Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2010, 22:17   #16
Senior - BHPian

Guys timings are critical in these areas. Please dont try to push your luck and cut it by a very thin margin. Keep Mid October as the outside limit for anything beyond Rohtang from Manali side while End October can be a safe option from Kinnaur till Kaza.
Tanveer, bring it on praji where is the long update?
Old 6th September 2010, 22:26   #17
BANNED

OMG......! Tanveer and his White Elephant yet again.

Glued to this thread.
Old 7th September 2010, 08:48   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

And here you go again.... rubbing salt to injury!!
Do you carry a GPS with you? I think you must be knowing about this area better than the GPS by now!!
I can already imagine you trudging along in your white elephant while you and your gps keep talking,

Please take a left 200m ahead!
Shut up you dumb box, there is a road there!! I should take a right, stones, gravel, seems interesting!!

Seriously, with almost every other trip into the great mountains, I think you must have accumulated a treasure worth of info - destinations, routes et all.

Last edited by Dry Ice : 7th September 2010 at 08:52.
Old 7th September 2010, 09:53   #19
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Nope. Around end sept PWD digs up the road so that no vehicles can attempt c'taal as snow often blocks the road.
Only when the snow melts they clear the road.
In november 99% of the time kunzum also closes. Rohtang can remain open, but a heavy snowfall can close it.
If you cross and it snows, you can be stranded there.
If you want to do this, you have to do it before sept ends, or atleast by early october.
Thank you Tanveer. So, what places at HP do you think can be attempted with a fair degree of risk in the winter months? Also, would they be worth going to at all in your opinion or is it prudent to wait for the snow to melt/reduce and then do a trip?
Old 7th September 2010, 12:38   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
OMG......! Tanveer and his White Elephant yet again.

Glued to this thread.
Thanks PAVAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
And here you go again.... rubbing salt to injury!!
Do you carry a GPS with you? I think you must be knowing about this area better than the GPS by now!!
I can already imagine you trudging along in your white elephant while you and your gps keep talking,

Please take a left 200m ahead!
Shut up you dumb box, there is a road there!! I should take a right, stones, gravel, seems interesting!!

Seriously, with almost every other trip into the great mountains, I think you must have accumulated a treasure worth of info - destinations, routes et all.
Yup I do carry a GPS, but my GPS does not tell me anything, it just shows where I am. Since many of the maps I use are self created, I rarely need to look at the GPS, unless I am navigating by "as the crow flies"
Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Thank you Tanveer. So, what places at HP do you think can be attempted with a fair degree of risk in the winter months? Also, would they be worth going to at all in your opinion or is it prudent to wait for the snow to melt/reduce and then do a trip?
Well you can go to Kalpa/Manali/Narkanda area/Kaza(Spiti). All these places are accessible.
Kalpa(Kinnaur) and Kaza(Spiti) may be difficult due to lesser number of hotels available.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2010, 13:47   #21
Team-BHP Support

Lahaul Cont...

I decided to move to the passenger seat and relax a bit, with wife on the drivers seat.
The lake of the moon and the Spiti Sprint!-996564941_wslwmxl.jpg
The road gets worse, and more water crossings start to appear
The lake of the moon and the Spiti Sprint!-996554318_mvfazxl.jpg

the one you see above is tricky.
The water is not much, but the rocks are much bigger. Normally 2WD vehicles, even cars attempt such with speed, or half clutch. We do not like to abuse the vehicle.
So its time for 4L. In first gear you can crawl at extremely low speeds.

Unfortunately, a bus comes from the opposite direction, our first vehicle in many kms.
She reverses over the narrow road for 50 meters, and the bus can pass.
I decide to shoot from outside.
Pardon my shaky video, I was signaling with one hand, and shooting with other.

Crossing done, we encounter a traffic jam, the only kind you get here
The lake of the moon and the Spiti Sprint!-996327582_akgsmxl.jpg

Progress is slow, and time is nearing 11:30

I take the reins again few kms from Chotta Dharra, we will soon begin the climb to kumzum.
Barely 2kms into the climb is the turn off for Chandertal, the lake of the moon
The lake of the moon and the Spiti Sprint!-996558129_p5byfxl.jpg

The lake of the moon and the Spiti Sprint!-996350713_apkdnxl.jpg

And finally, the bridge over Chandra river near Batal
The lake of the moon and the Spiti Sprint!-996561409_2nedzxl.jpg

The peaks.
The lake of the moon and the Spiti Sprint!-996381723_dsh7zxl.jpg
Its almost noon when we turn of in the road. The narrowest road I have ever ever seen

Last edited by tsk1979 : 7th September 2010 at 13:59.
Old 7th September 2010, 13:55   #22
Senior - BHPian

bring it on, we are glued. The driving conditions in the rain picture was scary. You were indeed driving quite late in the night on these routes when you started first.

I guess the sheeps are not wild and some locals would also be there manning them

Last edited by tanwaramit : 7th September 2010 at 13:58.
Old 7th September 2010, 14:00   #23
BHPian

Quote:
I'm so, so envious of you! I was here on 12-Aug and it was cloudy as hell :( All my photos came out horrible due to the lack of light. When I see this picture, it makes me want to go back there as soon as possible!

EDIT: I am talking about the Chandratal picture. The image is somehow not coming up on the reply post.

Last edited by subhashnm : 7th September 2010 at 14:02. Reason: To add more info
Old 7th September 2010, 14:03   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
bring it on, we are glued. The driving conditions in the rain picture was scary. You were indeed driving quite late in the night on these routes when you started first.

I guess the sheeps are not wild and some locals would also be there manning them
Yes, the sheeps are domesticated. You can call them sweater
As for the night driving, we would have crossed rohtang in daylight, but immediately after marhi fog became so thick that I did not dare drive above 5kmph.
As conditions became worse, the lumbering trucks which we are in such a hurry to overtake became the beacons!
Old 7th September 2010, 14:08   #25
BHPian

@tsk1979 : Wow....amazing pics man. I see both and Safari in the pics, Which one did you take? And also which camera did you use. The pictures are mind blowing. Hope I can do this route one day.
Old 7th September 2010, 14:12   #26
Team-BHP Support

"The Road" to Chandertal

Road is a misnomer here. I would call it a goat track. Its definitely not built for the safari. Got a Maruti 800? Well then its great. Got a qualis, even then its okay. Got a sumo... well its still okay.
Got a safari?
You better be afraid, very very afraid.
Its not the terrain, or the water crossings, or the rocky sections.
Its the narrowness.
The narrowness kills you.
Barely one km into the track, we come across a few large boulders on the side.
There is not enough space to sqeeze through, atleast it looks like that.
So here my wife has to get out. I shift to 4L for speed control and traction if any one wheel decides to go off the cliff.
Inch my inch she guides me to the edge. The two left wheels are on the cliff edge now, the front right wheel clears the boulders, but there is a slight hitch.
The footguard is rubbing against the boulders.
Well no worry. Food guards are for rubbing.
Slowly I start subconciously squeezing the foot guard even more.
And we are across.

After that there is this puny waterfall on the road, and the narrow road continues.
We both are worried - What if another vehicle comes.
Barely halfway into the track we come across a wide section. A rarity.
And its over here I spot a few white spects on the road far away.
Sumo's and qualis. Coming at me.
They are very far away, and they will take a good 15 minutes to reach us.
But I dare not drive forward. The road is so narrow that we may have to reverse a few hundred meters!
A truly daunting task.

So we just sit and enjoy the view.

the river chandra. To its source we will go
The lake of the moon and the Spiti Sprint!-996330335_c4kfgxl.jpg

The lake of the moon and the Spiti Sprint!-996392989_tjvnxxl.jpg

The ride and the road. The wide section near the foreground is the rare turnout, and as you can see, the track is very narrow.
The lake of the moon and the Spiti Sprint!-996411931_9dozvxl.jpg

The lake of the moon and the Spiti Sprint!-996407734_cdbvdxl.jpg
One by one the taxis pass us. The last one tells us that 1 more is coming, and we should wait.
The tourists also nod. They are sweating, esp the ones sitting on the drop side.
Thankfully. I am on the mountain side. So my wife is doing the sweating!

Finally a good 15 minutes of stop later, all the taxis, a total of 6 have passed us. Its a really busy lake after all!

TO BE CONT.......

Last edited by tsk1979 : 7th September 2010 at 14:14.
Old 7th September 2010, 14:32   #27
BHPian

My God Tanveer !. You are at it again. Hats off to you for managing your time and showering us with these wonderful travelogues and adventures of yours.

I remember reading your experience last years attempt to Chandertal and looks like you have conquered. Coming to snaps, I must admit that each one is a marvel and the locations are just beautiful. You are giving us wonderful experiences.

Thank you and have rated 5 *(this will be the max i can give here)

Cheers,
Manjunath
Old 7th September 2010, 14:42   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by chethan.ram View Post
@tsk1979 : Wow....amazing pics man. I see both and Safari in the pics, Which one did you take? And also which camera did you use. The pictures are mind blowing. Hope I can do this route one day.
Thanks chetan, I have a 350D with 10-24 tamron lens and panasonic FZ-35
Quote:
Originally Posted by subhashnm View Post
I'm so, so envious of you! I was here on 12-Aug and it was cloudy as hell :( All my photos came out horrible due to the lack of light. When I see this picture, it makes me want to go back there as soon as possible!

EDIT: I am talking about the Chandratal picture. The image is somehow not coming up on the reply post.
Conditions change there every day. Last time when we attempted this, it was sunny in the morning, and when we came back it was snowing in lahaul!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Ranger View Post
My God Tanveer !. You are at it again. Hats off to you for managing your time and showering us with these wonderful travelogues and adventures of yours.

I remember reading your experience last years attempt to Chandertal and looks like you have conquered. Coming to snaps, I must admit that each one is a marvel and the locations are just beautiful. You are giving us wonderful experiences.

Thank you and have rated 5 *(this will be the max i can give here)

Cheers,
Manjunath
Thanks manjunath
Old 7th September 2010, 15:01   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks chetan, I have a 350D with 10-24 tamron lens and panasonic FZ-35
You didn't answer my question on Esteem and Safari.
Old 7th September 2010, 15:06   #30
BHPian

Tanveer, beautiful TL accompanied by some brilliant pics.
Having driven on this road recently, I would like to add a few points in bold to your TL. Hope you don't mind.

Quote:
Road is a misnomer here. I would call it a goat track. Its definitely not built for the safari. Got a Maruti 800? Well then its great. Got a qualis, even then its okay. Got a sumo... well its still okay.
Got a safari?
You better be afraid, very very afraid.
Same holds true for a Bolero, that too one with alloys!
Its not the terrain, or the water crossings, or the rocky sections.
Its the narrowness.
The narrowness kills you.
Barely one km into the track, we come across a few large boulders on the side.
There is not enough space to sqeeze through, atleast it looks like that. +1 to that!
So here my wife has to get out. I shift to 4L for speed control and traction if any one wheel decides to go off the cliff.
Inch my inch she guides me to the edge. The two left wheels are on the cliff edge now, the front right wheel clears the boulders, but there is a slight hitch.
The footguard is rubbing against the boulders.
Well no worry. Food guards are for rubbing.
Slowly I start subconciously squeezing the foot guard even more.
And we are across.

After that there is this puny waterfall on the road, and the narrow road continues.
We both are worried - What if another vehicle comes. Our sentiments all through the drive!
Barely halfway into the track we come across a wide section. A rarity.
And its over here I spot a few white spects on the road far away.
Sumo's and qualis. Coming at me.
They are very far away, and they will take a good 15 minutes to reach us.
But I dare not drive forward. The road is so narrow that we may have to reverse a few hundred meters!
A truly daunting task.

So we just sit and enjoy the view.

the river chandra. To its source we will go
Attachment 419814

Attachment 419815

The ride and the road. The wide section near the foreground is the rare turnout, and as you can see, the track is very narrow.
Attachment 419817

Attachment 419816
One by one the taxis pass us. The last one tells us that 1 more is coming, and we should wait.
The tourists also nod. They are sweating, esp the ones sitting on the drop side.
Thankfully. I am on the mountain side. So my wife is doing the sweating!

Finally a good 15 minutes of stop later, all the taxis, a total of 6 have passed us. Its a really busy lake after all!
We were lucky that we did not encounter any traffic, either while going or coming!
TO BE CONT.......

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks