Team-BHP - Tryst with history : Day Trip to Lepakshi
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Travelogues (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/)
-   -   Tryst with history : Day Trip to Lepakshi (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/93758-tryst-history-day-trip-lepakshi.html)

Work pressure and its sustained nature was getting to our heads, and the only way to relax was to get out onto the road. Found a suitable ally in Unni.ak who was smarting from his GQ trip from which he had just got back the previous weekend. We decided to visit Lepakshi.

Tryst with history : Day Trip to Lepakshi-img_0214.jpg

Deciding to make the most of the efficiency provided by a diesel vehicle both in the economics as well as FE departments, we decided that Unni's Fiesta was to be the one to take.

Tryst with history : Day Trip to Lepakshi-img_0175.jpg

Unni landed up at our doorstep at 7AM, right on time as always, and we were off, albeit with a dirty car. Unni justified it saying he had painstakingly collected all that muck from 6-7 different states, and that there was no way he was going to wash it off so soon.

The route we were to take was rather straightforward:
Hit the road to Devanahalli, cross the Airport, and head on the NH leading to Hyderabad.

Tryst with history : Day Trip to Lepakshi-img_0174.jpg

Tryst with history : Day Trip to Lepakshi-img_0185.jpg

Cross the toll booth on the highway, and watch out for the turn to the left some distance ahead, leading to Lepakshi.

The NH was in excellent state, and we took a return toll ticket for Rs. 80 (apprx). Once we got off the highway, roads became rather unpredicatable. At some stretches, there was sliky smooth tarmac, in some there were none. Some stretches had just a single lane, and with vehicles from the opposite direction who chose to bear down upon you thereby getting you off the road, and into some ditch or the other.

Tryst with history : Day Trip to Lepakshi-img_0186.jpg

Tryst with history : Day Trip to Lepakshi-img_0190.jpg

We crossed a village in between where we asked for directions just to be on the safe side.

Travel some distance ahead and you come across the Nandi statue on your right. We thought this was where the temple was and parked. The surrounding area was a typical village what with cow dung, and general filth all around.

Tryst with history : Day Trip to Lepakshi-img_0191.jpg

Tryst with history : Day Trip to Lepakshi-img_0197.jpg

The Nandi statue is declared as a historical monument by the ASI. Going in, we noticed that this is not where the temple is located.

Tryst with history : Day Trip to Lepakshi-img_0192.jpg

Took the usual touristy snaps before the statue, while Unni was going all clicks in various angles with his new DSLR.

Tryst with history : Day Trip to Lepakshi-img_0193.jpg

Harsh sunlight however seemed to prove a pain. The weather too was quite hot, despite noon still being a few hours away.

Asked for directions to the temple, and was informed of an arch on our left a little ahead where the temple is located. Reached the place, paid the Rs.10/- parking charge, stashed our footwear in the Fiesta's boot and made our way to the temple.

Tryst with history : Day Trip to Lepakshi-img_0208.jpg

Being a Saturday, there was a fair amount of people visiting.

Tryst with history : Day Trip to Lepakshi-img_0199.jpg

Tryst with history : Day Trip to Lepakshi-img_0200.jpg

The marvel of the architecture before us was enchanting. Murals carved out of stone, and even painted ceilings within.

Tryst with history : Day Trip to Lepakshi-img_0201.jpg

Tryst with history : Day Trip to Lepakshi-img_0205.jpg

Tryst with history : Day Trip to Lepakshi-img_0206.jpg

Tryst with history : Day Trip to Lepakshi-img_0207.jpg

Nice! We have been planning for ages to get Lepakshi covered, but it just kept getting postponed. This is an ideal place for someone from Bangalore who is looking for a leisurely drive. Getting out the city limits can be a pain though, but once you are past Devnahalli airport, traffic lightens up considerably. About 30kms before Lepakshi, you have a BPCL Ghar, which can be your breakfast stop. There are other small eateries on the way as well. Waiting for more.

Nice Start Ben. So this is Unni's immediate trip after GQ tour. Somehow historic monuments and ancient sculptures are not my favorites. But yes Lepakshi is in my Wife's checklist, hence following this closely.

Quote:

Originally Posted by unni.ak (Post 2176984)
Nice! We have been planning for ages to get Lepakshi covered, but it just kept getting postponed.

Yeah, already been postponed three times!

Quote:

Originally Posted by unni.ak (Post 2176984)
About 30kms before Lepakshi, you have a BPCL Ghar, which can be your breakfast stop. There are other small eateries on the way as well.

The service there was not exactly prompt, and this being the only significant eatery along the way, there is a bit of a crowd and waiting as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacs (Post 2177005)
Nice Start Ben. So this is Unni's immediate trip after GQ tour. Somehow historic monuments and ancient sculptures are not my favorites. But yes Lepakshi is in my Wife's checklist, hence following this closely.

Weren't you guys also supposed to have been at Lepakshi at the same time we were? Or did your plans get postponed?

As mentioned earlier by Unni, Lepakshi is maainly for the drive and to get out of the city hustle n bustle. Once you reach the place, there isnt much to do or see, save for the temple.

Unni lets see some pics from the slr :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacs (Post 2177005)

Yes sir, it was. You might like the place for the photo opp it provides. Do try it some time. I can be your guide!! :D Dont expect tit-bits on the temple etc, but yes I can guide around!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by benbsb29 (Post 2177213)
Weren't you guys also supposed to have been at Lepakshi at the same time we were? Or did your plans get postponed?

I think their plans got canceled.

Tryst with history : Day Trip to Lepakshi-img_0224.jpg

Tryst with history : Day Trip to Lepakshi-img_0227.jpg

Tryst with history : Day Trip to Lepakshi-img_0236.jpg

Tryst with history : Day Trip to Lepakshi-img_0237.jpg

After a short darshan, Went around checking out the temple, not before the little one obliged us with some poses. Hints to a future modelling career?

Tryst with history : Day Trip to Lepakshi-img_0210.jpg

Tryst with history : Day Trip to Lepakshi-img_0211.jpg

Tryst with history : Day Trip to Lepakshi-img_0220.jpg

Some snaps later, we were off. The heat was beginning to get to us, and we were thirsty as well. Bought some toys for the little one from the small shops in front of the temple as souveneirs.

Tryst with history : Day Trip to Lepakshi-img_0240.jpg

We decided to stop for lunch somewhere along the NH owing to lack of good eating outlets along the way. Wifey and kid dozed off on the back seat while Unni and me engaged ourselves in small talk.

Tryst with history : Day Trip to Lepakshi-img_0242.jpg

The intention was to tank up on diesel in AP since fuel is cheaper there as against in KA. However, the bunks we tried didnt have a smaller nozzle which is required for the Fiesta.

Watching out for any bunks along the way, we made our way across the border into KA. With that, the option of cheaper fuel went down the drain. As we progressed, and no fuel bunks later, the DTE indicated low fuel on the car, and the low fuel indicator came on. With the DTE being rather trustworthy in unni's case, we headed on. Finally we filled fuel from an Essar bunk near Devanahalli.

In the quest for diesel, our lunch got delayed and we finally decided to get something from some hotel near home.

In hindsight we should have planned to vist the dam which others have mentioned in their travelogues, but we've saved that for some other day in the future.

All in all, a decent drive and a nice place to visit, making for a welcome break from the city.

Meanwhile, spotted this on the way back. Whatever that meant! :D

Tryst with history : Day Trip to Lepakshi-img_0245.jpg

Hope you enjoyed the short writeup and thanks for visiting.

And I'm yet to download the pics from my cam! Good write up Benny. Over all if you look at it, the major roads in AP are all good I think. The GQ sections are great, and now this.

nice pictures and log there, Ben. The junior (he or she ?) looks happy at Lepakshi.

Except for the hot sun, and no shades or good resturant arround, Lepakshi is an excellent picnic spot for a 0.5 day drive. When combined with either Nandi Hills or Bagepalli and Puttaparthy, it could be a good one day long drive

We had done Lepakshi-Bagepalli-Puttaparthy last year.

I returned from Lepakshi - Penukonda trip and hour back. Roads post Devanahalli are a breeze. Absolutely no traffic and you have the full road to yourself to rip through... unfortunately, my safari is still in the "Running in" period, so was forced to maintain a speed below 100 on that stretch. :(

The road to Lepakshi is around 4 kms after the toll gate. We didnt see many autos parked there as mentioned in few blogs. There were 3 sign boards on the NH for Lepakshi and missing out the turn is difficult unless you are sleeping.. ;)

Roads from NH to Lepakshi range from single lane to abrupt stretches of butter smooth double lanes. Its hot and sunny.. So, we took an offroad after Lepakshi, where we found a coconut grove and had our home made lunch there.

Strangely the AP drivers on Lepakshi feel as if they own the road and would always force you to get off the road. Somehow, i was breezing on that road and my Safari is intimidating enough to push them down for a better bargain where both of us get one side of our wheels off the road rather than me taking the brunt all the time.