4 different trains
250 Kms on a Indica
1 Km on a cycle rickshaw
40Kms on a Bolero
100Kms on Auto Rickshaw
10Kms on foot
4 out of 6 nights in a train
Paid for 5 days (120 hours) across hotels, spent less than 35 hours inside them

Delhi should be removed from a 'corporation' and De-Moted to a 'Municipality' - Honestly

Thank God, Gandhi is no more to see the enterance of his resting place..!!

If Delhi cars were alive - they would hartal/protest/claim for a 'Anti-Harrasment' Law against them - Damn... Never seen so many ABUSED cars in a big city..!!

A Cup of tea costs 3 to 5 bucks in Eastern UttarPradesh and it is worth 10 bucks in the south - Yum Yum

Benaras paan is the best ever

A Samosa is 2.5Rs in Benaras - the best I have had till date

I am sad to know in Ayodhya, that the minority community of this Great Nation are not allowed within 15Km radius

IRCTC has something called a 'Janta Meal' which costs 10Rs, has 7 small pudi/poori's in it with little potato/aaloo baaji

Monkeys are nearly 2 feet tall when on all 4's in this part of UP - and men HAVE to fear them

Out here anyone greater than 12 years of age always has gutkha/tobacco inside the mouth, and end up looking a cow with constant chewing of the cud

Police block normal roads inside Benaras town, and ask Auto driver/tourist for 20bucks to pass thru. Else, one has to pass thru unbelievable narrow lanes to bypass the longer roads

Ginger hotel in Delhi stinks, whole room was filled with 1mm of water of the previous night rains, the entrance to the place is anyones guess. The words 'management, customer service' are greek to those guys there.

Police and locals in Ayodhya go hand-in-hand, literally. That place is an absolute cess pool. If there is one thing the locals are afraid of - it is the RAF. These guys mean business and scare the crap out of the locals.

While on the shuttle bus from IGI to the airplane - the Spicejet person from Gate# 7 calls me on mobile and asked me to checkin ASAP and board the plane. They had no clue that 3 adults were going towards their plane... talk about security..!!

The best lassi I have had till date was in benaras - not the left bank old town, but on the right bank, Ram Nagar side. This guy puts malai and rabdi on top of lassi and sells it for 15Rs. He is GOD - had so many and ended up with a good flu!

The Old Iron bridge in Benaras belongs to a Rare class of bridges in the world - where both road and rail pass across the same span

If not visited, at least passed thru Kanpur, Lucknow, Allahabad, Agra - need to visit them in detail in future

I saw at least 10 different news channels inside Ayodhya on T-Minus-1day, all of them ran out once the judgement got postponed!!

-------------------

Pics and story coming up...
Old 27th September 2010, 20:03   #2
Senior - BHPian

Ride to Delhi, and some pics of Delhi...

20-sep-2010
Monday, 2000Hrs

Took the Rajdhani from Bangalore to Delhi and reached there on...

22-Sep-2010
Wednesday, 0700Hrs

First made a plan to visit NEW Delhi and get a good EMPTY Roads view of the monuments of this great Country. Visited the India Gate, Raj Path, Rashtrapathi Bhavan, Parliament house, CWG building, Jamia Masjid, Red Fort, Some part of ring roads, the OLD Metal Rail Bridge, and finally the Raj Ghat...

Ayodhya - T-Minus-24 hours-dsc_1926.jpg

Ayodhya - T-Minus-24 hours-dsc_1927.jpg

Ayodhya - T-Minus-24 hours-dsc_1930.jpg

Ayodhya - T-Minus-24 hours-dsc_1931.jpg

Ayodhya - T-Minus-24 hours-dsc_1932.jpg

Ayodhya - T-Minus-24 hours-dsc_1934.jpg

Ayodhya - T-Minus-24 hours-dsc_1936.jpg

Ayodhya - T-Minus-24 hours-dsc_1946.jpg

Ayodhya - T-Minus-24 hours-dsc_1952.jpg

Ayodhya - T-Minus-24 hours-dsc_1957.jpg

Ayodhya - T-Minus-24 hours-dsc_1969.jpg

Ayodhya - T-Minus-24 hours-dsc_1970.jpg

Ayodhya - T-Minus-24 hours-dsc_1971.jpg

Ayodhya - T-Minus-24 hours-dsc_1975.jpg

Ayodhya - T-Minus-24 hours-dsc_1985.jpg

Ayodhya - T-Minus-24 hours-dsc_1987.jpg

Ayodhya - T-Minus-24 hours-dsc_1990.jpg

Ayodhya - T-Minus-24 hours-dsc_2009.jpg

Ayodhya - T-Minus-24 hours-dsc_2012.jpg

Ayodhya - T-Minus-24 hours-dsc_2021.jpg

Ayodhya - T-Minus-24 hours-dsc_2026.jpg

Ayodhya - T-Minus-24 hours-dsc_2027.jpg

Ayodhya - T-Minus-24 hours-dsc_2028.jpg

Ayodhya - T-Minus-24 hours-dsc_2034.jpg

Ayodhya - T-Minus-24 hours-dsc_2035.jpg

Ayodhya - T-Minus-24 hours-dsc_2039.jpg

Ayodhya - T-Minus-24 hours-dsc_2043.jpg

Ayodhya - T-Minus-24 hours-dsc_2047.jpg

Ayodhya - T-Minus-24 hours-dsc_2054.jpg

Ayodhya - T-Minus-24 hours-dsc_2056.jpg
Old 27th September 2010, 20:10   #3
Senior - BHPian

Last few pics from Delhi.

Ayodhya - T-Minus-24 hours-dsc_2057.jpg

Ayodhya - T-Minus-24 hours-dsc_2061.jpg

Ayodhya - T-Minus-24 hours-dsc_2062.jpg

Ayodhya - T-Minus-24 hours-dsc_2063.jpg

I found lane sense lacking more in Delhi than Bangy... And what is with those cycle guys cutting across 3 lanes within 10 meters!! See the pic in post 2, notice the tyre mark on the wet road.
Old 27th September 2010, 20:14   #4
Senior - BHPian

That's a fantastic report you've written in the first post. I'm waiting to see them in pics. Its very much spiced up & you've set a high expectation on this one, I'm all eyes on this thread to see them. So keep them coming.

But its little disheartening to read few of the sad truth's that you've penned down.
Old 27th September 2010, 21:02   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post

I am sad to know in Ayodhya, that the minority community of this Great Nation are not allowed within 15Km radius
Aah...pseudo secularism...
Don't worry about it.

And good that you are learning some cool stuff about our country - like Tobacco, Samosa and Lassi...

Only when you go out, you learn.

Last edited by anandpadhye : 27th September 2010 at 21:04.
Old 28th September 2010, 13:00   #6
BHPian

I remember when i visited Delhi around 12 years back for the first time. It was my first time in a big city and i must have looked like a village idiot saying 'oooh' 'aaah' at all the buildings ( both historical as well as the new ones) .

I miss Benaras a lot. I hope you visited Sarnath too as it is very close to Benaras. I think I had ticked off a lot of the so called guides in Sarnath as i used to take my relatives ( or my friends' relatives ) there whenever they visited Benaras and used to be their guide .
Nice description of your experiences on the tour. The best Samosas ( and Chole Batura for that matter ) I had were the ones i had in the BHU canteens. Looking forward to the complete tour pics.
Old 28th September 2010, 14:30   #7
Senior - BHPian

Since this trip was a travel intensive more than sight seeing, I made out a cheat sheet in excel and kept it handy. North was very new to me, and especially the unexplored eastern UP were unknown to many Tbhpians. Many including HVK and SSTraveller gave good inputs about, but Ayodhya was a unknown territory...

Delhi was no big deal, get out of station, trod thru lots of bad roads, experience the mayhem before the CWG, enjoy the filth at Ginger, and head out of Delhi, but not so fast.

Thanks to Harjeev, I learnt 2 things.

1) Delhi has 3 main railway stations. The newest 'Hazrat Nizzamuddin', 'New Delhi (NDLS), and 'Delhi Jn' (Aka DLI Old Delhi). This trip saw me board/alight from each of these stations.

2) That many trains out of Old Delhi station were 'cancelled', 'delayed', 'rerouted' to the flooded 'lohay ka pull' - The old Iron Bridge; water was hardly few inches below it.

So the 8 hour stopover at Delhi became a dash to the DLI and learn about the Kaifiyat - train from DLI to Faizabad... The route from NDLS to DLI looks very innocent on wikimaps/google maps. I ought to sue them for taking those pics on sunday afternoon!!

It was a hellish drive, took more than a hour for those ~10 Kms, and was a eye opener to leave early from ginger to DLI. Luckily the train was on time, and re-routed thru NDLS-Sahibabad-Ghaziabad-back on original path.

Kaifiyat should have been designed by Kalmadi I think. When it pulled into the platform, the dabba had water all inside it, all seats were covered with 2-3MM of rain water. No water in the loo, windows were painted red with all the thoo-thoo from paan/gutkha. It was a different experience. I quickly hit the top berth and could not see more of it.

I forgot to mention, wifey came along with me till secundrabad, got down there... On way from bangy she mentioned that if only anniyan/aaparichit had travelled by rajdhani, he would not have made chicken-65 out of the caterer - she spoke too soon...!!! For a moment I was planning Part-2, a sequel, only for atrocities in IRCTC..!!

The re-reroute cost us additional 2 hours, and by 8AM we were outside the faizabad station. Took 2 cycle rickshaws for 30Rs each for the 1Km ride to Krishna palace. After we got down, we gave 50Rs, felt bad for the guys who do this for a living.

Krishna palace was a welcome change from ginger, but at a cost. I had initially booked for 2 days (see excel sheet), but later planned to quick ESCAPE from hell before the 24th. The hotel insisted they lost business and made me pay for the 2 days, though I spent less than 2 hours in it. What to do..!! There were many media guys ready to take it up if I said no, and i was sure all other hotels were filled up.

Took a bolero for Ayodhya savari, no indica guy was ready to risk it..!! We ended up paying 1200Rs for the 2-3 hour ride which was less than 50Kms. Oh, and this Pradeep guy had press written on front and back - he said with aplomb, no one dares to stop me...!!

PS, he also said with impunity, 'Yes, as a teenager I was at the 'top', who has the Cojones to question me, there are lacs of guys like me who carry on with our lives in here daily'..!!

Ayodhya is a 6Km drive from Faizabad. There are no alcohol and meat shops inside this town. It looked normal except for the huge presence of cops/RAF/military.

The janm bhoomi was a fortress, closed for everyone. There is nothing in there anyways. River Sarayu (sacred according to ramayan) was in full spate, thx to the monsoons. The town if not for all the issues, looks beautiful from a construction POV. It is OLD, and nothing is changed till date.

The saints/sadhus are the LAW there, and I was nearly reprimanded when I went to take pics of a place called 'hanuman chadi'. It is next to a TALL tower with lot of laddoo shops (in pics).

We visited the 'factory' where all the pillars for the proposed temple are constructed and rotting around. Also visited the place where the so called '2 idols discovered in 1950 inside babri' are kept. In the same place, we were offered a darshan' of the sadhu/applicant in the case from the temples side. I forgot his name, anyone knows it?

Ayodhya - T-Minus-24 hours-dsc_2065.jpg

Ayodhya - T-Minus-24 hours-dsc_2066.jpg

Ayodhya - T-Minus-24 hours-dsc_2067.jpg

Ayodhya - T-Minus-24 hours-dsc_2069.jpg

Ayodhya - T-Minus-24 hours-dsc_2070.jpg

Ayodhya - T-Minus-24 hours-dsc_2071.jpg

Ayodhya - T-Minus-24 hours-dsc_2073.jpg

Ayodhya - T-Minus-24 hours-dsc_2075.jpg

Ayodhya - T-Minus-24 hours-dsc_2077.jpg

Ayodhya - T-Minus-24 hours-dsc_2078.jpg

Ayodhya - T-Minus-24 hours-dsc_2079.jpg

Ayodhya - T-Minus-24 hours-dsc_2082.jpg

Ayodhya - T-Minus-24 hours-dsc_2084.jpg

Ayodhya - T-Minus-24 hours-dsc_2085.jpg

Ayodhya - T-Minus-24 hours-dsc_2087.jpg

Ayodhya - T-Minus-24 hours-dsc_2089.jpg

Ayodhya - T-Minus-24 hours-dsc_2092.jpg

Ayodhya - T-Minus-24 hours-dsc_2096.jpg

Ayodhya - T-Minus-24 hours-dsc_2101.jpg

Ayodhya - T-Minus-24 hours-dsc_2104.jpg

Ayodhya - T-Minus-24 hours-dsc_2106.jpg

Ayodhya - T-Minus-24 hours-dsc_2107.jpg

Ayodhya - T-Minus-24 hours-dsc_2108.jpg

Ayodhya - T-Minus-24 hours-dsc_2111.jpg

Ayodhya - T-Minus-24 hours-dsc_2113.jpg

Ayodhya - T-Minus-24 hours-dsc_2116.jpg

Ayodhya - T-Minus-24 hours-dsc_2119.jpg

Ayodhya - T-Minus-24 hours-dsc_2120.jpg

Ayodhya - T-Minus-24 hours-dsc_2123.jpg

trip plan.xls
Old 28th September 2010, 21:05   #8
BHPian

Hi Santosh,

Really amazing TL. The pics are amazing and got me really involved into this Travelogue. Its a very unique TL considering that it also has Ayodhya in it. Very informative to get a first hand update about the situation there. Thanks for sharing and waiting for some more pics.
Old 29th September 2010, 11:14   #9
Senior - BHPian

This batch of pics are from Ayodhya, random ones. One can see the town, the tall tomb/tower that is often shown in TV. Bang opposite this is the Hanuman Chadi, where I had a close encounter with a sadhu... The ladoo shop pic is the last i could manage of interior ayodhya. There was lots more to click, but no one would allow me..!!

And the last 3 pics were spy shots (without looking into the view finder), I just held the camera focusing the entrance to the janm bhoomi and clicked away... just too much cops/military to even risk taking a proper pic.

Later in the day I will post the 'beautiful' country side of this place, if one would look at those pics first (without knowing the dark history) he would not fathom that such bad luck could be associated with such a place...

Ayodhya - T-Minus-24 hours-dsc_2124.jpg

Ayodhya - T-Minus-24 hours-dsc_2126.jpg

Ayodhya - T-Minus-24 hours-dsc_2129.jpg

Ayodhya - T-Minus-24 hours-dsc_2130.jpg

Ayodhya - T-Minus-24 hours-dsc_2134.jpg

Ayodhya - T-Minus-24 hours-dsc_2135.jpg

Ayodhya - T-Minus-24 hours-dsc_2137.jpg

Ayodhya - T-Minus-24 hours-dsc_2138.jpg

Ayodhya - T-Minus-24 hours-dsc_2139.jpg

Ayodhya - T-Minus-24 hours-dsc_2140.jpg

Ayodhya - T-Minus-24 hours-dsc_2141.jpg

Ayodhya - T-Minus-24 hours-dsc_2142.jpg

Ayodhya - T-Minus-24 hours-dsc_2143.jpg

Ayodhya - T-Minus-24 hours-dsc_2144.jpg

Ayodhya - T-Minus-24 hours-dsc_2146.jpg

Ayodhya - T-Minus-24 hours-dsc_2149.jpg
Old 30th September 2010, 11:26   #10

@svsantosh loved the pics. It brought all the memories back. 15 years after I left Faizabad nothing has changed in Ayodhya - Faizabad. Even the Brass band car is still there near Angoori bag the building and the road in same pathetic condition.

Well you Missed some beautiful spots in Faizabad.
1. Gulab Badi (Shooting of Umraojan "Rekha" Happened here)
2. Bahu Begum ka Maqbara or Fort Calcutta (Shooting of Umraojan "Rekha" Happened here)
3. Deokali Mandir (Ram Lala was brought here for Darshan on his Chathi (6th day of birth)
4. Bharat Kund (Where Bharat ji stayed for 14 years when Ramchandraji was in Vanvas "there are turtles aging 100 years in the kund")
5. Military Temple
6. Guptar Ghat where Shri Ram took Jal Samadhi
7. Company Garden
8. Ghanta Ghar (center of Faizabad All roads to and from go from here)

Hope next time when some one goes there we can have pics of some other places too.

And when you talk about Ayodhya. You did not mention about the Raj Sadan : Palace of the current reigning King of Ayodhya (yes Ayodhya still has a king)

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 20 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by .anshuman : 30th September 2010 at 14:47. Reason: Please take a look at the mod note that has been added to the end of your post.
Old 30th September 2010, 14:37   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Later in the day I will post the 'beautiful' country side of this place, if one would look at those pics first (without knowing the dark history) he would not fathom that such bad luck could be associated with such a place...
German countryside is also extremely beautiful.
So is Taj Mahal, and South Africa...
And these places have really dark history..."undisputed".
Save your emotions for those travelogues...
Old 30th September 2010, 14:52   #12
BANNED

Santhosh Saar,

When did you go there?

Nice travelogue, Somehow most of the pics show up north being Dirty.

Anyways, the title is a bit Controversial

I better talk to you over the phone than comment here.
Old 30th September 2010, 15:02   #13
Senior - BHPian

Nice travelogue Santosh and lovely pics to go with it ! Waiting to see and read more !
Old 30th September 2010, 15:23   #14
BANNED

What would be the purpose of the rear skirts on the bus? Hope it isn't only for cleaning the road
Quote:

Last edited by diabloo : 30th September 2010 at 15:32.
Old 30th September 2010, 17:46   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keanu_reeves View Post
Well you Missed some beautiful spots in Faizabad.
K_R, I really would have loved to see more places but was so short of time!! The station master would not guarantee the trains would stop in Faizabad/Ayodhya stations the next day... No RAF/Police would guarantee the roads would be open to travel the next day, (24th) - all this was before the 2PM SC Verdict, so there was too much to risk and we just moved on to Benaras.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Save your emotions for those travelogues...
I just made a comment on the beauty Vs the disputed luck and status of the place, no display of emotions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Santhosh Saar,
When did you go there?
Nice travelogue, Somehow most of the pics show up north being Dirty.
Anyways, the title is a bit Controversial
Raghav aavare - 20-26 sep was spent there... Lets not say north is dirty, all I went was to any average rural town in India. For any outsider the shivaji nagar pics would resemble like Faiza/Ayodhya/Old Delhi...
New Delhi was too beautiful and very very well maintained. Wish all India was like that.

Nothing controversy with title sir, I wanted to imply I was in Ayodhya a day (24hrs) before the actual verdict date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannan666 View Post
Nice travelogue Santosh and lovely pics to go with it ! Waiting to see and read more !
thanks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
What would be the purpose of the rear skirts on the bus? Hope it isn't only for cleaning the road
I think it is to suppress the rear water spray, forgot what is it called in F1 terms.... And what are the 2 plumbing water pipes doing on the rear?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks