Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2011, 15:08   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
As much as beautiful as Goa,is the drive to reach Goa via the various roads.All the roads are spectacular-NH17,Gganbawda,Radhanagari-Phonda Ghat,NH4A Londa-Ponda,NH63 Ankola-Karwar,Tillari Ghat.Not a single boring routeLovely TL
Ranjit you forgot Amboli Ghat, the one nearly every one drives through.

CL I've never driven through Gaganbawda or Radhanagari ghat. Wish I had earlier but I was always advised against do so since the ghats were in bad shape after the last monsoons. It's nice to travel in a vehicle as big as a Tavera on such roads. I would have thought you'd get better fuel economy on the Tavera considering the Advts of 20 kmpl on the highways. But I guess this is more like it what with teh heavy weight of the vehicle. May be I will drive down to Goa this month and would love to try out the GB route. Or maybe just take the train. But thanks for the awesome pics and the travellogue you've put up
Regards
Old 13th February 2011, 19:11   #92
Senior - BHPian

I was reminded of the fishermen at Poovar. They were pulling the net for over 45 minutes and at the end may be a few kilos of sardines. Felt so sad, but they never gave up.
Old 14th February 2011, 12:54   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
I was reminded of the fishermen at Poovar. They were pulling the net for over 45 minutes and at the end may be a few kilos of sardines. Felt so sad, but they never gave up.
Hey Lalu, the same scenario happened in Palolem also, as is evident from the pics. The fishermen were quite cheerful when they were pulling in their net. But when they saw the catch, they were utterly disappointed! We felt so sorry for them!

But to our amazement, they started washing their nets and we felt that they would be going back to the sea soon. Nothing would dampen their spirits!

@deutscheafrikar, thanks a lot! I am happy that you liked my photos. The Gagan Bawda route is very good now. They were doing a lot of work on the road, when we travelled that side. The ghats should be in fine condition now.

Tavera is superb for any kind of roads. The highest mileage I got from my Chevy was approximately 16.5 kmpl with 100% AC on NH4. It is not always possible to get the mileage advertised by the company as they test drive in 'ideal' conditions. They drive at constant speeds of 80 kmph, with minimal gear changes, to get optimum mileage! I drive very fast so I am not at all bothered about the mileage!!!

During our Goa trip, I was very happy with the mileage I got from Chevy considering the fact that I drove through three huge ghats @ 10 - 30 kmph. Moreover, I idled Chevy at the railway crossing for over 10 minutes!
Old 14th February 2011, 14:41   #94
Senior - BHPian

Eagles in action!!!

After our encounter with the fishermen and their disappointments, we were on our way back to our resort. We witnessed some astonishing scenes which thrilled us!

Three eagles were circling above us and were trying to steal some fish from the fishermen's net! Here are some pics of those magnificent Eagles! They were truly majestic!

An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-1.jpg

An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-2.jpg

An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-3.jpg

An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-4.jpg

An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-5.jpg

An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-6.jpg

An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-7.jpg

An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-8.jpg

An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-9.jpg

An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-10.jpg

An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-11.jpg

An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-12.jpg

An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-13.jpg

A high speed pass! See one guy bending his wing to avoid a collision!!! What presence of mind!

An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-14.jpg

An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-15.jpg

An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-16.jpg
Old 14th February 2011, 17:02   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_lover View Post
@deutscheafrikar, thanks a lot! I am happy that you liked my photos. The Gagan Bawda route is very good now. They were doing a lot of work on the road, when we travelled that side. The ghats should be in fine condition now.

Tavera is superb for any kind of roads. The highest mileage I got from my Chevy was approximately 16.5 kmpl with 100% AC on NH4.

During our Goa trip, I was very happy with the mileage I got from Chevy considering the fact that I drove through three huge ghats @ 10 - 30 kmph. Moreover, I idled Chevy at the railway crossing for over 10 minutes!
CL my pleasure, and thanks for all the info. Speaking about milage I always get 20 or 21 gong on the NH4 via amboli all the way to Goa and back in my Marina diesel. Strangely on the NH17 from Goa to Hatkamba I got the same fuel economy but the rest of the NH17 it really dipped. Going back Via amboli onto the NH4 I fill up at Kiwic? (400 kms from N. Goa) near pune I get the same 20 / 21. And considering there is one ghat at amboli I thought it woulod drop. Maybe I will take the gaganbawda route next time.
Beautiful photographs of the Eagles
Cheers

Last edited by deutscheafrikar : 14th February 2011 at 17:06.
Old 14th February 2011, 18:07   #96
Senior - BHPian

Those eagles reminded me of the recent airshow in Bangalore where we had the Suryakirans amazing us with their beautiful coordinated formation flying. These eagles tend to have it in their blood
Old 14th February 2011, 23:24   #97
Senior - BHPian

@deutscheafrikar, that's very good mileage you got for your Marina! 20 kmpl is commendable! Was it with AC on? Thanks once again for the compliments.

@Lalu, I too had the good fortune of witnessing the Surya Kiran team in action at Trivandrum. Their stunts are really breathtaking! And yes you are right, the Eagles were doing stunts just like them!
Old 15th February 2011, 02:41   #98
Senior - BHPian

The World famous Wood Oven Pizza!

We returned back to our resort after photographing the eagles in full flight! They were so elegant and we couldn’t stop talking about the incident for a long time.

We were famished by that time and we were in urgent need of something edible. We made our way out of our resort and saw these sights en-route!

Luxury Tent

An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-1.jpg

Ayurveda Massage Centre

An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-2.jpg

View of the tents, restaurant and the beach

An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-3.jpg

We reached ‘Little Italy’ restaurant after a short walk. We wanted to try out the world famous ‘Wood Oven Pizza’! I had heard a lot about it from the Chef there and we were so anxious to taste it!

In all my travelogues, I have tried to impart some knowledge to you, my dear folks, about what I learned in that particular place! In my Ooty travelogue, it was a lesson in bull riding! After I visited the magnificent city of Udaipur, I gave all of you a crash course in traditional Rajasthani paintings! I talked about how paints are made from minerals!

Now since we are in Goa, let us not waste any more time and get down to business!

Presenting to you, for the first time in Team Bhp, a crash course in Pizza making!!! I hope my friends will enjoy this session!!!

This is the 'Wood Oven' used to make those delicious Pizzas!
An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-4-wood_oven_pizza.jpg

An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-5-wood_oven_pizza.jpg

The flour is prepared earlier and kept aside for some hours. Then it is flattened and the Pizza base is made! It is cut to a perfectly round shape with the help of a steel plate! The thickness of the base is about a quarter of an inch!

An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-6-wood_oven_pizza.jpg

An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-7-wood_oven_pizza.jpg

An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-8-wood_oven_pizza.jpg

An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-9-wood_oven_pizza.jpg

An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-10-wood_oven_pizza.jpg

The cook checks the Wood Oven for the intensity of the flames! All the dust is cleaned with a broom! This broom is kept exclusively for this purpose! So nothing to worry!!!

An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-11-wood_oven_pizza.jpg

An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-12-wood_oven_pizza.jpg

An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-13-wood_oven_pizza.jpg

As you can see, the wood is in flames! It looks really beautiful, right??

An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-14-wood_oven_pizza.jpg

An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-15-wood_oven_pizza.jpg

An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-16-wood_oven_pizza.jpg

This is where the actual Chef comes in!!! He puts Tomato Pizza Sauce on the Pizza base and spreads it nicely! The thickness of the sauce is just right!

An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-17-wood_oven_pizza.jpg

An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-18-wood_oven_pizza.jpg

Now the Chef sprinkles some pepper, salt and some secret spices on the sauce!

An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-19-wood_oven_pizza.jpg

The next part is where the Chef garnishes the pizza base with lots and lots of imported Mozzarella Cheese! I must mention that he puts in quite a thick layer of cheese!

An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-20-wood_oven_pizza.jpg

An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-21-wood_oven_pizza.jpg

An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-22-wood_oven_pizza.jpg

Now he tops up the base with lots of shredded Chicken, which was prepared earlier with some secret herbs!

An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-23-wood_oven_pizza.jpg

An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-24-wood_oven_pizza.jpg

The Pizza looks delicious now! Yummmmy!

An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-25-wood_oven_pizza.jpg

On our second Pizza, he puts in an Omelette, lots of Bacon and Ham!

An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-26-wood_oven_pizza.jpg

An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-27-wood_oven_pizza.jpg

An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-28-wood_oven_pizza.jpg

He then garnishes the Pizza with another layer of Mozzarella Cheese! The Pizza is ready to be put into the oven!!

An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-29-wood_oven_pizza.jpg

With a steel shovel, the Chef carefully puts the Pizzas inside the oven! The temperature inside the oven must be more than 300 degrees!

An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-30-wood_oven_pizza.jpg
Old 15th February 2011, 03:07   #99
Senior - BHPian

The World famous Wood Oven Pizza! Part Deux!

The Second Pizza is also kept carefully inside the wood Oven!

An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-31-wood_oven_pizza.jpg

Now the Pizzas are baking inside the oven!

An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-32-wood_oven_pizza.jpg

An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-33-wood_oven_pizza.jpg

The Chef closed the oven's door for about five minutes!

He then interchanged the position of the Pizzas!

An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-34-wood_oven_pizza.jpg

The Pizzas are getting baked in the intense heat in the oven! The base has become puffed up!

An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-35-wood_oven_pizza.jpg

After another two minutes, the chef checks whether the Pizza base is nicely baked by lifting up the Pizza with the shovel!

An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-36-wood_oven_pizza.jpg

The Pizza is in the final stages of baking!

An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-37-wood_oven_pizza.jpg

The Chicken Pizza is ready and is brought out of the oven in a jiffy! It is ready to be served! I had a hard time controlling myself at this juncture!!!

An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-38-wood_oven_pizza.jpg

In another minute, the second Pizza is also ready! I could see my poor wifey waiting impatiently for her treat!

An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-39-wood_oven_pizza.jpg

An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-40-wood_oven_pizza.jpg

The Chef is ready to put the final touches on our Pizzas! He cuts the Pizzas neatly into several pieces! At that point of time, we couldn't wait even a single minute more!!!

An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-41-wood_oven_pizza.jpg

An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-42-wood_oven_pizza.jpg

Guten Appetit, my dear Team Bhp-ians! We had a gala time feasting on these delectable Pizzas! These were two of the most scrumptious Pizzas we ever tasted!!!

An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-43-wood_oven_pizza.jpg

An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-44-wood_oven_pizza.jpg

An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-45-wood_oven_pizza.jpg

Last edited by Chevy_lover : 15th February 2011 at 03:24.
Old 15th February 2011, 07:06   #100
Team-BHP Support

That is one amazing algorithm captured in snaps!
Great ! I got reminded of Nahar in Ooty!
Old 15th February 2011, 10:46   #101
BHPian

Superb pics, Chevy_lover! The places and hangouts you mention are very useful and informative, thanks. Loved reading all your other travelogues too.
Old 15th February 2011, 11:44   #102
BHPian

These are wonderful pics. The way you narrate things along with pictures is amazing like the X story in your other travelogue, the magestic train pictures, the eagle pictures etc.Keep it up dude.
Old 15th February 2011, 12:17   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_lover View Post
@deutscheafrikar, that's very good mileage you got for your Marina! 20 kmpl is commendable! Was it with AC on? Thanks once again for the compliments.
CL fist of all must mention I liked the course on the oven pizza. Have a neighbour who has immigrated to NZ, and he has become a chef there. So I sent him the link to your post since he often tells us on FB how many Pizzas he makes in an hour. Peak time 65.

Yep I used the Aircon throughout both ways always got the same milage NH4 or NH17 (partly) of the SH from Sawantwadi to NH4 except on the ratnagiri to mumbai half of NH17.

I ve just realised that the 16.5 you ve achieved on the Tavera is fantastic since one has to consider the weight and size of this vehicle. And you've mentioned that you drive fast so looking at all this there is truth about the Tavera being an economical vehicle. The max I've got on a Sumo and MM 540 to GOA on the NH17 has been 10 - 11. Never had the NH4 in this condition in those days.

Cheers
P.S. Thanks for the write up and photos of the wood fired oven and pizzas. Food always tasted great on the wood fire that was used before the LPG. That and the earthen clay pots of days gone by.
Old 15th February 2011, 12:36   #104
BHPian

Man o man, those Pizzas are too scrumptious! Next time when I am in Goa, definitely going to Little Italy.

Thanks mate for bringing out so many details and great captures of South Goa. Me's always been to the North and will sojourn to the South this time.
Old 16th February 2011, 19:03   #105
Senior - BHPian

Re: An incredible road trip to the Pearl of the Orient,Goa

@Ampere, thanks. I thought you would surely mention the wood oven pizza of Nahar of Ooty and you did!! Did you get a chance to see the pizza being made in Nahar??

Thanks a lot, Pearljam, Vishnu and Lordofgondor. South Goa is fantastic. And we loved every minute we spent there!

@Deutscheafrikar, thanks. I am happy that you enjoyed the crash course!!!

It is quite difficult to get good mileage on NH17. My friend's tourist scorpio gave him only under 10 kmpl. So 14.5 for my Chevy is very good!

Last edited by Chevy_lover : 16th February 2011 at 19:06.

Most Viewed