Old 26th August 2010, 20:11   #16
BHPian

Prasanti Cottage, Kohora

For contact details under ATDC across Assam visit:

Assam Tourism Development Corporation

Guwahati getaways: A vanishing Kaziranga-a2.jpg
Old 26th August 2010, 20:29   #17
Senior - BHPian

I really don't think this is the right forum for emotive non-automotive issues.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 26th August 2010, 20:38   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
I really don't think this is the right forum for emotive non-automotive issues.

Regards
Sutripta
Its already a closed chapter, just pictures coming for quiet some time.

You are logging in early tonight.
Old 26th August 2010, 20:47   #19
Senior - BHPian

^^^^^
No, this is my normal time for logging in. Might post till 11:30.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 26th August 2010, 20:50   #20
BHPian

Jupuri Ghar, Kohora under govt private partnership.
Its in good condition and situated on a hillock. The approach road is a bit bad but centrally located near to the Kaziranga park main office.

Guwahati getaways: A vanishing Kaziranga-jg7.jpg

Guwahati getaways: A vanishing Kaziranga-jg8.jpg

Guwahati getaways: A vanishing Kaziranga-jg9.jpg

Guwahati getaways: A vanishing Kaziranga-jg6.jpg

Guwahati getaways: A vanishing Kaziranga-jg5.jpg

Guwahati getaways: A vanishing Kaziranga-jg4.jpg

Guwahati getaways: A vanishing Kaziranga-jg3.jpg

Guwahati getaways: A vanishing Kaziranga-jg2.jpg

Guwahati getaways: A vanishing Kaziranga-jg1.jpg
Old 26th August 2010, 20:51   #21
MX6
Senior - BHPian

I wouldn't actually credit the brits with conservation. They have literally wiped 75% of our wildlife in the name of big game hunting. It was only when it reached alarming proportions, that they started conserving. They have typically enjoyed shooting tigers.
Anyway, even now poachers are active only to cater to foreign markets.
Only thing is the west has now woken up to conservation. We are yet to.

Amazing photos you got there San.
As HVK points out, all your logs out of Guwahati are like Outlook traveller edition. Way to go San. I rue missing out on Kaziranga having been to Siliguri, Jalpaiguri, Phuntsholing, Gangtok, Darjeeling.
Old 26th August 2010, 21:05   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
I wouldn't actually credit the brits with conservation. They have literally wiped 75% of our wildlife in the name of big game hunting. It was only when it reached alarming proportions, that they started conserving. They have typically enjoyed shooting tigers.
Anyway, even now poachers are active only to cater to foreign markets.
Only thing is the west has now woken up to conservation. We are yet to.

Amazing photos you got there San.
As HVK points out, all your logs out of Guwahati are like Outlook traveller edition. Way to go San. I rue missing out on Kaziranga having been to Siliguri, Jalpaiguri, Phuntsholing, Gangtok, Darjeeling.
Right in the begining they had fun killing tigers mostly with local kings of princely States. But ultimately they realised their mistake and some of the hunters became the greatest of conservationists later in their life.

Now the killing goes on mostly for Chinese medicinal use. In north east Dimapur is the hub of this trade.

Manas bordering Bhutan was near to your loop, i am yet to go there myself.
Old 26th August 2010, 21:06   #23
Joy
BHPian

San, I am speechless...

Amazing photography. Been there 2/3 times while my dad was posted in Jorhat. Very beautiful place, quiet and serene atmosphere. Even the staff's are very courteous.

You are really making me nostalgic. Khub bhal lagise (feeling very good).

Keep it up, my friend.
Old 26th August 2010, 21:15   #24
BHPian

Bon Habie resort, Kohora

Nice well maintained place, rooms are wide and airy. Huge open space for children to play. Would suggest for newly weds.

They have a website

Welcome Bonhabi Resort

Guwahati getaways: A vanishing Kaziranga-j2.jpg

Guwahati getaways: A vanishing Kaziranga-j1.jpg

Guwahati getaways: A vanishing Kaziranga-j5.jpg

Guwahati getaways: A vanishing Kaziranga-j11.jpg

Guwahati getaways: A vanishing Kaziranga-j8.jpg

Guwahati getaways: A vanishing Kaziranga-j7.jpg

Guwahati getaways: A vanishing Kaziranga-j10.jpg

Guwahati getaways: A vanishing Kaziranga-j9.jpg

Guwahati getaways: A vanishing Kaziranga-j6.jpg

Guwahati getaways: A vanishing Kaziranga-j4.jpg
Old 26th August 2010, 21:19   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy View Post
San, I am speechless...

Amazing photography. Been there 2/3 times while my dad was posted in Jorhat. Very beautiful place, quiet and serene atmosphere. Even the staff's are very courteous.

You are really making me nostalgic. Khub bhal lagise (feeling very good).

Keep it up, my friend.
Thanks Joy, i had taken the elephant safari as a school goer with whole family way back and stayed at the Bonoshree lodge, so to see the place after so many years was really special.

I will see if i manage to get hold of some old snaps.
Old 26th August 2010, 21:22   #26
Joy
BHPian

I think now they have plenty of accommodations even some private one. Previously, when we visited it was like one or two accommodations of the state govt.

How many hotels/resorts are there, now?
Old 26th August 2010, 21:34   #27
BHPian

Quiet a few good ones infrastructure wise; Landmark Woods, IORA and Grasslands on top bracket. These three have come up in the last three four years.

Before, Wild Grass was the only private player. Apart from these Kohora area is full of lodges and smaller hotels catering to all budget.

Finally Kaziranga is ready for tourist, accomodation wise.

My final snaps would be on IORA, which i will add tomorrow along with some old snaps if possible.
Old 26th August 2010, 22:30   #28
Joy
BHPian

Please, try to do so regarding old snaps. All my snaps are misplaced while my parents moved from Guwahati to Kolkata. It should be lovely, Plea..se!
Old 27th August 2010, 11:52   #29
BHPian

Nagaon NH 37

Snapshots of Nagaon town, the district headquarter of Nagaon district in central Assam that falls on NH 37 or old Assam Trunk Road to Upper Assam.
The roads are narrow and filld with lots of two wheelers and rickshaws making it difficult & time consuming driving through the town.
The east west corridor planned by Vajpayee turns right from Nagaon towards Karbi Anglong, NC Hills which has become Dimaraji now and finally Silchar. So no two laning beyond Nagaon towards Upper Assam towns of Dibrugarh, Tinsukia etc.
This is one place on NH 37 that badly needs a bypass on Upper Assam section. Local petty pressure groups are against it as than long distance buses won't stop in their restaurents for lunch dinner breaks.

NAGAON District (Assam)----- official web site

Quote:
The Central Assam District of Nagaon (spelled by the British as Nowgong) is one of the largest districts of Assam. It sprawls across almost four thousand square kilometres of fertile alluvial plains and thickly forested hills. Lakes and marshes dot the landscape of Nagaon.
The mighty river Brahmaputra flows along the northern periphery of the district. Other major tributaries meandering through the district such as Kolong , Kopili and Jamuna drain into the Brahmaputra.
Lying at a distance of 123 kilometres by road from Guwahati, Nagaon town constitutes a vital corridor linking the Upper Assam districts of Golaghat, Jorhat, Sivasagar, Dibrugarh,Tinsukia and the North Assam districts of Sonitpur and N.Lakhimpur. The famous Kaziranga Game Sanctuary, home of the one-horned rhinoceros, stretches from the north-eastern parts of the district and spills into bordering Golaghat.
The history of the district as an administrative unit can be firmly traced only from the time of the British annexation, Nagaon passed into British hands in 1826 and was declared a district in 1833. The headquarters of the district were established in Nagaon in 1839. At one time, a large chunk of the Naga Hills, the Mikir Hills and North Cachar Hills were part of the district. With the passage of time, they were sliced away to form separate tribal district with autonomous hill councils.
During Freedom struggle, freedom fighters of Nagaon district actively participated in the struggle. The year 1942 saw the martyrdom of four freedom fighters at Barhampur, when police opend indisriminate firing on a group of people who had assembled to have a community feast after peacfully snatching back a Shanti Sena camp nearby. Those who sacrificed their lives there included the 57 year old Bhogeswari Phukanani, apart from Lakshmikanta Hazarika, Thagiram Sut and Boloram Sut. At Bebejia, also in Nagaon district, were killed Kalai Koch and Hemkanta Barua, while two others Hemaram Keot and Gunabhiram Bordoloi laid down their lives at Jongalbalahu, followed by the martyrdom of Tilak Deka at Barapujiya.
Weather is wet and humid. The absence of a dry, hot summer and plentiful rainfall are the main characteristics. Winter stretches from December to February. It is followed by the pre-monsoon season of thunderstorms. The South-West Monsoon lasts from June to October.
January the coldest month with temperatures varying from 10 degree celsius to 24 degree celsius. April and May are the warmest months with the mercury soaring to 35 degree celsius at times.
Nagaon is well connected by road, rail and river. The North -East Frontier railway has its Divisional headquarters in Lumding which is connected with all important centres in the district. The conversion of the meter gauge track to broad gauge from Guwahati to Lumding has eased the transportation problem of the region.
While the Brahmaputra offers tremendous scope as a waterway, rivers like the Jamuna , Kolong and Kopili are frequently used for water transport. Dhing town on the Brahmaputra was a well known steamer ghat in days past. Even now, milk and agricultural products are transported from Dhing by boat.
The road, rail and river network serve as the outlet for the fertile hinterland. Among the major agricultural products are rice, sugarcane, mustard, jute, coconuts, bananas and vegetables.
Many rice and oil mills have come up over the years. The jute and sugar sector have made a mark. Many small scale industrial units have developed. Proper geographical exploration of the alluvial tracts may yield valuable oil-bearing tertiary formations.
Among the developmental programmes alreadyimplemented are the Integrated Rural Development Programme (IRDP), the Jawahar Rozgar Yojana (JRY), the training of Rural Youth for self employment (TRYSEM), Development of Women and Children in Rural Areas (DWCRA), and being implemented are Integrated Child Development Scheme (ICDS), Adult Education, National Watershed Development Programme for Rainfed Areas (NWDPRA), Oilseed Production Programme, the special Jute Development Programme and the Integrated Programme for Rice Development.
One welfare organisation of Nagaon that deserves special mention is the Sreemanta Sankara Mission set up in 1950. The Mission consists of an Eye Hospital, an Orphanage and a School for the blind and its activities are spread all over Assam.
Among places of interest are Batadrava, birthplace of Srimanta Sankardeva, the outstanding vaishnava reformer of the sixteenth century. Dabaka, located 35 Kms away from Nagaon, is mentioned in the Allahabad inscription of Samudra Gupta and littered with ruins of ancient temples. Hojai renowned as Assams's granary, is famous for agar, an aromatic substance which is used in perfumes and is widely exported to Arab countries. The SOS village in Hojai, opened in the aftermath of the Nellie massacre in 1983, is a unique institution for orphaned children. Jugijan in southern Nagaon, boasts of the remnants of a fort, and temples decorated with bas-reliefs. Kaliabor, by the Kolong river, has been the scene of several critical battles of the Ahoms. The great peasant's uprising of 1861 took place at Phulaguri, where Lt. Singer, the Assistant Commissioner, lost his life in attempting to subdue the sentiments of an aggrieved peasantry.
Guwahati getaways: A vanishing Kaziranga-dsc00157.jpg

Guwahati getaways: A vanishing Kaziranga-dsc00158.jpg

Guwahati getaways: A vanishing Kaziranga-dsc00159.jpg

Guwahati getaways: A vanishing Kaziranga-dsc00160.jpg

Guwahati getaways: A vanishing Kaziranga-dsc00161.jpg

Guwahati getaways: A vanishing Kaziranga-dsc00162.jpg

Guwahati getaways: A vanishing Kaziranga-dsc00163.jpg

Guwahati getaways: A vanishing Kaziranga-dsc00164.jpg

Guwahati getaways: A vanishing Kaziranga-dsc00166.jpg

Guwahati getaways: A vanishing Kaziranga-dsc00167.jpg

Guwahati getaways: A vanishing Kaziranga-dsc00169.jpg

Guwahati getaways: A vanishing Kaziranga-dsc00170.jpg