Team-BHP - Bangalore - Shivanasamudram
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Travelogues (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/)
-   -   Bangalore - Shivanasamudram (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/90883-bangalore-shivanasamudram.html)

Hi,

I have read quite some articles on the same route but since I have gone just 2 days ago, there is quite a difference in the road conditions so thought would post a new thread.

We started from BTM stage 1 at 7.30am. Now, accordingly to Google maps, there are 3 routes you can take. The one through NICE road, Kanakpura road, Malavalli and Hosalli (i.e. NH 209) is the best as it seems to be recently tarred.

Coming from BTM (with Silk board behind us), we took a left at Jayadeva signal; got onto Banerghetta rd and went on straight for about 7.4km (passing IIM B) on the way. Then, connect to the NICE rd; get onto it and take the lane going to Kanakpura; the toll would be Rs. 18 (in case you don't know the exit). The NICE rd is still in good condition and hardly any traffic congestion so its a nice drive. Take the Kanakpura town exit. From there on, you connect to NH 209 and go on for 70 odd km where you take a left at Malavalli town to continue on NH 209. Straight would be SH 33.

On NH209, you cross the Art of Living ashram about 30km from Bangalore.

Throughout NH 209, the condition of the roads is excellent; no pot holes but its a single lane highway without divider so that is the only thing you have to be careful about. There's not much traffic as such either.

Once you cross Malavalli, you continue straight. As you approach Shivasamudram, there are 3 bridges which are very narrow; only 2 mid-sized cars can travel side by side. So, if there's a heavy vehicle coming by, it becomes 1-way traffic. Also, there are 4 patches of varying from 50-200m where the roads are terrible (rather there is no rd; just stones); so here, you travel on the 1st gear.

Please note that there are NO decent dhabas/eating outlets on this highway so make your own food arrangements.

We reached around 11am.

Once you reach, people will give you different directions for Shivasamudram falls. As such, you cannot "enter" the waterfall. You watch it from a distance. Shivasamudram and the waterfall are NOT at the same place. Shivasamudram is where the Hydro-electric power plant is and you watch the waterfall from a distance. Here there is a restaurant and restroom facility. To touch the water fall, you have to Gaganchukki which is near a Dargah (mentioning the Dargah coz this will help you locate Gaganchukki immediately). Here, you'll have to get down a bit and then have access to a small area of the water fall.

There is another waterfall "Bharachukki" (5km from Gaganchukki) where are 2 waterfalls. You can actually enter one waterfall, play around and there is a boating facility for the other. There are these round cane boats like a saucer; the boatman takes you under a water fall and on the way back, whirls the boat around!
It is HERE that you play in the waterfall.
There are cycle vendors selling fruits and snacks but no permanent structure and no toilet facilities.

Most people end up going at the wrong places. So, Shivasamudram is where you watch the waterfall; Gaganchukki where you touch it. And Bharachukki is another waterfall where you play to your hearts content.

We finally started on our way back at 3 and reached home at about 6 (got stuck in traffic on Banerghetta rd).

Overall, nice weekend getaway!

I did this trip around Sep -Oct 2008. We had taken Mysore road to get there which is also at its best And no Toll ofcourse :) .. This travelouge may bring back some of my memories at both ganganachukki and bharachukki. So, Awaiting Pics !!

Quote:

Originally Posted by MohsinRoadster (Post 2113672)
I did this trip around Sep -Oct 2008. We had taken Mysore road to get there which is also at its best And no Toll ofcourse :) .. This travelouge may bring back some of my memories at both ganganachukki and bharachukki. So, Awaiting Pics !!

Well, I heard the Mysore rd is not in very good condition; and anyway it connects to NH 209. The SH17 is terrible; some people who took that route did not enjoy the trip one bit!

N yes, will upload pics soon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by libranof1987 (Post 2113683)
Well, I heard the Mysore rd is not in very good condition; and anyway it connects to NH 209. The SH17 is terrible; some people who took that route did not enjoy the trip one bit!

N yes, will upload pics soon.

Which Mysore Road are you talking about? Its still the best road and much better and nice than the NICE road.

Quote:

Originally Posted by srishiva (Post 2113698)
Which Mysore Road are you talking about? Its still the best road and much better and nice than the NICE road.

Some colleagues took it a month or so ago; they said there was patch with slight pot holes before the mysore rd connected to NH 209; could be the rains.

If anyone has taken it recently and found otherwise, I'll gladly correct my statement.

Quote:

Originally Posted by libranof1987 (Post 2113701)
Some colleagues took it a month or so ago; they said there was patch with slight pot holes before the mysore rd connected to NH 209; could be the rains.

If anyone has taken it recently and found otherwise, I'll gladly correct my statement.

I guess your colleagues might have taken the SH17 - Maddur - Malavalli - Shivasamudram route. Someone on TBHP had travelled this route a few months back and had written a report about it (can't find the link offhand) and as per him the Maddur-Malavalli stretch was not in good condition and was pot holed. Using NH209 all through (like you did) seems the better option as of now since the roads are pretty decent for at least 95% of the route.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kala (Post 2113732)
I guess your colleagues might have taken the SH17 - Maddur - Malavalli - Shivasamudram route. Someone on TBHP had travelled this route a few months back and had written a report about it (can't find the link offhand) and as per him the Maddur-Malavalli stretch was not in good condition and was pot holed. Using NH209 all through (like you did) seems the better option as of now since the roads are pretty decent for at least 95% of the route.

Yes, it was reading that thread did I take NH 209. The Maddur-Malavalli stretch is bad.

NH209 is good until just before Shivasamudram where it is completely bad for a combined stretch of say 1km.

As others have already said, how about sharing some pics of the trip too ? There is a decent place here to have lunch, check this out - GeorgiaSunshine

Quote:

Originally Posted by kannan666 (Post 2113764)
As others have already said, how about sharing some pics of the trip too ? There is a decent place here to have lunch, check this out - GeorgiaSunshine

I will definitely post pics asap.

Nice find there (GeorgiaSunshine)!
From the look of the falls and the surrounding area, did not know it could be so well-developed as a tourist destination!

the following pictures are all from Bharachukki..
the last being the boat you for a ride under the falls in..

Lovely pics Libran, did'nt know there was so much water in the falls at this time of the year since the rains had sort of stopped !