Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2010, 08:35   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
I do not remember (may be 65 mph)!
I was encountering cars from other direction at the rate of 1 car car every 10-12 minutes - so you can guess how desolate the road was.
are you sure you did not get arrested? 25+ posted limit is arrest zone..forget ticket.
Old 28th October 2010, 09:15   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
are you sure you did not get arrested? 25+ posted limit is arrest zone..forget ticket.
Know that man - in retrospect I think I should not have done that.
Throughout that leg, I drove minimum 80-85, and went up 3-4 times to brief stretches of 110-115 for a minute or so.
Now a days I barely drive above the speed limit. +5 to +10 max.
Old 29th October 2010, 17:53   #63
BHPian

Thanks blackasta for this thread!
Sometime back I rented a Hyundai Sonata (2009) for a drive from Philly to Niagara. The longest continuous drive in a day I had so far - Niagara to Philly (~ 400 miles), through some amazing country side roads. I made a point that I will not pay a single toll, meaning wanted to completely try the country side google maps route. It was an amazing route and thanks to the Sonata for a nice drive.
At various other occasions, rented a new Corolla, brand new Civic (in 2009), Cobalt etc.
I avidly remember this special occasion. I wanted to buy a MacbookPro, a suggested Delaware shopping mall, since no tax. That was one reason for me to rent a car and drive down from Philly to Delaware and drive back all the way to Edison, NJ (to see some friends). The 108 dollars I saved on tax on the MacbookPro were usefully spent for the 2 day rental of new Corolla and a good reason for me to drive around.

In the Civic drove down from Philly to DC to Virginia beach and back to Philly, then to Harrisburg and further to a friend's farm house near a small village deep inside a jungle (80 miles from Harrisburg). On the way back I again made a point to avoid speedways but to choose country side roads. Amazing curvy roads with 50 MPH speed limit. What more can I ask for.

I always wanted to rent the Pontiac G8, but realized just now that it is taken out of production due to GM's Pontiac strategy. Will try sometime in my next visit, may be in Chevy's form.

Btw, I used my IDP to get the car.
Old 29th October 2010, 19:49   #64
Senior - BHPian

I drive a dodge caravan this week from enterprise, and did a light braking while trying to change lanes, and thought I had completely lost the control for a second. it was swerving (just the body) like it had no backbone.

and then it had audio control (presumably) at the back of the steering wheel. perfect spot for placing the fingers but I had no idea which button meant what. there were no directions on the front of the wheel AFAIK.
Old 29th October 2010, 21:00   #65
Senior - BHPian

Some of the rentals driven by me. It pays to be an Avis Preferred
The Hummer was rented by 4 of us for 15 days and each of us claimed it under our project before getting separate cars later. This biggie goes to town for 180 bucks a day.
It is a hyped car though. It requires no road for pleasure. One would be wasting time driving it on tarmac.

The Mafia Car (Cadillac CTS) is pure luxury. It has Bose as its car audio.

The Jeep Liberty is a pathetic Vehicle and a fuel guzzler at the same time. It is tremendous body roll. Returns 16 mpg, albeit nothing as compared to the Humvee.

The Ford Tauras is a pleasure to drive, but it is a little tight to be driven. Lacks linear acceleration, unlike the Sonata. Good luxuries too. Seat Temperature control and all way around seat adjustments are kinda cool. The sun roof is a big plus.

The Sonata is surprisingly nice to drive and returns 35 mpg on the freeways. Good acceleration, handling and interiors. Its is cheap to own as well. Starts from 19K$.

I am currently on the Mustang and will be changing today. Its a fast car with amazing fuel guzzling abilities. No wonder Indians settled here drive Hondas and Toyotas.

I also drove the Lincoln MKS and the Nissan Versa but got no pictures of it as they were rented out by colleagues.

Out of all these, the Tauras, Sonata and the Caddi were very fullfilling.

Sorry for the picture quality though, they were taken casually.
Attached Thumbnails
Rentals and me - driving in US-copy-dscn1451-large.jpg  

Rentals and me - driving in US-copy-dscn1460-large.jpg  

Rentals and me - driving in US-copy-img_0253-large.jpg  

Rentals and me - driving in US-copy-img_0255-large.jpg  

Rentals and me - driving in US-copy-img_0263-large.jpg  

Rentals and me - driving in US-copy-img_0265-large.jpg  

Rentals and me - driving in US-img_0491-large.jpg  

Rentals and me - driving in US-img_0495-large.jpg  

Rentals and me - driving in US-img_0602-large.jpg  

Rentals and me - driving in US-img_0607-large.jpg  

Last edited by prince_pervez : 29th October 2010 at 21:03.
prince_pervez is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2010, 21:01   #66
Senior - BHPian

Other remaining pictures uploaded.
Next on the list would be the Mitsu evo 10, The Caddi Escalade and the Camero, all 3 discontinued by Avis currently. Hertz has the Beetle and the Escalade.
Attached Thumbnails
Rentals and me - driving in US-imgp0538-large.jpg  

Rentals and me - driving in US-img_0622-large.jpg  

Rentals and me - driving in US-img_0621-large.jpg  

Last edited by prince_pervez : 29th October 2010 at 21:07.
prince_pervez is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2010, 21:23   #67
Senior - BHPian

^^^^^

I once drove a rental taurus for a day (as a replacement after totalling the corolla). The handling felt very nice to me. Also had driven the sonata in 2007 (for 15 minutes - I was a newbie in US and was learning to drive) - very comfortable and spacious.

Last edited by blackasta : 29th October 2010 at 21:25.
Old 29th October 2010, 22:12   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
I am currently on the Mustang and will be changing today. Its a fast car with amazing fuel guzzling abilities. No wonder Indians settled here drive Hondas and Toyotas.
Which model was it. The new ones give out around 25+mpg whilst my V6 baby gives 17-18 in city and 21-22 on Highways
Well cant really talk of Fuel economy with a Mustang right
Old 29th October 2010, 22:55   #69
Senior - BHPian

^^ The one in the Pic. The white one. I think it is a 2011. Tell me which rental is giving away the Mitsu Evo 10.
Old 29th October 2010, 23:14   #70
BHPian

Quote:
not true..the Altima and the Corolla were both rentals from Birmingham,AL airport
I said one is "more likely" to receive US branded car at airport but never said it was "unlikely" to receive non-US branded car.

Old 29th October 2010, 23:15   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
^^ The one in the Pic. The white one. I think it is a 2011. Tell me which rental is giving away the Mitsu Evo 10.
There are a few rentals around Hollywood which has many exotics from Porsches to Ferraris to Lambo to Bentleys with rental starting from whooping $1500 and upwards

Not sure if they rent out Evo though
Old 30th October 2010, 03:55   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
There are a few rentals around Hollywood which has many exotics from Porsches to Ferraris to Lambo to Bentleys with rental starting from whooping $1500 and upwards

Not sure if they rent out Evo though
$1900 for a F430/Gallardo/Aston martin DB9 in Miami.
I enquired.
Old 30th October 2010, 04:26   #73
Senior - BHPian

Best rental I've driven is a Mazda6 V6. Beats even the V6 Mustang. Razor sharp steering and powerful engine.

Another notable one was the Suzuki XL-7 SUV. Loved the GM 3.6V6. Pulled like a rocket with 7 people on board.

Last edited by Mpower : 30th October 2010 at 04:44.
Old 30th October 2010, 04:32   #74
BHPian

Quote:
$1900 for a F430/Gallardo/Aston martin DB9 in Miami.
I enquired.
There is a sale in one of the rental agency in Hollywood.. $995 for Gallardo with a 100mile limit
Old 30th October 2010, 08:33   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Best rental I've driven is a Mazda6 V6. Beats even the V6 Mustang. Razor sharp steering and powerful engine.

Another notable one was the Suzuki XL-7 SUV. Loved the GM 3.6V6. Pulled like a rocket with 7 people on board.
One of my friends own a Mazda 6 V6. With the triptronic box, it is great to drive.
BTW - this weekend I was upgraded to a smaller car - The volkswagen new Beetle! With its 2.0 l engine and 16 inch wheels, this car is quick between signals and handles great.
Plan to visit Grandfather mountains tomorrow. Pictures and trip description shall be updated here by sunday/monday.

Last edited by blackasta : 30th October 2010 at 08:39.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks