Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2010, 10:07   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit View Post
Goa was one of the best trips Jacob! and yeah...same group...12 years now

Some more pics of the mangroves.
Keep up the good friendship .

Second batch of snaps are too good. Not able to quench my desire to visit this place, but again each travelogue in TBHP is adding a new place to my wish list and now there are atleast 12 places in it .
Old 15th September 2010, 16:17   #17
BHPian

Impresive backwaters!!! nice pics
Old 15th September 2010, 16:35   #18
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Nice pics amohit. it reminded me the similar trip at Poovar island in Trivandrum. Pondicherry visit is long pending. Also i was told Hidesign factory is worth a visit.
Old 17th September 2010, 09:44   #19
BHPian

Great pictures amohit! We did the M'puram, P'cherry trip on that same weekend but didn't go to Pichavaram. Looking at those wonderful pictures of the backwaters, I am sure we will end up going there very soon.
Old 17th September 2010, 20:53   #20
tud
BHPian

Hi Mohit,

The Pitchavaram mangroves are the best part. Do they allow visitors to take a dip in that water?

Pondycherry can be divided into two. The French colonies and the usual Tamil Nadu style town. The French colonies are the ones near the beach.
Pondicherry and Pichavaram Forest trip-Sep 10, 2010-french-style-street.jpg
Pondicherry and Pichavaram Forest trip-Sep 10, 2010-french-style-streetbike.jpg
The streets are also named in the typical French style starting with rue. There is also one more lovely restaurant called La Terrace. It is just next to the HP bunk at the Southern end of the beach. Promanede, Rendezvous and La Terrace are close to each other and you'll definitely get food in one of them. But getting a table is quite a task. Eating in places like this is the Pondy experience. The town is running round the clock were we get the usual TN food. But it is not worth it.

Also one more place you cannot afford to miss is the Port end of the beach. Keep walking on the coastal platform and you'll reach the old port of Pondy.
Pondicherry and Pichavaram Forest trip-Sep 10, 2010-walk-beach.jpg
You can walk into the sea thanks to the old abandoned pillars.
Pondicherry and Pichavaram Forest trip-Sep 10, 2010-below-port-1.jpg
Pondicherry and Pichavaram Forest trip-Sep 10, 2010-below-port-2.jpg
Pondicherry and Pichavaram Forest trip-Sep 10, 2010-below-port-3.jpg
Pondicherry and Pichavaram Forest trip-Sep 10, 2010-below-port-4.jpg
Pondicherry and Pichavaram Forest trip-Sep 10, 2010-below-port-5.jpg
Pondicherry and Pichavaram Forest trip-Sep 10, 2010-below-port-6.jpg
There are also local boatmen who take visitors for rides on their catamarans. Be ready to bargain as their price solely depends on the person.

If you know anybody who resides in Auroville, then you've just got lucky. Auroville residents have a private stretch on the Pondy beach. It is clean, colorful and looks like a paradise. It has tree houses, cocktail counters, life guards, open showers to have a first round wash before and after you take a dip in the sea.

Hope this helps people who plan trips to Pondy.
Old 17th September 2010, 21:40   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
Also i was told Hidesign factory is worth a visit.
It is. We did visit there outlet. Not sure about the prices in bangalore, but they said that prices in pondi are about 20-30% cheaper.
Anyway, luckily for me the damages were < 5k

Quote:
Originally Posted by tud View Post

The Pitchavaram mangroves are the best part. Do they allow visitors to take a dip in that water?
We did not ask. But there is no reason, why you cant get into the waters. After all locals were there collecting prawns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tud View Post
Also one more place you cannot afford to miss is the Port end of the beach. Keep walking on the coastal platform and you'll reach the old port of Pondy.

If you know anybody who resides in Auroville, then you've just got lucky. Auroville residents have a private stretch on the Pondy beach. It is clean, colorful and looks like a paradise. It has tree houses, cocktail counters, life guards, open showers to have a first round wash before and after you take a dip in the sea.
I guess we missed this. What can I say....another pondi trip in the making

Regards,

Last edited by amohit : 17th September 2010 at 21:43.
Old 19th September 2010, 08:29   #22
BANNED

nice write up mohit,i was also planing for pichavaram for a long time.in fact i had been to
chidambaram two weeks back ,but had no time to goto pichavaram,

BTW how is the road from main road till pichavaram? heard it is not in good shape and it is left from the newly laid bye pass before chidambaram
Old 22nd September 2010, 14:30   #23
BHPian

Ah nice snaps out there. Pichavaram is one of the mysterious places in TN. The pictures are creepy. The lonely beach looks really awesome. Beach in Solitude !!

Rendevouz is a good restaurant. I have had breakfast in the same.

Sad that you missed the Light House at the Promenade. Thats a nice restaurant too.
Old 2nd November 2010, 11:51   #24
Senior - BHPian

@amohit,

Thats a great write up, thanks a lot, was planning for the trip to Chidambaram thats when I did hit your thread.

Can you please provide me these details,
1. The boating is that run by government? or are they run by private people, I am asking this because are the rates controlled by government?
2. How about the safety part of it, the places do look to be very secluded? or are there many people who are visiting these spots.
Old 2nd November 2010, 12:20   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
@amohit,

Thats a great write up, thanks a lot, was planning for the trip to Chidambaram thats when I did hit your thread.

Can you please provide me these details,
1. The boating is that run by government? or are they run by private people, I am asking this because are the rates controlled by government?
2. How about the safety part of it, the places do look to be very secluded? or are there many people who are visiting these spots.

Thanks dude!!
To answer your questions:
1. Boat rides are organized by govt agency. Rates are fixed and displayed clearly and no bargaining works.

2. You are provided with life jackets. Though they are limited in number, so they may get over soon. However, the depth of water is 3-4 ft. So, unless you force the person's head under water for considerable amount of time, there is no chance of anybody dying of drowning

2 secret tips:
a. Reach there by 6.30am and take the motor boat to beach & forests (2 hrs package.) Will cost you 2.5k (or was it 2k not sure now) and its worth every penny.
b. Pack your breakfast and had have it on the beach. If you are there early, there will be no one on the beach to spoil your privacy.

Regards,
Old 18th November 2010, 16:52   #26
Senior - BHPian

What is the travelling time from Pondy?
Old 22nd November 2010, 13:58   #27
BHPian

^^ About 1.5 to 2 hours depending on Traffic from Pondy thru Cuddalore. Coming from Pondy, the diversion to Pichavaram comes a few Kms before Chidambaram.

We were there during the Nov 1st weekend and took a 4 hour Row Boat, including 1 hour wait at the beach. Cost is 800 official and the boatman wanted extra, said he will take us thru the denser forests. Paid him 300.

As as far as I could see, at the boat house, they insisted on life jackets for everyone but once we got into the waters, we removed them as it was a stuffy day.

The old TTDC restaurant has been taken (over / for lease) by Hotel Saradha Ram of Chidambaram and renovation work is going on. Restauarant is sort of open when we were there and they are building cottages for stay. As per them, it should be ready in a month or two.

Regards
Slakhs
Old 1st January 2011, 13:53   #28
BHPian

Re: Pondicherry and Pichavaram Forest trip-Sep 10, 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by slakhs View Post
^^ We were there during the Nov 1st weekend and took a 4 hour Row Boat, including 1 hour wait at the beach. Cost is 800 official and the boatman wanted extra, said he will take us thru the denser forests. Paid him 300.

As as far as I could see, at the boat house, they insisted on life jackets for everyone but once we got into the waters, we removed them as it was a stuffy day.

The old TTDC restaurant has been taken (over / for lease) by Hotel Saradha Ram of Chidambaram and renovation work is going on. Restauarant is sort of open when we were there and they are building cottages for stay. As per them, it should be ready in a month or two.

Regards
Slakhs
We went there in the last week of December. Took the same package as above. The official package costs 800/- but we paid him rs 300/- for the same reason given above :-) . I felt you may get a better deal by hiring the boat "officially" for 2 hours and bargaining with the boatman for additional hours and the beach trip. The beach trip is really worth it.

Luckily for us, the day was quite cloudy. Otherwise, it would be good idea to reach early in the morning only.

The renovation of the hotel is still going on. So severe lack of food options currently. Carry plenty of food along, but not in plastic bags. A few plastic bottles floating around the backwaters and on the beach made a sad sight.

Road condition from the main road is very good. No issues there.

Take sufficient caps, sunglasses, wear light-clothing. Definitely worth visiting.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks