Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2010, 15:05   #46
Senior - BHPian

Wow, nice travelogue with some amazing pictures.
Old 10th November 2010, 17:44   #47
BHPian

Nicely written travelogue.
We went there in 2007 for our Honeymoon trip and Andaman is a beautiful place indeed.
We stayed in Wild orchid, Havelock.
Old 10th November 2010, 18:19   #48
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a lot @latheesh and @rock18
Old 11th November 2010, 10:40   #49
Senior - BHPian

Small titbits of the trip

Couple of short notes for the trip.
Resorts
Barefoot scuba resort
Minimum and bare facility, good to stay if you planned to do scuba diving, take a two wheeler and go around.

Barefoot Resort
Luxury resort, worth a penny you pay. Go here if you want to just be at a beach and spend time leisurely. This is almost 15 kms away from the Jetty and around 12-13 kms away from all other resorts in havelock.

TSG Emerald, Port Blair
Rooms are excellent, service is good. I did not face any problems in check-in and check-out as all my rooms were prepaid.

Restaurants
Cafe Del Mar - Barefoot scuba resort
Not so good, manageable not recommend if you have option to go to a different place.

Mahua Restaurant - Barefoot resort
Excellent, expensive and you do not any option if you stay at Barefoot resort.

The Red snapper at Wild Orchid resort
Excellent, moderately expensive. Best place to have the food at Havelock.

Nala's Kingdom
Okie, for folks who want to have south indian thali meals. Not at all expensive for the rates you see at Havelock. Good food, not so appealing interiors.

Restaurant at TSG emerald
Food is good but i felt they were very expensive. They had menu with old rates in the rooms. When asked they took it back and got it back by correcting it manually using whitener. I believe they increased the price as the season was starting. The hike was almost 40 to 50% from regular rates.
Did not get a chance to try any other restaurants at Port blair.
Old 10th April 2011, 20:08   #50

Re: Andamans - Exotic place on Planet Earth

I intend to relocate to Andamans in the not too distant future. I had been there in 1988 and loved it. Any thoughts on it.

Dr Rom
Old 29th June 2011, 13:46   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRom View Post
I intend to relocate to Andamans in the not too distant future. I had been there in 1988 and loved it. Any thoughts on it.

Dr Rom
Had lived at the Islands for two years from 2008. You may find that much has changed at Port Blair since 1988 and in last few years post Tsunami in particular. Many parts are now crowded like rest of the country, Too many vehicles on streets. Town planning is conspicuous by its absence.

However, rest of the Islands are pristine as before. Mainland connectivity from Port Blair and inter-island transport have improved but not adequate. People are still peaceful with very little political / religious activism. Crime rate must be amongst the lowest in the country.

The authorities seem to be confused whether to choose the path of development or protect ecology. No one seems to realise that both could go hand in hand with some professional planning.

If you choose to relocate, I am sure you will enjoy the peace and security. But may find lack of certain amenities an irritant. There are no movie halls or malls - as yet. Flights operate only in the morning hours. Southern Islands are still not well connected. Electricity is just about adequate - inspite of a recent 30MW plant.

Make a visit - and revel in the memories.

Note from Support - Post edited. Reference to alcohol, directly or indirectly is strictly not allowed on team bhp. Please read the board rules, specifically rule # 11, before submitting any more posts.

Last edited by n_aditya : 3rd May 2013 at 15:52.
rajcs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2013, 15:46   #52
BHPian

Thanks for the detailed Travelogue. Do you know how much it will cost if we plan from Kerala now a days. I know it has been 2 years since you traveled.

Any recent changes? Me and My friend (along with family) planning to choose this place as our next vacation destination.

Any information on the cost-trip planning etc. are welcome.

Last edited by n_aditya : 3rd May 2013 at 15:54. Reason: quoted post has been deleted
Old 6th May 2013, 11:58   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinFord View Post
Thanks for the detailed Travelogue. Do you know how much it will cost if we plan from Kerala now a days. I know it has been 2 years since you traveled.

Any recent changes? Me and My friend (along with family) planning to choose this place as our next vacation destination.

Any information on the cost-trip planning etc. are welcome.
Binford. We had been to Andamans last year (Parents+Wife and 10 month old son+myself). We had booked the package with http://www.barefootholiday.com/ . They are experts in Andaman packages and we had a trip of a lifetime with them. They have a office in Chennai and all the monetary details can be handled online. I would suggest you book tickets online (Air India, Jet or SpiceJet) from Chennai. It would be good if you can take a train to Chennai. The total cost excluding flights for 4 Pax came to about INR 50,000 including Stay, Transfers, Breakfasts and the tickets to museums and jail. They use well maintained Xylos and Scorpios for travel within Port Blair.
alokgunhal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2013, 16:58   #54
BHPian

Binford, as alokgunhal mentioned, INR 50,000 is enough, though it will work out to be a bit cheaper, if you are ok with arranging stuff on your own.
There are some amazing places, like South Andaman, where you get to see waterfalls also, which is mostly not provided by packages.
In most of the islands, you can hire a bicycle (Longest distance might be 3-4kms), and enjoy the ride, instead of paying up huge amounts for the cab.
In Havelock, you can use Govt. buses and pay just 5 bucks, instead of paying at least one thousand for the cab.
Neil is a really small island, you can even walk around it or hire a bicycle.
Port Blair, you get two wheeler just like Goa, though the availability is less.
Only place where you might need a cab is while going to Baratang island, so you can enjoy dense Tropical rainforests throughout the Jarwa territory. Else you can take Bus also, that will hardly cost you 50 bucks.
crazyfordriving is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks