Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2010, 14:18   #1
BHPian

Nagpur - Amravati Trip NH6

Did a superb road trip last month from Nagpur to Amravati. The occasion was my cousin's wedding ceremony at Amravati.

I did this road trip after a really very long time. The roads have changed a lot in couple of years !

The highway which was previously 2-Laned, is now converted [mostly] into 4-Lanes.

Ready to leave from Nagpur. The dashboard:

Nagpur - Amravati Trip NH6-start.jpg

The entertainer:

Nagpur - Amravati Trip NH6-audio.jpg

Travel from Nagpur to Amravati is abourt 156kms.

The route is:

Nagpur- Kondhali - Karanja - Talegaon - Tiwsa - Nandgaon Peth - Amravati.

Some statue in between . .

Nagpur - Amravati Trip NH6-statue.jpg
Old 26th August 2010, 14:50   #2
Senior - BHPian

Yes, the 4-lane road is up and running for some time now. Road condition good throughout?
How much is the toll?
Any restaurants that you will recommend en route?
Old 26th August 2010, 15:03   #3
BHPian

Hi,

I used to do this route every week when I was doing my B.E. from Amravati. I had a Hero Honda Splendor at that time (1999-2003) and was based in Nagpur (Dattawadi Ordnance factory Estate).

The road conditions were bad on NH. The only good patch was between Nagpur till Talegoan.

Please post pics soon with the details. Can't wait to brush-up my memories

Last edited by dev_kudle : 26th August 2010 at 15:04.
Old 26th August 2010, 15:07   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Yes, the 4-lane road is up and running for some time now. Road condition good throughout?
How much is the toll?
Any restaurants that you will recommend en route?
Road condition is not good throughout. Road between Nagpur to Kondhali is still to be completed in between.

Lots of small restaurants enroute near each place mentioned in previous post. But we had breakfast somewhere near Karanja on the right side of road. Food joint was good. Especially the "khekda bhaje". Samosa were served with kadhi & that combination tasted yummy.
Old 26th August 2010, 16:19   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dev_kudle View Post
Hi,

I used to do this route every week when I was doing my B.E. from Amravati. I had a Hero Honda Splendor at that time (1999-2003) and was based in Nagpur (Dattawadi Ordnance factory Estate).

The road conditions were bad on NH. The only good patch was between Nagpur till Talegoan.

Please post pics soon with the details. Can't wait to brush-up my memories

Its too difficult to match the present road with the earlier one, to brush-up the memories. The new one is awesome. Here is the view:

Nagpur - Amravati Trip NH6-plainroad.jpg
Old 26th August 2010, 17:51   #6
BHPian

Location of Nagpur is strategic. The city is centrally located.

The zero mile stone of India is located in Nagpur. It is a stone, from where all the distances between various cities are calculated. In other words, Zero MileStone is considered as the origin point for all calculations.

The stone is located just near the intersection of major highway NH-7 (Varanasi - Kanyakumari) & NH-6 (Mumbai - Calcutta). In fact, major railway trunk route Mumbai-Howrah and Chennai-Delhi pass through the city.

Nagpur - Amravati Trip NH6-zero_mile_nagpur.jpg
Old 26th August 2010, 18:07   #7
Team-BHP Support

Thats a good triva.
For rail, even Itarsi serves as a centre many a time.
Old 26th August 2010, 19:01   #8
BHPian

Wow..some travelogue so close to my heart.

I have spent good 15 years from schooling to graduation in Amravati. When I travelled last time from Pune - Amravati- Nagpur , there is hardly any resemblance due to new highways and bypasses. I did Pune-Nagar-Aurangabad-Jalna-Sindhkhedraja-Washim (bypassed) - Amravati. The old road of Chikhali-Akola-Karanja-Amravati is no longer popular.
Old 26th August 2010, 19:53   #9
BHPian

Hey WDM007,

Please post some more pics and info of your trip. Let us have the priviledge to experience and feel the roads and Amravati-Nagpur atmosphere from here.
Old 27th August 2010, 10:52   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Thats a good triva.
For rail, even Itarsi serves as a centre many a time.
Nagpur Railway station is one of the busiest in the region. Also, this is one of the city in India connected to most of the state capitals by Rail route.

Nagpur Railway Station handles 3 times more traffic than Pune, but still Nagpur Station is 3 times more cleaner & better than that of Pune.

Then again,rail route is busy due to lots of freight trains carrying cargo containers, as Nagpur is one of the International Dry Port.

Apart from this, lots of wagon trains carrying coal from nearby coal fields of Umred, Kampthee, Warora etc. to the powerplants of Koradi, Khaperkheda, Bhadrawati, Chandrapur etc.

Nagpur region generates 1000s of Megawatts of electrical energy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanstorm View Post
Wow..some travelogue so close to my heart.

I have spent good 15 years from schooling to graduation in Amravati. When I travelled last time from Pune - Amravati- Nagpur , there is hardly any resemblance due to new highways and bypasses. I did Pune-Nagar-Aurangabad-Jalna-Sindhkhedraja-Washim (bypassed) - Amravati. The old road of Chikhali-Akola-Karanja-Amravati is no longer popular.
Yeah right ! The road has changed a lot in couple of years.

Also, people have stopped using this raod due to lot of maintainence activities going on. Even Pune - Nagpur buses go through the other route you have mentioned.

You can clearly see the amount of traffic on the road, in a pic, which I have attached. I remember this road earlier used having a bumper to bumper truck traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dev_kudle View Post
Hey WDM007,

Please post some more pics and info of your trip. Let us have the priviledge to experience and feel the roads and Amravati-Nagpur atmosphere from here.

sure dude, more pics & explainations coming down. We have reached only till zero mile right now.

Way to go ahead !
Old 27th August 2010, 11:38   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDM007 View Post
Nagpur Railway station is one of the busiest in the region. Also, this is one of the city in India connected to most of the state capitals by Rail route.

Nagpur Railway Station handles 3 times more traffic than Pune, but still Nagpur Station is 3 times more cleaner & better than that of Pune.
So, the the thread is finally off and running, eh? Good work

I agree with you about Nagpur station being busiest - the crowds are next only to Mumbai and Delhi.... but there is an improvement at Pune Station. Platform 1 has been spruced up and there are now electric carts available for senior citizens to help them getting to the platform. The problem with Pune Railway Station = no space to expand
Old 27th August 2010, 13:03   #12
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Expansion is not a problem. Hygiene is the problem in Pune station. Basic necessities like additional Foot Over Bridge are also not adequate. If one goes towards the platforms where the daund/ manmad/ shirdi trains come one can get the amazing stench of human excreta. Amongst all the city stations I'd been to, Pune would rank as the worst in terms of hygiene.
Old 27th August 2010, 13:44   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDM007 View Post

Then again,rail route is busy due to lots of freight trains carrying cargo containers, as Nagpur is one of the International Dry Port.

Apart from this, lots of wagon trains carrying coal from nearby coal fields of Umred, Kampthee, Warora etc. to the powerplants of Koradi, Khaperkheda, Bhadrawati, Chandrapur etc.

Nagpur region generates 1000s of Megawatts of electrical energy.
Well said. Have crossed through the city on train so many times, but never on road. Had a chance once to stay in the city and really amazed by the clean ambience and wide-wide (yes you need to mention word twice) roads!

Also every time I passed through Itarsi and Nagpur railway stations through th famed TN, it was a thrill. But never went through the road.
Old 27th August 2010, 19:46   #14
BHPian

Hi WDM007,

Good start to the TL with some nice pics. Waiting for more.
Old 27th August 2010, 19:54   #15
BHPian

Nice travelogue. Any idea what would be the best route to take to reach Amravati from Mumbai and how long would it take?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks