Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2010, 15:22   #1
Senior - BHPian

A backpacking trip to the Singapore F1 2010

Yes, I did a cheap trip to see the F1 and a few cities in SE Asia. Flew budget carriers, stayed in hostels and mainly used public transport. The single most expensive item was the race ticket at 10k Rs.

Here is a teaser pic.
A backpacking trip to the Singapore F1 2010-collage_preview_1024.jpg

The detailed report will follow soon. Have over 15 GBs of pics and videos of the race alone to go through.
Old 7th October 2010, 15:33   #2
BHPian

Wow.

Iam glued, watching an F1 race in live is indeed a great experience.

Keep rolling.
Old 7th October 2010, 15:53   #3
BHPian

Everything you did was really worth to see these fast moving cars with your naked eyes. Share more pictures.
Old 8th October 2010, 11:23   #4
BHPian

Wow can't wait to hear (read) your story! Singapore is quite expensive (as much as Europe) for accommodation so this trip experience should really help a lot of people!

Cheers and look forward to more
Old 8th October 2010, 15:31   #5
Senior - BHPian

The Planning

The time was around March 2010. Me and a couple of friends were discussing traveling plans and how one guy in our office had got return tickets to Malaysia for just 3k in AirAsia. And so this idea of doing a backpacking trip to South East Asia came up. We were thinking of booking air tickets well in advance to get good deals and suddenly I realized that we could club Singapore F1 as well.

The discussions continued for a couple of weeks. My friends not being hardcore F1 fans, were skeptical after seeing the ticket prices. Then we decided that we'd travel to Singapore together but just I would go for the race and they do their own sight seeing (A decision they regret now after hearing the F1 cars from outside the track and seeing the entertainment lineup). After Singapore, we'd backpack to Penang, Langkawi and KL before flying back to Bangalore.

The F1 ticket sales had just begun and I picked up the 3 day Premier Walkabout pass for 10k change after the early-bird discounts. Started searching for flights and there were no flights listed for Sep 23. Either had to go for 22nd or 24th. Settled for the Tiger airways flight leaving 24th which cost us 3.5k from Bangalore to Singapore. The rest of the flights were also booked in quick succession and our total flight cost came to just over 10k . That is for Bangalore-Singapore, Singapore-Penang, Langkawi-KL and KL-Bangalore.

Then next step was sorting out accommodation. Some research led us to Hostelworld.com. Although none of us had prior experience in staying in hostels (expect for a very bad Youth Hostel in Ooty) we decided to try our luck. Decided to book ABC Backpackers hostel at Bugis, Singapore. The major criteria while choosing hostel(s) was location and availability of private rooms. We were carrying expensive camera equipment and didn't want to risk staying in dorms. Unknowingly, the location turned out to be awesome for the fact that there was free shuttle service to the F1 circuit 500m from the hostel. Oh the hostel cost came to Rs.3100 for 2 nights for 3 people. (I'd include pics and a brief review of the hostel) when I get to main report).

With all the bookings done, all that was remaining to do was wait. Come August we applied for visas which was fairly easy and took about a week. Had made a rough itinerary as well (which we never stuck to though).

contd...
Old 9th October 2010, 12:54   #6
BHPian

Sounds good! Look forward to some pictures now
Old 9th October 2010, 13:07   #7
Senior - BHPian

I was wondering when this thread would be up! Nice start, waiting for the full blown report
Old 9th October 2010, 14:06   #8
Senior - BHPian

Jaguar, eagerly awaiting further details.

Please post the pics and the videos quickly
Old 9th October 2010, 22:12   #9
Senior - BHPian

Jaguar, no doubt its a unique thread. Congrats and requesting the clicks!
Old 10th October 2010, 05:45   #10
BHPian

Wow..interesting thread. If you have a log of expenses in a spreadsheet could you please share that?

I don't know much about racing except for two words Michael Schumacher and Ferrari, but will be glued to this thread for the pics. Who is the guy in closeup in your first post?

thanks for sharing.
Old 11th October 2010, 16:05   #11
Senior - BHPian

23 Sep 2010
A day before the scheduled departure, the Ayodhya verdict added to the anxity. We had to think of alternative plans to reach the airport. Thanks to the SC, the verdict was delayed by a week and we were on track.

24 Sep 2010
Reached airport and see that the Tiger Airways counter being manned by Air India staff. Even the boarding pass we got was of Air India (Maybe another way of cost cutting). The AI staff were at their usual best and didn't even know if we could buy food on board. The Tiger aircraft was very old and the legroom was barely enough. The on board food made my office food look delicious. Being a veggie, the only option I had was dal-chaval which was inedible. Not that the non-veg food my friends had were any better. The worst part was water which costs Rs.114 for a 300 ml bottle. I don't think I would fly Tiger again anytime soon.

25 Sep 2010
Landed at Singapore at 6:30 am and after clearing emigration headed to the free shuttle which would take us from the Budget terminal to Changi from where we took the MRT to our hostel @ Bugis. The room was not ready yet, so just dumped our luggage. The main item on the agenda was to collect the F1 ticket and buy a camera backpack for myself. Since it was still too early for both, had a quick breakfast headed out to Sim Lim Square which was walking distance. The stores there were still opening and we didn't find anything interesting. Walked around a bit towards Little India, spent sometime at the Mustafa Center and spotted my namesake.
A backpacking trip to the Singapore F1 2010-img_1839_1024.jpg
A backpacking trip to the Singapore F1 2010-img_1838_1024.jpg

It was time to pick up the tickets and we made our way to the City Hall MRT. This is where one first encounters the F1 spirit. The place was already buzzing with spectators and volunteers heading towards the circuit. Many gates for the Marina Bay circuit are within walking distance from this station and you can actually hear the race from outside. There were enough signs directing towards the Raffles City Convention Center which was the ticket collection center. After the customary photo session with the ticket, moved towards Funan IT mall, from where I was planning to pick up my camera bag and my friend had to search for a new lens. Decided to have lunch there itself before heading back to our hostel. If you are a vegetarian, don't bother going to the food court of Funan. There is absolutely nothing. Thankfully there was a subway at the ground floor, probably the only place in the entire mall offering anything veg. It was already getting late, so rushed back to the hostel to freshen up and head for the race.
A backpacking trip to the Singapore F1 2010-img_1847_1024.jpg
Old 11th October 2010, 16:13   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goingout View Post
Sounds good! Look forward to some pictures now
Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
Jaguar, eagerly awaiting further details.

Please post the pics and the videos quickly
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Jaguar, no doubt its a unique thread. Congrats and requesting the clicks!
Thanks guys. The pics are coming soon. Wait a bit more

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
I was wondering when this thread would be up! Nice start, waiting for the full blown report
I had gone to Malaysia after the race and got back only on 4th. Got busy with some work and also, still haven't fully recovered from a nasty cold which ruined the weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by idlebrain View Post
Wow..interesting thread. If you have a log of expenses in a spreadsheet could you please share that?

I don't know much about racing except for two words Michael Schumacher and Ferrari, but will be glued to this thread for the pics. Who is the guy in closeup in your first post?

thanks for sharing.
I have a log of only the flight and hotel expenses. My friend does have most of the other other expenses noted down on a notepad. Have to enter those in an excel. Will upload the excel once its done, but I guess that will take some time. Photos and videos get more priority now.

The guy in closeup is Jenson Button. This was just after he signed my autograph. Details on the report.
Old 11th October 2010, 18:14   #13
Senior - BHPian

The circuit park opens by 3:30 pm but by the time I took the shuttle from Lavendar MRT near our hostel and reached there, it was nearing 5. A quick check of ID, bag and then myself, I was let in. Finally, I was there, the Marina Bay Street Circuit. I could hear the roar of engines and quickly made my way to the 1st available viewing platform. The Formula BMW Round 1 was getting over.

Walking towards the Grandstands
A backpacking trip to the Singapore F1 2010-img_1869_wm1000.jpg

Fist view of the track. What you see are the free-standing platforms for the Premier Walkabout ticket holders.
A backpacking trip to the Singapore F1 2010-img_1867_wm1000.jpg
A backpacking trip to the Singapore F1 2010-img_1871_wm1000.jpg

Walked a bit more to see the pit lane entry (Turn 23)
A backpacking trip to the Singapore F1 2010-img_1876_wm1000.jpg

Up ahead you could see The Singapore Flyer & The Marina Bay Sands
A backpacking trip to the Singapore F1 2010-img_1877_wm1000.jpg
A backpacking trip to the Singapore F1 2010-img_1879_wm1000.jpg

And the Gate 9 for those who prefer to enter the track using a boat
A backpacking trip to the Singapore F1 2010-img_1881_wm1000.jpg
Old 11th October 2010, 18:23   #14
Senior - BHPian

Awesome pics Jaguar, waiting to see more !
Old 12th October 2010, 03:56   #15
BHPian

Hey great pics and update! I'm a vegetarian too and I can completely relate to what you mean haha!

I have lots of tips for vegetarians which I'll try to share soon.

Keep em coming!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks