Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2010, 07:01   #16
BHPian

Buddy, your travelogue brought back the old memories when a group of our 5 friends planned on new years eve and set to travel to goa from our home town which is almost 1000 kms away one way in a scorpio
Goa is the place to unwind and relax
keep up the good writing buddy....cheers

Last edited by benzbala : 16th October 2010 at 07:04. Reason: typo error
Old 16th October 2010, 07:24   #17
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Great narration suhaas. Keep up the good work. I'm also planning a holiday to Goa during December and this thread will be really helpful. I'm hooked on !!

That black Accord is a stealth looker. If Goa is India'a Florida, then that oomphed Accord does look from Vegas. As simple as that.
Old 16th October 2010, 08:08   #18
Team-BHP Support

Excellent coverage here. We're planning to make the same trip soon. Your thread is pretty helpful here. Also like the way you're posting images.
Old 16th October 2010, 12:09   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Awesome, this travelogue is more like a foodie's guide and I';m loving it. Thanks a ton for these pointers for the restaurants. Will surely try them out next time I go to Goa.
And nice pics of the road, loved them.
Thank you Kaushik! There is still quite a lot left to post, so you better be subscribed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
Some really nice snaps there, Suhaas! The narration is great too

I really like the looks of that Accord - something very 'mafia' (for lack of better word) about it's looks in black with those rims!

PS: Never knew Sachin was so much of a foodie...!
Thank you anekho!

That Accord is quite a treat indeed! If you think it looks good in pictures, then you should have seen it in the flesh! It really stood out among the 'lesser' cars around it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzbala View Post
Buddy, your travelogue brought back the old memories when a group of our 5 friends planned on new years eve and set to travel to goa from our home town which is almost 1000 kms away one way in a scorpio
Goa is the place to unwind and relax
keep up the good writing buddy....cheers
Thank you benzbala!

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
Great narration suhaas. Keep up the good work. I'm also planning a holiday to Goa during December and this thread will be really helpful. I'm hooked on !!

That black Accord is a stealth looker. If Goa is India'a Florida, then that oomphed Accord does look from Vegas. As simple as that.
Thank you //M!

Do make notes and try different places and share your experiences with us after your holiday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Excellent coverage here. We're planning to make the same trip soon. Your thread is pretty helpful here. Also like the way you're posting images.
Thank you Rudraji!

I'm glad that my thread is of help, not only to you, but also to others on the forum! Keep following it though, there is more on the way!
Old 16th October 2010, 13:14   #20
Team-BHP Support

Day 5

On Saturday (Day-1), the four of us were seated at the dining table in our resort-villa. A large map was spread across the table and I was making a few notes while my dad was with his calculator, crunching numbers and giving us the FE that we'd gotten so far. On this day, we'd decided that we would visit our Temple in Aversa on Wednesday, the 5th day of our holiday, (6th October, 2010).

After a light breakfast (at home) on day 5, we left the resort at 9:30 am and our aim was to reach the Temple at roughly 11:00 am - 11:30 am. And we were bang on target! We made it just in time for the Aarti and we were happy that we didn't miss it!

After the Aarti, we walked around the Temple premises and soaked in the fantastic atmosphere and positive energy that the Math radiated. We donated our Temple lunch coupons to the paupers outside the Temple as we had other plans for lunch!

Although, at this point, I'd like to add that the food at the temple is brilliant! We've had the lunch at the Temple during our previous visits and it is simple and superb! A nice wholesome spread that ensured droopy eyes after a good helping!

White sand, seafood and a few curves thrown in.. Bangalore - Goa - Bangalore!-dscn3520.jpg

White sand, seafood and a few curves thrown in.. Bangalore - Goa - Bangalore!-dscn3524.jpg

White sand, seafood and a few curves thrown in.. Bangalore - Goa - Bangalore!-dscn3528.jpg

White sand, seafood and a few curves thrown in.. Bangalore - Goa - Bangalore!-dscn3532.jpg

We spotted this policeman riding a bicycle in Karwar. 10 meters ahead and there was another policeman riding a cycle!

Pit Stop:

But the reason why we decided to give the Temple lunch a miss is easily justified! We were recommended a place called 'Amrut' by one of our relatives. It is located inside the coastal town of Karwar (it's very easy to find, don't worry) and their speciality is, well.. you guessed it! Seafood! We jumped at the prospect and at 2:00 pm, we were seated in the incredibly sultry 1st floor of the restaurant.

White sand, seafood and a few curves thrown in.. Bangalore - Goa - Bangalore!-dscn3534.jpg

White sand, seafood and a few curves thrown in.. Bangalore - Goa - Bangalore!-dscn3535.jpg

The restaurant was divided into different sections. There were separate rooms for families and others. Frankly, the ambiance wasn't something one would rave about. Adding to that, it was very very hot, since the power was down in the area and the AC wasn't working. And all the wall-mounted fan was doing was blowing hot air onto your face!

But once the food arrived, we didn't care!

Our order: one plate of Kane-fish curry rice, one plate of Mackerel-curry rice and one Pompfret-curry rice, 2 plates of king-fish fry and one malai-kofta with one butter Naan (for my sister who isn't a fan of seafood). Not to mention fresh-lime sodas for all of us!

The ambiance wasn't great and the service was okay-good. But the food.. it was absolutely out of this world! Particularly the Pompfret-curry rice and the King-fish fry! Exquisite and completely worth it! Our bill came up to Rs. 850 and we felt that it was pretty reasonable, if not value for money! If you plan on going to Karwar or probably passing-by, I recommend this place wholeheartedly! Do not miss it!

At around 3:15, we left Karwar and this time, I had the opportunity to take a couple of pictures of the beautiful landscape and roads inside Goa. The stretch between Candolim and Margao in particular, was fabulous. Fantastic flora and great tarmac! Apart from a few pot-holes, it was a breeze!

White sand, seafood and a few curves thrown in.. Bangalore - Goa - Bangalore!-dscn3539.jpg

White sand, seafood and a few curves thrown in.. Bangalore - Goa - Bangalore!-dscn3542.jpg

White sand, seafood and a few curves thrown in.. Bangalore - Goa - Bangalore!-dscn3543.jpg

White sand, seafood and a few curves thrown in.. Bangalore - Goa - Bangalore!-dscn3545.jpg

White sand, seafood and a few curves thrown in.. Bangalore - Goa - Bangalore!-dscn3546.jpg

White sand, seafood and a few curves thrown in.. Bangalore - Goa - Bangalore!-dscn3547.jpg

White sand, seafood and a few curves thrown in.. Bangalore - Goa - Bangalore!-dscn3548.jpg

White sand, seafood and a few curves thrown in.. Bangalore - Goa - Bangalore!-dscn3549.jpg

White sand, seafood and a few curves thrown in.. Bangalore - Goa - Bangalore!-dscn3550.jpg

White sand, seafood and a few curves thrown in.. Bangalore - Goa - Bangalore!-dscn3551.jpg

White sand, seafood and a few curves thrown in.. Bangalore - Goa - Bangalore!-dscn3552.jpg

We reached our resort at around 4:30 after making a few stops at a grocery store in Benaulim and a vegetable/fruit vendor at Margao. The rest of the day was spent in our villa, with a cold orange-juice, a few cigarettes and some good music!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 16th October 2010 at 13:31.
Old 16th October 2010, 15:18   #21
Team-BHP Support

Flashback Part-2

Let me take you 4 years back in time, and share a few photos that I'd compiled yesterday. I was 17 back then and wasn't allowed to drive and despite that, I had a blast! Our Ikon 1.6 was scratched, dented and old, but she was strong enough to do 1500 km of tarmac and terrain! A month later, we sold her and took delivery of our then brand-new Honda Civic S!

NOTE: Unfortunately, I hadn't noted down anything about that trip and hence, don't have full information of our visits to different churches and heritage-sites in South Goa.

Here are some pictures that I'd taken on the same camera that I'd used this year as well!

White sand, seafood and a few curves thrown in.. Bangalore - Goa - Bangalore!-1.jpg

White sand, seafood and a few curves thrown in.. Bangalore - Goa - Bangalore!-2.jpg

White sand, seafood and a few curves thrown in.. Bangalore - Goa - Bangalore!-3.jpg

White sand, seafood and a few curves thrown in.. Bangalore - Goa - Bangalore!-4.jpg

White sand, seafood and a few curves thrown in.. Bangalore - Goa - Bangalore!-5.jpg

White sand, seafood and a few curves thrown in.. Bangalore - Goa - Bangalore!-6.jpg

White sand, seafood and a few curves thrown in.. Bangalore - Goa - Bangalore!-7.jpg

White sand, seafood and a few curves thrown in.. Bangalore - Goa - Bangalore!-8.jpg

We had visited this place in Cavelossim-Salcete, South Goa called Fisherman's Wharf.

White sand, seafood and a few curves thrown in.. Bangalore - Goa - Bangalore!-9.jpg

I don't remember what we'd ordered, but whatever it was, it was delicious! Seafood is the obvious choice here! And it's not just the food that makes this place special. It's the complete dining experience and ambiance that it offers and is quite unbeatable! We were seated at the deck of the restaurant that overlooks the river Sal; yes, it's a riverside restaurant, and a gorgeous one at that! An evening at this place will leave you completely awestruck! the beautiful lights and the smooth live Jazz music in the background will definitely lift anyone's spirit!

White sand, seafood and a few curves thrown in.. Bangalore - Goa - Bangalore!-10.jpg

Highly recommended!
Old 16th October 2010, 15:37   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Flashback Part-2

I don't remember what we'd ordered, but whatever it was, it was delicious! Seafood is the obvious choice here! And it's not just the food that makes this place special. It's the complete dining experience and ambiance that it offers and is quite unbeatable! We were seated at the deck of the restaurant that overlooks the river Sal; yes, it's a riverside restaurant, and a gorgeous one at that! An evening at this place will leave you completely awestruck! the beautiful lights and the smooth live Jazz music in the background will definitely lift anyone's spirit!

Attachment 439588

Highly recommended!
Dude, share the Restaurant name along with directions.
Old 16th October 2010, 15:39   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Flashback Part-2

We had visited this place in Cavelossim-Salcete, South Goa called Fisherman's Wharf.

Attachment 439587

Attachment 439588

Highly recommended!
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbeast View Post
Dude, share the Restaurant name along with directions.
Blackbeast,

I have mentioned the name and the location of the restaurant right above the picture! I'm sorry if it didn't seem clear enough, I shall edit it and make it more clear.

EDIT: Too late! 20 minutes too late! Mods, could you help me edit my previous post?

Last edited by suhaas307 : 16th October 2010 at 15:41.
Old 16th October 2010, 21:34   #24
Team-BHP Support

Day 6

Honestly, day 6 isn't even worth mentioning! We did absolutely nothing on the 7th of October. While I engaged myself in some light activity i.e. ping-pong, badminton, and wait for it.. Monopoly! Yes we played a round of Monopoly! Goa purists might butcher me for this, but it's nice to relax, unwind and do nothing on one day, especially if your holiday is spread out across a week!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh and I'd almost forgotten to mention. Music that kept us entertained through the drive and while driving within the State: (It's an integral part of any drive!):

- Pink Floyd
- Led Zeppelin
- The Doors
- The Beatles
- Dire Straits
- Eagles
- Genesis
- Guns 'n' Roses
- Sting & The Police
- Bob Dylan
- Bruce Springsteen
- Buckethead

The climb up the ghats were dramatized by some great tunes like Stairway To Heaven and Riders On The Storm!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 16th October 2010 at 21:39.
Old 16th October 2010, 23:04   #25
Senior - BHPian

Nicely written suhaas,lovely photographs too! That subtly done up Accord looks fantastic,so does Goa! Even I'm contemplating a Pune-Goa road-trip soon.Lets see!
Old 16th October 2010, 23:16   #26
Team-BHP Support

While I was reading, I was wondering what were you listening in the car? Did other guys allow the "dent of a metal" !

But looks you have a metallic family!

Great drive.
Old 17th October 2010, 10:47   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyAn! View Post
Nicely written suhaas,lovely photographs too! That subtly done up Accord looks fantastic,so does Goa! Even I'm contemplating a Pune-Goa road-trip soon.Lets see!
Thank you, Ayan! Will be looking forward to reading your travelogue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
While I was reading, I was wondering what were you listening in the car? Did other guys allow the "dent of a metal" !

But looks you have a metallic family!

Great drive.
Ampere, I was waiting for your post on this thread!

While my father doesn't mind The Beatles, Dire Straits, Pink Floyd, Sting & the Police and the Eagles, he loathes The Doors! Not everyone is a fan of Morrison's powerful voice! We did play a few other CDs that had no rock in them whatsoever, and although it was alright, I cannot go on a long drive without The Doors in the stereo!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As I'd mentioned earlier in the thread, we'd decided to give the regular hot-spots a miss this time round. Goa is a wonderful place when several gems hidden away and if one keeps visiting the regular places, you will not have the opportunity to check out these gems! However, for those who haven't frequented Goa, I've listed a few good restaurants below, that are quite famous in Goa (apart from the few that I've already mentioned).

Place: Britto's Bar & Restaurant
Review: A great place to chill out and enjoy a meal (breakfast, lunch and dinner). Great ambiance, good service and legendary food! Any Goan specialty on the menu is worth ordering. The quality, off-late, has come down though and if it isn't your first time there, I suggest you try a different place.
The Bill: Rs. 2000 + for four.
VFM: Nope, not anymore. Prices have gone up and the quality has slipped.

Place: Souza Lobo Bar & Restaurant
Review: Souza Lobo provides you with a fabulous dining experience coupled with great seafood and quick service. Again, any authentic Goan dish would be the thing to order. A quaint little shack off the happening Calangute beach that has come a long way. However, just like Britto's, the standards have dropped and many claim that it doesn't live up to its hype.
The Bill: Rs 2500 + for four.
VFM: See Britto's..

Place: Mum's Kitchen
Review: A gem of a place located in Paniji and very popular among the locals. It's not surprising that the seafood is the automatic choice, but do try the chicken dishes as well. The Portuguese Chicken served with cheese and bread-crumbs in particular, was exquisite! Service is above average and the ambiance is nice.
The Bill: Rs. 2000 - Rs. 3000 for four.
VFM: Totally!

Place: Mike's Place
Review: Mike's Place offers it's customers a wide range including accommodation, a beach cafe, a restaurant and a lounge bar and hence, caters to a much larger crowd. You will find people from all walks of life having a great time here. The food is good and the service is above average. It's worth a try, at least once!
The Bill: Rs. 1500 - Rs. 3000 for four.
VFM: Just about!

Do check out Goa's incredible night-life as well. There are some great places to go to. Tito's, Lounge Fly, Bamboo Forest, Paradisio, Hill-Top and Paraiso de Anjuna are a some places worth visiting!
Old 17th October 2010, 12:52   #28
BHPian

Quote:

NOTE: As I'd mentioned earlier in the thread, we'd decided to give the regular hot-spots a miss this time round. Goa is a wonderful place when several gems hidden away.

Place: Britto's Bar & Restaurant
I like the idea. Wondering If you have missed out arambol. Many Bangaloreans dont bother to get there coz its northest point.

+1 for Brittos. . This place is bang on Baga beach at the end of the road. Very old, popular and crowded. Avoid getting these on very peak season.Lot of traffic.

Another place i would suggest if you are passing by Panaji is Vinanti. It is located on MG road and very close to the bus stand and the mandovi bridge. Goan food at its best. real VFM

Quote:
Blackbeast,

I have mentioned the name and the location of the restaurant right above the picture! I'm sorry if it didn't seem clear enough, I shall edit it and make it more clear.

EDIT: Too late! 20 minutes too late! Mods, could you help me edit my previous post?
I'm sorry. My judgement was very fast. It was indeed clear. I will try it out on my next visit.

Last edited by blackbeast : 17th October 2010 at 12:53.
Old 17th October 2010, 12:56   #29
Team-BHP Support

Day 7

On the morning of the 8th of October, we were greeted by gloomy and overcast sky. The Sun seemed to have retired behind the dark, dense clouds and it threatened to rain heavily, or so we thought. And once we were ready with our plans for the day, camera-battery charged et al, the Sun came out of hiding and gave us brightness; and this isn't always a good thing. And soon enough, you will see why!

Mapusa Market:

White sand, seafood and a few curves thrown in.. Bangalore - Goa - Bangalore!-dscn3556.jpg

White sand, seafood and a few curves thrown in.. Bangalore - Goa - Bangalore!-dscn3557.jpg

Our plan today was to visit the famed Mapusa market. A place that offers the perfect 'market-feel' and provides you with everything under the Sun (without charging you the Moon).. and a hot one at that! You get the freshest fish and poultry, this side of North Goa! And it's not just that! The variety of spices, pickles, vegetables/fruits and other condiments is unmatched! Apart from that, you get trinkets, souvenirs, different types of cloth and clothing, street-food, etc.

Be warned though. It can get bloody hot after 12 pm and it isn't exactly the cleanest market in the World. Be careful with your belongings here as they can get nicked in no time!

Pit Stop:

White sand, seafood and a few curves thrown in.. Bangalore - Goa - Bangalore!-dscn3558.jpg

(Spot our sneaky little Civic! )

Place: O Coqueiro
Review: One of the most legendary restaurants Goa has ever produced over the years. From being a small and quaint little restaurant a few decades back, it has become a landmark of sorts for everyone in Goa. The food is something I just cannot explain. It's that good! The ambiance is fantastic and the service is top-class without doubt! It's one of our 'must-visits' every time we go to Goa. This time, we ordered: Crab-stuffed papad, one serving of king-fish curry rice and some starters. They have even introduced 'Thalis' which gives you everything you need in one plate! Vegetables, fish fry, rice, dal and a cold-drink!
Must Trys: Chicken Cafreal, Fish Curry Rice, the new 'Thali' and all the desserts!
The Bill: Rs. 1500 - Rs 3000 for four.
VFM: Absolutely!

White sand, seafood and a few curves thrown in.. Bangalore - Goa - Bangalore!-dscn0649.jpg

This picture was taken during our '06 Goa holiday and we found this interesting marble replica of Charles Sobhraj. The fugitive was apparently caught and arrested by the Goa-police at O Coqueiro while he was enjoying a good meal, and he insisted that he finish it before being taken away! There is so much history and herritage attached to this restaurant! I highly recommend it!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 17th October 2010 at 12:59.
Old 17th October 2010, 13:03   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Day 7

Place: O Coqueiro

Must Trys: Chicken Cafreal, Fish Curry Rice, the new 'Thali' and all the desserts!
The Bill: Rs. 1500 - Rs 3000 for four.
VFM: Absolutely!
I have always assumed that Coqueiro would be horribly over priced. however if 4 people could eat in Rs. 2000 it seems to be reasoable. Do you remember how much the set meals cost ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks