Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2010, 17:46   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
After about 2 weeks of hectic running around, i have some time free till tomorrow night. Tomorrow is a holiday here in Bangalore, so i lookforward for a relaxed day as well as to complete this travelogue.
Hi SV,

Nice TL and snaps,

What's holiday for? We are working tomorrow.
Old 6th October 2010, 18:12   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
PS : Its weird that your camera overwrote images after reaching 1000.
It is something to do with the file name convention followed. e.g. DSC_000 to DSC_999...then it again resets to DSC_000.
the solution is to make the numbering 4 digit. there is an option in D90 to do it. i am still searching for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRRaj View Post
Great Pictures. The Sunflower field a real bonus. Too bad I couldnt join in :-( Am sure I will be getting more jealous as the travelogue progresses
Hi Raj,

the purpose of the log is to share the info. i remember the advertisment of an Indian TV brand.. neighbour's envy, owners pride. One way to avoid being jealous is to make a trip, but for that you need to wait another year. This is the very reason we did everything possible to visit this year.

So please stay tuned in this thread to know more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post
Excellent pictures... you got to enjoy the nature in all its glory - early morning is always the best time to visit places like these.

BTW, I don't think it was the 'fog' you saw - it is more of a cloud formation, which transcends the hills from time to time. If you want to enjoy fog, head once again in the same direction from Bangalore and deviate to Pachgani / Mahabaleshwar in December / January. The fog smothers these places in white in these months - absolute bliss!
Yes, we visited Kaas on the 25th Sept morning. the pictures would come up shortly.

Yes, it is very difficult to distinguis between FOG and CLOUD. For a city dweller like me they are one and the same. the only difference i can imagine is CLOUD would be more humid (= contains more water) and probably darker than FOG.

On lighter sense, FOG can invoke a feeling of love, cozyness where as Cloud can make one feel as if being on top of the world.

Yes, i have experienced the Fog at Mahabaleshwar several years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Nice travelogue and some wonderful moments snapped, SVB.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Star, beautiful place! Really nice snaps, waiting for more.

BTW what holiday? Its working day for us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu230506 View Post
Hi SV,

Nice TL and snaps,

What's holiday for? We are working tomorrow.
Thanks mallumowgli, Jacs, Raghu.

I learnt about holiday only at 4 PM. My colleague told me about it.
I am told tomorrow is Mahalaya Amavasya. on hearing this imeadiately postponed by 2 meeting scheduled for tomorrow. I am really looking forward for a lazy morning tomorrow.

Last edited by StarVegabond : 6th October 2010 at 18:16.
Old 6th October 2010, 19:18   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am really looking forward for a lazy morning tomorrow.
And as for me, looking forward to too much relaxation
Old 7th October 2010, 08:27   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
And as for me, looking forward to too much relaxation
Let me know "how relaxing it was" once you are back.

Moving forward with this log.

When we boarded the baord, I thought the Nageshwar and Tatta Tamples are on the island, but once we reached the location, i learnt that one can drive to this location as well.

The guide told me that the last couple of KMs one need to walk as road is like this. i can imagine the road to be very scenic.
Flower Power : Celebrating nature, the mini KAASmiri way-25-dsc_0277.jpg

There was a small shop, but no one was there to operate it. Look at the name, what else it could be ?
Flower Power : Celebrating nature, the mini KAASmiri way-26-dsc_0275.jpg

Where ever there is a Shiva, there has to be a Nandi
Flower Power : Celebrating nature, the mini KAASmiri way-27-dsc_0216.jpg

This vehicle seems to have excellent road presence, ride quality, leather finished seat, Road dynamics and cornering skills, long distance traveling ability, outstanding fuel economy, well built, and with excellent body finish, High powered Horns (literally) and sweet sounding bell for letting people know about its arrival, wonderful decorative accessories and more.
Flower Power : Celebrating nature, the mini KAASmiri way-28-dsc_0222.jpg

It is said that the fastest way to make a message reach Lord Shiva is to wisper it in the ear of Nandi.
Flower Power : Celebrating nature, the mini KAASmiri way-29-dsc_0219.jpg

Now it is the time to offer our prayers to Lord himself. But he is locaed inside a underground cave. this is the entrance to the cave.
Flower Power : Celebrating nature, the mini KAASmiri way-35-dsc_0276.jpg

This is how the cave looks like..it is very dark inside, i can not imagine my p&S camera capturing this image
Flower Power : Celebrating nature, the mini KAASmiri way-31-dsc_0252.jpg

Lord himself in his tradinational "Shiva Lingam" form with water droplets falling on it. Lord shiva is very fond of bathing (abhisheka priya), hence in most of the shiva temples there would be container hanging with water on top of the lingam and the droplets falling on top of the lingam.
Flower Power : Celebrating nature, the mini KAASmiri way-32-dsc_0239.jpg

But somehow i can not withstand water droplets falling on my head one by one. it would be very irritating for me. After some time it could be painful as well if my head is round (& shaven) like Lingam.

But Lord Shiva is different. It appears he simply likes this form of abhisheka.

Random shot creating a Zaaped effect. This could be the effect when one sees the lord himself.
Flower Power : Celebrating nature, the mini KAASmiri way-33-dsc_0244.jpg

This is the exit route on the other side
Flower Power : Celebrating nature, the mini KAASmiri way-34-dsc_0245.jpg

There is a Ganesha temple along side Shiva Temple. Father and the Son are a solid team anyway.
Flower Power : Celebrating nature, the mini KAASmiri way-36-dsc_0258.jpg
Flower Power : Celebrating nature, the mini KAASmiri way-37-dsc_0257.jpg

We saw some strange ant hill
Flower Power : Celebrating nature, the mini KAASmiri way-38-dsc_0254.jpg

Next is the Datta Guru temple
Flower Power : Celebrating nature, the mini KAASmiri way-39-dsc_0265.jpg
Flower Power : Celebrating nature, the mini KAASmiri way-40-dsc_0264.jpg

It is said that Datta Guru is very fond of Audumbar (I do not know the english name) Tree
Flower Power : Celebrating nature, the mini KAASmiri way-dsc_0270.jpg

Who is Datta guru and why is he fond of this tree ? These were the questiosn which my daughter asked. the discussion continued while we walk towards the boat. The details are beyond the scope of this thread as one needs to read the Datta Purana (Story of Datta Guru) for the right understanding.
Flower Power : Celebrating nature, the mini KAASmiri way-dsc_0274.jpg

A view of the sea from the place
Flower Power : Celebrating nature, the mini KAASmiri way-41-dsc_0280.jpg

By the time we got into the boat, other 2 boats landed along with some crowd, again we were lucky to miss the crowd and enjoy the place all by ourselves.
Flower Power : Celebrating nature, the mini KAASmiri way-42-dsc_0286.jpg

Last edited by StarVegabond : 7th October 2010 at 08:44.
Old 7th October 2010, 09:19   #35
Senior - BHPian

Now we were heading towards Tapola. I have no words to describe the landscapes we saw. hence it is better let the pictures talk about themselves. again, my pictures does not fully reflect what view we saw. one needs to be there to capture and understand the details.

Imagine having your own backyard like
Flower Power : Celebrating nature, the mini KAASmiri way-43-dsc_0308.jpg

A view of Bamnoli village from the boat
Flower Power : Celebrating nature, the mini KAASmiri way-44-dsc_0317.jpg

Look at the Greenary, cloud formation and windmills at the horizon
Flower Power : Celebrating nature, the mini KAASmiri way-45-dsc_0319.jpg

Another boat, but this one is carrying the localites wanting to go from one place to another.
Flower Power : Celebrating nature, the mini KAASmiri way-46-dsc_0325.jpg

A closer look at Bamnoli, look at the temple gopura..it looks wonderful.
Flower Power : Celebrating nature, the mini KAASmiri way-47-dsc_0330.jpg

Take a closer look at the boat
Flower Power : Celebrating nature, the mini KAASmiri way-48-dsc_0333.jpg

Greenary, Boats, wonderful landscapes, water front.
Flower Power : Celebrating nature, the mini KAASmiri way-49-dsc_0338.jpg

Imagine dining in such a resturant
Flower Power : Celebrating nature, the mini KAASmiri way-50-dsc_0380.jpg

Take a closer look at the resturant. Arriving in a boat, dining with dear ones with such a backdrop or in the moon light is simply a out of the world experience.
Flower Power : Celebrating nature, the mini KAASmiri way-51-dsc_0347.jpg

Have a look at Tapola village
Flower Power : Celebrating nature, the mini KAASmiri way-52-dsc_0359.jpg

Take a closer look
Flower Power : Celebrating nature, the mini KAASmiri way-53-dsc_0358.jpg

Some near by landscapes or waterfronts
Flower Power : Celebrating nature, the mini KAASmiri way-54-dsc_0360.jpg
Flower Power : Celebrating nature, the mini KAASmiri way-55-dsc_0362.jpg
Flower Power : Celebrating nature, the mini KAASmiri way-56-dsc_0363.jpg

We stopped for at the jetty. took the water scooter ride, got fully drenched in the rain. My daughter simply enjoyed the water scooter ride, first in a riding compettion between myself, wife and daughter riding different scooters(ofocurse with the attendent, we have to simply sit, attendent drives the scooter from the rear), later on racing against Lalu.

As it was rainig our cameras were safely inside the bag covered with water proof plastic bags.

Last edited by StarVegabond : 7th October 2010 at 09:21.
Old 7th October 2010, 09:53   #36
Senior - BHPian

I am loving it, sooting green snaps. Given the deserved rating! It cannot come down to 5 Star but no other options!
Old 7th October 2010, 10:48   #37
Senior - BHPian

Star, a wonderful travelogue in your usual style and nice pictures. Did these boats have life jackets? I do not want to get into such boats without life jackets.

We missed going to the lake that day. So I am planning to go for one more drive for the lake and boating (may go to Tapola via Mahabaleshwar).

-Biju
Old 7th October 2010, 13:00   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
I am loving it, sooting green snaps. Given the deserved rating! It cannot come down to 5 Star but no other options!
Thanks very much Jacs for your appreciation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
Star, a wonderful travelogue in your usual style and nice pictures. Did these boats have life jackets? I do not want to get into such boats without life jackets.

We missed going to the lake that day. So I am planning to go for one more drive for the lake and boating (may go to Tapola via Mahabaleshwar).

-Biju
Yes, the water scooter ride requires one to wear the life jackets. it is mandetory. The boat in which we went around, had life jackets on board, but we did not wear them, i had asked the boat operator about it, he told the boat ride does not mandate one to wear life jacket.

I would recommend that you must visit Bamnoli and Tapola.

Rains in such a scenic place has magical effects. Getting wet in the rains is a wonderful feeling. I wanted to take a picture of rain droplets.
Somehow suceeded and here it is.
Flower Power : Celebrating nature, the mini KAASmiri way-57-dsc_0364.jpg

I remembered the marathi poem written and sung by Sandeep Khare and composed by Dr. Salil Kulkarni. Here is a video version of the same where the writer/singer himself is acting as well.

This one is dedicated to the people who made this trip happen, the ones who made it to Kaas. I would like to mention Genesis, Ashish bhau, MX6, vrprabhu, Tuboholic among all these who were part of the cause that effected in me visiting KAASmir. This is a tribute to all of you and the others who joined this drive and meet.

Enjoy the video and song (if you know marathi)

Sari var Sar, (in marathi) means rain drops followed by rain drops.
One needs to understand marathi language to appreciate the lyrics and co-relate it with the the surroundings at Kaas, Bamnoli and Tapola.

My apologies, if you do not understand marathi, i have no skills to translate the song and its emotions in any other language.

More over i belive a Marathi heart land could be best enjoyed along with Marathi language, lyrics, voice, music and ofcourse marathi food (vadapav, kanda bhaji with hot tea) while watching rains fall from the sky.

ofcourse i would have liked a video which shows these landscapes with this song playing on the audio track. I will try to do some photo+audio mixing. I don't know how to do it, but will search, learn and do it in coming days. If i manage to do it, i will post it here too.

Last edited by StarVegabond : 7th October 2010 at 13:02.
Old 7th October 2010, 13:47   #39
Senior - BHPian

These are the last set of pictures from the boat ride amid the Koyna reservior

Journey (and life) continues despite rains
Flower Power : Celebrating nature, the mini KAASmiri way-58-dsc_0377.jpg

Ofocurse there is shelter to protect us from the rains
Flower Power : Celebrating nature, the mini KAASmiri way-59-dsc_0379.jpg

But some people simply love standing still in the rain especailly if the backdrop is so scenic
Flower Power : Celebrating nature, the mini KAASmiri way-60-dsc_0381.jpg

Interleaved Golfing Green with Rain Forest
Flower Power : Celebrating nature, the mini KAASmiri way-61-dsc_0382.jpg

We are fortunate to be here, watching this creation by the mother nature
Flower Power : Celebrating nature, the mini KAASmiri way-62-dsc_0383.jpg

We are all like waves created in water, but mother nature is ethernal, so we need to be greatful for this opportunity
Flower Power : Celebrating nature, the mini KAASmiri way-63-dsc_0374.jpg

2.5 hours long wonderful celebration ceremony with mother nature comes to an end.
Flower Power : Celebrating nature, the mini KAASmiri way-64-dsc_0388.jpg

We reached the home dabha by 4:40 PM. It was too late for lunch,
but were were starving (yes that is the right word), eventhough some apples and biscuits were consumed on board of the boat.

The lady at the dhabha (seems to be the owner's wife) had thought we had left without eating lunch. She was surprised that we were still arround. She asked us to wait for 10 minutes for preparign a fresh meal.

Indeed within 10 minutes freshly cooked thali lunch was served, Bhakri, mix vegitables, daal, rice, papad and other assortments cooked in authentic, village style marathi cuisine.

Not much was spoken during the "eating session" after the celebration. We have to be greatful to the lady, for taking efforts to prepare fresh bhakri and arranging thali for us despite it being an odd hour for lunch.

Finished our lunch by 5 PM, talked to the owner of the dhabha about his gypsy, looked around, took some more pictures (all of them already been posted as a part of the introduction to Bamnoli).

I think, we started our drive back by approx 5:30 PM (Lalu can confirm the exact time from his GPS log).

ofcourse, this is just a begining...more celebration to come, stay tuned.

Last edited by StarVegabond : 7th October 2010 at 13:58.
Old 7th October 2010, 14:56   #40
Senior - BHPian

I was looking for a peaceful and effortless drive back to Satara.
Lalu wanted to stop at Kaas flower valley and take some pictures in the evning light. So we were hopeful of reaching Kaas before 6 PM to just catch the sunset rays.

but mother nature had other plans. while climbing on to the hill i noticed a wonderful landscape, I asked Lalu whether want to stop, He did not reply, instead he started removing his camera from the bag. So i immediately stopped on the road side. Wife and daughter wanted to sleep in the car, so the two boys came out with thier cameras.

Here is what we saw. I have tried here the HDR technique. This is the first time i am using this, if someone who is knowledgeable can critique this it would help me.
Flower Power : Celebrating nature, the mini KAASmiri way-65-bamnoli-landscape-hdr-low-res.jpg

This is with my ANHC parked along side the landscape
Flower Power : Celebrating nature, the mini KAASmiri way-73-dsc_0492.jpg

This was the scenario on the opposite side
Flower Power : Celebrating nature, the mini KAASmiri way-66-dsc_0452.jpg

Having a closer look...notice the flowers
Flower Power : Celebrating nature, the mini KAASmiri way-74-dsc_0553.jpg

We walked a bit further, we noticed this
Flower Power : Celebrating nature, the mini KAASmiri way-70-dsc_0479.jpg

and a bit further...this one
Flower Power : Celebrating nature, the mini KAASmiri way-71-dsc_0482.jpg

We moved further down...one word came out of my mouth...Wow
Flower Power : Celebrating nature, the mini KAASmiri way-67-dsc_0455.jpg

Taking a closer look..such a stand still water, i would like to be on that boat ofcourse.
Flower Power : Celebrating nature, the mini KAASmiri way-68-dsc_0473.jpg

The view on the right hand side
Flower Power : Celebrating nature, the mini KAASmiri way-69-dsc_0470.jpg

after spending some time taking pictures, enjoying the landscape, we returned back

then we saw the owner of the Santaji dhaba with his Gypsy
Flower Power : Celebrating nature, the mini KAASmiri way-72-dsc_0431.jpg

Then i thought of trying my luck with Panaroma, here it is
Flower Power : Celebrating nature, the mini KAASmiri way-75-bamnoli-panaroma.jpg

Soon we got back into the car and started driving..

But soon this view made us stop again.
Flower Power : Celebrating nature, the mini KAASmiri way-76-dsc_0509.jpg

I have attached here an HDR of the above picture
Flower Power : Celebrating nature, the mini KAASmiri way-77-bamnoli-hdr-iii.jpg

Another presentation by mother nature
Flower Power : Celebrating nature, the mini KAASmiri way-78-dsc_0510.jpg

Another attempt by me to capture the view with most details.
Flower Power : Celebrating nature, the mini KAASmiri way-79-bamnoli-hdr-iv.jpg

We drove forward towards KAAS, then my daughter shouted...Look there !!!

we stopped. Mother nature was indeed showing her magic to us.

A twin ranbow.
Flower Power : Celebrating nature, the mini KAASmiri way-81-dsc_0558.jpg

Soon the second one vanished. I had never seen such a semicircular, complete rainbow in my life before
Flower Power : Celebrating nature, the mini KAASmiri way-82-dsc_0562.jpg

I was overwhelmed, I had not imagined i would experience such a wonderful celebration by nature.
I was fully satisfied by what i saw. soon we stopped at Kaas vally, Lalu took some pictures, i was in no mood to take any more pictures.

Soon we reached Hotel Maharaja by 7:30 PM.

Last edited by StarVegabond : 7th October 2010 at 15:13.
Old 7th October 2010, 15:18   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Let me know "how relaxing it was" once you are back.
Star, have already reached the destination by 14:00. Started by around 03:30AM. That was one amazing drive. You are right, breakfast at Hotel Sankam rocks

Civvy started whining on the drive. Some brakepad issues. It has already done 57K. Now with the service centre at the destination waiting for Civvy to be treated and mean while catching up on the lost time online.

Star, your photos have come out very nice. Probably we must again talk on some photography trips like we started with our Tranquebar and Kaas trips.
Old 7th October 2010, 17:45   #42

reading about Kaas, my heart said ,"Kaash!".

its a description which made a very delightful impression. It is a post which makes me sigh for typing this reply instead of posting the pics []
Old 7th October 2010, 18:10   #43
Team-BHP Support

Terrific Snaps there SVB! Amazing landscapes. Will plan some time for sure.
Could not come along this time. Heavy duty weekend work, right through the months.

EDIT: Can some one put a primer on how to capture/create an HDR image?

Last edited by ampere : 7th October 2010 at 18:14.
Old 7th October 2010, 22:55   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Star, have already reached the destination by 14:00. Started by around 03:30AM. That was one amazing drive. You are right, breakfast at Hotel Sankam rocks

Civvy started whining on the drive. Some brakepad issues. It has already done 57K. Now with the service centre at the destination waiting for Civvy to be treated and mean while catching up on the lost time online.

Star, your photos have come out very nice. Probably we must again talk on some photography trips like we started with our Tranquebar and Kaas trips.
it just took you 10.30 hrs for some 700+ KMs, that is an amazing drive you had. Good that you enjoyed the breakfast at Sankam.

Get your Civvy in order prior to starting your return journey.

Sure, we can plan more photography oriented trips. we can discuss once you are back with more relaxed body and mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolivar View Post
reading about Kaas, my heart said ,"Kaash!".

its a description which made a very delightful impression. It is a post which makes me sigh for typing this reply instead of posting the pics []

hi bolivar, you appear to be a newbie here, Welcome to this wonderful forum. even though this is a virtual online forum, the people here are real car, travel and photography gurus. hope you will have a nice time here.

next year sept you can convert your "Kaash..i was there" into "Kaas..here i come". look forward to read your log

meanwhile enjoy your time here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Terrific Snaps there SVB! Amazing landscapes. Will plan some time for sure.
Could not come along this time. Heavy duty weekend work, right through the months.

EDIT: Can some one put a primer on how to capture/create an HDR image?
thanks ampere, for your appreciation
Plan in such a way that neaxt year you can visit Kaas in sept.

Now calling it a day on 24th sept..

We were back on the road by 8 PM. This time on foot.
Enquired at the reception, where we can buy the Chitale amrakhanda and Kaandi pedha. Receptionist directed us towards Rajpurohit Sweets in the Shivaji chowk which is just outside the hotel. Wife visited Rajpurohit sweets and ensured that the needed things would be availbale next day.

We decided to take a walk around the town. the town was still buzzing. several shops were getting closed, but few were still doing brisk business. This confirmed one thing, why Maharastra is the most progressive state in India economically. Even though a small town it was still active at 8:30 PM where as several areas in bangalore would be closed by that time.

Kaas flower valley seems to have positively influenced the realestate designers in Satara. we saw seevral building with multiple coloured paintings. here is an example. it resembles the flower valley colours for sure.
Flower Power : Celebrating nature, the mini KAASmiri way-colourful-building-satara.jpg

My daughter wanted to eat Pav bhaji, so got it packed form the nearby resturant, wife had already decided to skip the dinner.

So once we were back to Maharaja, myself and Lalu had our dinner at the resturant over the discussion about the day, pictures, photography, plan for the next day etc. Sent few SMSs to Ashish and confirmed the next day's plan. Spent 30 minutes reviewing the pictures, so eventually called it a day by 10:30 PM..What a day it was !!!

The plan for next day was to get up at 5 AM, start from the hotel by 5:30 AM so that we can welcome the sun at the Kaas flower valley when SUN rises by 6:10 AM.

I have a long day tomorrow (Oct 8th), i have a one day trip to pune, have to catch the flight at 6 AM. hence i will not be able to post the whole day tomorrow (i.e. friday). I will continue the log on saturday (9th Oct) morning India time, once the forum completes the quick tune up and most of the members being ready having revved up their engines for the drive.

Thanks for staying with me, thanks very much for reading, appreciating.

Last edited by StarVegabond : 7th October 2010 at 23:05.
Old 9th October 2010, 06:20   #45
BHPian

Star - The photos on post 39 and 40 are brilliant. And ofcourse, mother nature, at her best, at the end of Monsoons!

Appreciate the idea of driving to the Kaas meadow. Waiting for more.

Regards
Pramod

Most Viewed