Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2010, 23:02   #16
BHPian

Wow BB, nice stuff. Enjoy your trip.

BTW can you explain -
"Since last night I had been reciting, right turn, turn it easy. left turn take 2."

Didnt understand the above statement fully?
Old 8th November 2010, 23:13   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrahul_2778 View Post
Wow BB, nice stuff. Enjoy your trip.

BTW can you explain -
"Since last night I had been reciting, right turn, turn it easy. left turn take 2."

Didnt understand the above statement fully?
San Francisco: The bad boy chronicles. EDIT: Point Reyes, Pics added.-turn.jpg

How I think of inside my head.

The Right turn in red is easy.
The Left turn in blue is take the second lane on that side, take 2.

ok
let me repeat for emphasis:

But this works.

Btw today: Nov 08, 2010, is my first day at office here.
Going to meet my team.

Will leave office early and go roam the streets today. Will update in the night what adventures the city has for me.

Last edited by bblost : 9th November 2010 at 00:21.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2010, 23:26   #18
BANNED

Welcome to Hotel California, such a lovely place.
While here, make some time for the 17 mile drive. If you have a couple days to spare, then head down all the way to Santa Barbara, stop by the countless pull outs with some salsa, jalapeños, tortilla chips, and hot coffee/chai.
17-Mile Drive - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 9th November 2010, 08:52   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

@BB, remember the KISS princple when driving in US : follow the traffic. Esp at turns. And you just cant go wrong.

Speaking of Hotel California, go down Route 1 south, past Monterey .. IIRC there are some nice old buildings - just like in the image that the song conjures.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2010, 09:55   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
Regarding LHD, the easiest way to get used to it, is to always remember that the driver stays towards the middle of the road, and the passenger side towards the kerb. This is true for LHD as well as RHD :-)
So, whenever you turn, just quick check if you are towards the middle of the road, and you'll turn right.
This is a good suggestion. I tried it out today and it works very well. Thanks.

Being the first day in my office at San Francisco, the first few minutes were spent in introductions and catching up with colleagues.

Soon it was time for lunch. The cafeteria in this office is truly world class. There were multiple food counters. I choose fish.
This trout was grilled right in front of me and tasted great
San Francisco: The bad boy chronicles. EDIT: Point Reyes, Pics added.-fish.jpg
Price 8.79$

I asked a friend about Indian shops in the near by areas. Was told about one that was quite close. So decided to drive there after work. Disappointed as they don't have halal meats.

Right beside it is an Indian restaurant called Coriander. Typical Indian food. I was contemplating eating there when I noticed another restaurant. Sushi Lovers.

Decided to try Sushi. I have eaten Sushi once before in Hyderabad. But that was part of a buffet meal at a 5* hotel. I wanted the real thing.

The owner of the place a Japanese guy runs the show and he is ably assisted by his family.
I ordered Summertime.
Watching it getting prepared was an amazing experiance.
First the seaweed mat is taken. Some rice is placed on it. Then cooked eel, spicy tuna and some cucumber.
This is wrapped tight using a cling wrap.
Then a thin layer of uncooked salmon covers the whole thing. Its garnished with caviar.

Illustrative picture from a website:
Name:  natsumaki21500x333.jpg
Views: 2038
Size:  39.0 KB

I was not carrying my camera and hence did a google search.

This is dipped into a wasabi + soya sauce paste.

It tastes different.
But the texture of the fish and the way the wasabi adds some fire to it, make this a very good dish.

I was also served a soup before the meal and green tea afterwards.
There was also pickled ginger. A palate cleanser. A bite in between the meal helps you renew the taste in every bite.

The next time I go there and I surely will, I am gonna try the crabs.

Price: 15.24$

Last edited by bblost : 9th November 2010 at 09:59.
Old 9th November 2010, 10:19   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Sunday 07-11

Drive to the Safeways.
Decide to spend some time in browsing thru the stuff.
Attachment 450344

Finally purchased the stuff above.

Hopefully it will taste good.
Hah! Can't beat this one mate. Biryani Biryani, Hydrabadi Biryani. Gimme a call if you want to have this. I prepared this last Saturday for Diwali. I was assigned this job by my colleagues.

Welcome mate. If you plan for something in the mid west gimme a ring.
Planning for a east to west coast drive very soon.
Attached Thumbnails
San Francisco: The bad boy chronicles. EDIT: Point Reyes, Pics added.-perveez-iphone-651-large.jpg  

prince_pervez is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2010, 13:29   #22
Senior - BHPian

Nice pics @bblost. I think you did the right thing by driving there, without hesitation. I did not muster to courage to do so, despite 2 visits---one to SFO and one to DC. One deterrent is the steep parking charges.

SFO however is well-connected by trams, buses and the BART train. I suggest you take local transport to Powell Station and then walk or take a tram to Pier 39. You can spend half a day strolling around the docks and also visit the Ghiradelli chocolate factory.

A stroll around Union square adjacent to Powell is also recommended---there are lots of eating joints in that area, apart from the HQ of Levis. A visit to Macy's is also recommended.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2010, 00:35   #23
Team-BHP Support

Tuesday 09-November-2010

Woke up early. Did not even need an alarm clock or anything. Just woke up at around 6:30. The sub-conscious was telling me, Arise awake, just get out.

Bath, Breakfast and a quick chat with my wife over gtalk.
Left home at around 7:30AM.

Entered Half Moon Bay in my gps kit and started driving.
The drive took me thru the freeway and then after a couple of miles stopped in front of some buildings and said Half Moon Bay on your left. Yikes.

I was at an office instead of the beach. This time paid more attention to the gps while searching for Half Moon Bay. Chose the Half Moon Bay Beach.

The drive took me thru a very picturesque road. The Highway 92. The speed limits varied from 25 to 45 mph.

It was a lot of fun, driving on the twisties. But the speed limits were a constant nagging problem. No one drives at the speed limit. Everyone is doing atleast 10 miles over it. And I am constantly worried about speeding violations. I try to keep about 20-30 feet behind the car in front.

The destination. A big parking lot and beside it a bunch of RV, tents etc parked in camping site.

I am at the Half Moon Bay State Beach.

It a lovely morning. Mildly warm and the breeze not cold. Infact I took of my jacket after some time.

The seating area for people to sit and watch the ocean.

Video from the shore line

Sitting on a bench dedicated to the memory of some loved one.

What I wish I could do

Something I could have settled for

And this is who I am

PS:
Thanks for you offer Pervez bhai, but where are you?
vnabhi: The credit for getting me out on the highway goes to my wife. Her simple logic of "are you crazy wasting your time and not being out there" helped.

Last edited by bblost : 10th November 2010 at 00:37.
Old 10th November 2010, 01:52   #24
BHPian

and I hope you drive on the crooked street as well. Its here
neoranjit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2010, 07:51   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
bblost : Thanks for you offer Pervez bhai, but where are you?
Take the Oracle exit and head eastwards .. away from the Fwy. A very nice neighborhood there.

btw, the cube I used to work out of overlooked the bay & the San Mateo Bridge. Ah, the good ol' days.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2010, 10:54   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is a good suggestion. I tried it out today and it works very well. Thanks.
Glad to help :-) Have done a good bit of LHD driving, and initially had similar apprehension with whatever one reads and hears. But, I found using this method (home-cooked way I thought up), I could drive fine from day 1 - of course, in the beginning one misses some turns or exits etc and there is a bit of roundabout.
Do concentrate on the drive a bit more than normal, and you should be fine.
Old 10th November 2010, 23:38   #27
Team-BHP Support

Yesterday after office, decided to check out MotorCyle stuff at cyclegear.

This store was about 4.7 miles from my office and it was easy to find.
What a lovely place.
The range of helmets from 99$ till 700$. Jackets, gloves, armour everything.

Totally fell in love with the shop. The store is manned by some very very helpful guys.

I have chosen:
Cycle Gear - SEVEN ZERO SEVEN: Vendetta 2 Centurion Full-Face Motorcycle Helmet, BLACK

Its a DOT/Snell 2010 Approved helmet. And at 149$ a perfect fit in my budget.

Then saw this jacket at 69$
Cycle Gear - TOUR MASTER: Draft Mesh Motorcycle Jacket, BLACK

And this raincoat:
Cycle Gear - MOTOCENTRIC: Centrek One-Piece Rainsuit, GUNMETAL/WHITE
which is big enough to be worn over a jacket.

I am gonna be doing some serious buying here.

I might just include some more stuff like, neck brace, kidney protectors and gloves.
Over the past few years, have slowly started understanding that armour is one thing that should never be compromised on.
Our roads are deadly. Better be prepared for anything and everything.

Then returned home. Freshened up and decided to go out for dinner. Then learnt a new lesson in driving. Decide where you want to go in unknown places.

I was driving around and around in circles and getting lost.

Then as I started getting hungrier and hungrier a nasty headache started to develop. I am doing the free at 65mph and feeling very uncomfortable. Finally exited the freeway and got to a regular road. Driving and searching for food.

Finally stopped at a Bakery to realise once I go in, that they don't accept credit cards.
Damn.

I then reach this other Chinese restaurant. Park outside it.
A couple of guys are standing outside an adjacent building.

They are staring at me. I am a little confused and think maybe there is something wrong.

Finally one of them yells out. Dude, its a red zone. They will tow you car.

In SFO they have the pavements color coded. If its Red. Its no parking and offenders will be towed away.

I decide to drop this whole eating out part. Take my car and come back home.
Order in a Margarita Pizza and Garlic Bread.

Watched TV and went to sleep.

Lessons learnt for the day:
When parking check the pavement color.
Decide on your destination before venturing out.

And guys, would really appreciate pointers to good spots to simply hang out.

What are the happening places in this city?

Thanks for reading.
Old 10th November 2010, 23:58   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was driving around and around in circles and getting lost.
Quite easy to do when driving in a new place like I mentioned.
Quote:

Thanks for reading.
Well, there are guided tours you can take including the SFO tram. Here are a few places:
* Twin Peaks : Highest point in SFO, great views on a clear day/night
* Pier 39 San Francisco - harbour front, restaurants, shops, aquarium, trip to Alcatrass Island (Rock)
* Presidio
* Park near Golden Gate bridge
-- You'll get plenty of tour guide booklets etc if you land up at Pier 39. Just park further away (Pier 5x+) for easy slot and cost.
lancer_rit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2010, 05:08   #29

hey man u should try this one place called Shalimar,they'v got the best indian food i ate in my year long stay in sfo,they got better bheja than you can find anywhere in india too.i think there's a few of them,i went to the one in sunnyvale.
Old 11th November 2010, 12:09   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks for reading.

I've already given you the places in my earlier post. Take the BART to Powell, or drive and park nearby. The tram that goes down the steep slope to Pier 39 starts from Powell.

You can stroll around for nearly half a day at Pier 39, including a visit to Ghiradeli chocolate factory.

You can even take the guided tour by boat to the Golden Gate area, with Alcatraz tour as an optional add on.

This apart, you can stroll around Union Sqaure that is adjacent to Powell and visit Macy's, Levi's or the numerous restaurants there---I love the one at the center of the open area between Macy's and Levi's.

You can even take a local bus to the Golden Gate that is a drive of 10 minutes. I suggest you walk across the bridge till the viewpoint on the other end (I did it to and fro). Please ask for a 'Transfer ticket' while using local buses or trams ---you need not pay for the connecting ride, and the cost is the same. Remember to carry exact change.

If you are driving, then please drive across the Golden Gate bridge to the Marine Headlands---which offers a great view of the Ocean leading to the Golden Gate and SF Bay. It is around 3 miles from the other end of the bridge, atop the hills on the left side. You could even drive down to Sausalito on the right side of the bridge. Another few miles ahead is the Muir Woods---good for hiking the whole day with stupendous views.

Have fun and keep posting.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks