Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2011, 23:52   #16
BHPian

Re: Weekend Getaway from Pune - Bhandardhara and Shrirampur

Thank you for this very informative writeup. Wish I could afford the 25k cottage for a Awesome weekend

I have to go on business purpose to shrirampur and thinking of driving down enjoying the scenic beauty. Can anyone advice whether the roads are OK enough for a Chevy Beat or should I opt for bus/train.

Also whether the best route from pune is via sangamner - loni.

Thanks
Old 4th September 2011, 22:27   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawkeron View Post
I have to go on business purpose to shrirampur and thinking of driving down enjoying the scenic beauty. Can anyone advice whether the roads are OK enough for a Chevy Beat or should I opt for bus/train.
Also whether the best route from pune is via sangamner - loni.
Thanks
I would recommend you take the Pune-Shirur-Ahmednagar-Raahuri-Shirdi route, and then turn off the Shirdi road to Shrirampur on the right (joining the Sangamner-Loni-Shrirampur road). In my opinion, this is a much better route in terms of road quality and traffic, and avoids having to pass through Sangamner and its traffic. Should not be a problem in the Beat, either. And yes, the terrain's beautiful in the rains and as long as you are not in a hurry, you will enjoy the drive.

Another slightly longer possibility is to continue towards Aurangabad from Nagar, and then take left from Nevasa Phata to Shrirampur. Haven't been on that road myself, but I have heard it's fun, and allows you to bypass Nagar city.
Old 5th September 2011, 01:52   #18
Senior - BHPian

Had been to Bhandardhara around 20 days back in the Swift D, Took the right turn after Igatpuri. Roads were good only for 20 km after the turn after which they turn pathetic. Caused a huge line of vehicles to get stuck behind my car at slow speeds as no way on earth I could fly over such roads at speeds and the roads are very narrow for them to overtake.

But the surprise was not over. If you want to visit the damm and rest of the scenic spots you have to pay a toll and then the roads are basically not present at all.

All in all I would say every car owner should stay away from Bhandardhara. SUV's would be fine but car's defo not.
Old 5th September 2011, 11:59   #19
BHPian

Anandvan is overhyped and for place like Bhandardhara 25k is way to much. Been there couple of years back and I was surprised to see the rates considering them a typo error. But soon found it to be reality. If you are ready to spend the same amount, then a place called "Machan" near forest of Pavana Dam, Kamshet is great.

It is a real tree house with everything including bikes and trekking gears for visitors.

Anyways, what matters is the time you relished.

Yes, google maps can really throw you into a googly situation. I have face same once while planning. But after discussion was lucky enough not to go ahead with the track.
Old 5th September 2011, 12:50   #20
BHPian

Hi guys. I have been to Bhandardhara several times. MTDC has lakeside cottages for around 3k per day. 4 people can easily stay in those. The last i went was 2 years back.
Old 6th September 2011, 03:36   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddheshb

I would recommend you take the Pune-Shirur-Ahmednagar-Raahuri-Shirdi route, and then turn off the Shirdi road to Shrirampur on the right (joining the Sangamner-Loni-Shrirampur road). In my opinion, this is a much better route in terms of road quality and traffic, and avoids having to pass through Sangamner and its traffic. Should not be a problem in the Beat, either. And yes, the terrain's beautiful in the rains and as long as you are not in a hurry, you will enjoy the drive.

Another slightly longer possibility is to continue towards Aurangabad from Nagar, and then take left from Nevasa Phata to Shrirampur. Haven't been on that road myself, but I have heard it's fun, and allows you to bypass Nagar city.

Hi siddesh
Unfortunately I couldn't read your reply Sunday night n hence proceeded with sangamner loni route.

Apart from a few kilometers here and there, the road tills Loni is pleasure to drive. the next 20km to shrirampur is in a serverely bad

Sad part is that my right side rearview mirror was smashed into titbits as it collided with some part of a cargo rickshaw coming from opp side. We both we were trying to avoid huge potholes on sides and but did not expect to touch each other. both were at high speeds and all I heard was a loud blast sound and a whole lot of plastic pieces and glass sharpnels allover me and across the dashboard. The autowala didn't stop.

The glass pieces were very small and sharp gave a little painful pricky feeling. I was lucky I had my sunglasses on.

Check attached pic. There is nothing that remains of the mirror. I have seen mirrors dangling on wires, some half broken etc but this one is completely pulverized.
Attached Images

Old 6th September 2011, 03:53   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum
Had been to Bhandardhara around 20 days back in the Swift D, Took the right turn after Igatpuri. Roads were good only for 20 km after the turn after which they turn pathetic. Caused a huge line of vehicles to get stuck behind my car at slow speeds as no way on earth I could fly over such roads at speeds and the roads are very narrow for them to overtake.

But the surprise was not over. If you want to visit the damm and rest of the scenic spots you have to pay a toll and then the roads are basically not present at all.

All in all I would say every car owner should stay away from Bhandardhara. SUV's would be fine but car's defo not.
That is disappointing news. Wish there were sub compact segment SUVs available under 5lacs.

Sounds like the great NANO dream.

On the toll booths, were they for road infrastructure or for environment impact like we have in lonavala enroute amby valley
Old 6th September 2011, 04:17   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadabhi
Anandvan is overhyped and for place like Bhandardhara 25k is way to much. Been there couple of years back and I was surprised to see the rates considering them a typo error. But soon found it to be reality. If you are ready to spend the same amount, then a place called "Machan" near forest of Pavana Dam, Kamshet is great.

It is a real tree house with everything including bikes and trekking gears for visitors.

Anyways, what matters is the time you relished.

Yes, google maps can really throw you into a googly situation. I have face same once while planning. But after discussion was lucky enough not to go ahead with the track.
Google is reliable in case of only highways n trunk roads. Beyond that it's speculative.

Google gets road map data from 3rd party providers who in turn pick up data on small roads from village and panchayat offices. These are error prone because it can include roads that were once used but no more exist, ones planned over existing trails etc.

Google has been very accurate when it comes to city roads. Wish they soon provide Google navigation in India
Old 6th September 2011, 06:33   #24
BHPian

spotted a rainbow. Location: just after climbing the first ghat

Last edited by rawkeron : 6th September 2011 at 06:58.
Old 6th September 2011, 07:15   #25
BHPian

Earlier post has an error. Rainbow showed up
Attached Images

Old 6th September 2011, 08:47   #26
BHPian

Looks like teambhp mobile app rreduces image sizes during upload
Old 5th October 2011, 21:08   #27
BHPian

I am planning to Bhandardhara from Pune - Chakan- Sangamner-Bhandardara on Friday(Day Travel). I am travelling with my wife and kid. Wanted to know if the roads after Sangamner (SH 44 and SH 46) are safe. I checked on Google and was wondering if the roads are safe. I hope there are no thugs around. Dont want to get into a tight spot. Let me know your experiences.

Moderators: Please push this thread asap since I need to decide whether I can take the risk.
Old 6th October 2011, 10:20   #28
BHPian

Yes, the roads are safe - people are nice all around this part of the world. However, I would be concerned about the quality of the road, especially around Bhandardhara, once you reach there and want to do some look around. Not great for small cars, and with the rains just gone by, things might be bad. Anyone been there recently who can comment?
siddheshb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2011, 12:31   #29
BHPian

@ Siddhesh
Nice weekend TL. Photo of breakfast at Rajgurunagar brings back old memories.
Brilliant photos of Bhandardhara too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawkeron View Post
Sad part is that my right side rearview mirror was smashed into titbits as it collided with some part of a cargo rickshaw coming from opp side.
You never told me this!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks