Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2010, 18:36   #1
BHPian

An unplanned trip to a unknown destination

Epilouge :
Me: That's it I need a break. I want sometime off to be alone. No Phone, Just want to wander around aimlessly.
Wifey: Checks my temperature, Are you allright.
Me: Yes, I'm, Just that I want my own time to ponder and rejenuvate
Wifey: Then who is stopping you !
Me : I thought you were stopping me, Are you not ?
Wifey: When did I ever stop you from doing anything !
Me: FInally I got the reply, Just one more confirmation , "Ae you sure"
Wifey: Yeah !!!

I decided this is going to be a unplanned trip, then the planning began, Finally forced myself not to plan and just get out to the road for a day. Day before the trip.

Wifey: Shall I pack you something
Me: I'm not going on a picnic baby, I'm getting in to my ealrly days, the rugged backpack traveller. In any case pack something for me
Wifey: Gave me a amused look and said, I will make parathas.
Me: ok(I dare not counter it)

1. Camera backpack - Check
2. Lenses - 18-200, 50mm Check
3. Reflector - Check
4. Tripod - Check
5. Wallet - Check
6. Phone - uncheck
7. Kindle - check
8. Passport & Visa - Check (My Geolocation requires me to always carry a passport If I'm heading out of town).

D-Day:
I get out of the bed excitedly, getting ready and double checking all the "Checked" Items. Leave my phone, hug my wife and kiss the kids good bye and open the door.

Wifey: You have left you phone
Me: I bite my lips like a teenager trying to run out of home from Mom
WIfey: How do we expect me to reach you
Me: Bang my head and sheepily put the phone in the bag

Take the MRT to Bugis busstation to my forward journey

Story:

Epilouge:

The moon shining over the forests, Palm trees Glowing under its light. "Kabhi Kabhie" running in the background(Bus driver was playing this), winding hill roads and I fell in love all over again.

Took out my mobile and texted my wife "On my way back, will reach home in couple of hours. All of a sudden I'm reminded of the day you proposed me(She does not agree to this and claims I did it. Well thats the truth!!!)
Old 25th August 2010, 19:14   #2
Team-BHP Support

Got hooked because of the unknown adventure!
Old 25th August 2010, 19:22   #3
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

This is really going to be an interesting read. Well started evo8. I'm also hooked on. Bring it on sir !!
Old 25th August 2010, 21:00   #4
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Bugis bus station. Seems like you just took a bus ride to Malaysia!
Old 26th August 2010, 15:53   #5
BHPian

Palm trees support the claim that you went to malaysia!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Old 26th August 2010, 16:10   #6
BHPian

Its a nice way to start the travelogue and the way it is paused is also nice. Will watch out for your further posts. continue posting...
Old 26th August 2010, 17:54   #7
BHPian

Thanks folks, Quite busy with office work. Will post the second part in a while.

Quote:
Palm trees support the claim that you went to malaysia!
Quote:
The only place where you can reach by bus from is Malaysia . Infact the picture is of a "Kampung House" that is famous in Malaysia.
Old 26th August 2010, 19:02   #8
BHPian

Story

I reached Bugis Bus station...cont.

I forgot to Check the most important item (Read on...)

This was my first trip on a bus outside singapore. I was excited, worried basically had mixed feelings on what the procedure would be at the immigration and lot of questions. Though there were tons o literature on this topic in the internet nothing prepares you for the excitement other then experience. I paid SGD 2.50 and boarded the causeway express, yellow bus at 9:30. The bus was nothing to talk about and reminded of the "luxury Tamilnadu State buses" . This journey was to Johor Bahru, which is a stone throw away(I mean literally, a throw away) from Singapore.

We went through the PIE traffic towards the woodlands checkpoint, where the immigration needs to be done. The bus rattling was music to ears, despite being smooth roads. As we moved along, the road was fenced in the last km or so. After alighting the bus took the escalator up, cleared immigration and was runshing down on the other side. Just did not want to miss the bus and get stuck in the No mans land.

Now I'm officially out of singapore and Johor in sight, the bus crossed the causeway through the heavy traffic. Sorry about next few pictures, I had shot them on my mobile. I promise some really neat pictures further on.
Just entering Johor Bahru, Malysia(The building that you see in the background is singapore).
An unplanned trip to a unknown destination-dsc_0054.jpg

Malaysian Immigration building
An unplanned trip to a unknown destination-dsc_0055.jpg

After reaching the Malaysian Immigration, Climb up to the immigration counters and pick the form. OMG, how can I forget this. Standing with the form and a bus to catch after immigration. I have forgotten to make the most important item. I go through the bag nth time still did not find it. ......... cont

Have to go attend a conf call. will continue later.
Old 29th August 2010, 12:31   #9
BHPian

Hey Evo8,
This looks like a TL with a difference. Waiting for almost 2-3 days now.
Has the conf call finished yet.

Last edited by sami316 : 29th August 2010 at 12:32. Reason: Spelling mistake
Old 29th August 2010, 12:37   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

@Evo8: masti marta hai - conf call tum karo hum kya kaaren? Nice start and yes this is one of those things that I'd also love to do but have not tried it till now!!
Old 30th August 2010, 17:45   #11
BHPian

@sami316, @sudev, Well the call went the whole of that night . Back to fill in the next part !!
Old 30th August 2010, 19:15   #12
BHPian

...... After reaching the Malaysian Immigration, Climb up to the immigration counters and pick the form. OMG, how can I forget this. Standing with the form and a bus to catch after immigration. I have forgotten to make the most important item. I go through the bag nth time still did not find it.

Well I always do this, Forget to carry a pen. With the immigration form in hand I started stalking people from behind. All of them were busy filling out their forms and rushing to the immigration to finish formalities. I did not want be stuck there like "Tom Hanks" in terminal. Three bus loads of people came and went, I did not manage to get a pen. Finally after half an hour of stalking, Some kind soul presented me a pen. I fill out the form and quickly make my way through the immigration.

The bus had long gone from the bus bay. The ticket I have is valid only in the same transport company. I way waiting for a bus to take me 100m from he bus bay in to Johor Bahru. Finally the savior, I see a SBS Transit(Local public singapore service has services to JB). I jump and tap my EZ-link card, Voila it works. Now I'm on my way to Johor Bahru Larkin bus terminal. For some reason the roads of Johor reminded me of Coimbatore with a bit of organized travel.

I had great images in my mind about the bus stand. Once I reached, I was like "Damn, Did I land in India or what" . A group of touts started running along the bus, Once the door opened, I was greeted by a sea of touts. All conversing with me in Tamil. I avoid all of them and walk towards the ticket counters. I walk across the bus counters with a lot of private operators touting to take their services. Without a single hint of "where I'm heading" I just look blankly at the windows looking for exotic names. Finally something stuck me, I saw a very familiar name, this place was the gateway in to the Tioman Islands. I decided on my destination, went to the counter

Me: "What time is the bus"
Tout : "Bus just left"
Me: "What time is the next bus"
Tout: "2:30, its just 11:30 now, Sooper bus, business Class"
Me: "How long does it take to reach ?"
Tout: "Super fast, 2 hrs"

Thought for a while,Withe the time I have, i will not be able to make it Tioman Islands, At least let me visit this small town. Ok I will take it. I bought the Business class bus tickets for 11 RM. Had three hours in hand, Just walked around the bus stand, clicking some pics

1. Malay Girl Waiting

2.Bus bay @ Larkin terminal
Attachment 415734

3.Buses - Nothing much to talk about. Will put Indian government buses to Shame .
Attachment 415735

4.Ticket Counters
Attachment 415736

5.Old Malay Lady waiting for bus. Reminded me of Indian bus stands.
Attachment 415739

6.Friendly Neighbourhood Tout - The "Man U" Fan
Attachment 415742

7.Twin Touts
Attachment 415738

8.Shopping Mall @ Larkin Terminal
Attachment 415737

9.Safe Journey
An unplanned trip to a unknown destination-img_5316.jpg

..Cont

PS : I have managed three threads without revealing the destination. Next thread I will have to. Meanwhile keep making guesses. Happy Reading.

Also let me know if this is getting boring, I shall try to spice it up a bit .

Last edited by evo8 : 30th August 2010 at 19:18.
Old 30th August 2010, 19:57   #13
BHPian

Sorry, Pictures got messed up in my last post. Posting them again

2.Bus bay @ Larkin terminal
An unplanned trip to a unknown destination-img_5305.jpg

3.Buses - Nothing much to talk about. Will put Indian government buses to Shame .
An unplanned trip to a unknown destination-img_53031.jpg

4.Ticket Counters
An unplanned trip to a unknown destination-img_5307.jpg

5.Old Malay Lady waiting for bus. Reminded me of Indian bus stands.
An unplanned trip to a unknown destination-img_5318.jpg

6.Friendly Neighbourhood Tout - The "Man U" Fan
An unplanned trip to a unknown destination-img_5306.cr2.jpg

7.Twin Touts
An unplanned trip to a unknown destination-img_5313.jpg

8.Shopping Mall @ Larkin Terminal
An unplanned trip to a unknown destination-img_5309.jpg

9.Salaam - Safe Journey
Name:  IMG_5316.jpg
Views: 1438
Size:  58.3 KB
Old 30th August 2010, 20:04   #14
BHPian

Excellent photographic details. The story also is very addictive.
Old 30th August 2010, 20:18   #15
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Larkin is a pathetic place to eat. I hated the restaurants on the level above (if you can call them restaurants). Very smelly and big turn off for vegetarians.
And the touts get on the nerves too.
Twice we took the bus from Larkin to KL, my wife refused to eat anything. We picked up just biscuits and had them in the bus.
So did you end up in merising or melaka instead?

Last edited by MX6 : 30th August 2010 at 20:26.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks