Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2010, 15:56   #1
BHPian

Snakes,leeches and a magnificnet waterfall..a phtologue of Kaas-kelwali Trekk.

Hi folks,

All of a sudden there seems to be a number of travelogues on Kaas(Satara).
This is not an usual travelogue but an attempt to reveal how scenic that part is apart from kaas plateau.

I did this trekk on 14th august with my frnds. A beautiful jungle walk ended with a magnificent waterfall.
Photos are self explanatory.
Old 20th September 2010, 16:03   #2
MX6
Senior - BHPian

14th August. Hmm. No flowers then. But we would love to see the trek photos. Which falls are you talking of?

Hope your photos allay all fears in minds of Bengyboyz and make them rush to Kaas on 25th.
Old 20th September 2010, 16:23   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
14th August. Hmm. No flowers then. But we would love to see the trek photos. Which falls are you talking of?

Hope your photos allay all fears in minds of Bengyboyz and make them rush to Kaas on 25th.
yes.I hope this helps. Surely,there were no flowers at that time.
To go there one has to cross kaas plateau. The place could be reached by vehicle but one has to walk for 90 mins. at least to reach to the waterfalls.Alternatively, you can see sandavali and vajrai waterfalls which are nearby.
We did a 10 kms long hike to the place starting from kaas plateau.

Snakes,leeches and a magnificnet waterfall..a phtologue of Kaas-kelwali Trekk.-dscn4422.jpg

Starting point
Snakes,leeches and a magnificnet waterfall..a phtologue of Kaas-kelwali Trekk.-dscn4427.jpg
Snakes,leeches and a magnificnet waterfall..a phtologue of Kaas-kelwali Trekk.-dscn4433.jpg
Me..
Snakes,leeches and a magnificnet waterfall..a phtologue of Kaas-kelwali Trekk.-dscn4458.jpg

This boulder blocked our way and made us walk 5 more kms..huh..
Snakes,leeches and a magnificnet waterfall..a phtologue of Kaas-kelwali Trekk.-dscn4475.jpg
Snakes are in plenty.. Indian Silt tail.
Snakes,leeches and a magnificnet waterfall..a phtologue of Kaas-kelwali Trekk.-dscn4476.jpg
Snakes,leeches and a magnificnet waterfall..a phtologue of Kaas-kelwali Trekk.-dscn4502.jpg
Snakes,leeches and a magnificnet waterfall..a phtologue of Kaas-kelwali Trekk.-dscn4503.jpg
Snakes,leeches and a magnificnet waterfall..a phtologue of Kaas-kelwali Trekk.-dscn4498.jpg
This time its trinkate...unfortunately,found it dead along roadside.
Snakes,leeches and a magnificnet waterfall..a phtologue of Kaas-kelwali Trekk.-dscn4499.jpg

Last edited by amit_3306 : 20th September 2010 at 16:39.
amit_3306 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2010, 17:05   #4
BHPian

Pardon my ignorance, but aren't these reptiles poisonous?
Old 20th September 2010, 17:14   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijeetsng View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but aren't these reptiles poisonous?
No these are not. Poisonous ones cannot be handled that easily.

Snakes,leeches and a magnificnet waterfall..a phtologue of Kaas-kelwali Trekk.-dscn4509.jpg
Urmodi dam backwaters.
Snakes,leeches and a magnificnet waterfall..a phtologue of Kaas-kelwali Trekk.-dscn4532.jpg
Snakes,leeches and a magnificnet waterfall..a phtologue of Kaas-kelwali Trekk.-dscn4551.jpg
Snakes,leeches and a magnificnet waterfall..a phtologue of Kaas-kelwali Trekk.-dscn4553.jpg

Snakes,leeches and a magnificnet waterfall..a phtologue of Kaas-kelwali Trekk.-dscn4555.jpg

Snakes,leeches and a magnificnet waterfall..a phtologue of Kaas-kelwali Trekk.-dscn4570.jpg

First glimpse of a waterfall..
Snakes,leeches and a magnificnet waterfall..a phtologue of Kaas-kelwali Trekk.-dscn4572.jpg
Snakes,leeches and a magnificnet waterfall..a phtologue of Kaas-kelwali Trekk.-dscn4580.jpg
Snakes,leeches and a magnificnet waterfall..a phtologue of Kaas-kelwali Trekk.-dscn4594.jpg

Snakes,leeches and a magnificnet waterfall..a phtologue of Kaas-kelwali Trekk.-dscn4597.jpg
Snakes,leeches and a magnificnet waterfall..a phtologue of Kaas-kelwali Trekk.-dscn4601.jpg
Snakes,leeches and a magnificnet waterfall..a phtologue of Kaas-kelwali Trekk.-dscn4615.jpg
Snakes,leeches and a magnificnet waterfall..a phtologue of Kaas-kelwali Trekk.-dscn4619.jpg
Snakes,leeches and a magnificnet waterfall..a phtologue of Kaas-kelwali Trekk.-dscn4621.jpg
Snakes,leeches and a magnificnet waterfall..a phtologue of Kaas-kelwali Trekk.-dscn4622.jpg

Journey way back..
Snakes,leeches and a magnificnet waterfall..a phtologue of Kaas-kelwali Trekk.-dscn4624.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Snakes,leeches and a magnificnet waterfall..a phtologue of Kaas-kelwali Trekk.-dscn4582.jpg  

Snakes,leeches and a magnificnet waterfall..a phtologue of Kaas-kelwali Trekk.-dscn4634.jpg  

Snakes,leeches and a magnificnet waterfall..a phtologue of Kaas-kelwali Trekk.-dscn4647.jpg  

Snakes,leeches and a magnificnet waterfall..a phtologue of Kaas-kelwali Trekk.-dscn4651.jpg  

Last edited by amit_3306 : 20th September 2010 at 17:25.
Old 20th September 2010, 17:23   #6
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Oh man. The sudden appearance of a hand holding a snake has got goose bumps in me.

Sad to see the dead snake. But it doesn't show any signs of injury. Any idea what could have killed it?

Guess you better put a disclaimer here asking people not to handle snakes. You seem to be well trained.

I did see the Indian Silt tail once in Mumbai in Aarey Milk Colony. Bugger vanished before I could whip out my mobile camera. But he looked gorgeous.
Old 20th September 2010, 18:07   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Oh man. The sudden appearance of a hand holding a snake has got goose bumps in me.

Sad to see the dead snake. But it doesn't show any signs of injury. Any idea what could have killed it?

Guess you better put a disclaimer here asking people not to handle snakes. You seem to be well trained.

I did see the Indian Silt tail once in Mumbai in Aarey Milk Colony. Bugger vanished before I could whip out my mobile camera. But he looked gorgeous.
Oh..Sorry..forgot to do that. I didn't mean to frightened people here.
Even we could not find any injury to that snake.Looks like a natural death to me .
And am still learning how to handle snakes.
Old 20th September 2010, 19:59   #8
BHPian

Hi Amit,

Really good pics and seems to be a very adventurous trip. The snakes did give me goose bumps as well but nevertheless enjoyed this TL. Looking for more.
Old 20th September 2010, 20:37   #9
MX6
Senior - BHPian

I wasn't frightened amit. I was amazed! I'm a snake lover. The biggest challenge snakes face are from humans. Most of the non venomous snakes are killed by humans thinking they are venomous.

The snap of the frog is terrific too. Irrespective of whether a snake is venomous or not, the bite is very painful. So careful handling of the reptile is very essential. Rat snakes which are non venomous are supposed to inflict some of the most painful bites.

The trekking trail seems to be well laid out. Is it possible to mark the route in google maps and put it up here?
Old 21st September 2010, 10:48   #10
BHPian

Nice pics .. the falls look beautiful amidst the greenary..
Old 21st September 2010, 12:56   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MohsinRoadster View Post
Nice pics .. the falls look beautiful amidst the greenary..
Thanks..MohsinRoadster.
Old 21st September 2010, 12:59   #12
BHPian

Quote:
I wasn't frightened amit. I was amazed! I'm a snake lover. The biggest challenge snakes face are from humans. Most of the non venomous snakes are killed by humans thinking they are venomous.

The snap of the frog is terrific too. Irrespective of whether a snake is venomous or not, the bite is very painful. So careful handling of the reptile is very essential. Rat snakes which are non venomous are supposed to inflict some of the most painful bites.

The trekking trail seems to be well laid out. Is it possible to mark the route in google maps and put it up here?
Thanks for the useful info..MX6.
I tried locating the place on google maps but without any success.
PM me if you need more info about this place.
Old 21st September 2010, 13:31   #13
BHPian

Great snaps. I would love to visit Kaas. Regarding the dead snake, could it have been poisoned? It may have eaten a poisoned rat from a nearby field.
Old 21st September 2010, 14:36   #14
BHPian

Misconceptions about snakes need to be changed

I live in Mumbai where snakes are hardly seen, I keep visiting my native place in the Konkan often and I hate the way anything tht slithers is treated. The sanke or whatever it is is killed whether it is poisonous or not. Regardless of whether it is hiding or just crossing the road. It is killed on sight. Yesterday whil coming back via Kolhapur, there was this snake which had just been killed, It' head had been smashed. I picked up with its tail and it moved, It still had life in it. The first thing that my 5 year old daughter asked me when I showed her the snake is why it had been killed.
The only thing I could murmur was because he was born as a snake. The misconceptions about snakes need to be changed.
Old 21st September 2010, 15:22   #15
Senior - BHPian

Awesome pictures Amit. How far did you trek? You seem to have forgotten to post pics of the leeches. Monsoons are the best time enjoy the Western Ghats though.

Quote:

I think you are talking about the Shield Tail. AFAIK, there is nothing called the 'Silt Tail'.

I don't think people will blindly handle snakes. They perceive all snakes to be venomous and the first thing they reach for, after seeing a snake, is a stick or stone.

Most Viewed