Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2010, 21:13   #1
BHPian

Nobody can assure you a Tiger, and thats the fun of it - Team BHP meet at Tadoba !

Dates : 11-13 September 2010

Venue : Tadoba Andhari Tiger Reserve (TATR)

The Team :
  1. Projjal Roy (aka fatboyslim) and his wife from Raipur
  2. Hriday Jyoti Bora (aka hridayjyoti) from Gurgaon
  3. Bijay Mishra (TBHP application pending) from Jorhat/Cuttak
  4. Debdutta Goswami (aka mama) from Kolkata
  5. Yours truly (aka abheekg) from Nagpur

Armageddon walk
Nobody can assure you a Tiger, and thats the fun of it - Team BHP meet at Tadoba !-img_0663.jpg

Route : All the members assembled from respective places at Nagpur from where we drove down to TATR (moharli gate) via Jam-Temuda-Shegaon-Chandankheda-Mudholi-Moharli (160kms)

Vehicles:
  1. My Gypsy (MP-22/CA-0517)
  2. Fatboyslim's Ford Fiesta (DL-3C/AY-6965)

Enroute
Nobody can assure you a Tiger, and thats the fun of it - Team BHP meet at Tadoba !-img_8040.jpg

The equipment:
  1. Canon 40D with canon 100-300mm USM lens and Sigma 17-70mm macro zoom lens with Canon 20D and Tamron 200-400 as a backup
  2. Canon 450d with canon 55-250mm usm lens, canon 18-55mm IS lens and canon 500D lenses
  3. Nikon D90 with Nikon 70-300 ED VR ad nikon 18-135mm ED VR lenses
  4. Sony DSC T-70 (for candids and videos) and Sony ericsson Mobile phone for video documentation on the go
  5. 2 Laptops
  6. 2 Olympus binoculars - 7x35 and 8x40
  7. Multiple External hard drives, batteries and respective chargers
  8. Special Bacardi lens
  9. Countless Cigarettes
  10. Multipurpose pillow

Highlights of the meet:
  1. Monsoons signed off with a bang at Tadoba
  2. 5 Tigers were spotted within 1 hour of entering the park apart from numerous other interesting species throughout the 3 days
  3. Utilisation of every possible minute for wildlife related activity
  4. Creative macrophotography sesssions
  5. ~40 GB of fabulous wildlife photographs (which will need weeks to process)
  6. Stay in Moharli Village (better than any resort stay)
  7. Mouthwatering Jhunka-Bhakri (staple diet of the maharashtrian farmer) for all the participants courtesy Sanjay Mondhe
  8. Experiments with the Bacardi Lens (which lets you shoot multiples of everything that you see)
  9. Eerie experience of a night in the jungle
  10. Bijay's one liners ( example : Biscuit leke tiger ko bula sakte kya - referring to the tiger cubs and the mother tigress)
  11. Ganesh festival Celebrations with the locals of Moharli village

Always visit National Parks to enjoy the jungles in totality-don't go with any preconceived notions about encountering any particular species.
Nobody can assure you a Tiger, and thats the fun of it - Team BHP meet at Tadoba !-img_9013.jpg

10 year old male tiger - father of the 4 cubs - aka "wakda shepti" aka "tedi puch" aka "yeda anna" strolling in lush green environs - encountered 10 minutes into the first drive
Nobody can assure you a Tiger, and thats the fun of it - Team BHP meet at Tadoba !-img_8188.jpg

Enjoy these teasers - more to follow as we get time to process our shots.
Request fatboyslim and hridayjyoti to start contributing.

regards,
Dr. A Ghosh

P.S: Sorry about starting off without a proper introduction (was in a hurry to post this and then got a call from the hospital in between). Request to moderators to allow me to edit this first post later on to present a better account of our experience and give a background information about TATR and its troubles for the readers will invariably go through the first post with great interest.

Post edited. team-bhp does not allow any alcohol related images or text. Thanks.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 13th September 2010 at 22:01.
Old 13th September 2010, 21:33   #2
BHPian

Here goes the doc again!!
My god the tigers there by now must have started recognising you, looking at the frequency of your visit.
Maybe that is why they come out in the open just to pose for you and who knows may be they also must have thought of some names for you!!
ahaan! bacardi lens now i m not sure if thats allowed here.
waiting for updates
cheers!!
Old 13th September 2010, 23:31   #3
BHPian

Good one covering all possible details. The tiger is awesome. Post more pics if you have.
Old 13th September 2010, 23:47   #4
Senior - BHPian

I was waiting for this one. Doc, you seem to have good luck with spotting the tigers. I will plan a trip with you some day. Lets hope so.

Infact I think the tigers read the TBhp post and were ready to greet you all. I mean spotting 5 tigers with in an hour! Thats an incredible luck!

All that equipment combined makes a plethora of choices. I think this one is going to be better than the previous one. Dont keep us waiting too long.

Did you guys use Fiesta for the safari?

Would love if even smoking is prohibited from TBhp. Come on Doc you are a cardiologist. Lets not promote smoking too. No offence just a suggestion. Please take in right spirit.
Old 14th September 2010, 08:32   #5
BHPian

Nice teasers and a good startup !!! Have been seeing Dr.Ghosh's threads for a while now.
Im sure this one too wil be loaded with information like the previous threads.
Waiting for more.
Old 14th September 2010, 11:41   #6
BHPian

Your highlights to the post summarizes all. But do elaborate on each one of them. Let me know if in the future you have any plans to visit Mudumalai Tiger reserve. I would be interested to joining you.
Old 14th September 2010, 13:04   #7
BHPian

Hi TaureanBull:

We did the Safari in Dr. Ghosh's Gypsy with the man himself driving. We could have done the safari with the fiesta given the acceptable roads inside the park as we were restricted only to the main roads. The jungle trails perpendicular to the main arterial road were waterlogged and hence were off limits.

Moreover, Dr. Ghosh's immense knowledge about the park and several wildlife species were helpful in addition to the great fun that all of us had in the gypsy made travelling together a no-brainer. Here are a couple of shots.

The key was the wide range of species that we were able to see-mammalian, avian, reptilian etc. which made this trip wonderful. Not to forget the company, Dr.Ghosh, Mama, Hriday and Bijoy-we sure made a great team. I felt that we had known each other from several years even though it was the first time, we had met each other.

And yes the great one liners from mama & Bijoy. Small excerpt? Bijoy is a bit disappointed on day 2

Bijoy: Arre, Biscuit deke Sher ko Bula sakte hain ya nahin
Mama (Most wise amongst us): Kyon nahi, aaja aaja tutu tu...
Projjal: Aisa na ho ki biscuit ke saath haat bhi chala jaye
Bijoy: Yeah I know, may be we should say, ungli diya to haath le liya? Yeh haath mujhe (wapas) de de tiger

Best regards:
Fatboyslim

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
I was waiting for this one. Doc, you seem to have good luck with spotting the tigers. I will plan a trip with you some day. Lets hope so.

Infact I think the tigers read the TBhp post and were ready to greet you all. I mean spotting 5 tigers with in an hour! Thats an incredible luck!

All that equipment combined makes a plethora of choices. I think this one is going to be better than the previous one. Dont keep us waiting too long.

Did you guys use Fiesta for the safari?

Would love if even smoking is prohibited from TBhp. Come on Doc you are a cardiologist. Lets not promote smoking too. No offence just a suggestion. Please take in right spirit.
Old 14th September 2010, 13:48   #8
BHPian

Glimpses

Dear all:

Please find a couple of shots mentioned in the last post. Let me start my photographic contribution with the first and last stanza of William Blake's, The Tiger

TIGER, tiger, burning bright
In the forests of the night,
What immortal hand or eye
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?

Tiger, tiger, burning bright
In the forests of the night,
What immortal hand or eye
Dare frame thy fearful symmetry?

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Nobody can assure you a Tiger, and thats the fun of it - Team BHP meet at Tadoba !-majestic.jpg  

Nobody can assure you a Tiger, and thats the fun of it - Team BHP meet at Tadoba !-cold-stare.jpg  

Old 14th September 2010, 14:26   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboyslim View Post
Please find a couple of shots mentioned in the last post.
The first shot is amazing. How close were you able to get to the tiger. This reminds me of my Masinagudi Trip where we spotted the tiger. It was a bit scary, but thrilling though.
Old 14th September 2010, 14:32   #10
Senior - BHPian

@fatboyslim Amazing shot of the Tiger walking. Lovely shadows gives the picture a different feel.
Old 14th September 2010, 14:35   #11
BHPian

Thanks chethan.ram

We were around 50-60 feet away. Well, frankly I was not scared. I was awe stricken. I have seen several tigers in the past and each time I see a tiger, my emotions run amok.

Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chethan.ram View Post
The first shot is amazing. How close were you able to get to the tiger. This reminds me of my Masinagudi Trip where we spotted the tiger. It was a bit scary, but thrilling though.
Thanks experthand, appreciate it. In the second photo, I wanted to capture the motion blur and focus on the eyes. Did not turn out to be that good, but I am happy

Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
@fatboyslim Amazing shot of the Tiger walking. Lovely shadows gives the picture a different feel.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by .anshuman : 14th September 2010 at 15:40. Reason: Please avoid back to back posts. Use edit button if posting within 20mins.
Old 14th September 2010, 14:46   #12
Senior - BHPian

Wow! Nice start Dr. Waiting for the breathtaking snaps. Equipment list is something very interesting .
Old 14th September 2010, 14:53   #13
BHPian

Amazing picture of the walking tiger. Oh, gave me goose bumps, much too reality.

Incidentally the terrain also has the texture of the tiger. Golden Brown road with black shades, too good dude, too good.

Last edited by ikoneer : 14th September 2010 at 14:54.
Old 14th September 2010, 15:01   #14
BHPian

Hey Ikoneer,

Thanks, wait till you see the photographs of Dr. Ghosh, Hriday and Bijoy.

Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikoneer View Post
Amazing picture of the walking tiger. Oh, gave me goose bumps, much too reality.

Incidentally the terrain also has the texture of the tiger. Golden Brown road with black shades, too good dude, too good.
Old 14th September 2010, 19:11   #15
BHPian

We often miss the charm of enjoying wilderness, in the process of concerning too much in spotting the "Big Cats". Here comes Abheekda's first words "forget the fact that there is tiger in this jungle. we are here to enjoy the beauty of it"
Those few words broaden our minds, we were on hunt to capture the wilderness!

Nobody can assure you a Tiger, and thats the fun of it - Team BHP meet at Tadoba !-_mg_4853-copy.jpg

Nobody can assure you a Tiger, and thats the fun of it - Team BHP meet at Tadoba !-_mg_5051-copy.jpg

It would be unfair if I don't post a couple of photos of the cubs

Nobody can assure you a Tiger, and thats the fun of it - Team BHP meet at Tadoba !-cold-stare-copy.jpg

Charming Circuit... true celeb!

Nobody can assure you a Tiger, and thats the fun of it - Team BHP meet at Tadoba !-_mg_4913.jpg

Cheers!
Hriday

Last edited by hridayjyoti : 14th September 2010 at 19:16. Reason: photo upload problem

Most Viewed