Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2011, 03:05   #1
BHPian

Hogenakkal Waterfalls, Tamil Nadu - Jan 1, 2011

Experience:

New year 2011 came along with my first real trip after four months of buying the Aveo. Somehow we were not able to manage any outing since I bought the car and it finally happened on 1st January, 2011. My friends family was in town and really wanted to be out of city on the weekend and so we thought of a day trip some place under 200 km from Bengaluru. We initially planned for a long weekend to Pondicherry or Tirupati but then had to cancel as we didn't book any hotels earlier for Pondicherry and thought it will overcrowded in Tirupati. The two places in mind were then Shivsamudaram and Hogenakkal falls and on the eve of 31st, we decided on the later. Really didn't research about the place much as most pics posted over Internet suggested it won't be a disappointed and yes it was worth every penny (not for us though as we lost too many pennies by screwing up three of our mobiles under water).

On the eve before the trip, I was late from office, so didn't get any time to get my car checked up but as it's new and already had it's first service, didn't expect any problems and decided to get tire pressure and gas filled up in the morning. Then canceled all the new year plans and parties to avoid late night wake-ups and booze. Called up some friends to see if they wanted to join but everyone sensibly rejected the offer as they were either already or were planning to get drunk.

We thought of leaving early but could only manage to leave by 8:30 am as wanted to carry lunch being vegetarians (not me but others) and since we had a kid with us. Loaded the car, clicked some pics and Off we GO. Reached Hogenakkal falls at 12:00, enjoyed the awesomeness of the place to the fullest and to my surprise even the kid enjoyed the place as well. The falls and the place was really beautiful and worth a second visit and the Coracle ride is a must for everyone especially the part under the falls. We took the full tour for 200 per head (we might have overpaid so would suggest you bargain accordingly) but it's actually better to bargain with the Coracle fellow for taking only the ride to the falls and not the Karnataka border. I have had the pleasure to experience Niagara Falls from both US and Canada side and though Hogenakkal is not that magnificent compared to Niagara, the place is really beautiful and falls do have the Wow factor and is worth a visit.

At the end we bought some silly stuff for the kid and started back for Bangalore at 4:30 pm. Visited the Radhe Shyam temple on the way back, ate the food we took with us at an eating joint with some coffee and omelet and reached home by 8:00 pm. In all a very very satisfying trip as everyone liked the place and enjoyed a lot.

Route and Road:

Bangalore - Hosur - Rayakotta - Palukkodu - Hogenakkal

Thankfully there was very little traffic being a Saturday and guess most riders were either still sleeping or planning to sleep after the New years bashes and parties. We decided to take the shortest but little rough route as some suggested the scenery is awesome en-route but missed a turn and realized it only when I saw the Rayakotta sign. Someone on Team-BHP suggested to take the bridge after the Rayakotta 36km sign board and then make a sharp right turn as you cross the bridge as the road is better that way so followed the advice. The road is pretty stright forward from there with another right turn some 8 kms after Palakkodu.

Road condition was pretty decent throughout the trip with some small little patches of bumps and road fractures near Rayakotta and we cruised around at 70-80 kmph for most times. The bumps really weren't big or annoying just that you need to be careful a little.

Pitstops

There were plenty of gas stations on the route. We filled up at an Indian Oil gas station after crossing Electronic city and on arrival in Tamil Nadu as the gas prices in TN are cheaper by Rs 2 than Karnataka but I could spot a filling station almost every 5 km and though you might be better off filling up from your regular station, it shouldn't be a problem as long as you fuel up some 40 km before reaching hogenakkal falls.

However when we started feeling hungry I didn't find any nice eateries on the way and had to do away with light snack and chips for some time before reaching Palakkodu. There were a few small and decent places in Palakkodu and we stopped at a place called Vrindavan. Ordered some Dosas and Poories and really liked the taste and freshness. They charged 20 bucks for a dosa and guess our bill came to 150 bucks with tea including. At hogenakkal you will mostly find fried fish all around and there are a bunch of places to eat. Cannot really say much about the quality and taste as we didn't try them.

Expenditure:

Fuel: 305 km / mileage
Toll: Rs. 30 (return ticket to Bangalore)
Falls Entrance Gate: Rs. 30 (This is some 6-7 km before the falls and looked illegal but unavoidable)
Parking: Nil ( We parked at the bus stand, but there are some crooks who might give you a parking ticket just before you enter the falls. This is not official parking so don't take the ticket. There is gated parking some 200 meters before the falls so better Pay and Park there if you don't want to park in open.
Coracle Ride: Rs. 200 per head + Rs 40 for ticket + Rs. 50 as gratuity
Change Room / Bathroom: Rs 3 per head

a word of advice:
  • Make sure you leave your mobiles and other expensive stuff in the car and carry only some cash (300-400 per head) and cameras to the falls. Carry a bag to protect the money and cameras from water in case you are planning a coracle ride.
  • Carry some food with you
  • Bargain...it works there
and now for some pictures:

Hogenakkal Waterfalls, Tamil Nadu - Jan 1, 2011-dsc00686.jpg

Hogenakkal Waterfalls, Tamil Nadu - Jan 1, 2011-dsc00693.jpg

Hogenakkal Waterfalls, Tamil Nadu - Jan 1, 2011-dsc00698.jpg

Hogenakkal Waterfalls, Tamil Nadu - Jan 1, 2011-dsc00706.jpg

Hogenakkal Waterfalls, Tamil Nadu - Jan 1, 2011-dsc00708.jpg

Hogenakkal Waterfalls, Tamil Nadu - Jan 1, 2011-dsc00719.jpg

Hogenakkal Waterfalls, Tamil Nadu - Jan 1, 2011-dsc00801.jpg

Hogenakkal Waterfalls, Tamil Nadu - Jan 1, 2011-dsc00744.jpg

Hogenakkal Waterfalls, Tamil Nadu - Jan 1, 2011-dsc00751.jpg

Name:  DSC00757.JPG
Views: 5189
Size:  139.8 KB

Hogenakkal Waterfalls, Tamil Nadu - Jan 1, 2011-dsc00731.jpg

Hogenakkal Waterfalls, Tamil Nadu - Jan 1, 2011-dsc00761.jpg

Hogenakkal Waterfalls, Tamil Nadu - Jan 1, 2011-dsc00793.jpg

Hogenakkal Waterfalls, Tamil Nadu - Jan 1, 2011-hogenakkal-007.jpg

Hogenakkal Waterfalls, Tamil Nadu - Jan 1, 2011-hogenakkal-009.jpg

Hogenakkal Waterfalls, Tamil Nadu - Jan 1, 2011-hogenakkal-023.jpg

Hogenakkal Waterfalls, Tamil Nadu - Jan 1, 2011-hogenakkal-016.jpg

Hogenakkal Waterfalls, Tamil Nadu - Jan 1, 2011-hogenakkal-040.jpg

Hogenakkal Waterfalls, Tamil Nadu - Jan 1, 2011-hogenakkal-047.jpg

Hogenakkal Waterfalls, Tamil Nadu - Jan 1, 2011-hogenakkal-055.jpg

Hogenakkal Waterfalls, Tamil Nadu - Jan 1, 2011-hogenakkal-064.jpg

Hogenakkal Waterfalls, Tamil Nadu - Jan 1, 2011-hogenakkal-065.jpg
Old 3rd January 2011, 08:24   #2
BHPian

Re: Hogenakkal Waterfalls, Tamil Nadu - Jan 1, 2011

Nice pics, great falls.

As for the Coracle ride charging Rs. 200 per head + Rs 40 for ticket + Rs. 50 as gratuity = 290/-per head is pretty steep, looks like the locals are ripping off the tourists.
To add to this they do not even provide any safety gear on the coracle ride.
Old 3rd January 2011, 09:07   #3
BHPian

Wow. The pictures of the waterfalls were reall good but the dinghy ride seems to be a little dangerous . But most of all the dosas seems to be delicious. Keep them coming (not the dosa's but pictures)
Old 3rd January 2011, 09:08   #4
BHPian

Nice to see Hogenakkal in its full glory.
I did trip last year and this is how it was.
[FONT=&quot]http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/78517-smoking-rocks-hogenakkal.html[/FONT]
Old 3rd January 2011, 10:40   #5
Team-BHP Support

Nice pictures!

This coracle ride seems to be better than the one at Shivasamudram. Good decision there, choosing this over Shivasamudram.

This is my next destination!
Old 3rd January 2011, 11:39   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Nice pictures!

This coracle ride seems to be better than the one at Shivasamudram. Good decision there, choosing this over Shivasamudram.

This is my next destination!
If you are more interested, try the Hogenakkal route via Hosur-Denkanikottai-Anchetty. That would be even more fun, with the mist early morning.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...nchetti-2.html
Old 3rd January 2011, 13:41   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Nice pics, great falls.

As for the Coracle ride charging Rs. 200 per head + Rs 40 for ticket + Rs. 50 as gratuity = 290/-per head is pretty steep, looks like the locals are ripping off the tourists.
It was total 220 per head. Overpaid offcourse as we didn't have anyone who could bargain or understand the local language
Old 3rd January 2011, 14:12   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Nice pics, great falls.

Yes, Rs. 200 per head is way too expensive. You could bargain with about Rs. 50 or 70 per head. We did the ride 2 years back for Rs. 30 per head.

-Ravi
Old 3rd January 2011, 19:01   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmytravel View Post

Make sure you leave your mobiles and other expensive stuff in the car and carry only some cash (300-400 per head) and cameras to the falls. Carry a bag to protect the money and cameras from water in case you are planning a coracle ride.
I dont think thats a good idea leaving all the valuables behind in the car. Its better to carry them in a bag, packed nicely in a water resistant cover. The car parking area is pretty much crowded with all miscreants around and even the paid parking is not safe either. To our shock, when we returned back, we found lot of scratches on the door handle and it was obvious someone tried to break it.

Nice pictures BTW. The waterfalls looks amazing in all its glory.
Old 3rd January 2011, 21:41   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
Yes, Rs. 200 per head is way too expensive. You could bargain with about Rs. 50 or 70 per head. We did the ride 2 years back for Rs. 30 per head.

-Ravi
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmytravel View Post
It was total 220 per head. Overpaid offcourse as we didn't have anyone who could bargain or understand the local language
and guess we tourists are to be blamed a little as well. I heard another bunch of guys taking the coracle telling scolding their friends for bargaining. They are fighting over why they are bargaining as they are earning now. Guess everyone else pays a high price some fool's ignorance and showoff
Old 3rd January 2011, 22:43   #11
MX6
Senior - BHPian

I guess it's time that the tourism department of TN govt take over and conduct the coracle rides. That way we'll have a fair amount being set there. Sometimes I feel that that's the only way these guys earn. Sometimes I feel that, they use this to fleece unsuspecting tourists, especially the one's who don't know the local lingo.

Look at it this way. the pleasure you get out of a 220 bucks coracle ride would have been immense. What do you get spending 200 odd bucks for watching RGV's aag?

But it's time for tourism department to enter and regulate this. They can generate revenue and we won't feel cheated or need to bargain.
Old 4th January 2011, 18:15   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
I guess it's time that the tourism department of TN govt take over and conduct the coracle rides. That way we'll have a fair amount being set there. Sometimes I feel that that's the only way these guys earn. Sometimes I feel that, they use this to fleece unsuspecting tourists, especially the one's who don't know the local lingo.

Look at it this way. the pleasure you get out of a 220 bucks coracle ride would have been immense. What do you get spending 200 odd bucks for watching RGV's aag?

But it's time for tourism department to enter and regulate this. They can generate revenue and we won't feel cheated or need to bargain.
Makes absolute sense. If done honestly and sincerely, this will aid the locals with a good form of business and can also help preserve some of our tourist spots. Tourism department should get involved and provide safe means of boating/enjoyment to tourists and proper business means for locals. Ironically the chances of this hapenning in India (at this point) are little to nothing. The cops just stand 100 mtrs away from the assigned checkpost and have stationed local thugs to charge more at the entrance.
Old 8th January 2011, 05:29   #13
BHPian

I paid a total of 860 for 6 people.
They charge Rs 30 as entrance fee and 20 for parking when there is no place to park.
Do you think govt or police are not aware about this day time robbery? They are well aware and enjoying it to the fulliest. Everyone is just sitting here to exploit the mother nature in worst possible way as if they are gonna die tomorrow. All I request bhpians is to do your bit and keep the area clean you visit by throwing garbage in designated place only.
Old 8th January 2011, 15:47   #14
BHPian

Hi,

Nice little travelogue you got there. Had been to these falls a few years back. After going through your pics, planning to go again.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks