Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2012, 13:05   #76
BHPian

Re: Headed to Sundarbans in search of the elusive Royal Bengal Tiger

I had also felt so, but then I stopped worrying. The boat capsize accident happened quite far away from where we were staying and even though it was in the outer periphery of Sundarbans, it was no where closer to the Sundarbans National Park. And the boat or rather launch, as its called locally, that capsized was something similar to what we would now use for the next 1 and 1/2 day for visiting the inner parts of the riverine delta[/quote]

It is too late but i would love to see more updates on this please. Searching for a complete and exhaust travelogue on Sunderbans but failed. Request yout update the visit into the forest and mangroves.
Subrat
Old 19th April 2015, 20:41   #77
BANNED

Re: whither man eaters in sunderbans

Quote:
Originally Posted by abheekg View Post
sunderban tigers have adapted to the high salinity of the marine ecosystem.

salinity of sea water is nearly same as that of of the human body.

a large number of human attacks by tigers are a result of the tigers getting confused with the salinity of the human body.

it has got nothing to do with tigers there being man eaters.

regards,
Dr. A Ghosh

Hello Dr Ghosh,
That is an interesting observation - about the relative salinity in the human body having an influence on the Sunderbans' tiger's food habits.

I remember reading in one of Jim Corbett's books (as schoolboys in the 60's we cut our reading teeth on his books!), his mentioning that a prevalent belief among the local terai population at the time ('30s) held that the maneaters acquired a taste for human flesh because of the relatively higher salt content! He reserved his judgement on the issue.

Best regards,
Shashanka

Most Viewed