Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2010, 20:23   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
The place provides a good potential for wildlife photographers. What gear did you use to shoot? The pics are really good although you went out of focus at few places.

Did you go by flight to GHY?
Yeah via flight to ghy and from there a hired cab to Kaziranga. But the best option for someone specifically going to Kaziranga would be to fly directly to Jorhat and then take a cab to Kaziranga its some 90 odd kms i think.

Gear was pretty simple, my canon 1000d, tammy 17-50mm f2.8 and 100-400 L IS lens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Phrangmung View Post
Your pictures prove that just the elephant ride is not enough, jeep safari is a must for visitors to the National park. There were news about government starting even boat safaris from this year and elephant rides even in Burapahar range.
Yes thats true jeep is also a must specially in the eastern range. But if it was in feb or march the jeeps would have been even more effective since then the grass would be shorter.

Burapahar safari's has started but not sure about boat safaris. But elephant is there i think.
Old 2nd December 2010, 22:39   #17
Senior - BHPian

Awesome, a travelogue of Kaziranga just when I need it. I'm going there day after tomorrow. Planning to take a Jeep Safari and then a early morning Elephant Safari and if possible one more Jeep Safari(which might be diff to cram in but let's see). How much time does it take for the Safaris? Longer the better.
And even your 100-400L was not sufficient:( God knows what'll happen to me. I just have 200mm max reach. But I presume that the Elephants goes pretty close to the Rhinos, right?
Wow, I'm already so excited to be there.
Old 2nd December 2010, 23:53   #18
Joy
BHPian

@motomaverick: Bought back my nostalgia such as Bagori, Kohora, etc. Loved the pictures.... Beautiful. Been to Kaziranga at least for 4-5 times around 1983-84, since my father was posted in Jorhat. At that time, tourism infrastructure was not at this level. Kudos to you for highlighting this part of the world, i.e., North-East.

My heartiest thanks to you.
Old 3rd December 2010, 10:49   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Awesome, a travelogue of Kaziranga just when I need it. I'm going there day after tomorrow. Planning to take a Jeep Safari and then a early morning Elephant Safari and if possible one more Jeep Safari(which might be diff to cram in but let's see). How much time does it take for the Safaris? Longer the better.
And even your 100-400L was not sufficient:( God knows what'll happen to me. I just have 200mm max reach. But I presume that the Elephants goes pretty close to the Rhinos, right?
Wow, I'm already so excited to be there.
Thanks for those comments and all the best for good sightings, do take warm clothes as it will be chill there now.

Safari costs are as follows

1. Kohora: 800 bucks
2. Bagori (western): 850
3. Agaratoli (eastern): 1200

Note these are just the cost of the jeep, entry fee including gaurd & camera will be extra somewhere around 350 bucks.

Elephant safari costed us 375 per person including entry and camera.. We did the wetern in elephant.

DO not miss the eastern, its huge and lots and lots of birds. I have one jeep fellows number, pm me your number and i can message you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy View Post
@motomaverick: Bought back my nostalgia such as Bagori, Kohora, etc. Loved the pictures.... Beautiful. Been to Kaziranga at least for 4-5 times around 1983-84, since my father was posted in Jorhat. At that time, tourism infrastructure was not at this level. Kudos to you for highlighting this part of the world, i.e., North-East.

My heartiest thanks to you.
Thanks for the comments, i always knew kaziranga is a hidden jewel just did not visit it till now. There are some more pics left.
Old 3rd December 2010, 11:25   #20
Senior - BHPian

Post having our breakfast, we got to know that there was Assam Bandh today, we discussed it with our parents who had also come and we decided to push off in the evening. So what do we do now with so much time in our hands?

Yup we go to the eastern range post a early lunch, i call up the morning jeep fellow Pran and the guy got pretty excited at the prospect of visiting the eastern range for the first time this season. The jeep was fixed at 1200 bucks and off we went at around 1.30pm. Travelling at the back of an open gypsy was an amazing experience on the highway as the eastern range was some 20kms from our guest house. Took us good 3 hrs to complete the safari and by the time we came back, all of us were too tired to drive off in the night and hence we decided to staty back one more night. What i was happy with was that I was able to complete the Eastern range that i had been planning since Bangalore.

That was the end of a wonderful Kaziranga experience, with a promise to comeback again after a year or so during the ripe month of March to sight the elusive tiger. We could only see its pug marks that too some 2 days old.

So what did we find in the range? Have a look below.
Attached Thumbnails
Kaziranga-assam-241.jpg  

Kaziranga-assam-242.jpg  

Kaziranga-assam-246.jpg  

Kaziranga-assam-247.jpg  

Kaziranga-assam-249.jpg  

Kaziranga-assam-252.jpg  

Kaziranga-assam-255.jpg  

Kaziranga-assam-258.jpg  

Kaziranga-assam-259.jpg  

Kaziranga-assam-261.jpg  

Kaziranga-assam-262.jpg  

Kaziranga-assam-263.jpg  

Kaziranga-assam-266.jpg  

Kaziranga-assam-267.jpg  

Kaziranga-assam-268.jpg  

Kaziranga-assam-269.jpg  

Kaziranga-assam-270.jpg  

Kaziranga-assam-276.jpg  

Kaziranga-assam-277.jpg  

Kaziranga-assam-278.jpg  

Kaziranga-assam-280.jpg  

Kaziranga-assam-281.jpg  

Kaziranga-assam-283.jpg  

Kaziranga-assam-289.jpg  

Kaziranga-assam-291.jpg  

Kaziranga-assam-293.jpg  

Kaziranga-assam-284.jpg  

Kaziranga-assam-285.jpg  

Kaziranga-assam-296.jpg  

Old 3rd December 2010, 12:05   #21
Senior - BHPian

Hey motomaverick, Amazing trip you did. Happy to see lot of birds and wildlife. Rhino's are simply superb, keep posting more.
Old 3rd December 2010, 12:08   #22
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Motomaverick for your reply. What is the duration of the Safaris? 2-3 hours around? Tomorrow we'll do a Jeep safari and if possible will do the Agaratoli. We are staying at Wildgrass and they said they'll take care for arranging the Jeeps/Elephants. And the charges they've told me are less than what you were charged. I guess different lodges have different tie-ups. Hope they'll do so. Anyway do send me the contact number. I'm sending you my number. Are you in Assam only now? Or back to Bangalore?

EDIT: Now that you've posted your Agaratoli range pics then I'm sure that I'll take this safari. Gonna call them and let them know now itself.
Old 3rd December 2010, 12:20   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Motomaverick for your reply. What is the duration of the Safaris? 2-3 hours around? Tomorrow we'll do a Jeep safari and if possible will do the Agaratoli. We are staying at Wildgrass and they said they'll take care for arranging the Jeeps/Elephants. And the charges they've told me are less than what you were charged. I guess different lodges have different tie-ups. Hope they'll do so. Anyway do send me the contact number. I'm sending you my number. Are you in Assam only now? Or back to Bangalore?

EDIT: Now that you've posted your Agaratoli range pics then I'm sure that I'll take this safari. Gonna call them and let them know now itself.
Do not miss Agaratoli, now its been almost a month since i visited to water would have further receded. I will PM you the guys number, the charges were govt based since I was staying in Aranya Guest house which is run by ASTD.

Now i am back in Bangalore.
Old 5th December 2010, 20:08   #24
Senior - BHPian

Came back from an awesome trip of Kaziranga. And thanks a ton to Motomaverick for suggesting Agaratali Range(Eastern Range). That was the best part of the trip.
Old 5th December 2010, 23:33   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Came back from an awesome trip of Kaziranga. And thanks a ton to Motomaverick for suggesting Agaratali Range(Eastern Range). That was the best part of the trip.
Glad to hear that information was helpful, post some pics.
Old 6th December 2010, 16:47   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Glad to hear that information was helpful, post some pics.
Sure, I'll post an travelog of my North-East trip soon.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks