Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2010, 20:27   #16
BHPian

Nice travelogue Anirban. Enjoyed it thoroughly.

Brought back old memories when we spent a New Year eve at the Jorepokhri Bungalow by DGHC. That was in 2006. Not sure how it is now, but, that time, it used to be a very well maintained bungalow, with wooden interiors.
Old 2nd November 2010, 09:55   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Each one
glowing underneath the sun,
as far as you can see,
there's plants and leaves of tea

But before I get into the SS-Traveller bug...
LOL, Anirban, looks like the bug is spreading, isn't it?

You certainly had an enjoyable trip overall. And the weather was clear, giving you those great views!
Old 5th November 2010, 10:44   #18
BHPian

Beautiful .. Especially the pic with yellow mountain tops and very good narration.
Old 6th November 2010, 09:02   #19
BHPian

Wonderful Broadcast. You made me feel as if I am there already.

Never knew North Bengal has such nice places to see.
Old 6th November 2010, 12:00   #20
BHPian

very nice pics buddy and glad to see you visiting our part of the country. Plus hats off to the ikon carrying 5.5 passengers. Was ground clearance an issue on your trip buddy? also how much did u spend on your fuel bill?
Old 6th November 2010, 13:19   #21
BHPian

Brilliant Pics

I would say, just awesome pics. The greens, Tea plantation and snakey' roads amidst them, its so overwhelming. And for sure a nice trip on a well kept car. The Ikon looks really neat even after 85K. Great Job.

Your pics have made my mind go travel planning for that part of the country. I am in Kolkata, but as they say, so near yet so far!
Old 6th November 2010, 21:41   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saurabh M View Post
Nice travelogue Anirban. Enjoyed it thoroughly.

Brought back old memories when we spent a New Year eve at the Jorepokhri Bungalow by DGHC. That was in 2006. Not sure how it is now, but, that time, it used to be a very well maintained bungalow, with wooden interiors.
The jorepokhri bungalow can be seen in the post 12 of this thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/2122415-post12.html

It was locked and did not look like it hosted any tourists for sometime. Although the gateman mentioned, that they only open, when they get reservation. But at the DGHC counter at Kolkata,they themselves warn against unpredictable strikes at DGHC and the booking is at own risk. So naturally, the tourists have deserted this place. But then, the location and the perch is incomparable. Really envy you. Infact I saw another travelogue earlier that had beautiful pictures of this particular location. But I am sure, people who have visited this place earlier will find the present condition very heartbreaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
LOL, Anirban, looks like the bug is spreading, isn't it?

You certainly had an enjoyable trip overall. And the weather was clear, giving you those great views!
Interestingly the weather cleared up on the last day of our stay in the hills. Frankly, We weren't even expecting it at this time of the year, post monsoons, as well as the Monsoon exit being delayed. The first day was an absolute drive through clouds, the second day was partially cleared, so there were indications of a clearer third day, but we weren't counting on it. But in the end the Majestic peak made itself visible to us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancersfx View Post
Beautiful .. Especially the pic with yellow mountain tops and very good narration.
Dont tell me, the colour the peaks appear in the pics is yellow!!

As I mentioned earlier, I am not on my usual monitor and am not sure what this processor/monitor is doing.

So please interpret the peaks as Silver with reddish tinge on some, and silvery with golden hues on the photographs taken later during the day. But the question is, how will you know which one is which!!

Help me God.

Quote:
Originally Posted by btirthankar View Post
Wonderful Broadcast. You made me feel as if I am there already.

Never knew North Bengal has such nice places to see.
North Bengal is one of my favourite destinations in the whole world, on one side you have these beautiful hills with majestic views, on the other side you have the lovely Dooars range of forests and its serenity. Both seem so diverse and yet so comforting. You can catch some of the glimpse of that in this (has both the hills and the forests)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...th-bengal.html

Besides, it even has access to the Ocean waves, if you drive around 800 kms down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrisharm View Post
very nice pics buddy and glad to see you visiting our part of the country. Plus hats off to the ikon carrying 5.5 passengers. Was ground clearance an issue on your trip buddy? also how much did u spend on your fuel bill?
Thanks, the Ground clearance was definitely an issue, but not on the hills. It was more during the drive to and from Siliguri.

One thing, I must tell you, you are extremely lucky to be from that part of the world. I have a couple of friends from that area, mostly because I like that place. But they tell me that for them, its like same daily life, but even then, its a special previlege to be from that area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwheels View Post
I would say, just awesome pics. The greens, Tea plantation and snakey' roads amidst them, its so overwhelming. And for sure a nice trip on a well kept car. The Ikon looks really neat even after 85K. Great Job.

Your pics have made my mind go travel planning for that part of the country. I am in Kolkata, but as they say, so near yet so far!
Thanks, the main hurdle people feel is to get to Siliguri and for working folks like us, driving to North Bengal means 2 days lost in driving to and from Siliguri. For people who dont have the fascination for driving, they can take the Volvo's/train and do the distance overnight, sleeping and then take on the mountains in a hired vehicle. But if those additional 2 days can be managed, a driving holiday in North Bengal is always refreshing. But practically speaking, if one needs to take 2-3 days off from work, justifying that by a visit to North Bengal, does not win any kudos at the coffee table. Most people expect a more exotic location to be flown into. But then, for some impractical folks, this is time very well spent and remembered through a lifetime.
Old 7th November 2010, 19:28   #23
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks, the Ground clearance was definitely an issue, but not on the hills. It was more during the drive to and from Siliguri.

One thing, I must tell you, you are extremely lucky to be from that part of the world. I have a couple of friends from that area, mostly because I like that place. But they tell me that for them, its like same daily life, but even then, its a special previlege to be from that area.

I know exactly what you mean buddy. After spending my childhood in kurseong (near darjeeling) we shifted to kathmandy for 5 years then to hong kong for another 5 years. Then for my higher studies/work i went to australia for 8 years. But in 2008 the call of the darjeeling hills was too strong and so i packed up can came back to siliguri/darjeeling and along the way grabbed my parents as well. Now i am involved in property development here and am quite happily settled .

Hope you get a chance to visit our lovely place again

Last edited by amrisharm : 7th November 2010 at 19:31.
Old 13th November 2010, 21:11   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I dont have a route chart, but have a very old map that I use, just in case I need reference, will try to scan it.
As stated earlier, here is the rough route map that we used, now being an old one it has quite a few inaccuracies, like the positions of Sukhia and Lepchajagat were incorrect , corrected by marking A and B

Gurashey -Lepchajagat - Pre Puja Escape to North Bengal-picture1.jpg

The height information though remains correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrisharm View Post
I know exactly what you mean buddy. After spending my childhood in kurseong (near darjeeling) we shifted to kathmandy for 5 years then to hong kong for another 5 years. Then for my higher studies/work i went to australia for 8 years. But in 2008 the call of the darjeeling hills was too strong and so i packed up can came back to siliguri/darjeeling and along the way grabbed my parents as well. Now i am involved in property development here and am quite happily settled .

Hope you get a chance to visit our lovely place again
That was quite a bit of a live ride. I will definitely visit your lovely place again, though not much chance has to do with it!

Anyway sharing a few random pictures that I had from the trip

Gurashey -Lepchajagat - Pre Puja Escape to North Bengal-img_1739.jpg

Gurashey -Lepchajagat - Pre Puja Escape to North Bengal-img_1815.jpg

Excuse the mud/soil on the fender, thats the souvenir we collect, depending on the area, the colour varies.

Gurashey -Lepchajagat - Pre Puja Escape to North Bengal-img_1818.jpg

Gurashey -Lepchajagat - Pre Puja Escape to North Bengal-img_1823.jpg

Gurashey -Lepchajagat - Pre Puja Escape to North Bengal-img_1825.jpg

Gurashey -Lepchajagat - Pre Puja Escape to North Bengal-img_1836.jpg

The last one from this trip. The Ikon and the terrific Kanchenjungha pose together and along with me.

Gurashey -Lepchajagat - Pre Puja Escape to North Bengal-img_1779.jpg

Most Viewed