Team-BHP - “Jana Tha Japan, Pahoonch Gaye Cheen” – My Life On A Cruise Ship
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Travelogues (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/)
-   -   “Jana Tha Japan, Pahoonch Gaye Cheen” – My Life On A Cruise Ship (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/89887-jana-tha-japan-pahoonch-gaye-cheen-my-life-cruise-ship-8.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by t18 (Post 2168860)
Deky, what is this bulk head? And can you suggest a time of the year, where we can enjoy a cruise from mumbai without getting caught in rough weather.

Regarding bulkhead/ hull kindly read my post after backseatdrivers post.

I have no idea about sailing out of Mumbai, never done that itinerary. Sorry!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordofgondor (Post 2169074)
Dhiraj bro, from the title PERFECT STORM I was imagining you being in the bridge along with the ship's Captain with tension all around. Was the storm really bad, did at any point you fear for your life?

Man oh man, your memoirs are gonna be quite a thriller I say. :D

Thank you Lord for the kind words. And did I fear my life anytime during the incident? Well no, not during the incident as my mind was preoccupied with lots of other things that this thought never crossed my mind. But yes when I sit down now and think about the storm, it does feel scary now. The storm was really bad. Worst of my almost 6 years sailing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR (Post 2169434)
Deky, is not a "bulkhead" a partition which divides the hull into several water tight compartments which ought to keep a ship afloat?

I was thinking you were referring to the front most part of the ship, but it is rare to find a glass porthole in that area, since even in (comparatively) calm weather, real strong waves will hit that part.

I guess you are using the term in sense of "hull"?

The question by t18 made me look up the real meaning.

Hmmmmm...yeah maybe you are right. It should be hull. But what I understand is that the outer wall is known as hull and the inner walls are called bulkhead. And the iron covering was screwed on the inner wall. Maybe one of the sailors on the forum can clarify.

I was on the restaurant side so I am not aware of the techincalities

Quote:

Originally Posted by shajufx (Post 2169459)
Deky, awesome read, I got hypnotized into your writing just 4 hours back and finished the whole thread in one go !!!! Now I am feeling good that I did not see it at the time of writing, because the suspense was terrible to withstand.

Above quotes are the best parts I felt throughout the reading. Almost whole of first part, I was just thinking if the Tom Hanks movie 'The Terminal' was written from your experience :) I loved watching that movie many years back ! Hoping to see more from you. By the way, my dad-in-law is a retired shippy, I should make him pen down something before he starts forgetting things. Your thread is an inspiration :thumbs up

Thank you, we have a few shippies on this forum too, I hope they also get down to pen some of their memoirs here.