Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2010, 12:06   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Robi, I got to know about this travelogue from the No-Auto image thread. Superb photos, especially the little birdy is really funny!

I had a similiar trip with my Fuji prosumer cam clicking here and there. Now I know what a DSLR can really do, now I have my first DSLR with me

BTW your 500mm reach is real boon, most of the shots are on 500mm end or less? Just wanted to know if a 300mm can take me near!
thanks jacs..which DSLR did you get? Regarding the focal length most of my pics are at 500mm barring a few where i used maybe 400 or even 300mm.
It also depends on which 300mm lens you are using whether a zoom like 70-300 or the awesome primes like 300 f4 or even the 300 f2.8. In the prime lenses you can use the 1.4x or even 2x tc(with the 2.8 to get 600mm f5.6) to get more reach.
Old 15th October 2010, 12:19   #17
BHPian

Nice pics. Please post some of the surrounding shots as well if you have taken any. Would like to see how does the place look like.
Old 15th October 2010, 13:25   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by robimahanta View Post
Thanks a lot people. I was using a Canon 500D with the Sigma APO 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG HSM lens. In good light the lens performs nicely and has a good reach but in poor light its a tad slow considering its f6.3 at 500mm(sorry for the tech jagrons..non photographers can just skip this post) But I believe its the most "value for money" telephoto zoom available.
Definitely value for money, but then anything beyond 400mm on this lens is really soft. Only way to go is push the ISO and then go spot metering. If you were to look at primes at this range it definitely will cost an arm and a leg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
BTW your 500mm reach is real boon, most of the shots are on 500mm end or less? Just wanted to know if a 300mm can take me near!
500mm reach isn't a real boon as such, check the pictures clicked by dilip (redrage) from his Palaniappa Estate travelogue. He used the Canon 100-400mm IS lens, some of the best birding shots I have seen here apart from Sreeraj's .

You can click good pictures even with a 70-300mm , provided the lighting is perfect . The images below has been shot with a Nikon 70-300mm lens at about 300mm itself.

Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary and Kabini : Photologue-5030618590_38b7b2bcff_b.jpg

Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary and Kabini : Photologue-5030618598_84186f84ea_b.jpg
Old 16th October 2010, 00:55   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

@pawan: I'll check if I have any but I am not sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Definitely value for money, but then anything beyond 400mm on this lens is really soft. Only way to go is push the ISO and then go spot metering. If you were to look at primes at this range it definitely will cost an arm and a leg.
I know Rj..the sigma is actually usable upto 440mm or so. Beyond that its definitely soft.

Anyway a couple of croc pics from RBS for a change..

Just finished my meal..don't mess with me
Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary and Kabini : Photologue-img_8150.jpg

Still have room for dessert though!
Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary and Kabini : Photologue-img_8154.jpg

Next up..Safari@kabini
Old 17th October 2010, 23:26   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Kabini (Nagarhole National Park)

I always wanted to visit Nagarhole but due to time constraints and unavailability at the Jungle Lodges Resort I kept postponing the trip.

Finally on a weekend, I got the reservations and started off to Kabini from Bangalore at around 7 in the morning. The route to Kabini is through Mysore and most of it is good roads. The route is: Bangalore-Mysore-HD Kote (Antharasanthe)-Karapura Jungle lodges. I reached the JLR,Kabini at around 12pm. After a delicious lunch, I started out on my first safari. The sky was overcast and conditions were not ideal for photography.

Common Flameback Woodpecker (male),Changeable Hawk Eagle,Serpent Eagle were the first catches of the safari..

Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary and Kabini : Photologue-img_1411.jpg

Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary and Kabini : Photologue-img_1412.jpg

Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary and Kabini : Photologue-img_1415.jpg

Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary and Kabini : Photologue-img_1475.jpg

Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary and Kabini : Photologue-img_1482.jpg

Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary and Kabini : Photologue-img_1510.jpg

We were roaming around enjoying the sights and sounds of the jungle when suddenly the driver alerted us that there were lot of alarm calls going on just down the road. We cautiously proceeded around a 100 yards and stopped to scan the surroundings. There amidst the bushes I saw some movement and soon realized that it was a leopard. There was so much commotion with everyone taking out their cameras in the jeep that the leopard saw us, turned its head towards us and then sped away into the bushes on the other side of the road.All this in a matter of few seconds. In all the excitement, I couldn't get a sharp shot. But I have no regrets as it was my first leopard sighting in the wild (a fully grown male) and that too on the ground (as leopard on trees is a far more common sight in Kabini).

Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary and Kabini : Photologue-img_1448.jpg

to be continued..

Last edited by robimahanta : 17th October 2010 at 23:43.
Old 18th October 2010, 10:27   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
thanks jacs..which DSLR did you get? Regarding the focal length most of my pics are at 500mm barring a few where i used maybe 400 or even 300mm.
It also depends on which 300mm lens you are using whether a zoom like 70-300 or the awesome primes like 300 f4 or even the 300 f2.8. In the prime lenses you can use the 1.4x or even 2x tc(with the 2.8 to get 600mm f5.6) to get more reach.
Thanks Robi, it helps. 1000D is what I have with me now, no tele lenses with me now! I am still learning to shoot with DSLR and a 50mm 1.8 prime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post

500mm reach isn't a real boon as such, check the pictures clicked by dilip (redrage) from his Palaniappa Estate travelogue. He used the Canon 100-400mm IS lens, some of the best birding shots I have seen here apart from Sreeraj's .

You can click good pictures even with a 70-300mm , provided the lighting is perfect . The images below has been shot with a Nikon 70-300mm lens at about 300mm itself.
Thanks Raj, it helps since I am yet to decide on what tele lens to pick up.
Old 18th October 2010, 22:44   #22
BHPian

great sighting of the Leopard and amazing pictures of the CHE
Old 19th October 2010, 08:29   #23
Senior - BHPian

[quote=robimahanta;2108681 I couldn't get a sharp shot. But I have no regrets as it was my first leopard sighting in the wild[/quote]
Robimahanta,
Thats a beauty!
Loved the leopard's look, wary and ready to disappear within seconds.

The motion blur on the spots actually adds to the action. Definitely his appearance must have been for not more than 3-4 seconds, and you did a remarkable job on composition.
Enjoying it.
Regards,
Old 19th October 2010, 09:49   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Kraft, Fazal

Day 2: Morning Safari

We started the safari at around 630 am and were trodding along the backbreaking tracks inside the Nagarhole NP looking for the elusive cats. We came across numerous serpent eagles, jungle fowl and deer. We did manage to see an elephant in good early morning light.
After around 2hrs into the safari we came across a pack of "Dholes" or "Wild dogs", 6 of them to be precise.We spent around 20 minutes watching their antics and interaction from a distance and then moved in close to get some close up shots. They were right next to our jeep cuddling and playing.

Some pictures from Day 2:

Deer
Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary and Kabini : Photologue-img_1465.jpg

Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary and Kabini : Photologue-img_1457.jpg

Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary and Kabini : Photologue-img_2085.jpg

Wild Dogs

Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary and Kabini : Photologue-img_1545.jpg

Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary and Kabini : Photologue-img_1569.jpg

Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary and Kabini : Photologue-img_1596.jpg

Elephant against morning light

Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary and Kabini : Photologue-img_2053.jpg

Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary and Kabini : Photologue-img_2058.jpg

Wish I had a wide angle with me..first rays of light through the canopy

Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary and Kabini : Photologue-img_2065.jpg
Old 20th October 2010, 12:52   #25
BHPian

Thank you for putting together the travelogue, especially the comments. Nicely written. Hope you would continue adding more places?

Quote:
Looks like a birdie Einstein in the making
Old 20th October 2010, 15:43   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks WhiteKnight

Day 2: Afternoon Safari

After two jeep safaris we decided to try out the boat safari. We boarded the boat at around 330pm and the peaceful safari across the Kabini river continued till around 6pm. It was a welcome change from the bone jarring jeep safaris. Some pictures from the boat safari..

Just when I was about to board the boat I saw this painted stork in the distance..just fired off a couple of shots and got lucky with the fish in its mouth

Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary and Kabini : Photologue-img_2077.jpg

And off we went

Name:  IMG_1766.jpg
Views: 1827
Size:  203.7 KB

A tusker on the banks of the river

Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary and Kabini : Photologue-img_1737.jpg

Barn Swallow

Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary and Kabini : Photologue-img_1843.jpg

Looking for a place to perch

Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary and Kabini : Photologue-img_1860.jpg

Hornbill in flight

Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary and Kabini : Photologue-img_1877.jpg

Wood Ash Swallow

Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary and Kabini : Photologue-img_1925.jpg

Grey Heron

Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary and Kabini : Photologue-img_1784.jpg

The darter

Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary and Kabini : Photologue-img_1900.jpg

It jumped into the water

Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary and Kabini : Photologue-img_1973.jpg
Old 20th October 2010, 18:17   #27
Senior - BHPian

robin some real good captures there,but then with that bazooka you gotto play around my friend.Use the right metering , ISO and wait for the perfect lighting. I see that you have already put up the bazooka on sale , how come ?
Old 20th October 2010, 19:53   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks RJ, I am planning an upgrade hence the BigmOS/Bazooka is up for sale. Moreover a friend of mine has the Bazooka as well and we often share lenses.

The Sigma 150-500 is pretty decent for static birding shots but for BIF its a bit slow though I did manage to get some decent BIF shots as well in Kabini. If you have the patience to tinker with the settings you can get good 500mm shots with this lens.
Old 20th October 2010, 21:15   #29
BHPian

Very nice. Looks like you had a fulfilling trip to Kabini. The Wild dogs pic takes the cake.
Old 21st October 2010, 05:14   #30
BHPian

The pictures steal the show. Planning to pick up a DSLR soon and these pictures are really inspiring. Lucky to have captured leopard.

Last edited by chethan.ram : 21st October 2010 at 05:20.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks