Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2011, 23:21   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Back to mother nature and a piece of history Part II - Family Trek to Tikona Fort

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajarams View Post
Biju, how long does it take for the trek up to the fort? Since you have mentioned "family trek", i was interested, but the pictures seem a bit daunting.
On "Friends & Family" weekends, i need to find places where i (and few other friends) can easily climb carrying our 2 yr old kids too. Is this possible on Tikona? Just for reference, we managed Purandar, the 3 caves near Lonavala & Lohagad quite comfortably.
Did you climb Purandar from the village or from the parking at the top? You should be able to do Tikona very easily. I do not remember exactly how long it took for us to climb up (will keep the time during my future treks). But definitely less than 2 hours with stops and photo sessions. On this route the only drawback is that there are not many trees and hence not much of shade. Pruandar, if you climbed from the base is tougher than Tikona. At Tikona only the last few flights of stairs are a bit steep.
Old 15th February 2011, 14:10   #32
BHPian

Re: Back to mother nature and a piece of history Part II - Family Trek to Tikona Fort

Hi Biju,

You just reminded me of my trip to Tikona fort in 2005. We were a group of friends on bikes and scooters. It was a good trek 1-1.5 hrs trek if i remember it correctly. The problem that happened was, one of my close friend Shashi's scooter's clutch plates got bad at the very same place. I and another friend Varun push the scooter along with Shashi all the way till the mumbai pune Highway on the other side. Was a 2 hour push on that hilly terrain. (although I was trying to push his scooter while riding my bike at plains and downhills)
We saw that the shop owner of the workshop had a photo with Amitabh Bachchan at that very spot. Sweet memories, we enjoyed the scooter push all the way while blaming Shashi for the mess.

The drive was very good, thin narrow roads all the way.
Old 15th February 2011, 18:37   #33
BHPian

Re: The Fort Conquered

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post

Thanks MMxylorider. Where is this temple you had been to? Is it along the same road?
Difficult to pin point exact location. I can tell you it's maybe 5 kms before the pawana dam and maybe 6 kms from Girivan. there is a big gate kind of thingy at the beginning of the road followed by a smallish ghat of about a km taking you to the top. It's a nice place to spend about an hour or so. Lush green maintained ground on a plateau.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks