Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2010, 15:49   #1
BHPian

Virtual Drive through Tamhini Ghat

Name:  tripod_on_car.jpg
Views: 7961
Size:  65.4 KB
Was on an evening drive to Tamhini Ghat on Independence day. This was a good opportunity to try out the combination of two new gadgets which i had. One was the Sony DSC TX5 , which i purchased primarily for 2 reasons - for taking videos of my daughter and for its waterproof-ness. The other one was a Joby magnetic tripod.
So, put the tripod on my car bonnet (is this the correct word?) with the camera. Since this was my first attempt with the tripod on a moving platform, i attached the camera's strap to my wiper just to be safe.
The end result: A beautiful virtual drive through Tamhini Ghat. It is a 9 minute video and you may find it boring at times. But this was just a pilot and the video is highly compressed (for youtube). Watch out for more interesting drive-throughs! Around 2:35, you should see a scene often enacted on the ghats around Pune.
The video on youtube.
Old 31st August 2010, 18:17   #2
BHPian

Rajaram, the video came out real well and scenic is the drive! 2.45 onwards, what was the moron trying to achieve? He seemed to be in high spirits. It was a good idea not relying on the magnetic property of the tripod and hooking the camera to the wiper. BTW, how much did the tripod cost?

Last edited by ExtremeTorque : 31st August 2010 at 18:19.
Old 31st August 2010, 19:39   #3
Senior - BHPian

The drive is indeed very nice, it looks all looks so fresh with the greenery around. And I notice no one wears any helmets in that part.

Anyways, thanks for posting.
Old 31st August 2010, 20:06   #4
MX6
Senior - BHPian

That's a good one. I've been trying to source a Vehicle recorder with inbuilt GPS (one I saw with who else but our great HVK). I've now found it available in Amazon. Just waiting for the price to drop down.
One should look at the leh videos of HVK. Awesome.
Old 7th September 2010, 16:50   #5
BHPian

The tripod costs around 25 USD (magnetic one) and around 18 USD (non magnetic one). It is called Joby Gorillapod and is available on amazon. Last weekend, i went on the Kaas Plateau with the tripod stuck to the door handle ..So i had the cemra facing the front from the side with half of the camera seeing the road and the other half seeing the reflection on the body of the car. Will upload it soon.

Most Viewed