Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2014, 17:00   #181
BHPian

Re: Rentals and me - driving in US

Hello all,
I will be travelling to the US in a couple of months. I will be staying in the Detroit area. This thread has answered almost everything I need to know about car rentals.

"However" I would love to rent a motorcycle and do some solo road trips in the summertime. I am not able to find much info regarding the nuances of motorcycle rentals in the US. Any one with any experience having done it?
Old 6th March 2014, 05:06   #182
BHPian

I have been looking out for some of the possible motorcycle rentals and here is what I came across:

http://www.eaglerider.com/?gclid=CMq...FQsSMwodtGQA5g.

In addition, I also know that Harley offers rentals.

Hope that helps.
bhardwhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2014, 19:56   #183
BHPian

Thanks. Everytime I search for motorcycle rental, I keep coming across Eaglerider. Their motorcycle tour programmes are very interesting!
Also I would love to rent a Triumph Bonneville.. I am not able to find any place other than Chicago where I can rent a Triumph! No other places nearby Detroit?

Have you rented a bike before? Would love to know your experience If you have done it.
Old 9th March 2014, 14:53   #184
BHPian

I have not gone in for any rental here so far. Regrets!
Old 10th March 2014, 14:18   #185
BHPian

Last January, i had an opportunity to visit my client in Miami (FL) and the trip was for 4 weeks. The 1st weekend, i did what I always wanted to do - Drive a Ford Mustang.

Thanks to the forum & this thread in particular. It was an awesome driving experience.

I rented a Mustang V6 from Alamo and got a fairly good deal. This was on Saturday morning and the rest of the time during the weekend was well spent driving through Miami Downtown, Ocean Drive and Turnpike. Couldn't make it to Key West, due to paucity of time. But, there's always a next time.

Anyways, here are a few pics of the beauty.
Attached Thumbnails
Rentals and me - driving in US-dscn3524.jpg  

Rentals and me - driving in US-dscn3526.jpg  

Rentals and me - driving in US-dscn3528.jpg  

Rentals and me - driving in US-dscn3529.jpg  

Rentals and me - driving in US-dscn3530.jpg  

Rentals and me - driving in US-dscn3531.jpg  

Rentals and me - driving in US-dscn3532.jpg  

Rentals and me - driving in US-dscn3536.jpg  

Rentals and me - driving in US-dscn3541.jpg  

Rentals and me - driving in US-dscn3544.jpg  

Thumping Soul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2015, 18:36   #186
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
Adding to my 2 cents
1. Be careful and yield while taking left turn if there is no green arrow.
7. Finally simply know all the rules and follow the rules
Back from USA after a short trip. Got a chance to drive in Chicago.

I felt comfortable from the start (I am a defensive driver here) and able to merge into an Interstate Highway easily within 10 minutes.

I goofed up once while taking a left turn in the absence of a signal. In India left turn is natural and we see the right side before accelerating. I tried to intercept (cross the first two lanes before turning left) just by seeing the right side, but suddenly my inner mind told to stop. Looked in front to see cars racing from left to right.

An important lesson learnt in few seconds and I was careful after that.
Old 24th July 2015, 13:59   #187
Senior - BHPian

Hello Guys,

I am travelling to Florida for a week next week and have booked a car from Hertz for the same time. I however have a question. I already have LDW however was inquiring if I need to have LIS (Liability Insurance Supplement) which covers for claims against me incase I injure or damage third party property ? Is LIS valid for aliens ?

I have rented in the US before however never bothered to pay for LIS. However was wondering if i should.
Old 24th July 2015, 22:50   #188

I was in Florida recently and the salesperson at DollarRentACar 'strongly recommended' that I buy liability insurance saying it is a mandatory requirement in FL and if stopped by a cop for any violation, it can result in a jail term ;-)

Collision damage is typically covered by US issued credit cards. if you are making an official trip, please check with your company if they have a deal with any of the rental providers. I know companies like Infosys, Wipro have tie-ups that cover collision damage AND liability insurance. Only catch - they may refuse to pay if an incident happens on a travel not related to work.

I found https://www.insuremyrentalcar.com/#0 to be a good alternative though I did not have to use it. Sales persons at the car rental counter try to seed doubts in your mind about the insurance coverage - please call the insurance provider (e.g. your credit card company or insuremyrentalcar) and hand over the phone to the car rental sales person !
knsivakumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2015, 00:40   #189
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by knsivakumar View Post
I was in Florida recently and the salesperson at DollarRentACar 'strongly recommended' that I buy liability insurance saying it is a mandatory requirement in FL and if stopped by a cop for any violation, it can result in a jail term ;-)

I found https://www.insuremyrentalcar.com/#0 to be a good alternative though I did not have to use it. Sales persons at the car rental counter try to seed doubts in your mind about the insurance coverage - please call the insurance provider (e.g. your credit card company or insuremyrentalcar) and hand over the phone to the car rental sales person !
Just be aware that credit cards usually provide secondary coverage. Meaning you should have some kind of primary auto insurance.

If you don't have any car insurance in the US, then it's always best to accept the Liability Insurance & the waiver CDW/LDW.

Liability protects you if you're sued in case of an accident. CDW/LDW absolves you of the responsiblity to pay for any damage to the car.
Old 3rd September 2015, 01:48   #190

Details on what a VISA card covers are given at www.visa.com/rewards.
An important point: Within one's own country, rental should not exceed 15 consecutive days. Outside the country, limit is 31 days.
VISA specifically asks that we waive off any other protection (meaning what we can buy from the rental company) for Collision Damage.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks