Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2010, 21:30   #1
BHPian

Kolli Hills - Day Trip from Bangalore (“Aagasa Gangai falls” at its Best)

Prelude: Trip to Kolli Hills was in my mind since May’10, when I couldn’t join Team-Bhp guys for the meet. I had no idea about the condition of the fall during rains (Safety point of view). Still, we (Family & friends) decided to go. Believe me, it was worth a visit!

No. Of people: 5
Car : Ritz Vxi

Preparations:
1) Decided to leave early around 4 AM, since the ‘one way’ distance is around 300 Kms.
2) Packed our bags with packaged food items, cakes, cold drinks & water.
3) Took umbrellas, spare pair of clothes, first aid kit & trekking / Sports shoes.
4) Tanked up the car previous night to save time in the morning.

Here we go:
We started from Belandur at 4.10 AM; all passengers were in sleepy & silent mode (except me – as I had to drive). There was no traffic at all.

The journey details as below:
1) Started from Belandur : 4.10 AM
2) Electronic City toll booth : 4.18 AM
3) Hosur Toll Booth : 4.30 AM
4) Passed Salem town : 6.15 AM
5) Crossed Rasipuram town : 6.45 AM

Avg speed in morning for first 230 Kms : 100 Km/h, Max speed: 150 Km/h.

We slowed down after Rasipuram as I was not sure about the route, but directions given here helped a lot:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...bangalore.html
(Left to Rasipuram is well marked on NH7 after crossing the Children’s park on Left. This left is 18-20 Kms after Salem. Post Rasipuram, anywhere if you get confused – just ask for “Kolli hills” and anybody can guide you.)

When we started climbing up 70 hairpin bends, we really slowed down. We had reached here very early and therefore decided to take few breaks to take some photographs of the valley on way. The weather was superb (Mist, clouds, Forests all around). The roads are good too.

Finally, we reached the top and then proceeded to 'Arpaleeswarar temple' (which is 17 kms ahead from the check post on top). The roads here are little damaged after rains, but very much drivable.

We reached the temple (Parking slot) at 8.50 AM. From door to door, it took 4 hours 40 mins. (With around 25 mins break in total on the way). In short, if you know the route and want to reach non-stop; this can be done in 4 hours flat.

At the Spot now:

We decided to have breakfast near the temple, where you have 4-5 small shops serving you idli, dosa, tea, coffee, cold drinks, mineral water etc. (Remember : You don’t have any decent hotel after Salem and we had crossed Salem at 6.15 AM when nothing was open).

You have to climb down 1000+ steps to reach falls and we started climbing down at 9.45 AM. It was not very easy, since many steps are too steep to climb or walk down.

We clicked photos on way, but didn’t rest anywhere. You can hear the water fall as soon as you climb down initial 100 steps and sound goes on increasing as you get closer – boosting your excitement. We took around 20 mins to reach the falls and WOW ! “Aagasa Gangai falls” at its Best !

We spent around 1 hour & 15 mins here. You have one room built here (A Changing room); not clean – but solves the purpose. The rocks around falls were slippery. So, you need to be careful.

You get to see one more fall next to this big one, which is smaller in size (Width wise). I am not sure if you get to see two falls during summer. Hence, I felt “The best season to visit this place is during / just after rains”.

We started climbing back at 11.50 AM and took several stops in between as climbing up was a tough task. Packed food items & cold drinks helped to re-energize ourselves.

After reaching at the top, we visited the temple (Its Iswara i.e. Mahadeva temple) and started our journey back at 1.10 PM. It started drizzling & then we faced heavy rains around Rasipuram. We thought, we were lucky to have finished the sightseeing in the morning.

Due to rains and having enough time in hand to reach Bangalore, I slowed down my speed. We stopped for food at Dharmapuri ‘Ghar Dhaba’. Reached Belandur at 7 PM (Faced lot of traffic around Hosur).

I found ‘Kolli Hills’ very much doable in a day and have decided to go there often or whenever I have to take my guests somewhere. I would definitely prefer it than Hogenakkal, Mekedatu etc. (though all places are beautiful in their own way).

What I liked about this place:-
1) Less crowded (Especially if you go here early morning)
2) Not commercial
3) Nature’s beauty at its best (You have Ghats, forest, Fall, Temple..Almost everything).
4) Roads are good all the way
5) Found this place very much suitable for families

Only constraint is to find decent hotel / food around. (Which you can pack from home).

So if you haven’t been here – Plan it as soon as possible.
Cheers !

(More photos to follow)
Attached Thumbnails
Kolli Hills - Day Trip from Bangalore (“Aagasa Gangai falls” at its Best)-img_2797.jpg  

Last edited by neo45007 : 27th September 2010 at 21:45.
neo45007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2010, 23:37   #2
BHPian

Some photos

1) 4.20 AM @ Electronic City flyover.
2) One of the best roads to drive on NH7.
Attached Thumbnails
Kolli Hills - Day Trip from Bangalore (“Aagasa Gangai falls” at its Best)-img_2728.jpg  

Kolli Hills - Day Trip from Bangalore (“Aagasa Gangai falls” at its Best)-img_2810.jpg  

Old 27th September 2010, 23:48   #3
BHPian

More photos

3) Road after Rasipuram
4) 70 Hairpin bends
5) Climbing up..driving on towards 1300+ mts high from sea level
6) View from the Ghats (1)
7) View from the Ghats (2)
8) View of the hills around
Attached Thumbnails
Kolli Hills - Day Trip from Bangalore (“Aagasa Gangai falls” at its Best)-img_2735.jpg  

Kolli Hills - Day Trip from Bangalore (“Aagasa Gangai falls” at its Best)-img_2753.jpg  

Kolli Hills - Day Trip from Bangalore (“Aagasa Gangai falls” at its Best)-img_2760.jpg  

Kolli Hills - Day Trip from Bangalore (“Aagasa Gangai falls” at its Best)-img_2751.jpg  

Kolli Hills - Day Trip from Bangalore (“Aagasa Gangai falls” at its Best)-img_2763.jpg  

Kolli Hills - Day Trip from Bangalore (“Aagasa Gangai falls” at its Best)-photo0027.jpg  

Old 27th September 2010, 23:58   #4
BHPian

Last set of photos

9) Some green fields at 1000+ mts above sea level
10) Steps to the fall
11) Another (smaller) fall
12) Main fall (Aagasa Gangai)
13) Aagasa Gangai fall
14) Views from the steps going towards fall
Attached Thumbnails
Kolli Hills - Day Trip from Bangalore (“Aagasa Gangai falls” at its Best)-img_2807.jpg  

Kolli Hills - Day Trip from Bangalore (“Aagasa Gangai falls” at its Best)-img_2767.jpg  

Kolli Hills - Day Trip from Bangalore (“Aagasa Gangai falls” at its Best)-img_2783.jpg  

Kolli Hills - Day Trip from Bangalore (“Aagasa Gangai falls” at its Best)-img_2798.jpg  

Kolli Hills - Day Trip from Bangalore (“Aagasa Gangai falls” at its Best)-img_2799.jpg  

Kolli Hills - Day Trip from Bangalore (“Aagasa Gangai falls” at its Best)-cimg3312.jpg  

Old 28th September 2010, 09:49   #5
BHPian

Great writeup and pics! Looks like the falls are in full glory. I'm planning to go there sometime next month. Hoping to spend some quality time in the falls there
Old 28th September 2010, 09:58   #6
Team-BHP Support

The green field is truly a revelation! Where do they get water for Paddy?
One will need continuous supply. Is mountain water enough?
Old 28th September 2010, 10:10   #7
Senior - BHPian

greats pictures , and very informative thread.I am planning to be there sometime soon .
Old 28th September 2010, 10:14   #8
Senior - BHPian

@Neo, Nice trip you had ! Kolli is in my wishlist since long but most of the weeken ds eat time for shopping and some relative house visits. I think its best to visit after the rains, so that travel will be easy and waterfall will be in full life.
Old 28th September 2010, 12:06   #9
BHPian

Thanks for all the responses

@ Jacs, MS & Subhash : Plan it soon & have fun. Thanks for your response.

@ Ampere : I guess the mountain water should be enough to have those fields. I wish I could buy a farm there.
Old 28th September 2010, 12:14   #10
Team-BHP Support

And also 70 hairpin bends is quite a number!
All in one stretch of the route? But they may not be as steep are Ooty.
Old 28th September 2010, 12:26   #11
BHPian

Awesome pics. Seems like another place to add to my wishlist. The list keeps increasing and I have start ticking off some places on the list pretty soon .
Old 28th September 2010, 12:28   #12
BHPian

@ Ampere : Yes, they are definitely not as steep as Ooty. I could drive my Ritz in 3rd gear most of the time. I guess this should give you an idea.
But, you have 70 marked hairpin bends on the route.
Old 28th September 2010, 12:51   #13
Senior - BHPian

Excellent pics. My father had been to this place many years ago. I am great lover of water falls. Yet to cover this place... Hope will do it sometime...

-Ravi
Old 29th September 2010, 15:35   #14
BHPian

Hi Ravi,

I wonder what kind of infrastructure or facilities were present that time !
Has your father taken any photos then ? Might be exciting to see them now.
Old 29th September 2010, 17:51   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo45007 View Post
Hi Ravi,

I wonder what kind of infrastructure or facilities were present that time !
Has your father taken any photos then ? Might be exciting to see them now.
Unfortunately no pics. :(
He told me it was more of thick forest and no basic facilities were there.

Anyways, i really enjoyed your awesome pics. Many could be wallpapers

-Ravi

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks