Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2011, 09:45   #1

Hyderabad-Rajahmundry-Papikondalu-Annavaram-Maredumilli-Bhadrachalam-Hyderabad

Started Dec 25th 2010.

I wanted to do a nearest weeklong trip from hyderabad starting 25th DEC and ending 31st DEC.

Myself, My wife and My 7 months Old boy.
Our plan was to Reach RJy on road, travel by water to Papi kondalu and back to RJY. Then move on to other places.

Hyderabad-Jangaon-Thorrur-Khammam-Sattupalli-Aswaraopet-hhis Jangareddygudem-Rajahmundry (425 kms)
This route was the worst route I travelled in AP apart from the HYD-Piduguralla-Addanki-Chennai route.

I suggest all to take NH9-Nh5 route RJY even if you feel traffic is heavy. Nh9 is hastle free.

Dont even think about Khamma route if you are travelling with full load in your car.

We started at 4:00 pm and reached RJY 3:00 am. Because of the worst road conditions it took longer, as we had to keep checking the tyre pressure at every halt.

I had booked a 2 day boat trip to Papikondalu from Rajahamundry whihc included accommodation at Koolluru Village in Papi hills. 1500/- per person which includes
Pickup from busstand/rail station - food for two days- travel (road and water)- Tent accomodation- drop at rail station in RJY.

The night stay at Papi kondalu was really memorable. It was cold and windy. As it was December expected very low temperatures as it was. Go with gull winter gear.Riverside campfire and tent accommodation middle of the hills at rivers merger itself paid the bill.

Then came back to RJy and travelled to Annavaram (80 kms) on NH5 whihc takes 60-80 minutes of drive from RJY. Checked in to the temple's AC accomodation. Had Darshan and then we stared to drive through the eastern ghats.

Annavaram-Jaggampeta(NH5)-Diversion to Gokavaram-Rampachodavaram-Maredumilli. (110 kms)

The roads were real good despite hilly area. It was double road with reflectors along side marking the road end and mid road. There is less traffic. Monkeys here are there waiting for the bananas you throw. Enroute there is small water fall. Stop by take pics and proceed.

I had booked a forest guest house for a 2 day accomodation at maredumilli. Its a small village. Nothing is in the village to explore. But Bamboo chicken is sold in every small hotel in the village. There are no restaurants as such though. The only Restauarant is in the Accomodation Premises.

This is AP forest dept's eco tourism project. During day light visit near by waterfalls, Bamboo forest etc. All you need to be ready to do is enjoy the tribal village atmosphere, low temperatures full of fog in the mornings, non veg food and pleasent timeoff with your family away from city life and work schedules.

We checked out and headed west though the Ghats to Bhadrachalam.

Maredumilli - Chinturu - Bhadrachalam (120 kms)

There was no traffic at all on this route except for less number of trucks which travel out and in to Chattisgadh. Carry you dirnking water as there is not even a single store/village that you fine for the initial 60 kms ghat road.

The road was excellent despite it being a single road for some notable distance. But there were lot of blind turns. It was an awsome experience to drive on thous stretch. We reached Bhadrachalam in little less than 3 hrs.

Chekced into a hotel. Next day had Darshan and started to HYD.

Suggested routes :
Bhadrachalam-Paloncha-Yellandu-Mahabubabad-Thorrur-Jangoan-Hyderabad (300 kms) feedback on road condisiton by the locals was not that exciting.

Bhadrachalam-kothagudem-khammam-suryapet-hyderabad(320 kms)- Feedback was "heavy trafiic".

The route I took is
Bhadrachalam-Manuguru-Eturu Nagaram-Mulugu-Hanmakonda-Jangoan-Hyderabad (350 kms). Feedback from the locals was to take this route.

As suggested the route was excellent except from a 20 kms stretch just before reaching Eturu Nagaram. Still was better campared to the Khammam-RJY route. You cannot speed but you will encouter and damages to the vehicle though. 30 kms before Eturu Nagaram and 30 kms after was single road but still in good shape. I suggest you all to take this route if you are traveling to Bhadrachalam from HYD.
tosudarshana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2011, 11:19   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyderabad-Rajahmundry-Papikondalu-Annavaram-Maredumilli-Bhadrachalam-Hyderabad

Fabulous road updates, thank you!

Wonder why the Suriapet-Khammam-Rajahmundry road is neglected for so long - used to be a good route to get from H'bad to Rajahmundry and Vizag avoiding Vijaywada? Any hope of being repaired?

The Jangaon-Khammam road was also very bad? Or is that a good way to go to Khammam avoiding NH9 and Suriapet route?

I guess there is no way you can reach Papi Kondalu by road?

No Maoist issues the road to Bhadrachalam?

Is the Jaggampetta-Chintur-Bhadrachalam the main corridor to go up from the coast, or is there another road also?

Last edited by hvkumar : 3rd January 2011 at 11:32.
Old 3rd January 2011, 11:36   #3
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyderabad-Rajahmundry-Papikondalu-Annavaram-Maredumilli-Bhadrachalam-Hyderabad

What you have outlined here is actually my dream circuit which I want to do for a long time now. Especially the boat to Papikondalu followed by the drive to Bhadrachalam. I consider this higher in my to do list than leh circuit even?
Photos please.
Old 3rd January 2011, 11:40   #4
Senior - BHPian

How did you get accommodation in the Maredumilli Forest Guest House? Is it possible for general public to get it on the spot or do advance booking, or did you need some clout to get room there?

The Bhadrachalam-Manuguru-Eturu nagaram-Ramappa-Warangal route is lovely too.

Any Maoist activity-related restrictions anywhere on this route? Or night driving restrictions at check posts?
Old 3rd January 2011, 11:44   #5
BHPian

Wow, what a timing. My parents are pushing me to plan this (Papikonda) and your experience would help a lot.

Keep rolling.

Cheers
Raghu
Old 3rd January 2011, 20:31   #6

Dont know why the KMM-RJY road is neglected that much. I dont see any repair work going either.
Jangaon-KMM route is a good doble road ecept for a stretch of 20 kms. Definately not worse than the KMM RJY highway. You can do this route even on Maruthi800.
You are correct. No road to Papikondalu.I never saw any police checking or big checkposts on the Eturu Nagaram road. I dont see any big maoist activity. I like adventures so I dont mind even if i am travelling at nights on this route. The other way to reach Bhadrachalam is RJY-Jangaredy gudem-Aswaraopet-Kothagudem-Bhadrachalam. As I knoe this route is very bad, I dont take this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Fabulous road updates, thank you!

Wonder why the Suriapet-Khammam-Rajahmundry road is neglected for so long - used to be a good route to get from H'bad to Rajahmundry and Vizag avoiding Vijaywada? Any hope of being repaired?

The Jangaon-Khammam road was also very bad? Or is that a good way to go to Khammam avoiding NH9 and Suriapet route?

I guess there is no way you can reach Papi Kondalu by road?

No Maoist issues the road to Bhadrachalam?

Is the Jaggampetta-Chintur-Bhadrachalam the main corridor to go up from the coast, or is there another road also?
Old 3rd January 2011, 20:36   #7

If its a weekend visit to Maredumilli, you must do an advance booking, if its not you can try your luck. As there is no other alternative accomodatin near by, I suggest you to book in advance anyhow. Its open to public. Goto www.vanavihari.com and you have all the info there.

As far as Maoist activity is concerned on Eturu Nagarm road, I dont see anything of that sort. Life is as usual. No Police check posts either. There are few checkposts set by forest dept which dont stop a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
How did you get accommodation in the Maredumilli Forest Guest House? Is it possible for general public to get it on the spot or do advance booking, or did you need some clout to get room there?

The Bhadrachalam-Manuguru-Eturu nagaram-Ramappa-Warangal route is lovely too.

Any Maoist activity-related restrictions anywhere on this route? Or night driving restrictions at check posts?
I planned to share photos as well. But Dont feel good to share them on public forums. Please send me your email. I will send the link.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
What you have outlined here is actually my dream circuit which I want to do for a long time now. Especially the boat to Papikondalu followed by the drive to Bhadrachalam. I consider this higher in my to do list than leh circuit even?
Photos please.

Last edited by Jaggu : 3rd January 2011 at 20:42. Reason: Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote (Quote +) instead. Thanks
Old 3rd January 2011, 21:43   #8
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Saar. You can share photos without family members here if you are ok. Good photos of places will increase interest in other travellers and boost tourism and travel!
Old 3rd January 2011, 23:16   #9

[quote=tosudarshana;2194517]

Started Dec 25th 2010.

Edited and added pictures appropriately whihc are relavant

tosudarshana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2011, 23:12   #10
BHPian

Hi, Planning to go to Bhadrachalam from Hyd and then to Vizag. How bad is the stretch from Bhadrachalam to Rajamundry? do you advise this or is it better to take the Bhadrachalam-Vijayawada-Vizag Route.
Old 31st December 2014, 22:06   #11
BHPian

How is the Khammam road from Rajahmundry to Hyderabad? Anyone that traveled via this route recently? We're traveling in a M800 so please think of the route and the car when you respond
Old 1st January 2015, 00:57   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
How is the Khammam road from Rajahmundry to Hyderabad? Anyone that traveled via this route recently? We're traveling in a M800 so please think of the route and the car when you respond
Best avoided. From Rajahmundry till the TS border, road is bad. After that, road improves but continues to be a 2-laned highway
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks