Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2010, 22:30   #76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Only Enterprise has restrictions for mileage and out of state. Dollar/Alamo/Fox/Avis etc., have no restrictions.
I had rented from AVIS local not so long ago and even though they allowed unlimited mileage it was for in state only. I rented it from local bay area outlet and car could only be taken to Nevada and Arizona. Out of state allowance was limited to 250 miles/day or they were going to charge some nominal amount like 5 cents per mile of something like that if you go over it.

I know Enterprise has had this condition for many years but I was surprised to see it at Avis.

Not that it mattered to me as I was not planning to take it out of CA.
lexusES350 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2010, 23:07   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Need advice on planned route for a 4-5 day trip:

SFO to Las Vegas
9 hours 30 mins
564 mi

Vegas to Grand Canyon
4 hours 31 mins
265 mi

Grand Canyon to Salt Lake City
9 hours 16 mins
520 mi

Salt Lake City to Reno
8 hours
521 miles

Reno to SFO
3 hours
220 miles

The only place I really want to see is the Grand Canyon. So I might spend some time there.

One question that worries me is the acceptability of my Indian License in all the states that I am driving thru.
Any reason to visit SLC? There aint much there but for the Salt Lake and Bonneville. Also you cannot drive rentals in the salt flats

Are you planning to take the CA1?
Old 18th November 2010, 23:14   #78
Team-BHP Support

No reason whatsoever.

It just allowed me to create a circle back to SFO from the Grand Canyon.

Some people like to experiance the magic of Vegas, some the rides in Universal, some the glamour of LA.

My wish to spend as much time as possible driving on American road.
The car is my lover, the road is my love.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2010, 23:35   #79
BHPian

Then you must take the CA1, its a beautiful drive from SFO to LA. Should take around 10hrs if you wish to stop by and enjoy the places on the CA1

Or you should take the 50 to Reno, Loneliest road in America, but this can get boring if you are driving alone
kraft.wagen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2010, 03:48   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
Then you must take the CA1, its a beautiful drive from SFO to LA. Should take around 10hrs if you wish to stop by and enjoy the places on the CA1

Or you should take the 50 to Reno, Loneliest road in America, but this can get boring if you are driving alone
I concur. CA 1 is one of most scenic highways and has numerous spots to pull over and enjoy the beauty.

If you just want to do day trip, try this as most beautiful stretch is actually between Montery to San Luis Obispo and you dont really need to go all the way to LA.

Take CA-1 from Half Moon Bay go south all the way till you get to San Louis Obispo, this will take about 5-6 hrs. at leisurely pace.

In San Luis Obispo, CA-1 meets US 101, so on the way back just take 101-North all the way to SF. This should take another 3.5 to 4 hrs as 101 is freeway for most of the time and you can maintain 65+ in most cases.

You should be able to do this by leaving around 10AM and coming back to SF by 9PM or so.

You will definitely enjoy it.
Old 19th November 2010, 14:45   #81
Senior - BHPian

@bblost---wish you a nice trip, wherever you decide to drive. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

BTW, do you have an IDP? I am asking becuae mine expires this December and I might have to go to the US next month. I plan to drive this time, at least for the weekend (parking charges are 12 USD per day near the office and 20 per day at the residence--hence only on weekends )

Can you PM me the details of the rentals you are paying to the car hire agency, including insurance?
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2010, 16:25   #82

Mexican Food

Why dont you try some mexican food. You can start off with Chipotle.
Also try outback, its australian. Makes sure you ask well cooked
Old 19th November 2010, 16:31   #83
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-positive View Post
Also try outback, its australian. Makes sure you ask well cooked
Are you talking about Outback Steakhouse - if yes, it's not Australian at all.

Also the right thing to ask for is "well done". I myself ask for "very well done", but lot of people like it "medium" - my wife likes it medium.

And meat connoisseurs even prefer medium rare or rare!
carboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2010, 22:09   #84
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
@bblost---wish you a nice trip, wherever you decide to drive. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

BTW, do you have an IDP? I am asking becuae mine expires this December and I might have to go to the US next month. I plan to drive this time, at least for the weekend (parking charges are 12 USD per day near the office and 20 per day at the residence--hence only on weekends )

Can you PM me the details of the rentals you are paying to the car hire agency, including insurance?
Since I am on a B1 visa for a short less than 35 days my Indian License is adequate.

The care rental amount came to about 900$ or so 29 days.
No insurance as I am covered by some special plan from my Employer.
Old 19th November 2010, 23:21   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Are you talking about Outback Steakhouse - if yes, it's not Australian at all.
Outback steakhouse is Australian themed restaurant. It may not be Australian per-say in ownership and other such details but theme wise they themselves claim to be Australian.

You may be confusing the restaurant you ate at but Outback is definitely Australian themed.
Old 20th November 2010, 07:47   #86
Team-BHP Support

@vnabhi: A correction.

I went to Avis today to clear my bills so far. Was advised to not do so.

I am on a monthly plan. 700$ a month.
If its weekly it would be 200$ a week.

Do note the rates are due to a tie up between Avis and my Employer.

I don't have my milage limits any where.
Old 20th November 2010, 19:45   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@vnabhi: A correction.

I went to Avis today to clear my bills so far. Was advised to not do so.

I am on a monthly plan. 700$ a month.
If its weekly it would be 200$ a week.

Do note the rates are due to a tie up between Avis and my Employer.

I don't have my milage limits any where.
Thanks @bblost. I too will book through my employer as there is a tie up. The rates sound lucrative.
Old 20th November 2010, 20:10   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On Saturday drove down to Lake Tahoe.

Some 210 miles from home.
Great videos, brought me memories of my last visit there. This place is beautiful round the year.

Did you thought of doing ski there? There are plenty of ski resorts who provide training and you can have fun. And it cost less than $100 to do it.

Did you take air trolley (ropeway) to a hill from where you get awesome view of lake and surrounding?

I also have suggestion, if you like caves (caverns), i would suggest you visit California Caverns. Its not too far from SF, probably 1 and half hour. Would be worth watching these piece of nature. It sure blows my mind.

Link for CA Caverns: California Cavern, State Historic Landmark

Second suggestion, which is very close to SF is Point Reyes and Muir woods (Muir beach). These are like half an hour from your place and beaches there are mind blowing especially ones at Point Reyes. Here are two teaser pics from this place.
Attached Thumbnails
San Francisco: The bad boy chronicles. EDIT: Point Reyes, Pics added.-dsc08523.jpg  

San Francisco: The bad boy chronicles. EDIT: Point Reyes, Pics added.-dsc08613.jpg  

Last edited by chevelle : 20th November 2010 at 20:11.
chevelle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2010, 21:51   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Did you take air trolley (ropeway) to a hill from where you get awesome view of lake and surrounding?
I believe that is the Heavenly Ski Resort. It has majestic views from the top, and tonnes of snow in the upper reaches.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2010, 10:56   #90
Team-BHP Support

Reached LA via the I-5 route today at around 2PM.

Got stuck in a nasty long traffic jam that delayed us by an Hour.
Due to rains in SFO and along the entire West Coast, had decided to not drive on the scenic pacific facing route.

There was a lot of fog on some parts of the road and a lot of rain in some places.
But the I-5 being the straight forward simple highway with a speed limit of 70mph, the drive was easy.

In fact we left SFO at around 7 AM. If not for the traffic jam we would have comfortably reached before 1PM. That includes a small 20-30 minute halt for gas and food.

Having reached Hollywood Bvld, parked the car in a public parking place. Ended up paying 8$ at the end of it. Then took a open bus drive thru the Beverly Hills. Was quoted 20$ a head. Bargained down to 50$ for 3. But gave a 10$ tip later to the driver.

We saw the houses of the Stars, but no stars.

Then have checked into a Hotel at around 80$ a night. The place is decent and has a complimentary wifi connection and breakfast.

Having checked in and freshened up we went for a walk in the city. Night out ended with a Tuna Sub at SubWay.

Planning on visiting the the LA Autoshow tomorrow.

My friends will be instead going of to the Universal Studios.

My first impression of LA is that its quite a happening city. But there are a lot of homeless people as well. Living close to million dollar homes with just the sky for shelter.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks