Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2011, 13:16   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Run To Raan Of Katch - Aina Mahal

17-01-2010: Last easy day at Bhuj. Aina Mahal would be open today and so would be the Museum, it would be just a 30 minute visit and we would be off, so we thought.

The 3 KM ride to Aina Mahal at 1030 was smooth, after 3 days of holiday, Bhuj was back to it's beehive, we parked the car at Prag Mahal Compled, took the tickets and entered. We never expected such a righ treasure, uploading the photos, you'd see what a treat it is.

Run To Raan Of Katch-img_5710.jpg

Some mirror paintings are exquisite, it's obvious such a rich treasure has not been looked after well, some of the glass paintings were cracked... what a shame. Almost all the mirrors are gone, the mercury coating gone. Looks like the sense to preserve it is recent.

More in the next post...

=====
Attached Thumbnails
Run To Raan Of Katch-img_5697.jpg  

Run To Raan Of Katch-img_5698.jpg  

Run To Raan Of Katch-img_5700.jpg  

Run To Raan Of Katch-img_5701.jpg  

Run To Raan Of Katch-img_5702.jpg  

Run To Raan Of Katch-img_5703.jpg  

Run To Raan Of Katch-img_5704.jpg  

Run To Raan Of Katch-img_5705.jpg  

Run To Raan Of Katch-img_5706.jpg  

Run To Raan Of Katch-img_5711.jpg  

Run To Raan Of Katch-img_5713.jpg  

Run To Raan Of Katch-img_5714.jpg  

Run To Raan Of Katch-img_5715.jpg  

Run To Raan Of Katch-img_5716.jpg  

Run To Raan Of Katch-img_5717.jpg  

Run To Raan Of Katch-img_5719.jpg  

Run To Raan Of Katch-img_5720.jpg  

Run To Raan Of Katch-img_5725.jpg  

Run To Raan Of Katch-img_5730.jpg  

Run To Raan Of Katch-img_5732.jpg  

Run To Raan Of Katch-img_5733.jpg  

Run To Raan Of Katch-img_5734.jpg  

Run To Raan Of Katch-img_5735.jpg  

Run To Raan Of Katch-img_5737.jpg  

Last edited by ramkya1 : 27th January 2011 at 13:18.
Old 27th January 2011, 14:37   #47
BHPian

Re: Run To Raan Of Katch

Great Tlog Ramakris. Really enjoying it a lot. Now i get to see through your log what we missed by not going to Mandvi or Aina mahal. There's always a next time though
Old 27th January 2011, 15:25   #48
Senior - BHPian

Hey brilliant tlogue Ramky.Inspiration enough to drive there some time this yearwe know whom to ask for details nowthanx for sharing
Old 27th January 2011, 16:08   #49
Senior - BHPian

Hello,
A very good travelogue, looks like the Big B is turning it on the heat in Gujarat. Yes definitely a place to visit on ma travel calendar as well. Also can you please provide the names of the hotels that you stayed? Should be ideal for others to plan their things accordingly.
Old 27th January 2011, 18:42   #50
Senior - BHPian

@ ku69rd: We stayed at Hotel Prince, there are other options in and around. Thanks for your nice comments.

@ Ranjit: Thanks and would love to see you again this year. Yes it's well worth a visit.

@ Harsh: I've selected the photos, too much to process and upload. Actually the Mandvi Palace (we missed it) is also reported to be good. There's always a next time

======
Old 28th January 2011, 10:35   #51
Senior - BHPian

More treasures from the Aina Mahal..

Run To Raan Of Katch-img_5739.jpg

Run To Raan Of Katch-img_5740.jpg

Run To Raan Of Katch-img_5741.jpg

Run To Raan Of Katch-img_5743.jpg

Run To Raan Of Katch-img_5746.jpg

Run To Raan Of Katch-img_5747.jpg

Run To Raan Of Katch-img_5749.jpg

My Treasures.......

Run To Raan Of Katch-img_5752.jpg

Run To Raan Of Katch-img_5756.jpg

Run To Raan Of Katch-img_5760.jpg
Old 29th January 2011, 12:40   #52
Senior - BHPian

Re: Run To Raan Of Katch- Last Lap

More from around Aina Mahal and the Lap Home.

Run To Raan Of Katch-img_5762.jpg
Run To Raan Of Katch-img_5763.jpg
Run To Raan Of Katch-img_5765.jpg
Run To Raan Of Katch-img_5767.jpg
Run To Raan Of Katch-img_5786.jpg

On the way back at Suraj Bari, we came across lots of migratory brids on the salt pans, some shots form there.

Run To Raan Of Katch-img_5791.jpg
Run To Raan Of Katch-img_5821.jpg

Soon as we entered the 4 track road form near Chotila, I was overtaking a car, must have been doing 100+, a dog jumped across, braking was not an option at that speed, must have happened in about a second. I saw the dog was chased by another from the other side of the road.

See the red arrows, only the bolts are left, rest is gone!!!

Run To Raan Of Katch-shield-arrows.jpg

Well.... I hit the dog with a thud, it was square on the middle, the fibre glass shield on the underchassis took the full impact and shattered, mercifully the wheels did not go over the dog and I saw it limping away to the side of the road on my RV mirror. Thank God for small mercies....

This is a real danger on the highway, flashing dogs, if they get entangled on the underchassis, it can do great damage to the suspension, tyre rod ends etc., an a messy job of extricating it out of the works.

We reached back home by 7 PM with great memories of the White desert.

One shot of the size of the room at Prince Hotel, was big enough to acommodate a twin bed and 2 extra beds.

Run To Raan Of Katch-img_5696.jpg

A big "THANK YOU" to all of you for reading it and giving your valuable comments.

--Ramky
====

Last edited by ramkya1 : 29th January 2011 at 12:48.
Old 30th January 2011, 20:42   #53
BHPian

Re: Run To Rann Of Katch - Out of Bhuj

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
The Man said, get out of Bhuj, so we do.....

The GPS takes us cleanly away form town, we were flying on good state roads, in 70 mts we reach Mandvi and hunt for place to eat. Locals tell us the best hotels is Krishna, we turn inside the narrow lane and find the packed dining hall. The food was good and service quick, I guess this is one of the few clean A/C eating joints here.

We head to the beach, big crowd due to the Kite Flying Festival, the car parks are chocked, visible police presence to keep things in order. The entire population of Mandvi and some more was out there flying kites, was a Meaa atmosphere; not our idea of a holiday, we like the quiet and peace and avoid crowds.

See the photos, you'd get the drift..

Attachment 486483

Attachment 486484

Attachment 486485

Attachment 486486

Attachment 486487

Attachment 486488

Attachment 486489

Attachment 486490

Attachment 486491

Attachment 486492

The tide was far out, we could see the waterlines of the mornings, spent time there for 1 hr +, tide was already coming in quickly, nice photo shoot options, would be great to spend a quiet day when the crowd is less.

Mandvi Palace has a holiday today.. pot luck. Well..... if that's the way the cookie crumbles, that's the way we take it.

We reach back to Bhuj by 6 PM with my wife at the wheel, it was that kind of a day. We come across this beautiful yellow patch of flowers, stopped to take lots of pictures, some of them here.

those yellow flowers maybe sesame crop?can anyone tell me i saw a lot of them on nh8 recently and in rajasthan

Attachment 486504

Attachment 486505

I took out a Woodhouse for a quiet read ( wonder if there are Woodhouse fans still left) while wife and children go out to the local market nearby to look a the handicrafts & cloths. Will post photos of some of the purchases, the designs on the cloths looked pretty intricate and expensive; we check up the prices after reaching A'had, they were actually 50% cheaper at Bhuj, some of them look like a lot of time and effort have gone into making it.

We settle for dinner in the room and some family movies together.

====
those yellow flowers seem to be sesame crop correct me if anyone can i saw huge swathes of them on nh8 and in rajathan recently
Old 30th January 2011, 22:55   #54
BHPian

Re: Run To Rann Of Katch - Out of Bhuj

Quote:
Originally Posted by pravdr View Post
those yellow flowers seem to be sesame crop correct me if anyone can i saw huge swathes of them on nh8 and in rajathan recently
These are mustard plants - sarson in Hindi. due to late winters these are blooming now. Ideally this crop is over by January paving way for wheat cultivation. Wheat is normally planted along with mustard. The mustard leaves protect the wheat from the intense chill with its leaves. The leaves of mustard plant are used to make the famous sarson ka saag
Old 31st January 2011, 00:33   #55
BHPian

*cough cough* Ramky Sir after seeing all these beautiful pics and travelogue . I am like hey man let's revive those childhood memories and places !! I have lived in Anjar and Gandhidham for 9 years. We often go to Rapar for Ravechi Mata temple.

Thanx a lot sir for sharing pics and travelogue.
Old 31st January 2011, 10:44   #56
Senior - BHPian

I did a short 1-dayer to White Desert, Kala Dungar & India Bridge on Saturday. Permits for that are still dished out at the Bhirandiara check post. I arrived there at 10 am, got the permits made in 15-30 minutes. As Ramky said, make sure you have your photo ID photocopies ready (for all passengers).

There were no restrictions on carrying any plastics this time.

The White Desert was totally deserted - all tent camps gone - when I reached there, and but for the BSF jawan checking the permits, there was no one else when we reached the edge of the White Desert. Even at the village of Dhordo, you have no facilities - neither food nor water - although there was a small handicrafts bazaar selling stuff at atrocious prices. For food, there is only the Shaam-e-Sarhad Village Resort at Hodka - 12 kms from the check post at Bhirandiara. The guy there was very snooty - he wanted only foreigners - ad regretted that he could not offer us lunch (for 3 persons) unfder the excuse that food is prepared only with advance notice. Therefore, the only place where you can buy at least a biscuit packet is the Bhirandiara village (just before the CP) where there are a couple of tea shops.
Old 31st January 2011, 11:15   #57
Senior - BHPian

@ shivmarwaha: I could'nt have done better!! You have it in a nutshell, thanks.

@nisarg: Thanks. Happy that it brought good memories.

@ HVK: The plastic squard was very active (non BSF local guys). Even the BSF Jawans checked out my back for plastic bags. Guess they are relaxed now that the tourist rush is over.
Old 6th February 2011, 21:10   #58
Senior - BHPian

Video of the Darbargarh Palace Clock Tower, Bhuj. This is one of the few working clock towers made by Smith and Sons, London. We waited it to strike 12 O clock, was a great show.

--Ramky
======
Old 7th February 2011, 04:48   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Therefore, the only place where you can buy at least a biscuit packet is the Bhirandiara village (just before the CP) where there are a couple of tea shops.
Also on offer at Bhirandiara are dabheli, mirch paokra's, some osrt of Sev Chaat and yummiest of all freshly made milk "mawa"!! I always like to try out the local stuff.

Most Viewed