Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2010, 06:03   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Our Incredible India Drive - 13 days on the GQ !

Nice crisp pictures there. Wonderful drive. The GQ drive is almost becoming like the West coast to East Coast drive here in the US. Let me see Kharagpur in WB should have the longest platform.
Old 16th December 2010, 08:07   #17
Senior - BHPian

@roamingrao,

Fantastic drive, great pics and nice stats. I think the GQ bug is biting the Bangloreans more than any one else. With air travel getting more expensive and train travel getting more crowded, I guess the only alternative left to see the Incredible India is to drive.

Keep more pics coming sir.
Old 16th December 2010, 11:22   #18
Senior - BHPian

Its raining GQ drives here in TBHP.

Hats off to you especially considering you did it family containing young kids. Hats off to their perseverance as well.

BTW do you mind sharing the reason for doing GQ especially the convincing the family to embark on this mammoth journey . Might be helpful when I intend to do something similar.

P.S: Any takers for Kasmir to Kanyakumari Run?
Old 16th December 2010, 11:40   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post

But you crossed one more, sir, and that is the River Godavari too. Guess how!

The other one is Godavari, since he said he has been to Nasik, correct me if I am wrong!!
Old 16th December 2010, 16:36   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram.vns View Post
HVK Sir,

If I am not wrong he would have crossed river Godavari before and after Ravulapalem Town.

Godavari splits in to two near Ravulapalem Town. First stream is called Vasishta Godavari and the second stream is called Siddhantam Godavari.

Regards,

Vikram
That is right, but what he has also done is to cross Godavari at Nashik too (since he took a detour to visit Shirdi & Nashik)
Old 16th December 2010, 23:34   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Fantastic start
Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
Mind boggling stuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
Looks like its gonna be an awesome log!
Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
CONGRATULATIONS for the terrific feat!
Quote:
Originally Posted by unni.ak View Post
Bring it on!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Beautiful. I appreciate your patience in stopping in each of the important spots of the city to take pics.
Thank you !! can't wait to start

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
your daughters are of the right age to remember everything they saw.I am waiting to read more
Sir, your writing has a fan here. each one of us here relate to all your stories.. looking forward to your vacation II thread

I share your ideas on exposing children to travel and changing situations which expands comfort zones which in turn builds their confidence / character. We as kids grew that way and now would like to see our kids experience that and stand on their feet with confidence !

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Phrangmung View Post
The experiences must have been overwhelming.
Yes sir, a whole new outlook towards life..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
Incredible journey man..!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by camchennai View Post
Please congratulate your family on my behalf for making this happen
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Fantastic drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Hats off to you especially considering you did it family containing young kids
Thank you !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
Its double the admiration to see a 'Karnataka - Bangalore(Gangavati)' car (Scorpio) accomplish this.
Gangavati alla saar, hospete. Thank You !

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
what was the photo gear?
a simple P & S - canon SX100 IS

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Wonderful drive. Let me see Kharagpur in WB should have the longest platform.
Thank you, Yes we walked on the platform !

Quote:
Sir, that was a fabulous drive, and a great achievement with your wife and 2 young daughters.

Just to answer the Q about the only (not Ganga) river that you crossed twice - that surely is the River Krishna, which you would have crossed in West Maharashtra between Kolhapur and Satara, and again in AP at Vijaywada.

But you crossed one more, sir, and that is the River Godavari too. Guess how!
Quote:
That is right, but what he has also done is to cross Godavari at Nashik too (since he took a detour to visit Shirdi & Nashik)
Thank you sir, This would not have been possible without your support and advice.

Yes, Krishna river it is. On the Godavari , I may be wrong...but I beg to differ - coming in from sinnar, we cross nashik road rly stn and join NH3 to take left towards mumbai. Godavari flow direction is slightly north from this junction and flows towards tapovan ( eastwards ). If we had taken a right ( towards Dhule ), we would have crossed the river. Please correct me if iam wrong.

continuing with the TL ....

Time flew from May 2010 when we hit upon this idea of driving on the GQ. Driving back on the Hubli - Bangalore stretch of the GQ, after our annual summer visit to native ( near Kundapur ) and cooling off at palolem beach, all of us were relieved to find ourselves cruising on a four lane road after days of on-the-face traffic. "I would drive the entire GQ if roads were like this" my daughter exclaimed in sheer excitement. s i l e n c e ruled for a moment and then the bells rang !

We just could'nt wait for their schools to reopen in June and get our hands on the annual diary - to know the dates for their mid - term exams and dasara / dussehra holidays ! From then on, it was a classic case of ' right things at the right place at the right time'.

Planning and preparations were four pronged - 1) Hotel booking 2 ) Car readiness 3 ) Factory / production / work and 4 ) Finance

Car - engine / transmission was / is in excellent condition. I had four months to have any preventive maintenance done and distributed the suspension check, change of tyres, battery change and oil / engine - gear box mounting changes to each month.
Factory - work during dasara / ayudha pooja days are always lean, but in any case, excess production was achieved in September to meet any flash orders.
The Commonwealth Games were coinciding with our schedule in RJ, DL and UP. Rooms were booked in advance in July on tentative dates at all Govt. tourism hotels. Any further delay would have left us searching for expensive private hotels.

Our parents had suggested us to leave only after October 7th or on the 1st day of Navarathri. So the entire schedule was set from October 8th to 18th - a 11 day drive.

A detailed itinerary was shared with Hvkumar in August, who suggested some time saving changes and fine tuned the schedule. His advice bore fruit on the second day itself ! ..more about it later.

September third week....all work done and set, ready to go and then this major dampener struck - HIT us from the blues - The Allahabad Hight court verdict made the school postpone the last two exams to AFTER the holidays. There was no way we could make any changes to the itinerary - its either go or no go. Last ditch effort ( read panic ) - we ran to the principal, explained him our predicament. Both being among the top five in their classes were exempted under the condition that a retest would not be possible - which we had to agree with no other choice. I had more fears - if the verdict were postponed to after the games ( say 13th or 14th ) we were to face more problems !! The rest is history.

A day before ( Oct 7th ), the tulsi plant / pot is brought inside, kept inside the kitchen, a pipe from the ajar tap managed to do ' drip irrigation' for 13 days !!

October 8th 2010, awake at 0130 hrs, 1st day of navarathri, perform all poojas / japas, settle all bags inside the car, chant a silent prayer and at 0350 hrs ......START. Being on Hesarghatta road, within two minutes we are on the GQ.

Next ... Day 1
roamingrao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2010, 23:43   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamingrao View Post
Yes, Krishna river it is. On the Godavari , I may be wrong...but I beg to differ - coming in from sinnar, we cross nashik road rly stn and join NH3 to take left towards mumbai. Godavari flow direction is slightly north from this junction and flows towards tapovan ( eastwards ). If we had taken a right ( towards Dhule ), we would have crossed the river. Please correct me if iam wrong.
Absolutely right!
But then when you went to Panchavati, you cross the Godavari bridge, that is what I meant!
Old 17th December 2010, 11:35   #23
BHPian

Congratulations

Wow! I am hooked to this thread.

Such journey I only think of , but not able to exceute in reality. Hats off to your planning and specially for the support from your family members.

Nice set of pictures of Kolkata and seems you had spent the Durga puja (Dushera) time here, when the city roads are completely filled.

Looking forward to the further details.
Old 17th December 2010, 12:12   #24
BHPian

Amazing.. Amazingg.. I am out of words
I will be tuned in to this travelogue for the full report. Some day I will also get enough courage to do something like this
Old 17th December 2010, 14:54   #25
Senior - BHPian

Amazing trip, considering that you did it with your family. Waiting to relive your experiences through your report and pictures. This is one trip I would like to do one day with my family.

Biju
Old 17th December 2010, 16:18   #26
BHPian

All I can say is 'INSPIRING'. Thouroughly Inspiring. I have been wishing, willing, trying to do such a plan for a long time but it somehow has not worked out so far. My heart's turbocharger hasn't kicked in I suppose. But it will.. Soon.
Good job done by you! Highly appreciable.
Old 17th December 2010, 17:24   #27
BHPian

Mr Rao,what a trip! Hats off to one Kundapur native to another
Looking forward to the future posts
Old 17th December 2010, 20:56   #28
BHPian

To do this GQ drive with family and two daughters to go with, its nothing less than incredible. Roamingrao(what an apt handle), I am sure your drive will inspire many of us "fence sitters". One day I will definitely make it with my son, he is too young now, being two years only.
Old 17th December 2010, 23:14   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram_NP View Post
Hats off to your planning and specially for the support from your family members.Nice set of pictures of Kolkata and seems you had spent the Durga puja (Dushera) time here, when the city roads are completely filled.
Thank you, Yes Ram, we were there on 16th Oct - peak pooja days. Enjoyed every bit of the festivities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunkk View Post
Amazing.. Amazingg
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
Amazing trip
Quote:
Originally Posted by qqplus View Post
All I can say is 'INSPIRING'
Quote:
Originally Posted by hallik9 View Post
Mr Rao,what a trip! Hats off to one Kundapur native to another
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordday View Post
To do this GQ drive with family and two daughters to go with, its nothing less than incredible.
Thank you !

Continuing..

Day 1 October 8th 2010

Bangalore - Satara - Kaas Valley - Pune - Ranjangaon - 960 kms

Driving out of Bangalore has never been so smooth. The Nelamangala toll road had opened its gates for a free ride till the next toll booth. A smooth landing ensured. We pay our first toll at Nelamangala at 4.23am knowing that one hand bag would be full of toll booth receipts at the end of our drive ! Not joking - its worth to open a new hard bound album - of toll receipts. all 92 of them ! A photocopy of the receipts would be permanent - the original tend to fade away in a couple of months.

Windows rolled up, AC had to be on - it was drizzling, Religious chants were playing in the background, wife and kids knew that nothing would force them to wake up for the next 4 hours. Day break at Hiriyur ~ 6.15am, 145kms. The camera comes out.

Passing by this arch after Hiriyur, we recollect our 2009 trip to Vani vilasa sagar on the hosdurga road, a dam constructed in 1907 by Krishnaraja Wodeyar 4 to irrigate Chitradurga and Tumkur districts. ( keyword - marikanive ) It is largely an unexplored picnic spot. Bangaloreans can combine Chitradurga fort, Chandravalli caves and this dam for a well spent weekend day. Attaching photos :

Our Incredible India Drive - 13 days on the GQ !-picture-001.jpg

Our Incredible India Drive - 13 days on the GQ !-picture-346.jpg

Our Incredible India Drive - 13 days on the GQ !-picture-349.jpg

Our Incredible India Drive - 13 days on the GQ !-picture-373.jpg

Approaching Chitradurga

Our Incredible India Drive - 13 days on the GQ !-picture-002.jpg

The windmills of Chitradurga would be the most photographed icons in this forum !

Our Incredible India Drive - 13 days on the GQ !-picture-003.jpg

Unfinished Davanagere byepass but in much much better condition

Our Incredible India Drive - 13 days on the GQ !-picture-006.jpg
Our Incredible India Drive - 13 days on the GQ !-picture-007.jpg

National Corn - way 4

Our Incredible India Drive - 13 days on the GQ !-picture-010.jpg

the shoulders resume after Bankapur

Our Incredible India Drive - 13 days on the GQ !-picture-014.jpg

Hubli and Dharwad is byepassed at 10.40am ~ 422 kms - so far non stop but not any more. We drive into the Rajasthani Ghar Dhaba ( after Dharwad high court bench ) and find only poha available - 1100 am is too early for them to prepare a thali ! Chalo, a chapati or two would do, but he says " Chulha mein fire nahi hai ".

We manage to eat a stale 2 by 4 poha and promise my kids a surprise - not divulging about a McD further 180 kms down. The apples come out. The surprise element keeps them waiting, waiting and waiting. Sankam / Ramdev ( our favourite ) whizz past without them noticing the city. The voice prompt spoils my plans to refill in MH - pulled up at an IOC at yamakanmardi ( 545 kms - 47 lits ) - returned with a 11.6 km/lit.

Gudiya and Titli had to be pulled out to pose for this snap ! Do you see hunger ?

Our Incredible India Drive - 13 days on the GQ !-picture-016.jpg

Parked at McD Kolhapur at 1.50pm to see a million watt smile on their faces ! Lot of college going kids frequent this place - some college nearby. 30 mins of deserving rest / freshen up.

Kolhapur to Satara was as usual - crowded. Bikes, Tata ace ( can feel unni squirming ), 407s all jostling for show of speed.

Our first diversion, Satara ~ 724 kms, 3.55pm - venture into the town till we reach a roundabout, stop and ask a policeman - " Saab - Kaas jaana hai " "Seedhe chale jao, circle mein right, ghat road hai, ek ghanta lagega ".

Drove as directed and then we find this procession..

Our Incredible India Drive - 13 days on the GQ !-picture-017.jpg

being the first day of navarathri ( what is it called here ? ), Durga devi idol procession were all over the town, Bands, trumpets, uniformed drummers, crackers, more loud crackers followed by full white ( kurta / jubba, dhoti / pyjamas and cap ) farmers. One such procession later that day would cost us dearly in time.

Did you notice ? Maharashtrian Durga devi is calmer / less fearable than Bengali Durga Devi !! Or is she Sharada devi ? ( as in KA -mangalore / udupi )

Managed to get past the procession, out of the town and then the climb... within no time Satara ( 7 walls of a fort ! ) shrunk to a small town surrounded by hills. After pulling up, the cliff face road diverted inside and opened up again after two kms. The area was magical, surrounded by the sahayadris ( as known here ).

A narrow road on a pleateau, a dam far below on the right, dam waters far below on the left, hills and hills upfront, bright green grass, sunlight peeping through the clouds, occasional drizzle, wow.. unforgettable.

Our Incredible India Drive - 13 days on the GQ !-picture-018.jpg
Our Incredible India Drive - 13 days on the GQ !-picture-019.jpg
Our Incredible India Drive - 13 days on the GQ !-picture-021.jpg

Further down we reach a plateau, like panchgani table top, we find cars parked, people searching for something ? for flowers ???? Kaas valley of flowers - and no flowers. Guess we reached past the bloom time - was expecting this.

A quick drive to the kaas lake, stood a while and started back - back to the magical viewpoint for some snaps. This was worth the drive all the way up.

Our Incredible India Drive - 13 days on the GQ !-picture-025.jpg
Our Incredible India Drive - 13 days on the GQ !-picture-026.jpg
Our Incredible India Drive - 13 days on the GQ !-picture-020.jpg
Our Incredible India Drive - 13 days on the GQ !-picture-033.jpg
Our Incredible India Drive - 13 days on the GQ !-picture-036.jpg

Descending down midst fading sunlight, we get a call from Hvkumar - " Where are you saar ? " That's quick, com'on you can easily make it to Mumbai by 9pm, lets meet up tommorow " - my first talk with a BHPian - and who ? HVKUMAR !!!

The excitement was short lived - entering the town again we find major roads blocked with barricades, processions everywhere, crackers everywhere and very narrow roads to try escape. With no choice, sat down, grim faced....bad luck. With constant inching could reach the byepass flyover at 7.45pm - almost cramped with repeated clutch play. Uncertain, dejected and irritated, pulled up inside Mahendra Excecutive for a strong cup of coffee and freshen up - here again - The MH home ministers wife entourage ( 2 innovas, 3 scorpios and a jeep ) had blocked the small restaurant. Managed to have a chair in the lawn for a while and then,

Pune - I'm coming, torture me !!!

Leaving Satara at 8.15pm had left little choice but to curtail our day 1 target to Pune. If not, we would reach Mumbai past midnight ( relatives house in Chembur was too late to disturb them or Andheri / Mira road Iskcon guest house too far to attempt ) . Discussing all the way to Pune, options - Ginger, natraj, raviraj ( hotels we had stayed in earlier ) till Gudiya came up with - if we have decided that we are to stay in Pune, why not extend our drive to Shri Shani Shingnapur and Shirdi and then to Mumbai directly ? It was her desire.

Had to take a decision quickly as katraj hill was fast approaching. Rethinking again, we had buffer time in Mumbai tommorow ( to go around ) so a delay would not make much difference - had to cut down visiting some places. On the other hand, we could visit both the temples this year also ( as has been since 5 years ). My thinking was on a third angle - would miss an important part of the GQ. ( had done earlier twice in our M800 but this trip was different ). Total uncertainity prevailed.......but when the junction came up, the car turned right and drove towards katraj ! Pune ~ 9.50pm ~ 940km

Have always admired Pune for its vibrant culture - Pure marathi. Puneites, a poll for you - please name any three famous personalities ( past or present ) from Pune that you would be proud to be associated with. My daughter would treasure your answers.

Change of prority - next immediate target was to get through Pune ! Took a right at katraj bus station and promptly left onto Kondhwa road - stopped at a shop to buy Gingelly oil ( Tomm - saturday being a auspicious day at Shingnapur ).

Here too, a Durga devi procession delayed our passage through kondhwa - Just prayed when Devi idol passed by ! Sholapur road crossed, defence area, railway bridge, Yerawada bridge and finally Nagar road !

Private buses leaving Pune ( name the town, there was a bus ) do not allow us to drive slow to search for a hotel. Wagholi came and passed - i gave up hope to find any decent hotel and destined to drive till Ahmednagar.

Last ditch effort - asked the person manning the toll booth - " saamne jao 2 km, 2 hotel milenge - family type". Thanked him profusely, drove on and entered Nikhil resort on the right, village : Shikrapur.

Luggage comes out for the first time, enter the reception, ask for the room to be shown, the manager shouts.....yeeeee, illi baaaaaa.

Kannada ? neevu ? Beejadi ! Oh kundapura ? naavu Haladi ! Fresh dinner ( though it was 10.45pm ), presidential suite, extra bed, end to end smiles... all for Rs. 800.00 ! 3 hours of sleep is all i could expect !

Next : Day 2 !

Last edited by roamingrao : 17th December 2010 at 23:21.
Old 18th December 2010, 00:10   #30
Senior - BHPian

Hi roaming rao.

That is really a wonderful day gone by. Gudiya and Titli are nice nick names. It appears that your daughter was your navigator+record keeper during the trip. If so we should thank her for keep the records upto date so that you can narrate them to us.

I never remembered that there is a dam near chitradurga. i always thought it was a very rocky terrain. Thanks for sharing that it could be a good day picnic.

Kaas pictures brought back memories of a wonderful trip we had this year.
IMO Satara is a messy town with very chaotic traffic. No wonder you got stuck.

I remember most of the hoteliers in Pune were from south canara district during 1980s and 1990s. I do not think the situation is different now.
Vaishali, Roopali, Shetal, Amrapali, Gandharva, Shivsagar, Modern cafe, Cafe Goodluck, Ashirwad, what not.. I always used to order my food in Kannada, the waiters always try to speak to me in Tulu thinking i am from south canara.

I remember, the family of the chairman of organising committee of the CWG Delhi games was one of the original settlers from south canara district in pune.

For me some of the famous personalities of Pune undoubtedly (not in any particular order)

1.Bajirao-Mastani
2 Peshwas
3.Sudhir Phadke
4.Pandit Bhimsen Joshi (even though he is from Karnataka, Pune is the place that gave him early recognition)
5. Chitale Bandu Mithaiwale (even though they are from Bhiwadi, Pune made them famous)
6. Maharshi Karve
7. Bajaj
8 Firodiya

etc etc

Pune was center of arts, crafts, education, politics, industry during Maratha times to modern era. so it was, is and will be home for several famous people.

Last edited by StarVegabond : 18th December 2010 at 00:24.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks