Team-BHP > Travelogues

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2011, 16:47   #46
Senior - BHPian

re: Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2

At the moment only 4. One Mohan from R'bhore has escaped and made Ghana (Bharatpur) its home for the last several weeks. Plans are afoot to bring it to Sariska.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
Ha..... yes, sorry... ST-2 and 4 it is

Due to poaching Panna is empty of tigers, it's good that they are Sariska is being repopulated. So there are only 4 tigers there now or are there more? Just getting background information for a detour to Sariska next time I drive to Delhi.

I guess it's better to wear the collar than be poached.

--Ramky
Thanks Dada. I would say yes & no. The trackers do tell a generalised location, but the animal still has to come out on its own. Right?

I did both times the day trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Finally made it to this thread, awesome!

So what I was pulling your leg about is a fact - the collars! Doesn't that make sightings easier - or don't the gypsies give away the secret to the tourists?

You did day trips both times, is it?
Thanks Ashish..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post
Finally it's here Conragtes for the awesome captured moments !!!
Old 4th February 2011, 16:53   #47
Senior - BHPian

re: Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2

The drinking session over for the King & Queen of the jungle, it was the turn of us mortals to quench our thirst.

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3693.jpg

On way to Darunda, we met one of the vehilces with the tracking equipment and enquired about ST-3. They told that it had climbed the hill and had gone to the other side. Disappointment, as it was not possible to climb the hill and go to the other side.

As it was nearing 4 pm and the Sun was half down behind the hills, Hari Singh suggested that since ST-2 & ST-4 sat down after quenching thirst and it was unlikely that they would come out before dark we should go towards the Pandupol temple as that was the leopard habitat and the temple priest had seen one roaming last evening around this time only.

We drove towards the temple in the hope of catching a glimpse of this elusive and magnificient animal.

On our way we saw a lone dancing peacock; don't know whom he was trying to impress.

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3715.jpg

In full bloom

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3715a.jpg

Butt display

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3737.jpg

Further down we saw a gathering of different animals - Male Sambhar decorating his antlers to impress the female.

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3695.jpg

Decorated

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3697.jpg

Male Cheetal, Sambhar, Langurs & three peacocks dancing & trying to impress two peahens. The pictures will explain better.

3 : 2

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3749.jpg

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3750.jpg

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3761.jpg

Reached the temple didn't see anything on the way, no calls at all. STopped at the temple eatery to have some tea and snacks. While this was going on saw an violent argument between two Langurs, that was being intently watched by this bird (unidentified) on a twig.

Have we learnt from them to settle the arguments this way?
Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3763.jpg

A punch on the chest and kick in the plexus

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3769.jpg

Ready for another kick?

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3770.jpg

Silent Spectator - Long Tailed Shrike or the Rufous-backed Shrike

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3772.jpg

Returned from the temple and on the way heard the guide & the driver talking. They said that ST-2 had last killed on 24th and eaten and since then has not made a kill. It is bound to kill today as it must be hungry. I asked what it meant. They said in unison that near Kaalighati or Brahmanath there could be another movement or an attempt to kill. I asked them to go towards Brahmanath again.

to be continued.../-

Last edited by mobike008 : 8th February 2011 at 15:58.
Old 4th February 2011, 18:00   #48
BHPian

Mesmerising is all I have to say GD. I am amazed by the pics and dying to see more. BTW, your closing statements of the previous post remind me of the daily soap opera's, running on TV's these days. Suspense! Suspense! Suspense! Keep the pics rolling, I expect a lot more coming up. Did you see a kill? If yes, then you are LUCKY.

BTW, I am forced to take a few pics off the thread and post them on my FB Page, just in order to entice my friends to join me for the much awaited trip to jungle. Placed a reference to your Team-BHP id there. Hope it's not an intellectual copyright issue
Old 4th February 2011, 18:15   #49
Senior - BHPian

Thank you traveloholic. I am mighty interested to know about the "force" that forced you to take a few pics off the thread and post it on your FB wall. Please provide me a link of that as well.

And so long you have given credit to me that is fine by me.. Intellectual copyright issue will kick-in only if those pictures are used for commercial gain..

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveloholic View Post
Mesmerising is all I have to say GD. I am amazed by the pics and dying to see more. BTW, your closing statements of the previous post remind me of the daily soap opera's, running on TV's these days. Suspense! Suspense! Suspense! Keep the pics rolling, I expect a lot more coming up. Did you see a kill? If yes, then you are LUCKY.

BTW, I am forced to take a few pics off the thread and post them on my FB Page, just in order to entice my friends to join me for the much awaited trip to jungle. Placed a reference to your Team-BHP id there. Hope it's not an intellectual copyright issue

Last edited by gd1418 : 4th February 2011 at 18:22.
Old 4th February 2011, 18:42   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Thank you traveloholic. I am mighty interested to know about the "force" that forced you to take a few pics off the thread and post it on your FB wall. Please provide me a link of that as well.
The driving force been already posted earlier "in order to entice my friends to join me for the much awaited trip to jungle"

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
And so long you have given credit to me that is fine by me.. Intellectual copyright issue will kick-in only if those pictures are used for commercial gain..
With due credit GD1418. I've placed a reference to your Team-BHP ID, when i've used the photograph. "Captured by GuruDutt (GD1418) - Team-BHP at Sariska - Lucky I say"
Old 4th February 2011, 19:03   #51
BHPian

sir
your work goes to show that the man behind the view finder is "king"
the clarity, depth of field and background is superb
the pictures of birds show extreme clarity
i would like to add that in december we went to Ranthambhore
it was a thoroughly nauseous experience with the park wardens and administration a bunch of #@*$ers ( i dont want to get thrown off the forum)
this pic has a touch of Kipling - thanx thoroughly enjoyed the safari
Attached Thumbnails
Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3750.jpg  

Old 4th February 2011, 20:29   #52
Senior - BHPian

Thank you Nikhil. Now can you give me your FB ID, so that I can you add you in my list?

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveloholic View Post
With due credit GD1418. I've placed a reference to your Team-BHP ID, when i've used the photograph. "Captured by GuruDutt (GD1418) - Team-BHP at Sariska - Lucky I say"
Thank you maverick56. Am glad that you liked the photographs.

I would say +1 to your statement. I too went to R'bhore in October and did six back-to-back safaris. I did not have a sighting. Not that I'm disappointed with that, because no one can guarantee a Tiger sighting, but the attitude of the forest officials and the gypsy cartel left a bad taste. That was one reason that I could not bring myself to write a travelogue of that visit. But sure enough I shall write so that others are better prepared if ever they plan a visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick56 View Post
sir
your work goes to show that the man behind the view finder is "king"
the clarity, depth of field and background is superb
the pictures of birds show extreme clarity
i would like to add that in december we went to Ranthambhore
it was a thoroughly nauseous experience with the park wardens and administration a bunch of #@*$ers
( i dont want to get thrown off the forum)
this pic has a touch of Kipling - thanx thoroughly enjoyed the safari
Old 4th February 2011, 22:15   #53
Senior - BHPian

We raced towards Brahmanath crossing the Kaalighati waterhole and boy was it deserted? Not a soul in sight. Something was not right. Not a sound. The jungle silence can be very very eerie. We reached the Brahmanath waterhole again and that too was deserted. We waited for a while hoping to see ST-4, because it had not quenched his thirst fully having been disturbed by the approaching third Gypsy that I mentioned earlier.

The day was coming to an end and light conditions were not good. And even with my fast lens (f/2.8) I wasn't sure of getting good shots. And I don't like to boost the ISO on my camera. I like to take pictures at ISO 100. Very rarely have I crossed ISO 200.

Till then we had only one sighting of the two cats. We were not to know that this was going to be an extremely lucky day for us. In total we had 4 sightings between 2pm and 5pm of which the second sighting was so sudden that I couldn't click pictures and by the time I had lifted the camera the cat was gone.

After a brief wait at the Brahmanath waterhole we moved towards Kaalighati through a narrow trail normally not taken by most vehicles. We all were discussing the sighting and other animals and the trail turned into a curve that suddenly Jagdish hissed - "ssshhhh..!", braked hard and cut the engine immediately. Just 5 feet ahead of the Gypsy, ST-4 languidly crossed the trail and vanished into the bushes. It all happened so suddenly that I had no chance of taking a picture. Had I anticipated or known either by way of alarm call etc., I would have been ready. Another lesson learnt. Be ever ready in the jungle. You never know. If I had taken that picture, probably that would have been the best of the lot. Perfect lighting, so very close.

ST-4 was coming back after having quenched thirst completely.

Now we knew that he would cross over to Kaalighati area and we rushed so as to reach before him & ST-2 jumped over to the other side. On the way we saw this male boar hurrying away. Normally Tigers avoid a male boar with tusks as he can stand up to a Tiger and chase him away as well. But 2 tigers against 1 male boar was an unequal equation. That's why he was hurrying away.

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3775.jpg

Hurrying male boar

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3777.jpg

We reached the tar road that bisects the jungle into two and saw the Tiger research agency gypsy parked and two other vehicles. We too parked and waited as it was almost sure that these two would cross over.

And then something happened that I had till date seen only on Discovery/Animal Planet. Suddenly the silence of the jungle was pierced by a very very loud PONK. This was a very startled Sambhar. There was a loud rustle and the Sambhar shot through the grass and with a great leap bounded off to the other side. He was probably surprised by the silent predator.

Startled Sambhar

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3778.jpg

And then we saw ST-2 emerge very very silently and stalk. Jagdish started the engine and waited and so did others. Suddenly there was a loud bellow followed by a series of yelps, and a Cheetal shot through the bushes followed by ST-2 in full flow. Oh my God, what speed, what agility, what a leap but the Cheetal proved faster and managed to escape. The hunt failed. Not a single photograph because Jagdish chased behind the cat all through. I hung to the railing with all my might because if I had even attempted to shoot, surely would have fallen down and ST-4 following behind would have taken me home..

ST-2 emerging

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3779.jpg

Looking intently at Cheetal

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3780.jpg

Stalking

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3785.jpg

The run

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3783.jpg

Failure

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3786.jpg

We too crossed over to the other side of the jungle hoping to see where the two went. Slowly first ST-2 emerged appearing very annoyed and went over the Kaalighat hill. ST-4 followed behind and lay down in the open on a trail on which no vehicles are allowed. Only the research agency gypsy was at a vantage point to see the male through an opening in the thicket. We & other gypsies couldn't see anything because it was a single lane and unless that vehicle moved nobody could go further. And he wouldn't move because his movie camera rolling. I mentioned that luck was with me on that day. Suddenly that guy looked at me and gestured me to come over to his jeep. I jumped in joy and did the unthinkable. Got down, walked to his jeep and standing beside his jeep started clicking. I shouldn't have done that - behind me was a very very angry ST-2 and wasn't visible. My guide Harisingh almost had a fit. In a hoarse whisper he asked me to climb on to that jeep. I did that and mentally kicked myself for breaking the rule.

ST - 4

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3788.jpg

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3794.jpg

And then we heard a very different roar of ST-2 from the hill. It was not the one I had heard during noon at the waterhole calling ST-4. It was an angry roar, that reverberated through the jungle sending a shiver to all those present there - about 6 gypsies with tourists. The female roared 5 times as if to tell her partner - "rascal, couldn't you've assisted me in the hunt? I am hungry".

For the first time I saw a facet of animal behaviour. That scolding made that male get up and saunter up the hill to make up for his mistake. It was 5:15 pm and light was dipping fast and with the last of the shot of ST-4 vanishing into the thicket, a very very satisfying day ended for my wife & I. This was one experience that I would not be forgetting ever.

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3796.jpg

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3799.jpg

The urge to go back again is getting stronger but other commitments take precedence. But surely will go sometime this month. Today evening Harisingh called to say that ST-3 made a kill near the entrance gate and is sitting in the thicket finishing off her meal. ST-4 has separated from ST-2 and gone his way. ST-2 was seen near Pandupol yesterday. There had been no sighting today.

I hope you have liked this travelogue. Thank you for staying with me..

The End

Last edited by gd1418 : 4th February 2011 at 22:38.
gd1418 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2011, 23:02   #54
BHPian

Quote:
We too crossed over to the other side of the jungle hoping to see where the two went. Slowly first ST-2 emerged appearing very annoyed and went over the Kaalighat hill. ST-4 followed behind and lay down in the open on a trail on which no vehicles are allowed. Only the research agency gypsy was at a vantage point to see the male through an opening in the thicket. We & other gypsies couldn't see anything because it was a single lane and unless that vehicle moved nobody could go further. And he wouldn't move because his movie camera rolling. I mentioned that luck was with me on that day. Suddenly that guy looked at me and gestured me to come over to his jeep. I jumped in joy and did the unthinkable. Got down, walked to his jeep and standing beside his jeep started clicking. I shouldn't have done that - behind me was a very very angry ST-2 and wasn't visible. My guide Harisingh almost had a fit. In a hoarse whisper he asked me to climb on to that jeep. I did that and mentally kicked myself for breaking the rule.
First of all, thank you very much for the log. Yes I surely did enjoy it

Coming to the quoted text, once way back in the mid 80's we too had a similar experience of coming across a tiger sitting on the road at dusk (it was almost dark). This happened at Chaubatiya (ahead of Ranikhet), the tiger was right there on the winding single land road sitting and waiting for its prey and we came across in a soft top jeep. The headlights blaring at the beast and its eyes were gleaming like anything !! What a humbling feeling it was as the tiger looked back at us. Only thing to do at that time was to switch off the headlights and as we did so, the tiger just got up and vanished into the thick forest. The best part of the experience was that we stayed there for 2 years and saw its pug marks almost every other day in our garden but never saw the tiger in person, it was only on the night before we were to leave Ranikhet that it graced us with its presence. Experience of a lifetime !

Thanks again for your wonderful log
Dragonov is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2011, 11:07   #55
Senior - BHPian

A very satisfying day at Sariska.

Me, I, Myself

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-1540.jpg
Old 7th February 2011, 11:28   #56
Senior - BHPian

Hi BCG,
Excellent narration and fantabulous snaps ! Could sense your excitement in every snap and felt as though I was travelling with you.
Bravo Zulu.
What I truly detested in the snaps of the Tiger & Tigresses was the rather ungainly radio collars. Looked very unnatural and gave the cats an almost domesticated look. Being a wildlife enthusiast myself I know that those collars are placed for the tigers' own good - but somehow couldn't bear to see the stripes sporting them.
Looking forward to many more of such delightful t'logues !
Old 7th February 2011, 11:51   #57
Senior - BHPian

Thank you HG. I totally agree with you, but it is us who for the love of their skin, claws, mouche hairs, penis & balls all included killed them in an uneven battle. Astride on a high perch and armed with a muzzle loader - unfair. If it had to be done, then it should have been their way - on the foot, amongst the bushes and one-to-one.

The collars are for their own good. Though I would not like them on their neck, I whole-heartedly support this. Jairam, though I don't like this pompous fool, is doing quite good for them. He has my vote. Wish everybody had similar traits and that includes Kamalnaths & Sriprakash Jaiswals of this world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Hi BCG,
Excellent narration and fantabulous snaps ! Could sense your excitement in every snap and felt as though I was travelling with you.
Bravo Zulu.
What I truly detested in the snaps of the Tiger & Tigresses was the rather ungainly radio collars. Looked very unnatural and gave the cats an almost domesticated look. Being a wildlife enthusiast myself I know that those collars are placed for the tigers' own good - but somehow couldn't bear to see the stripes sporting them.
Looking forward to many more of such delightful t'logues !
Old 13th February 2011, 11:37   #58
Senior - BHPian

gd1418,
A beautiful treat of the wild. Your photographic skills are well matched by your honest writeup's. I missed this thread as I myself was out in Pench. A real 5* thread.

The A.P. forest dept. can take a million lessons in forest conservation, generating the much needed tourism revenue and work culture from their M.P. counterparts.

A.P. forest guys SUCK.
Regards,
Old 13th February 2011, 13:21   #59
BHPian

Wow! What classy pics. I wish I had your talent in photography.
Really enjoyed your post. Fantabulous.
Old 13th February 2011, 15:07   #60
Senior - BHPian

Fazalbhai,

Thank you so much for your kind words. Have been following your thread on Pench. Jungle, never looked so beautiful before. That shot of the jungle cat at Pench is one helluva killer. Am visiting Sariska again on the 20th along with two fellow BHPians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
gd1418,
A beautiful treat of the wild. Your photographic skills are well matched by your honest writeup's. I missed this thread as I myself was out in Pench. A real 5* thread.

The A.P. forest dept. can take a million lessons in forest conservation, generating the much needed tourism revenue and work culture from their M.P. counterparts.

A.P. forest guys SUCK.
Regards,
Thank you Janjua. You are kind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janjua View Post
Wow! What classy pics. I wish I had your talent in photography.
Really enjoyed your post. Fantabulous.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed