Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2010, 13:22   #61
Senior - BHPian

Thats quite a trip that you had, jacs. Wonderful write-up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Some elephants hiding in the jungle
Yes, quite literally they are hiding - couldnt spot any in this photograph

Eagerly waiting for the next episode
Old 5th October 2010, 13:41   #62
BHPian

Nice write up Jacs! I have travelled through Masinagudi while coming back from Ooty few years back. A beautiful road. Couldn't stop anywhere as my wife is very scared of Elephants and the sign boards advising people not to stop the car in the jungle made her pray all the way till the forest area was over.
Old 5th October 2010, 14:14   #63
BHPian

Did you take the evening safari? Did you spot the Tiger? Waiting for the rest of your experience.
Old 5th October 2010, 14:14   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

The best thing about the whole drive through the forest is Anticipation. Not knowing what animal is hiding where and what if a big cat suddenly pops out of nowhere brings such a thrill to the ride. And not to forget the serene peace of mother nature, no human noise at all apart from an occasional vehicle passing by....
When we reached the checkpost the backside window was rolled down and my friend on the back seat was munching his way through a packet of chips. And suddenly from nowhere this monkey comes and jumps on to the door and all hell broke loose in the car. I infact got scared for a second that finally a tiger or an elephant gone wild has decided to pay us a visit. It all got over within a flash and ofcourse the monkey succeeded in procuring a packet of lays for himself
Old 5th October 2010, 15:08   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Thats quite a trip that you had, jacs. Wonderful write-up.

Yes, quite literally they are hiding - couldnt spot any in this photograph

Eagerly waiting for the next episode
Thanks, next episode today itself! BW if you can strain your eyes a little, two gray rock like elephant backs can be spoted

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguar.runs View Post
Nice write up Jacs! I have travelled through Masinagudi while coming back from Ooty few years back. A beautiful road. Couldn't stop anywhere as my wife is very scared of Elephants and the sign boards advising people not to stop the car in the jungle made her pray all the way till the forest area was over.
Thanks Jag. If its in dark and windows rolled down, she would faint down to hear the strange sounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
Did you take the evening safari? Did you spot the Tiger? Waiting for the rest of your experience.
Joe, yes we did had the evening safari but before that few more good things of interest to all to be shared. Sorry to keep you waiting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
The best thing about the whole drive through the forest is Anticipation. Not knowing what animal is hiding where and what if a big cat suddenly pops out of nowhere brings such a thrill to the ride. And not to forget the serene peace of mother nature, no human noise at all apart from an occasional vehicle passing by....
When we reached the checkpost the backside window was rolled down and my friend on the back seat was munching his way through a packet of chips. And suddenly from nowhere this monkey comes and jumps on to the door and all hell broke loose in the car. I infact got scared for a second that finally a tiger or an elephant gone wild has decided to pay us a visit. It all got over within a flash and ofcourse the monkey succeeded in procuring a packet of lays for himself
Thats true! Porcupines once scared me like hell when I stayed in a cardamom plantation. On hearing the sound through dry leaves, I thought its a lone tusker .

And yes monkeys are quite dangerous here. Especially because people feed them, they expect the same from everyone and try to steal things from cars.

Last edited by jacs : 5th October 2010 at 15:09.
Old 5th October 2010, 15:57   #66
NFS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I did not know you can drive down to the Hydel station, without any permission!
That is great! The Moyar road from Masinagudi I thought was closed for public.

About the Moyar river valley, I had mentioned earlier in a different post:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post2053814

It is an important river as it joins the eastern and the western ghats.

Great snaps there! Were you able to spot the Moyar Gorge (as I am told).

About Hotel booking:

One should book only at the portal of the hotel. Third party bookings can become bit dubious
(discounting popular sites like Make-My-Trip etc. I have never gone through them).
I used MakeMyTrip for booking my hotels once and holidays once for business trip. We took a package from this website at Kodaikanal. All bookings were good, we were well received by the hotel authorities, even they arranged for a car to pick us up from the tourist bus station (Chennai to Kodai was on bus, Parveen A/C Volvo). All in all my experience with Makemytrip is good.

During my business trip, I checked with the hotel directly for the tariff. It was 700Rs higher than through Makemytrip. The hotel reception welcomed me with a smile and said "Oh Makemytrip, Welcome to our hotel".

Quote:
(Day one completes here….Day two starts tomorrow…)

Note: Please rate this thread and give your valuable suggestions so that the upcoming posts can be better.
Was Searching for seven stars to rate this thread ! I am sorry I did not find it! May be rating here would also be fine - "Exceptionally Outstanding"

Man you said you are not good at writing and this is what you can do! I wonder how good you would be in those areas you claim yourself as a professional?

Keep writing, I loved the entire thread for its good "Life like writing", "Your appreciations for the little things", "photographs" etc.

NFS
Old 5th October 2010, 16:12   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS View Post

Was Searching for seven stars to rate this thread ! I am sorry I did not find it! May be rating here would also be fine - "Exceptionally Outstanding"

Man you said you are not good at writing and this is what you can do! I wonder how good you would be in those areas you claim yourself as a professional?

Keep writing, I loved the entire thread for its good "Life like writing", "Your appreciations for the little things", "photographs" etc.

NFS
I think you can rate me a jack of all trade, master of none catagory and too lazy to reach a professional. When I compare my writing skills with fellow BHPians, I rate myself a 2 star and photographs again nothing more than 3 star. But the encouragement and support I recieve from you guys, its 5 star!

NFS, Thanks a lot for your words of appreciation.
Old 5th October 2010, 17:01   #68
Senior - BHPian

On the way towards the resort, we could see butterflies everywhere that too Blue tigers only. As we got closer to the exit check post, the numbers doubled. Few of them managed to get inside the car and little Joshu jumped with joy. We reached around 10:30AM and poor guy Siddu was waiting for us to serve breakfast (though lunch time is near). Directly headed to the dining [hut.

This is our dining hut
Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-99.jpg

Its made around a real tree
Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-100.jpg

Joshu after his breakfast
Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-101.jpg

Today’s menu: Bread butter jam, Egg omelets, Poori and Potato kurma! No need to write we had enough. We decided to sip the coffee taking rest in the back yard. Weather was pleasant and the view to the hills were just mind-blowing. There were lot of flowering and fruit plants all around, I tried some clicks while others decided to review the trip till date.

Verandah from where we could see the landscapes
Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-102.jpg

Joshu was enjoying to his max
Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-103.jpg

Looks like beads!
Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-104.jpg

I love this hill view
Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-105.jpg

Couldnt get any closer than this but no effective focus
Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-106.jpg

Jasmines
Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-107.jpg

I looked out closely to the field and the scene triggered goose bumps on me .

(to be continued...)

Last edited by jacs : 5th October 2010 at 17:03.
Old 5th October 2010, 19:28   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandans2005 View Post
J

There are no tigers in Bandipur anymore. Its just a belief. But yes, sometime, if one is very lucky, they get to spot a leopard.
There are 140 tigers in the BAndipur forest area, as per the Naturalist in Jungle Lodges. and yes, we did spot one when we went.. check my tlog on bandipur.
Old 6th October 2010, 12:23   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
There are 140 tigers in the BAndipur forest area, as per the Naturalist in Jungle Lodges. and yes, we did spot one when we went.. check my tlog on bandipur.
smsrini, I did mention about your thread (check the below post). So the census result of 100+ stays authentic. Happy to see big cats are bettering from extinct.

Quote:
Oh thats sad! But the forest department guy, a wildlife photographer whom I met during safari and my tribal guide Siddu told the same figure 100+ including Bandipur, Mudumalai, Wayanad, Nagarhole and Kabini.

Spotting a striped cat is not that easy these days. But another BHPian spotted one recently, check this http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-bandipur.html

Also Moyar hydel project area is being visited by a beast recently as mentioned by me. Plus Wait for my upcoming posts, some tiger stories coming .

Do provide us the details about striped cats, its a pleasure for all of us. Doctor Abheek Ghosh is also subscribed to this thread, he is an avid wildlife enthusiast.

Many lucky ones spot them while simply travelling (not safari) to some destinations via this route. My neighbour spotted one few years back while crossing the road just few KMs after Gunlupet towards Wayanad (not at all expected in village sides).
Old 6th October 2010, 14:30   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I looked out closely to the field and the scene triggered goose bumps on me .

Do you see anything in the below photo?

Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-108.jpg

Little more closer look, anything?

Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-109.jpg

Again more coser, anything catching your attention?

Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-110.jpg

Earlybird prizes are there, please rush your responses!

(to be continued...)
Old 6th October 2010, 14:38   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

(to be continued...)
What's that, an elephant hidden behind the foliage??
Old 6th October 2010, 14:53   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Do you see anything in the below photo?

(to be continued...)
Is this one of those 3D photos where we got to look cross eyed and something pops out? I cant see anything
Old 6th October 2010, 15:13   #74
Senior - BHPian

Delight for eyes!

Thanks for straining your eyes Addy & Raj.

You can surely see what I am talking about from the below picture.
Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-111.jpg

Now go back to the old images and see if you could get an idea about the numbers .

I couldn’t control my joy; never in life have I seen that many butterflies (not even in Bannerghetta Butterfly Park). It’s not hundreds, not even in thousands, still more! No words to explain my feeling, enjoy the snaps.

Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-112.jpg

Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-113.jpg

Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-114.jpg

Three days in "The Wilderness" - My best Wildlife trip so far-115.jpg

(to be continued....)
Old 6th October 2010, 17:18   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for straining your eyes Addy & Raj.

You can surely see what I am talking about from the below picture.
Wow, looks great, so many. Well, we couldnt catch them as we were straining to see something more bigger . Looking forward to the complete set .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks