in the Delhi-KL flight would have disrupt my whole schedule and the plans.
Anyhow, all seemed to be OK and I scheduled a cab via EasyCab for T3 at 4:30PM. Although the Airport is just 50 minutes (23Kms) distance from home, you never can predict the Delhi Jams. And so it happened. Was stuck in 2 Jam Points just outside the house but finally made it to the Airport by 6:00 PM.

Access road to T3 is awesome and this is one place where you get the feel that probably Delhi is a world city.
Inside, it is much better and organised than the previous IGIA Departure Terminal. Following the signs, we reached AirAsia's counter where people were already queued up. I had my online check-in done, handed over all the documents to the check-in guy. He trashed my boarding passes and issued new ones (why did they ask us to take print at first place). The total weight of the check-in luggage was 30Kgs (Need to keep track as it was a budget airline and more on that later). We had 2 Handbags, a laptop bag and a purse.
Bags must have been 10+ kgs but no one bothered to weigh it.
The whole process was smooth and after immigration checks (just 5 minutes) and security checks, we were at the departure hall.

This is A W E S O M E.

Tons & Tons of space. Beautiful sculptures. The Travelators. Battery operated cars for the people with kids and the senior citizens. Is this Delhi? Yes indeed.

A Tale of 3 Countries, 3 Cities, 3 Airlines, 3 Persons-dsc03566.jpg

A Tale of 3 Countries, 3 Cities, 3 Airlines, 3 Persons-dsc03575.jpg

A Tale of 3 Countries, 3 Cities, 3 Airlines, 3 Persons-dsc03576.jpg

A Tale of 3 Countries, 3 Cities, 3 Airlines, 3 Persons-dsc03577.jpg

A Tale of 3 Countries, 3 Cities, 3 Airlines, 3 Persons-dsc03579.jpg
Soon, the departure of flight was announced and we were off to board the same. The same excitement continued...
Old 30th August 2010, 00:36   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sami316 View Post
Hi achopraa,

Waiting for more updates and pics.
Aap aa to gaye par chaa kab rahe ho.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRV2010 View Post
waiting for the update :-)
Sorry folks for the delay. Kiddo is suffering from Fever and hence no time to spend online.
Old 30th August 2010, 00:38   #10
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Better take care. I read a lot about Dengue there in Delhi. When my kid sneezes, I get paranoid too, because of the swine flu in Pune.
Old 30th August 2010, 10:09   #11
Senior - BHPian

@achopra,
i was expecting this travelogue and here it is!!

Please don't keep us at T3 for so long and move to LCCT in time.
Old 30th August 2010, 15:56   #12
BHPian

15th August 2010 - LCCT & Onwards

The Flight was comfortable, thanks to the pre-booked Hot Seats(@ the price of Normal seats, say my luck or a bug in the system). The food served was OK sujective to everyone's taste buds. I didn't like my Non-Veg meal though.
The kids meal was sufficient and had loats of goodies(game, juice, biscuits..). My kiddo was thoroughly enjoying.
A Tale of 3 Countries, 3 Cities, 3 Airlines, 3 Persons-dsc03589.jpg
It is a bit tough to travel with a toddler especially in a night flight, I realised soon. At 3:20, the descend to KL was announced and the flight landed at KL LCCT at 4 AM.

We rushed quickly to immigration counters, not a lot of rush there, collected baggages and were out of Arrival Hall by 4:45AM.

There was so much of rush at LCCT. I could relate it only to the Old Delhi Railway Station.
My first reaction - It was overcrowded.
Wife's first reaction - Where can we get milk for child?

Hmm, tough nut to crack, found a Coffee shop, got settled, ordered a Cup of Milk and a Latte. Finally some time to realise we are in a foreign country now.
I had some time before we move on to catch the flight to Singapore. Soon everywhere we could see hoarding of only and only Air Asia. It was everywhere. Hardly there were some any other flights. People were flying to different directions and there were NUMEROUS counters for one airline. This is the first time I saw so many counters dedicated for one airline. The Airport was neat, small had just about enough features required to run an airport.

Low Cost at its Best.

Some time later, loaded baggage and moved on to Check-in for the Flight to Singapore. Flight scheduled for 7:45 AM to reach Changi at 8:40 AM.
A Tale of 3 Countries, 3 Cities, 3 Airlines, 3 Persons-dsc03592.jpg

At the check-in counter, while checking in the luggage, the weigh scale measured 32Kgs. I was like The baggages were not opened, so how come 2Kg increase. The person asked us to shed 2 Kgs from Baggage. Tried explaining that it was 30Kgs at Delhi and may be weigh scale is not properly callibrated, but all in vein. The hand baggage was stuffed 2 more Kgs and the bagges were checked in.
Luckily the weight of hand baggages was not checked though everywhere in BOLD it was publicised the "7Kg -One Bag" Hand Baggage policy.

Boarded the flight at 7:20, Flight took off at 7:45 and landed at 8:40AM.
Speaking of the On Time Performance, I saw at LCCT that there was hardly any flight delayed or cancelled. Kudos to the management.

The flight arrived at Terminal 1 of Changi Airport. Had to move to Terminal 2 where the Driver was waiting to transfer us to Hotel.
The check-out, Immigration clearance and all was really smooth.
Took the Airport Express for Terminal Transfer, went to the Travel Agent's desk and moved on to the Hotel.

A Tale of 3 Countries, 3 Cities, 3 Airlines, 3 Persons-dsc03601.jpg
A Tale of 3 Countries, 3 Cities, 3 Airlines, 3 Persons-dsc03607.jpg
A Tale of 3 Countries, 3 Cities, 3 Airlines, 3 Persons-dsc03608.jpg
A Tale of 3 Countries, 3 Cities, 3 Airlines, 3 Persons-dsc03609.jpg
A Tale of 3 Countries, 3 Cities, 3 Airlines, 3 Persons-dsc03610.jpg
A Tale of 3 Countries, 3 Cities, 3 Airlines, 3 Persons-dsc03628.jpg
A Tale of 3 Countries, 3 Cities, 3 Airlines, 3 Persons-dsc03629.jpg
Old 7th September 2010, 09:42   #13
Senior - BHPian

Hello Akash,

Further updates on this thread please.
Old 6th October 2010, 12:57   #14
BHPian

I am soon planning to do a similar trip (New Delhi - Malaysia - Singapore - New Delhi). Would definitely love to know some more about your experiences in these countries and any tips that you may want to share with us

Btw, congrats for this trip! Always a highlight for us Indians to visit foreign countries!
Old 13th November 2010, 20:30   #15
BHPian

15th August 2010 - Singapore - Cont...

Original Plan was to visit either the Singapore Zoo or the Jurong Bird Park in the latter half of the day. The tiredness forced us to make some changes in the plan.

Plan changed to:-
Have lunch.
Take rest
Find SIM Card
Do local roaming in city

At around 2:30, we planned of going to Little India. Took a Shuttle from Hotel which dropped

at Orchard Road and from there took the Singapore MRT to reach Little India. The MRT station

of Little India was a bit far from the main Shopping Area. Saw a lot of South Indian food

joints, couple of temples and the MUSTAFA. This was a place wifey was really happy to see.
Not for the electronics but for the availablity of AMUL MILK. Anyhow did some other food stuff shopping there, checked out all the floors, had snacks at some south Indian Joint and also took SIM for calling back home.
Called family and friends and talked and talked and talked and talked.
A note for fellow members here, there are a LOT of shops and calling back home India is dirt

cheap and even cheaper than calling Singapore local number. Just roam around a bit and you will come across a series of shops dealing in SIM Cards.

Late in the evening, took MRT for the Orchard Station and took the shuttle back to Hotel

Day 1 Ends.

Plan for Day 2:
-->Go Half Day Sight seeing(already part of package). Pick up at 7.50AM
-->Spend second half at Leisure (preferable at Clark Quay)

Some Random Pics
A Tale of 3 Countries, 3 Cities, 3 Airlines, 3 Persons-dsc03635.jpg
A Tale of 3 Countries, 3 Cities, 3 Airlines, 3 Persons-dsc03636.jpg
A Tale of 3 Countries, 3 Cities, 3 Airlines, 3 Persons-dsc03637.jpg
A Tale of 3 Countries, 3 Cities, 3 Airlines, 3 Persons-dsc03638.jpg
A Tale of 3 Countries, 3 Cities, 3 Airlines, 3 Persons-dsc03639.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks