Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2010, 00:20   #16
BHPian

Brings back so many memories. Around a decade ago, I went to Chopta. There was this flat area just-opposite the GMVN guest house(which had shut down).
We pitched our tents there and were very excited. In the evening there was a bad thunder storm and we were so scared that we packed up and moved to a little room we could find.
But that place was seriously breath taking.
Old 1st November 2010, 13:56   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaymahajan View Post
Brings back so many memories. Around a decade ago, I went to Chopta. There was this flat area just-opposite the GMVN guest house(which had shut down).
We pitched our tents there and were very excited. In the evening there was a bad thunder storm and we were so scared that we packed up and moved to a little room we could find.
But that place was seriously breath taking.
Hi Akshay, the GMNV guest house is still closed. Heard that there are some legal issues going on. Absolutely agree. Its an indeed breathtaking location. Will post pics taken from that place. There were some trekkers camps setup on the meadow opposite the guest house.
Old 5th November 2010, 00:39   #18
BHPian

15th Oct. We leave Rudraprayag at 7:30am for Chopta. Stopped for a while at the market to pickup mineral water bottles. We have planned to have breakfast enroute. A thin mist was hanging in the air and the temperature a bit chilly. Just beyond Rudraprayag and the landslide zones started yet again. Crossing those carefully, we were soon driving through Augustmuni and stopped by a GMVN establishment at Chandrapuri.

View from GMVN Tourist Rest House at Chandrapuri
Devbhoomi Garhwal - Rudraprayag, Chopta, Tungnath-Chandrashila Trek-dsc_0104-large.jpg

Chandrapuri is a sleepy village with a tourist rest house along the river Mandakini. It has a restaurant where we stopped for breakfast. The view from this place is simply outstanding. From the lawn, as you look out, you have the river right by your side with a view of the mighty peak in the horizon. It was around 8am when we reached there and the peaks were dazzling in bright sunlight. The valley below was yet to get the direct rays of the sun.

Taking a closer look
Devbhoomi Garhwal - Rudraprayag, Chopta, Tungnath-Chandrashila Trek-dsc_0109-large.jpg

Devbhoomi Garhwal - Rudraprayag, Chopta, Tungnath-Chandrashila Trek-dsc_0111-large.jpg

After a relaxed breakfast, we started at 9am and were soon on our way to Chopta. We crossed Sialsaur and decided to stop by the famous temple at Ukhimath.

Sialsaur
Devbhoomi Garhwal - Rudraprayag, Chopta, Tungnath-Chandrashila Trek-dsc_0115-large.jpg

Devbhoomi Garhwal - Rudraprayag, Chopta, Tungnath-Chandrashila Trek-dsc_0116-large.jpg

Ukhimath is a pilgrimage site in Uttarakhand. It is at an elevation of 1311 metres and at a distance of 41 km from Rudraprayag. During the winters, the idols from Kedarnath temple are brought to Ukhimath and worshipped there for six months.

We parked the car at the parking lot and walked past some pretty old garhwali houses that lined the lane leading to the temple.

Devbhoomi Garhwal - Rudraprayag, Chopta, Tungnath-Chandrashila Trek-dsc_0129-large.jpg

The courtyard was clean, quiet and empty. The temple was locked but seeing us arrive, the priest came forward and opened the gates. He accompanied us inside the temple and showed us the various deities.

Devbhoomi Garhwal - Rudraprayag, Chopta, Tungnath-Chandrashila Trek-dsc_0119-large.jpg

Devbhoomi Garhwal - Rudraprayag, Chopta, Tungnath-Chandrashila Trek-dsc_0120-large.jpg

Devbhoomi Garhwal - Rudraprayag, Chopta, Tungnath-Chandrashila Trek-dsc_0121-large.jpg

Devbhoomi Garhwal - Rudraprayag, Chopta, Tungnath-Chandrashila Trek-dsc_0126-large.jpg

We took our own time and saw around the place. There was some small shrines alongside the main temple, dedicated to Kedarnath, Badrinath, Tungnath, Rudranath and Maheshwar.

Looking out at Uttarkashi
Devbhoomi Garhwal - Rudraprayag, Chopta, Tungnath-Chandrashila Trek-dsc_0118-large.jpg

The town of Uttarkashi is visible from the temple courtyard, if you walk behind the main shrine. After spending around 20mins, we were back on our way to Chopta. It was 10:30am by the watch.
Old 6th November 2010, 00:38   #19
BHPian

We reached Chopta at around 12noon. I did not have much idea about the accommodation that might be available at Chopta. Hence, thought of making an advance booking before leaving Kolkata. Our accommodation was done at Mayadeep resort.

On way to Chopta. The roads have been recently laid.
Devbhoomi Garhwal - Rudraprayag, Chopta, Tungnath-Chandrashila Trek-dsc_0130-large.jpg

The primary reason to visit Chopta was to trek up to Tungnath and onward to Chandrashila. Typically, trekkers stay overnight at Tungnath to witness the spectacular sunrise from Chandrashila. Our plan was to stay overnight at Chopta and then start to trek very early in the morning for Tungnath. Surely, we would miss seeing the sunrise from Chandrashila, but, that can happen next time. In order to start an early morning trek, we needed to stay close to the trek starting point.

Mayadeep resort disappointed us for a number of reasons. First, its 6kms from the trek start point and down in the valley. Second, location-wise, its in a trough surrounded by tall trees and you cannot get any views of the mountains if you are staying there. We expressed our disappointment to the manager and, this being the lean season, he made arrangements for us at Chauhan Guest House, also owned by the same person.

Chauhan Guest House, is actually a road side restaurant, with 2 rooms adjacent to it, which serve the lodging purpose. The rooms, though clean, were very basic, with just a bed and a cupboard. There is no electricity at Chopta. Solar lanterns provide whatever light they can. This place too, is about 4kms from the trail head, but offered better views. Set alongside a grassy meadow, you can look up and see the mighty Chaukhamba and Kedar peaks in the horizon.

We left our luggage at the GH, ordered lunch and drove upto the trail head. On the way, we came across the GMVN Tourist Lodge which has been closed down, due to some legal issues. The location is spectacular, overlooking a valley and the snow capped mountains beyond that. After spending some time at the top, we came down, had a nice bath and had our lunch.

View from GMVN, Chopta. Trekkers camps down below.
Devbhoomi Garhwal - Rudraprayag, Chopta, Tungnath-Chandrashila Trek-dsc_0136-large.jpg

Devbhoomi Garhwal - Rudraprayag, Chopta, Tungnath-Chandrashila Trek-dsc_0138-large.jpg

Devbhoomi Garhwal - Rudraprayag, Chopta, Tungnath-Chandrashila Trek-dsc_0137-large.jpg

Devbhoomi Garhwal - Rudraprayag, Chopta, Tungnath-Chandrashila Trek-dsc_0133-large.jpg

Chopta is at an altitude of 2600m (8530ft) and is much colder than Rudraprayag. It starts to snow by end of Nov and we were told that the slopes and meadows get transformed into ski slopes. These are the times when Chopta sees a lot of foreign tourists.

After lunch, I decided to see around the place. The GH leads to a meadow down below. There is a small village at the far end, comprising of an old building and not more than 10 huts. People mostly rear sheep and goats in these areas and grow some vegetables. As I kept walking, I came across a number of shepherd's huts. Most of these are now closed. With the advent of winter, they have gone down to the lower reaches of the valley to avoid the harsh winter.

Shepherd's hut
Devbhoomi Garhwal - Rudraprayag, Chopta, Tungnath-Chandrashila Trek-dsc_0157-large.jpg

Locals returning from the forest with firewood
Devbhoomi Garhwal - Rudraprayag, Chopta, Tungnath-Chandrashila Trek-dsc_0156-large.jpg

Time to return
Devbhoomi Garhwal - Rudraprayag, Chopta, Tungnath-Chandrashila Trek-dsc_0191-large.jpg

The village
Devbhoomi Garhwal - Rudraprayag, Chopta, Tungnath-Chandrashila Trek-dsc_0165-large.jpg

Lone bird
Devbhoomi Garhwal - Rudraprayag, Chopta, Tungnath-Chandrashila Trek-dsc_0183-large.jpg

As I started walking back to the GH, it was already 3:30pm. With the weakening sunlight, its already getting colder. By 4:30pm, the temperature has dropped by almost 2-3degs. Firewoods were brought out and a fire lit outside the GH, on the other side of the road. As I sat down by the fire, the peaks have started turning golden.

Outside Chauhan Guest House
Devbhoomi Garhwal - Rudraprayag, Chopta, Tungnath-Chandrashila Trek-dsc_0215-large.jpg

Another day ends
Devbhoomi Garhwal - Rudraprayag, Chopta, Tungnath-Chandrashila Trek-dsc_0226-large.jpg

Peaks on fire
Devbhoomi Garhwal - Rudraprayag, Chopta, Tungnath-Chandrashila Trek-dsc_0220-large.jpg

Tomorrow, we plan to leave by 5:00am, so that we can start our trek by 5:30am.
Old 13th November 2010, 10:51   #20
BHPian

The D'Day has arrived. I had been waiting for this day for quite a few years now, to do the much desired Tungnath-Chandrashila trek.

Could not sleep well last night, due to excitement. Woke up at 4:30am. Woke up our driver as well, as he needs to drop me at the trail head at Chopta, 4kms from the Guest House. Left the GH at 5:00am, as per plan.

Chopta is part of Kedarnath sanctuary and home to the snow-leopard, musk deer and monal pheasant besides other fauna and flora.

At Chopta, brass bells tied to a gateway, mark the starting point for the trek to Tungnath and Chandrashila peak. The Shiva temple of Tungnath is an important shrine of the Panch Kedar shrines in the Himalayas. The temples of Kedarnath, Tungnath, Kalpeshwar, Madmaheshwar and Rudranath, together form the five important shrines of Shiva worship, Panch-Kedar. At about 13000ft Tungnath is the highest man-made shrine in the world!

It is also the shortest trek, in comparison with Kedarnath, Kalpeshwar and Madmaheshwar. Tungnath temple is said to have been originally built by the famous Pandav, Arjun, about 5000 years ago.

When we reached the trail head at Chopta, there were only 2 other persons awake. It was dark. From the darkness, emerged my guide, who would accompany me along the trek. Other person was a pony-wala, who came to ask whether I would need a pony.

I rang the bell at the gateway, and started my trek to Tungnath. The path, quite narrow is higher than the surrounding ground level. It is neatly laid with jagged rocks which have lost their sharp edge, being used by pilgrims and nature-lovers for ages.

The path meanders through thick forests at the start. As I continued to trudge along, at a slow pace, the eastern sky started getting bright. The plan was to reach Tungnath in about 3hrs and complete Chandrashila in the next 2hrs and come back to Chopta by 12noon. Tungnath is showered with rain on a daily basis each afternoon. This keeps the place sparkling green and clean.

Devbhoomi Garhwal - Rudraprayag, Chopta, Tungnath-Chandrashila Trek-dsc_0247-large.jpg

Devbhoomi Garhwal - Rudraprayag, Chopta, Tungnath-Chandrashila Trek-dsc_0248-large.jpg

The sun would rise in about 20mins from now. About 800m from the start, we stopped by a small shack, set alongside the road and overlooking a lush green meadow or bugiyal.

Devbhoomi Garhwal - Rudraprayag, Chopta, Tungnath-Chandrashila Trek-dsc_0252-large.jpg

Chopta’s high altitude bugiyal meadows, which are lined by tall rhododendrons and deodars have earned it the name of India’s Switzerland. Its undulating snow slopes in winter, ideal for skiing, await infrastructural support. Rhododendron blossoms colour the mountains red in spring.

As we waited for the tea to be prepared, the eastern sky lights up signalling the arrival of the Sun, starting a new day on the incredible bugiyals which are a hidden haven in the Garhwal himalayas. The location offered a clear view of the Chaukhamba and the adjoining peaks and the bugiyal down below. We stopped there was some time to watch the sun rise and the play of colours on the snow-capped peaks.

Soon the first rays of the day hit the Chaukhamba massif and what followed, was a true spectacle, which I am unable to describe in words.

Devbhoomi Garhwal - Rudraprayag, Chopta, Tungnath-Chandrashila Trek-dsc_0257-large.jpg

Devbhoomi Garhwal - Rudraprayag, Chopta, Tungnath-Chandrashila Trek-dsc_0258-large.jpg

Devbhoomi Garhwal - Rudraprayag, Chopta, Tungnath-Chandrashila Trek-dsc_0264-large.jpg

To me, this place will forever be known to me as the 'Sunrise Bugiyal'.

Devbhoomi Garhwal - Rudraprayag, Chopta, Tungnath-Chandrashila Trek-dsc_0261-large.jpg

Humans are a minority here. A few tea-shack owners and a shepherd boy or two are all that one can see of humans besides the trekkers. The track goes on, with or without human company. It seems happy on its own, like a mendicant.

Contd..
Saurabh M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2010, 17:59   #21
Senior - BHPian

Another spectacular thread from you, Saurabh Da. Your love for the mountains, and photographing them in breathtaking fashion, is truly worth appreciation.

I had gone in this area twice in 1999. First with my parents, when we covered Delhi-Haridwar-Rishikesh-Uttarkashi-Gangotri-Tapovan-Joshimath-Auli-Badrinath. Within a few months, I was back again in Tapovan, this time as part of the base camp team (I am a trained camper, though not a trained rock climber) for a mountaineering expedition of Mount Sivling. The Himalayas are truly beautiful, and it is those areas where automobiles don't go, and civilization hasn't reared its ugly head, that are the most breathtaking.

Hats off dada. Glued to this thread.
Old 13th November 2010, 22:24   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Within a few months, I was back again in Tapovan, this time as part of the base camp team (I am a trained camper, though not a trained rock climber) for a mountaineering expedition of Mount Sivling. The Himalayas are truly beautiful, and it is those areas where automobiles don't go, and civilization hasn't reared its ugly head, that are the most breathtaking.
Thanks for your comments. I never knew that you are a trained camper. Would love to hear some of your experiences from the expeditions that you have undertaken.
Old 13th November 2010, 22:43   #23
BHPian

After a brief stopover at the shack, we start walking again. The thick forest slowly unveils sunbathed meadows which sprawl upto the horizon blending into blue valleys and snow peaks. The air is scented with multi-hued flowers. Tiny papery flowers in pink and white promise never to dry as they nod their pretty heads to the fresh mountain air.

My guide, waiting for me to catch up
Devbhoomi Garhwal - Rudraprayag, Chopta, Tungnath-Chandrashila Trek-dsc_0274-large.jpg

Devbhoomi Garhwal - Rudraprayag, Chopta, Tungnath-Chandrashila Trek-dsc_0277-large.jpg

Gradually the valley below started to emerge from the darkness. The trek path is pretty steep. The altitude gain of more than 1000m in about 4kms, was taking its toll on me. I had to stop frequently to catch my breath.

Devbhoomi Garhwal - Rudraprayag, Chopta, Tungnath-Chandrashila Trek-dsc_0276-large.jpg

On the way, we came across a board of the Alpine Research Centre at Tungnath. This is a research centre for rare high altitude plants. The farm or the research centre is on the edge of the slope towards left, from the path.

Devbhoomi Garhwal - Rudraprayag, Chopta, Tungnath-Chandrashila Trek-dsc_0275-large.jpg

The path started getting steeper and steeper and with frequent switch backs. We were now gaining height quite rapidly. After a few more stops, I could finally see the tip of the Tungnath temple. At 8:30am, I rang the huge bell at the entrance and stepped onto the temple courtyard.

Devbhoomi Garhwal - Rudraprayag, Chopta, Tungnath-Chandrashila Trek-dsc_0278-large.jpg

Devbhoomi Garhwal - Rudraprayag, Chopta, Tungnath-Chandrashila Trek-dsc_0280-large.jpg

The temple, a simple yet impressive structure in sandstone, has a Sabhagraha and a Garbhagraha the sanctum sanctorum, where Shiva resides in Lingam form. Sri Ved Vyas and Adi Shankaracharya also have a place of honour here. Besides the main temple there are many smaller temples in the courtyard which are dedicated to Parvati, the Pandav brothers, Kunti, Draupadi, Ganesh, Kuber, Dungri devi and Dharudia devi. The Bhootnath temple on a cliff set against the blue sky seems to be hanging in the air. There is a special Pitra-shila for performing rites for ancestors too.

Devbhoomi Garhwal - Rudraprayag, Chopta, Tungnath-Chandrashila Trek-dsc_0281-large.jpg

Devbhoomi Garhwal - Rudraprayag, Chopta, Tungnath-Chandrashila Trek-dsc_0283-large.jpg

Maithani Brahmins from nearby Makhumath village take their turn at handling the temple’s responsibilities. They grind fresh marigold petals and sandalwood to a wet paste and offer Tilak to the deity and His visitors.

Devbhoomi Garhwal - Rudraprayag, Chopta, Tungnath-Chandrashila Trek-dsc_0288-large.jpg

This signature marigold and sandalwood fragrance is part of the distinctly soothing ambience here. Mantras chanted by Purohits echo with a sense of eternity.

Devbhoomi Garhwal - Rudraprayag, Chopta, Tungnath-Chandrashila Trek-dsc_0287-large.jpg

I spent some time at the temple, offering prayers and exploring the surroundings. There are small huts, which provide basic staying options for those who wish the spend the night at Tungnath and hike up to Chandrashila, the next morning, to witness the spectacular sunrise from there. They also cook simple lunch for day visitors. You can get maggi or khichri and bhaji from them. I had some dry friuts and chocolates with me, which helped me gain some of my energy, after the 3hr long trek.

Devbhoomi Garhwal - Rudraprayag, Chopta, Tungnath-Chandrashila Trek-dsc_0285-large.jpg

Higher up at Chandrashila peak, flags on poles flutter in conversation.

Contd..
Old 3rd December 2010, 00:17   #24
BHPian

Sorry for being in hibernation for about 3 weeks or so.

Lets get on with the final leg of the journey.

After spending about 30mins at the temple complex, we took a narrow path that goes up behind the temple and beyond the small shacks. The cobbled path that we had been following from Chopta has ended at the temple. From now onwards, its basically a 2ft wide stretch strewn with boulders, that you would have to follow till the peak.

We were gaining height quite rapidly and the lack of oxygen in the air, was getting more evident. After a couple of turns, my guide pointed me high up along the slope, where the Chandrashila peak was situated. From the place I was standing, it appeared that it would be impossible to reach there. I was running out of breath pretty frequently and was sitting down quite often, to get back my composure.

As I kept following my guide making his way up so easily, we were at times following the track, as well as simply climbing the slopes for a short cut route.

After about 50mins, we could cover the 1km path and stepped on the Chandrashila peak. It was 9:50am. One of the most defining moments of all my travels so far.

Devbhoomi Garhwal - Rudraprayag, Chopta, Tungnath-Chandrashila Trek-dsc_0308-large.jpg

Devbhoomi Garhwal - Rudraprayag, Chopta, Tungnath-Chandrashila Trek-dsc_0309-large.jpg

At the top, it was a view to die for. I was standing on the highest peak of Garhwal, at an altitude of 4000m.

Devbhoomi Garhwal - Rudraprayag, Chopta, Tungnath-Chandrashila Trek-dsc_0289-large.jpg

Devbhoomi Garhwal - Rudraprayag, Chopta, Tungnath-Chandrashila Trek-dsc_0291-large.jpg

I am sorry that I do not have enough command of the language to describe it. Let the pictures do the talking.

Devbhoomi Garhwal - Rudraprayag, Chopta, Tungnath-Chandrashila Trek-dsc_0298-large.jpg

Devbhoomi Garhwal - Rudraprayag, Chopta, Tungnath-Chandrashila Trek-dsc_0302-large.jpg

Chaukhamba - Up Close
Devbhoomi Garhwal - Rudraprayag, Chopta, Tungnath-Chandrashila Trek-dsc_0303-large.jpg

Been there shots
Devbhoomi Garhwal - Rudraprayag, Chopta, Tungnath-Chandrashila Trek-dsc_0310-large.jpg

Devbhoomi Garhwal - Rudraprayag, Chopta, Tungnath-Chandrashila Trek-dsc_0312-large.jpg

I thanked God for giving me this wonderful opportunity to visit this place and for providing me with the strength and energy to reach here.

Devbhoomi Garhwal - Rudraprayag, Chopta, Tungnath-Chandrashila Trek-dsc_0306-large.jpg

The ambience -- strong breeze, scented flowers, the blue sky above frilly clouds and a sweeping view of snow-clad peaks sweeps the onlookers' stick to the perceiver's, offers instant Nirvana.

Devbhoomi Garhwal - Rudraprayag, Chopta, Tungnath-Chandrashila Trek-dsc_0290-large.jpg

There is nothing here to hinder one’s connection with the divine. Absolutely nothing. Except the mind talking to itself, perhaps.

Devbhoomi Garhwal - Rudraprayag, Chopta, Tungnath-Chandrashila Trek-pano-large.jpg

The End...May be..

Last edited by Saurabh M : 3rd December 2010 at 00:20.
Old 3rd December 2010, 09:32   #25
BHPian

Ah. Those were very nice pics and I feel like going there myself sometimes in mid next year.
Infact my father has talked about visiting all these areas on a 7-8 days trip. I would be following your next posts carefully. It would be great if you could give more details of hotels and restaurants around with little insight on roads etc. Seems like a good trip !
Old 3rd December 2010, 10:30   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akaush View Post
Ah. Those were very nice pics and I feel like going there myself sometimes in mid next year.
Infact my father has talked about visiting all these areas on a 7-8 days trip. I would be following your next posts carefully. It would be great if you could give more details of hotels and restaurants around with little insight on roads etc. Seems like a good trip !
A 7-8 days trip would be good enough to cover these places. You can also plan to include Badrinath as well.
As for staying options, we opted for the GMVN hotels. Rudraprayag does not have many decent staying options. The GMVN property at Rudraprayag has the best location and is quite decent. It has a no frills restaurant but serves the purpose.

The staying options at Chopta are pretty basic as well. There are basic cottages. It would be better to set low expectations for staying options there. However, if trek to Tungnath and Chandrashila are a priority, its better to stay in these cottages which are situated at the start of the trek path.

We also stayed at Pauri on our way back, but, it may not be worth it. Pauri does have good hotels but, you might prefer staying at Khirsu instead. We stayed at Pauri because there was no accommodation available at Khirsu.

As for road conditions, we traveled just 2 weeks after the Garhwal region was devastated by landslides. As a result, roads were pretty bad. Otherwise, Uttarakhand does have good roads. By the time you travel, things should be back to normal.

Do let me know if you need any additional information.
Old 3rd December 2010, 12:38   #27
BHPian

Thanks for the info & the wonderful pics of the trek. It's been on the cards for quite some time now. Would Feb be the right month to do it?
Old 3rd December 2010, 14:58   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofgondor View Post
Thanks for the info & the wonderful pics of the trek. It's been on the cards for quite some time now. Would Feb be the right month to do it?
Feb may not be the right time for this trip, my friend. It snows pretty heavily in this area and for sure, the Tungnath temple remains out of bounds till about Mar-Apr. In case you are interested in skiing, you might go there during the winter months.
Old 10th December 2010, 11:17   #29
BHPian

Re: Devbhoomi Garhwal - Rudraprayag, Chopta, Tungnath-Chandrashila Trek

Some random pics

A deep gorge on Alakanada, at the entrance of Koteshwar Mahadev temple.
Devbhoomi Garhwal - Rudraprayag, Chopta, Tungnath-Chandrashila Trek-dsc_0368-large.jpg

Major landslide between Rudraprayag and Srinagar. This landslide had kept the road closed for 6 consecutive days
Devbhoomi Garhwal - Rudraprayag, Chopta, Tungnath-Chandrashila Trek-pa170119-large.jpg

Long line of vehicles on either side of the landslide zone
Devbhoomi Garhwal - Rudraprayag, Chopta, Tungnath-Chandrashila Trek-pa170122-large.jpg

To make matters worse, this truck broke its axle in the middle of the landslide zone
Devbhoomi Garhwal - Rudraprayag, Chopta, Tungnath-Chandrashila Trek-pa170121-large.jpg

View of Pauri town
Devbhoomi Garhwal - Rudraprayag, Chopta, Tungnath-Chandrashila Trek-dsc_0381-large.jpg

Devbhoomi Garhwal - Rudraprayag, Chopta, Tungnath-Chandrashila Trek-dsc_0385-large.jpg

Devbhoomi Garhwal - Rudraprayag, Chopta, Tungnath-Chandrashila Trek-dsc_0392-large.jpg

Haridwar - the customary shot
Devbhoomi Garhwal - Rudraprayag, Chopta, Tungnath-Chandrashila Trek-dsc_0399-large.jpg

All that glitters...
Devbhoomi Garhwal - Rudraprayag, Chopta, Tungnath-Chandrashila Trek-dsc_0403-large.jpg

Silver shop
Devbhoomi Garhwal - Rudraprayag, Chopta, Tungnath-Chandrashila Trek-dsc_0406-large.jpg

Yummy..
Devbhoomi Garhwal - Rudraprayag, Chopta, Tungnath-Chandrashila Trek-dsc_0405-large.jpg

The famous lassi
Devbhoomi Garhwal - Rudraprayag, Chopta, Tungnath-Chandrashila Trek-dsc_0410-large.jpg

Could not prevent the temptation of clicking the menu card. Has some really innovative items
Devbhoomi Garhwal - Rudraprayag, Chopta, Tungnath-Chandrashila Trek-pa160097-large.jpg

Evening aarti
Devbhoomi Garhwal - Rudraprayag, Chopta, Tungnath-Chandrashila Trek-dsc_0452-large.jpg

Devbhoomi Garhwal - Rudraprayag, Chopta, Tungnath-Chandrashila Trek-dsc_0457-large.jpg

Devbhoomi Garhwal - Rudraprayag, Chopta, Tungnath-Chandrashila Trek-dsc_0458-large.jpg

Devbhoomi Garhwal - Rudraprayag, Chopta, Tungnath-Chandrashila Trek-dsc_0460-large.jpg
Old 10th December 2010, 12:35   #30
BHPian

Re: Devbhoomi Garhwal - Rudraprayag, Chopta, Tungnath-Chandrashila Trek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saurabh M View Post
Feb may not be the right time for this trip, my friend. It snows pretty heavily in this area and for sure, the Tungnath temple remains out of bounds till about Mar-Apr. In case you are interested in skiing, you might go there during the winter months.
Shucks! Thanks for the update buddy, will postpone my plans. The entrance of Koteshwar Mahadev temple looks very interesting. Do you only walk along the banks, or does one need to enter the water to reach the temple? Is it inside a cave?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks