Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2010, 06:15   #1
BHPian

Kemmannugundi Calling

Every time I talk about a trip, it’s always on by Bullet. Our friend Chandan who is not part of our Bullet group always wanted to go for a drive and has been telling us for quite some time. Finally we decided on a drive in his(Chandan) car.

Destination : Kemmannugundi
Date : August 7th and 8th, 2010
Car : Hyundai Verna CRDI
Gang : Chandan, Vathsa, Hari and myself.

Day 1

It was 4:30am, Vathsa, Chandan and myself met in front of Dell in Koramangala Intermediate Ring Road. We headed straight to Vidyaranyapura to pick Hari from his place. We picked him up, had a small break for coffee and left the place at 6:00am. I was enjoying sitting at the back seat. I hardly get to sit there in my car as I would be driving most of the time. We decided to take the Hassan route, which turned out to be a bad decision. We stopped in Kamat near Channarayapatna for breakfast. Our next stop was at Chikamagalur to ask for directions to Kemmannugundi. Once we reached the ghat section, it was nothing but heaven. It was already 11:30am and no way we could feel it. It looked like it was just 6 or 7 in the morning. We kept stopping as and when we found a beautiful spots to take the pictures. As we proceeded further the roads got worse and it was a driver/owner’s nightmare. The roads were so bad that we could reach Kemmannugundi only by 2:30pm. We enquired few places for stay and everything was full. That is when we realized that we need to book the rooms well in advance. We had no options but to leave, we had lunch there and decided to go to Abbey Falls. But we were advised not to take our car as the roads were very bad, but we were asked to hire a jeep and we were also told it would take 3-4 hours for us to go and come back. We could have done that had we got the staying option in Kemmannugundi, but we had to go and search for a hotel in Chikamagalur which we were not sure of getting. We were told by few locals about Kalatti Falls which is found on the way to Chikamagalur and hence decided to go there. This place was so nice that we spent close to an hour playing in the water. The water was freezing cold and we got used to it after few minutes. There was a Ganesha temple next to the falls, we went there straight out of water, prayed and left to Chikamagalur. We were lucky enough to get a decent room and we all had a sound sleep as we all were really tired.

Day 2

We all got ready by 8:30am, had breakfast and left the place. The first stop for the day was at Belur. We visited the temple which speaks about the art and architecture of the Hoysala Empire. We took the temple tour, took pictures, had tender coconuts and left the place. We headed towards Halebeed which is also a historical place. The artistic walls of the temple were treat to the eyes and the green grass around the temple was so inviting that we couldn't stop ourselves from going there. We all relaxed on the grass and we got so lazy and we didn't want to get up from there. We managed to leave and reached Hassan by 1:30pm. We stopped for lunch, filled fuel and headed towards Shravanabelagola. This place needs no introduction. The monolithic statue of Bahubali says it all. We had to get to the top of the hill to be able to see the statue. We started climbing the hill and believe me, climbing 700 steps after a heavy lunch is not an easy task. With couple of breaks in between, we managed to reach the hill top. The 57 feet statue speaks for itself and it was really mind blowing. We took a much needed rest for few minutes and climbed down the hill. Climbing down was easier and was less tiring. We all had tender coconuts and left the place by 5:00pm. Once we reached Bangalore, we all got down according to our convenience and finally reached home at 9:00pm.
Attached Thumbnails
Kemmannugundi Calling-dsc03736.jpg  

Kemmannugundi Calling-dsc03760.jpg  

Kemmannugundi Calling-dsc03762.jpg  

Kemmannugundi Calling-dsc03763.jpg  

Kemmannugundi Calling-dsc03764.jpg  

Kemmannugundi Calling-dsc03767.jpg  

Kemmannugundi Calling-dsc03768.jpg  

Kemmannugundi Calling-dsc03780.jpg  

Kemmannugundi Calling-dsc03786.jpg  

Kemmannugundi Calling-dsc03821.jpg  

Kemmannugundi Calling-dsc03845.jpg  

Kemmannugundi Calling-dsc03851.jpg  

Kemmannugundi Calling-dsc03863.jpg  

Kemmannugundi Calling-dsc03886.jpg  

Kemmannugundi Calling-p8080007.jpg  

Kemmannugundi Calling-dsc00367.jpg  

Kemmannugundi Calling-dsc03890.jpg  

Kemmannugundi Calling-dsc03906.jpg  

Kemmannugundi Calling-dsc03901.jpg  

Kemmannugundi Calling-dsc03874.jpg  

Last edited by chethan.ram : 9th September 2010 at 06:18.
Old 9th September 2010, 14:09   #2
Senior - BHPian

chethan you went all the way to Kemmungundi and never visited Hebbe ? Here's what you missed, check this link .

Quote:
The roads were so bad that we could reach Kemmannugundi only by 2:30pm
Looks like you took the route which leads to bababudangiri and drove further on to reach Kemmungundi. Here's the route we did
Quote:
Route taken : Chikmagalur--Aralaguppe--Thogarihankal--Lingadahalli and take a left at the Petrol bunk.This detour is easy to spot,simply watch out for the pertol bunk. From here on its 21kms roughly to Kemmungundi.
Old 9th September 2010, 14:17   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
chethan you went all the way to Kemmungundi and never visited Hebbe ? Here's what you missed, check this link .

Looks like you took the route which leads to bababudangiri and drove further on to reach Kemmungundi. Here's the route we did
Yes, we know we missed Abbey, we were told by few people to go soon, otherwise we might not get a stay in Chikamagalur as well. And yes we took the route which leads to Bababudangiri and drove further, which consumed lot of time.
Old 9th September 2010, 14:51   #4
Senior - BHPian

Abbey (ಅಬ್ಬೆ ) is in Kodagu! This is Hebbe (ಹೆಬ್ಬೆ). Nicely packed 2 days trip.

Last edited by srishiva : 9th September 2010 at 14:53.
Old 9th September 2010, 15:38   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Abbey (ಅಬ್ಬೆ ) is in Kodagu! This is Hebbe (ಹೆಬ್ಬೆ). Nicely packed 2 days trip.
My apologies. Got confused between Abbey and Hebbe.

Guys, please read it as Hebbe wherever I have mentioned Abbey.
Old 9th September 2010, 16:44   #6
BHPian

Once More?

Nice travelogue and good photographs Chetan(although would have liked you to add a few HD ones)..Beautiful, crisp writeup too. Why don't you plan a trip on your first love -Bullet- to what you missed this time-Hebbe falls (rtstyles's link is very tempting)
Old 9th September 2010, 16:46   #7
BHPian

@rjstyles69: Here's what you missed, check this link .
Really liked your thread and wonderful photography there. Full justice to nature.(OT: which camera and lens?)

Mods: Sorry repeated posts back to back.It was intended for different people.

Last edited by madhkris : 9th September 2010 at 16:48. Reason: Back to back posts
Old 9th September 2010, 17:02   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhkris View Post
Nice travelogue and good photographs Chetan(although would have liked you to add a few HD ones)..Beautiful, crisp writeup too. Why don't you plan a trip on your first love -Bullet- to what you missed this time-Hebbe falls (rtstyles's link is very tempting)
Why don't we all plan it some time. Since I want to do Goa in November, I do not want to do anything till then, after that we can certainly plan it.
Old 9th September 2010, 17:49   #9
Team-BHP Support

Nice snaps. Looks like you had a an amazing time!
But this time not with bullet!
Old 9th September 2010, 18:38   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Nice snaps. Looks like you had a an amazing time!
But this time not with bullet!
Yes man, it was awesome fun, especially in the water falls. Can't believe we stayed in freezing water for close to an hour. Yes, not in Bullet this time, but soon will ride in my Bullet to check out Hebbe which we missed this time.
Old 9th September 2010, 18:44   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhkris View Post
Really liked your thread and wonderful photography there. Full justice to nature.(OT: which camera and lens?)
Thanks. My good ole Nikon D80 and a few lenses from my collection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chethan.ram View Post
but soon will ride in my Bullet to check out Hebbe which we missed this time.
Definitely not a good idea if you plan to ride to Hebbe from Kemmungundi. Its a beaten path of close to 8/9 kms that you need to ride and definitely not recommended. Its not difficult to accomplish but then its best done in jeep, get the drift ?
Old 9th September 2010, 19:03   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Definitely not a good idea if you plan to ride to Hebbe from Kemmungundi. Its a beaten path of close to 8/9 kms that you need to ride and definitely not recommended. Its not difficult to accomplish but then its best done in jeep, get the drift ?
No, we won't be doing that. We'll park the bikes in Kemmannugundi and take a jeep from there.
Old 9th September 2010, 20:33   #13
BHPian

We have done the trip to Kemmangundi from office, we had booked stay in Lalbagh before going there.
Roads to Hebbe falls is strictly for 4X4 and route had spectacular views of mountains. and coffee estates.We enjoyed a lot in playing the falls and i can say it is one of the best falls in Karnataka.
Old 10th September 2010, 12:11   #14
Senior - BHPian

Hey Chethan, the title of your thread is the same I posted on my facebook page last week, before I left for a trek to Kemmangundi. But, unluckily I could not complete the trek.

Very nice pics dude. I'm surprised the mist even let you take good pics. But, this is the best time to visit this region,
Old 10th September 2010, 14:37   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Hey Chethan, the title of your thread is the same I posted on my facebook page last week, before I left for a trek to Kemmangundi. But, unluckily I could not complete the trek.

Very nice pics dude. I'm surprised the mist even let you take good pics. But, this is the best time to visit this region,
The title must be a coincidence. Why don't you share a brief write up about the trek and the pictures if you have any?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks