Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2010, 23:39   #1
BHPian

Thumping Solo - Melukote

September 6th, 2010.

It was a three day weekend for us as it was a US holiday on Monday. Saturday and Sunday were already gone and I was about to hit the bed and it was then I decided to go for a ride on Monday morning. My companion for this ride was none other than my Electra and the destination was Melukote.

Bangalore - Melukote
Distance - 133kms (one side)

I got up early in the morning and left my place at 6:00am. Since I was riding solo, I didn't have to wait for anyone. Tanked up my vehicle in Kengeri and started maintaining a constant speed of 75-80kmph. I stopped in Shivalli Restaurant near Maddur for breakfast. As usual had Pongal with Raitha and a hot cup of coffee. Since it was a weekday the traffic was pretty less and I soon reached Mandya. I took a deviation towards Melukote which is around 33kms from Mandya. The roads was pretty decent even after Mandya and they were decorated by sugarcane fields on either side of them. Finally reached Melukote at 9:30am.

There are two temples here. One is a Yoga-Narasimha Swamy Temple and the other is a Cheluvanarayana Swamy Temple. I parked my bike and started climbing the hill as the Yoga-Narasimha Swamy Temple is on top of the hill. Reached the temple after climbing 250 steps, prayed to god, spent some time watching the nature from top of the hill. Climbed down the temple and visited the Kalyani (pond). This place was pretty crowded as they were shooting a movie. I just took couple of pictures and headed towards the Chaluvanarayana Swamy Temple. I sat for few minutes to relax as my legs need some rest after climbing the hill. There was a group who had come for Temple visit saw my bike and each one of them took pictures sitting on the bike. Of course they asked for my permission before doing it. By 10:30am I was done with everything and decided to leave the place.On the way back, I came across a small lake, reached there after encountering few bad village roads. Took few pictures and left the place. I also visited an Aalemane and you find plenty of them on either side of the road. Aalemane is the place where they prepare jaggery by extracting sugarcane juice. I took pictures of process step by step, had a small piece of jaggery and left the place. My next stop was at Kamat Lokaruchi near Ramanagar, but did not eat anything as I was not so hungry. I had a cup of hot coffee, shopped few things for home and left the place. Throughout the ride the weather was really nice and was perfect for riding with few drops of rain in between. Finally reached home by 2:00pm completing my first solo ride.

I have attached few pictures including the ones I took in Aalemane.
Attached Thumbnails
Thumping Solo - Melukote-1.jpg  

Thumping Solo - Melukote-2.jpg  

Thumping Solo - Melukote-3.jpg  

Thumping Solo - Melukote-4.jpg  

Thumping Solo - Melukote-5.jpg  

Thumping Solo - Melukote-6.jpg  

Thumping Solo - Melukote-7.jpg  

Thumping Solo - Melukote-8.jpg  

Thumping Solo - Melukote-9.jpg  

Thumping Solo - Melukote-10.jpg  

Thumping Solo - Melukote-11.jpg  

Thumping Solo - Melukote-12.jpg  

Thumping Solo - Melukote-14.jpg  

Thumping Solo - Melukote-15.jpg  

Thumping Solo - Melukote-16.jpg  

Thumping Solo - Melukote-17.jpg  

Thumping Solo - Melukote-18.jpg  

Thumping Solo - Melukote-19.jpg  

Thumping Solo - Melukote-20.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by chethan.ram : 6th September 2010 at 23:43.
Old 7th September 2010, 13:14   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hi Chethan

That was a short but sweet trip you had.
Aalemane pictures are good. i wanted to show this to my daughter, now i know where to go

thanks for sharing.
Old 7th September 2010, 13:35   #3
BHPian

@ StarVegabond : Thanks, if you go in car you can also get home some jaggery, they give it to you at a very good price.
Old 7th September 2010, 15:53   #4
BHPian

HI Chetan

Nice little write up but am sure it gave you immense satisfaction of not having to wait for anybody to catch up. Sometimes, the best company you can have is your own self.

Do they mix anything with the sugarcane juice of is it just boiled and cooled?

Subs
Old 7th September 2010, 16:01   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subs View Post
HI Chetan

Nice little write up but am sure it gave you immense satisfaction of not having to wait for anybody to catch up. Sometimes, the best company you can have is your own self.

Do they mix anything with the sugarcane juice of is it just boiled and cooled?

Subs
It was my first solo ride and it really gave me immense satisfaction.

About the Sugarcane, I don't think they mix anything. I actually wanted to ask, but none of them knew the local language Kannada and my Hindi is very poor. Will sure find out and let you know about this.
Old 7th September 2010, 16:14   #6
BHPian

Hey Chetan!! Great ride and am sure there is no greater joy than doing a ride Solo. The route you selected is great with full of greenery and all the rustic elements of our Indian rural life. Liked the pic of your bike near the lake
"There was a group who had come for Temple visit saw my bike and each one of them took pictures sitting on the bike"
Well well nothing to pamper the soul than a bit of adulation of our iron steed!! Congrats on your first solo ride...Keep thumping
Old 7th September 2010, 17:26   #7
Senior - BHPian

Nice little writeup. Melukote is a nice place. BTW, have you missed the RaiGopura and the twin ponds which are almost just next to the Cheluvanarayana Swamy Temple?
Old 7th September 2010, 17:53   #8
Senior - BHPian

Nice writeup there Chetan, I always huf and puff after climbing those final few steps at the temple and once on top, the peace and tranquilty is beautiful.
Good pictures too, really "sweet".
Old 7th September 2010, 18:07   #9
Team-BHP Support

Nice one Chetan. First Devrayanadurga and now Melkote!
Great. That is one place pending on my side for a long time.
Old 7th September 2010, 18:43   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhkris View Post
Hey Chetan!! Great ride and am sure there is no greater joy than doing a ride Solo. The route you selected is great with full of greenery and all the rustic elements of our Indian rural life. Liked the pic of your bike near the lake
"There was a group who had come for Temple visit saw my bike and each one of them took pictures sitting on the bike"
Well well nothing to pamper the soul than a bit of adulation of our iron steed!! Congrats on your first solo ride...Keep thumping
Thanks Madhu. The satisfaction you get once you complete a solo ride matches nothing. And about the greenery, it was just green, green, green everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Nice little writeup. Melukote is a nice place. BTW, have you missed the RaiGopura and the twin ponds which are almost just next to the Cheluvanarayana Swamy Temple?
Thanks for your comments. I visited the Raigopura and the twin ponds, but couldn't take the pics as my camera started acting little cranky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
Nice writeup there Chetan, I always huf and puff after climbing those final few steps at the temple and once on top, the peace and tranquilty is beautiful.
Good pictures too, really "sweet".
Thank you. It was indeed very tiring for me especially after the final few steps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Nice one Chetan. First Devrayanadurga and now Melkote!
Great. That is one place pending on my side for a long time.
Thanks ampere. I have done lot of other trips on my bike, will post the write ups soon along with the pictures. Since you said you have not done Melukote yet, I would suggest you do it.
Old 7th September 2010, 21:57   #11
BHPian

Hi Chetan, Nice to see a fellow biker here. Nice crisp log you have put together. And according to me, riding solo is the best way to cover places. Your DD Hills log was also good. Looking forward to more such rides from you in future.

Last edited by Nutty Nair : 7th September 2010 at 21:58.
Old 7th September 2010, 22:49   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutty Nair View Post
Hi Chetan, Nice to see a fellow biker here. Nice crisp log you have put together. And according to me, riding solo is the best way to cover places. Your DD Hills log was also good. Looking forward to more such rides from you in future.
Thanks Nutty Nair. I have done lot of rides and will be posting the trip logs soon.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks