Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2010, 15:08   #61
Senior - BHPian

Awesome, you guys were so lucky to find tigers. I'm feeling jealous of you guys. Lovely photos to boot, you people had really good time there.

BTW, just wanna ask something, I've seen one person wearing Red and another Black Tee for the Safari. Aren't these the worst colors to wear while visit a jungle? What I heard is that Red and Black are two colors that's better avoided while on a jungle Safari. I might be wrong. Please correct me incase.
Old 24th September 2010, 15:37   #62
BHPian

Some of my tiger shots from this trip....

Here are some of my tiger shots from this trip... from the first drive as we entered the park. And you guys are right, entering first increases the chances of encountering animals on the way.
........all of them shot with my 400mm or 300mm handheld - one handed while steering my gypsy trying to keep the vehicle infront all the other vehicles.

you may find a similarity between prooja's ,hriday's and my shots, but thats bound to happen as all of us were seeing the same scenes and shooting away to glory. My shots were from the lowest angle. try to compare the shots and see if you can appreciate that.

Leaving the monsoons behind
Nobody can assure you a Tiger, and thats the fun of it - Team BHP meet at Tadoba !-leaving-monsoons-behind.jpg

Walking out on the road
Nobody can assure you a Tiger, and thats the fun of it - Team BHP meet at Tadoba !-walking-out-road-copy.jpg

Looking back
Nobody can assure you a Tiger, and thats the fun of it - Team BHP meet at Tadoba !-looking-back.jpg

More on the way.....

regards,
Dr. A Ghosh
Old 24th September 2010, 15:47   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Awesome, you guys were so lucky to find tigers. I'm feeling jealous of you guys. Lovely photos to boot, you people had really good time there.

BTW, just wanna ask something, I've seen one person wearing Red and another Black Tee for the Safari. Aren't these the worst colors to wear while visit a jungle? What I heard is that Red and Black are two colors that's better avoided while on a jungle Safari. I might be wrong. Please correct me incase.

Not too sure about black and red but it is best to keep to jungle colours like green (preferrably dark), brown, beige, khaki, grey etc. Helps in merging better with the environment you are in and not too harsh on the animals.

Although people say that one should not be wearing certain colours like white in Elephant country, I am not sure it is valid as elephants are colour blind.
Old 24th September 2010, 16:04   #64
BHPian

should red be worn in the forests during wildlife encounters ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveloholic View Post
You got me glued to this again Abheek. Every travelogue of your's is a GEM in itself. You never cease to amaze me with your experiences. Eagerly awaiting for more of those "Abheek'd Pics of Majestic Tiger".
I am so sorry to keep all of you waiting. I will be posting a daily dose of fresh wildlife images from now on for your viewing. Thanks for appreciating our efforts and encouraging us to post these gems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarmarishi View Post
A silent open top Gypsy and an able guide/driver like you who knows the place inside out!

More than that the thrill of entering the jungles. Doesnt matter if you get to see anything or not! Even deers will do kind of an attitude.
I like your attitude sir and want you to be here in these jungles. We have been talking over here on these issues for sometime now and you have been planning to come over but its not happening. Let me see your efforts in conserving these wonderful animals. thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Looking forward to that part of your trip eagerly

Thanks Doc, I too would like to visit the places the 'real' mowgli roamed. (Iam only a mallu mowgli )

Thats a great initiative sir. Involving the locals in a positive manner is the only way forward for conservation and to minimise the man-animal conflicts

I know I know - having you at the wheel . Just kidding - is it because you were the first people at the gate?

Looking forward to the rest of the story from you all. Now that the thread seems to have started gaining momentum, rated 5 stars. Now dont make us wait!!
Thank you very much. And you are right. Being one of the first vehicles to enter increases the chances of wildlife encounter manyfold. Stay tuned for the rest of the encounteres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
Looks like you are the first guys to enter the park...that increases your chance of a sighting many fold.

Keep it coming.
correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post

You are absolutely right there kaushik.

As a general rule its always a good idea to wear earth colours in the jungles.

But another school of opinion says that since many animals are colour blind, its doesn't really make any difference whatever colour you wear in a jungle. And its this school of though to which I subscribe more bacause from my experience in the wild I have inferred that loud colours may not be disturbing to animals in the wild. And oh... by the way that person in red was me !!

Lets analyse this statement of mine to show you how for example a deer sees any of the scenes that I have osted here

Our vision :
Nobody can assure you a Tiger, and thats the fun of it - Team BHP meet at Tadoba !-img_0408.jpg

Deer vison :
Nobody can assure you a Tiger, and thats the fun of it - Team BHP meet at Tadoba !-img_0408deer-vision.jpg

Our vision :
Nobody can assure you a Tiger, and thats the fun of it - Team BHP meet at Tadoba !-cub-greens.jpg

Deer vison :
Nobody can assure you a Tiger, and thats the fun of it - Team BHP meet at Tadoba !-cub-greens-deer-vision.jpg

Let me see if I can find more material on this. This is a very interesting topic for discussion. Thanks for your interest.

regards,
Dr. A Ghosh
Old 24th September 2010, 16:46   #65
BHPian

Hey comon Doc! Not fair! Why did you stop? Knowing you, i am sure u fired away the GB's on numerous memory cards with your D40.
Excellent beginner pics. I have my eyes set for coming oct-nov to do the TATR-Nagpur-Pench leg as i promised you earlier. I will keep you in the loop for sure! This time i hope to catch some of the beasts in 'action' (the seasonal action, you know).
Old 24th September 2010, 17:01   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeTorque View Post
Hey comon Doc! Not fair! Why did you stop? Knowing you, i am sure u fired away the GB's on numerous memory cards with your D40.
I have my eyes set for coming oct-nov to do the TATR-Nagpur-Pench leg as i promised you earlier.
arun I had no intention to stop but my delhi-nagpur road trip in a landrover came in between and i could not continue here. Winter will be indeed a good time to tour. keep me posted of your plans at least 1 month in advance.

Dr. A Ghosh
Old 24th September 2010, 18:20   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abheekg View Post
arun I had no intention to stop but my delhi-nagpur road trip in a landrover came in between and i could not continue here. Winter will be indeed a good time to tour. keep me posted of your plans at least 1 month in advance.
Dr. A Ghosh
Oh yes, your landrover juggernaut. I caught all the action on FB with your regular updates. It was like watching a live telecast.
I know you are caught up with the hospital activity but please do take some time and post loads of pics, cant wait to see em. same request to the others.
Old 24th September 2010, 19:12   #68
BHPian

Hriday got one of the best Tiger cub pics on day 1...... and some near misses !!!

.........a cub literally flying through air (taken while panning his camera)
Nobody can assure you a Tiger, and thats the fun of it - Team BHP meet at Tadoba !-flying-through-air-copy.jpg

Posting this on his behalf.

Hriday shared a very interesting piece of information with us about how he was able to anticipate and get this super shot at the correct moment.

In hriday's words : " I was aware of the characteristicts of cats as I have observed them in my house. Before jumping like this, they will usually look straight and curve their tail upwards. I saw this behaviour in these tiger cubs and readied myself and was able to get this shot."

This is a classic example of putting the understanding of animal behaviour to use to get good shots. While most of us failed to anticipate this ,. Hriday was able to foresee and execute this pic to perfection. It takes a Tiger to read the mind of another tiger!!

Advisable to blow up this image and see.

Let me post some shots also taken by Hriday of moments before and after this jump.

Before the Jump
Nobody can assure you a Tiger, and thats the fun of it - Team BHP meet at Tadoba !-before-jump.jpg

After the Jump
Nobody can assure you a Tiger, and thats the fun of it - Team BHP meet at Tadoba !-after-jump.jpg

There were some very interesting moments on the second day - one of which was a hands down experience of using my 400mm lens by the guys.
Nobody can assure you a Tiger, and thats the fun of it - Team BHP meet at Tadoba !-bang-bang-copy.jpg

I always make it a point to let my DSLR savvy friends handle my bodies and lenses and encourage them to try out various combinations as it lets them plan their lens and body upgrades. There is no better way of using different lenses and bodies in the field before actually buying one. Arun experienced the same during his tour and Projjal and hriday got the same treatment during this trip.

We have also been thinking for a while to make available a few of our lenses and bodies to serious wildlife shooters who accompany us at a nominal cost. The only pre requisite is that the lens and the body gets used responsibly in front of us. Do let me know how does this idea sound and if anyone is interested in making available their equipment to the community ?

There was another moment on the second day when we did not have entry to Tadoba zone and were restricted to travel only till Khatoda gate (only one half of the jungle) . When we were standing at the gate separating the two parts of the forest, we heard frantic alarm calls of the Langur which was probably calling seeing a Leopard.

Nobody can assure you a Tiger, and thats the fun of it - Team BHP meet at Tadoba !-waiting-khatoda-leopard-calls-beyond.jpg

we heard the calls for more than 20mins, also tried our luck in an adjoining alley but did not see anything. It was on returning back to nagpur that my friend called me and showed me this pic :

Nobody can assure you a Tiger, and thats the fun of it - Team BHP meet at Tadoba !-lep.jpg

This was taken just beyond the gate where we were standing and the leopard walked out in the open. We thus missed this encounter by a whisker.

While we were waiting at the Khatoda gate and trying to locate the leopard, the guys in moharli were again having a go at the cubs, this time in a patch of golden light. Posting here with permission of the photographer.

The cubs were so close that these shots were made with a basic 18-55 mm lens.
Nobody can assure you a Tiger, and thats the fun of it - Team BHP meet at Tadoba !-18551.jpg

Playing in water beside the main road
Nobody can assure you a Tiger, and thats the fun of it - Team BHP meet at Tadoba !-18552.jpg

More on the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeTorque View Post
Oh yes, your landrover juggernaut. I caught all the action on FB with your regular updates. It was like watching a live telecast.
I know you are caught up with the hospital activity but please do take some time and post loads of pics, cant wait to see em. same request to the others.
oh so you were following me too. it really was a super trip with loads of aventure and with a great gang. After I finish this TL , i will start writing about it.

enjoy.
Cheers !!

Dr. A Ghosh

Last edited by abheekg : 24th September 2010 at 19:23.
Old 24th September 2010, 19:51   #69
Senior - BHPian

Dr. Ghosh,
The tiger cub in flight is a very good shot, an anticipated one. Showing the movement and the cub's focus ahead...well captured.
The shot of the two cubs playing by the road in the water is a golden moment shot where the sunlight was patched only on them, thus highlighting them so well.
Next month I have plans to be with you, with all my grit and determination.
Tadoba pangs are reignited in me every time I go through any of your thread.
Thanks,
Old 24th September 2010, 20:45   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

More superb stuff and good information too. I am very impressed with the anticipation learned from observing domestic cats
Old 24th September 2010, 20:53   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarmarishi View Post

Although people say that one should not be wearing certain colours like white in Elephant country, I am not sure it is valid as elephants are colour blind.
you don't need color receptors to see white
Old 24th September 2010, 21:02   #72

This is really amazing woudl be an understatement to make. I just started reading this travelogue about couple of hours back and both my kids(aged 8 and 3) were glued to th pictures. Both of them want to visit the reserve tomorow!! and are ready to travel for days together to see them.
Also a small thanks from my 3 year old to doc and team for posting the wonderful pics!!
Please keep them coming. We are glued.
Old 24th September 2010, 21:50   #73
BHPian

thats the best complement I ever received for my work

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheshbangali View Post
both my kids(aged8and3)were glued to th pictures.Both of them want to visit the reserve tomorow!and are ready to travel for days together to see them.Also a small thanks from my3 year old to doc and team for posting the wonderful pics
Dear Mahesh,your kid's comment is higher than any star rating for this thread.

please tell both your kids that i am personally inviting them to witness this live.

pl pm me your number.
Stay tuned.

Dr. A Ghosh
Old 24th September 2010, 22:27   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abheekg View Post
.........a cub literally flying through air (taken while panning his camera)
Attachment 429224

Posting this on his behalf.

Hriday shared a very interesting piece of information with us about how he was able to anticipate and get this super shot at the correct moment.

In hriday's words : " I was aware of the characteristicts of cats as I have observed them in my house. Before jumping like this, they will usually look straight and curve their tail upwards. I saw this behaviour in these tiger cubs and readied myself and was able to get this shot."

This is a classic example of putting the understanding of animal behaviour to use to get good shots. While most of us failed to anticipate this ,. Hriday was able to foresee and execute this pic to perfection. It takes a Tiger to read the mind of another tiger!!

enjoy.
Cheers !!

Dr. A Ghosh
thanks abheekda for posting on behalf of me. I am also travelling these days, just flew to chennai from port blair today. Surprisingly, my airtel GPRS data is working very past here. Now, I will also try to contribute from chennai.

Regarding learning characteristics of kittens:

When I was a kid, there always been a cat (not necessarily the same) with 3-4 kittens. I loved to play with them, my mom gave me the responsibility of taking care of them. The cats normally gave birth twice a year, so in every 6 month new kittens arrives. Most of the kittens like to play, they will jump on one another every now and then. That is how I got a chance to closely watch their characteristics.

Regarding the jump:

Scene before jump: 2 cubs came out of bushes one after another. The cub in the front moved forward, while the other stopped and looked around for a while. by that time the first one already moved into forward. after a while the cub on the back find itself standing alone.

Preparing to jump: The cub looked right to left to determine the whereabout of the other cub. Ears went straighten up, heads straight up and tail went up and carefully he took a step forward.

Nobody can assure you a Tiger, and thats the fun of it - Team BHP meet at Tadoba !-before-jump.jpg

My anticipation and jump:
Now mouth opened, I got a strong feeling about a game between the cubs. I was anticipating a jump and then taking on the cub down. Though the second part didn't happened, I got the first right. Also, got a pan through it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
More superb stuff and good information too. I am very impressed with the anticipation learned from observing domestic cats
Thanks, I guess I was more driven by instinct to anticipate a jump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboyslim View Post
@Hriday: You lucky man, sauntering in andamans in spetember. Have the rains stopped, are the seas muddy or clear. Doc is on Delhi drive and you are enjoying the beaches in Andamans and here I am covering for you guys. Not fair!
It is raining here. But the beaches are very clean, I never saw more clean and clear beaches. enjoyed snorkling too. Got loads of beautiful photos and videos as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Dr. Ghosh,
The tiger cub in flight is a very good shot, an anticipated one. Showing the movement and the cub's focus ahead...well captured.
The shot of the two cubs playing by the road in the water is a golden moment shot where the sunlight was patched only on them, thus highlighting them so well.
Next month I have plans to be with you, with all my grit and determination.
Tadoba pangs are reignited in me every time I go through any of your thread.
Thanks,
Thanks fazal sir. Btw, this was my first attempt to get a panning shot ever. I read lot about getting a panning shot, but first practical gave me the most awesome shot of my life so far.
Old 25th September 2010, 08:50   #75
BHPian

Young aggressor - view this blownup on full screen

Thats a great bit of information Hriday. I am sure this will come of great help to me when i am shooting tiger cubs next.

Now guess the identity of this Tiger cub ?

first correct guess will get a printed copy of this photograph.

This photograph is in wallpaper format if anyone wants to use.

regards,
Dr. A Ghosh
Attached Thumbnails
Nobody can assure you a Tiger, and thats the fun of it - Team BHP meet at Tadoba !-img_8770-copyb.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks