Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2011, 06:55   #1
BHPian

Visit to Mt. Fuji - My experience in Japan

I have been to Japan number of times for my company’s work and moving around in Japan is now a childs play for me. I have visited many countries for my company’s work and things would never go wrong. My planning is very much in details that, it never goes wrong. But this time it was different, things that happen for which I was not prepared for

This travelogue is about planning going wrong and how I utilized my time in exploring Japan and that too without cash in hand.
A teaser photograph will help, but it is not being uploaded.

Next entry in one hour...
Old 6th February 2011, 07:33   #2
BHPian

Re: Visit to Mt. Fuji - My experience in Japan

Guys I am writting this travelogue from Japan as I am still stuck up in Japan.

Snaps are not getting uploaded, any way, I was in Dubai for one month from 13-Dec-10 till 11-Jan-11,
I reached home on 12-Jan-11, I really missed my family since I have one year old son, I took one week leave from my office just to be with my family, after one week when I went to my office, my boss called me and gave me my air ticket and said that I have to leave for Japan for one week for some urgent work. As I sat down to do my planning and cursing self for joining office early.

As usual I did the planning for ten days just to be on safe side, This time the Forex card was not available so I just took Japans Yen and went home, I was schedule to fly on 22/01/11.

All my trips were perfect and no ups and downs, so I was confident that this will be the same, little did I know that things will be worse.

As usual I called Meru cab and fixed my time three hours before flight. As the time for me arrive to leave, the cab has not arrived and I received a message that the cab will be late as it is struck in traffic. A delay of half hour was not a cause of worry.

I said good bye to my family and settled in the cab and we made our way to airport. There was a big traffic jam on the airport road. Now only two hour left for my flight to depart and I am stuck in traffic jam. I reached airport one and half hour before my flight. Made a mad rush to the counter and took my boarding pass, at the counter I was told that I have been selected for random check by customs dept and I have to report to customs dept. I was asked a hell lot of questions by customs, I was searched by them , my carry-in bag was checked. Once they were satisfied I proceed towards the boarding gate as it was being announced , just in time. I settled down in my seat and made myself comfortable looking ahead for my trip.
Old 6th February 2011, 07:57   #3
BHPian

First no forex card then taxi episode and come on, random customs check ? That also in a trip you didn't want to take.

Can't wait to hear more, just hope that you were able to relax at one of the hot springs and didn't have to spend nights in a box.

Last edited by San Phrangmung : 6th February 2011 at 08:00.
Old 6th February 2011, 08:29   #4
BHPian

Sometimes Murphy's law becomes applicable in life. Everything which can go wrong will go wrong but as long as nothing serious happens, it's all right. After all life is ------
Kuchh khatta kuchh meetha.

Suspense building up. Let's hear what more life had in store for you.
Old 6th February 2011, 09:54   #5
BHPian

Guys I will try to end this travelogue by today , hope so.
Anyway, reached Singapore as my flight was via Singapore, since my next flight was within an hour I stood in front of the display board searching for my next flight, It was not listed, so waited there , half an hour past by still no info, went the counter and inquired, well they gave me sill reply, My flight no. was changed and they gave me the new flight no. well now only 20 mim for departure I was – what the hell is happening, just my luck the departure gate was very close by, again made a mad rush to the gate and was able to catch the flight . made self comfortable and was in the middle of my flight when I got the second shock, My assistant did not mentioned while booking the ticket that I require Indian food, well had to settled for Japanese food, guess what had to choose between beef and pork. Chose pork as it had salad with it, left the pork and eat only salad. Well rest of the flight was un eventful. Arrived at Narita airport in the evening of 23/1/11 made my way to pick up my luggage, well there was no sign of, made some inquiry and was told that it is still in Singapore.

I took this in to my stride as I know that people in Japan will do anything to make you comfortable, I gave my hotel address and I was assured that my luggage will be dropped in to my hotel. I took the airport bus to my hotel at Shinagawa the name of my hotel was Shinagawa prince hotel, arrived at the hotel where I was told that my room was allotted to different person as I have not checked in at the mention time. After a brief talked they asked me to sit in the hotel lobby till they sort the matter.

Now I am in the hotel lobby with no luggage no room what worse can happen.
Old 6th February 2011, 10:18   #6
BHPian

Hehe, its getting even more interesting. But if things are all dot to plan sometimes it does get boring.
Old 6th February 2011, 10:19   #7
Senior - BHPian

Ohoho,

uday,
bring it fast,
btw, i think you are out of India continuously since last six months.

Baherche jewan bore zale nahi ka?
Old 6th February 2011, 10:30   #8
BHPian

Guys I am having trouble up loading snaps.

any way I got the room and settled down preparing for next days meeting.
At 8 o clock I was feeling very hungry , I know there is an Indian hotel near my hotel, went down and the the Indian hotel to have my dinner, as I approached the hotel , I saw closed sign board. The events that has happened from the beginning of my trip was not enough, but some luck was with me, I just saw Mc Donald in opposite direction and went straight there, had my fill and came back to my hotel.

In my hotel room I was just recollecting the events that had happened right from my house to this hotel and I was sure that this trip will not be easy and worse is yet to come.

Next day I had to travel to Mishima from Shinagawa, bought the Sinkasen ( bullet train ) ticket and arrived at Mishima.

Like I said at the start of this travelogue my work was for one week , and 24/1/11 was Monday, my work had started. On 24/1/11 work was very smooth, accept that the persons that I was schedule to meet and have discussion was not able to speak English or to put it in another way he knew very little English so I had to explain to him with sign language and worse his colleague neither did not know English, after a great effort the day went by peacefully but I was not ready for the statement that was said at the end of the day.

At the end of the day I was told that there will not be any work till next week as there was some problem in the factory.

Now here I am, in Japan all alone against my wishes, without my luggage ,with limited money and last but not the least no work for the whole week and to add to it I am missing my one year old son.
Old 6th February 2011, 10:38   #9
Senior - BHPian

You know what, Once a similar thing happened in my trip to Catania in Italy. My luggage was not with me. It was Sunday and next day i should be in customer place for meeting. Ofcourse, the insurance will pay up to 100USD at that time, and I can shop for the clothes. But the issue was that it was a complete blackout in southern Italy and no shops available.

Finally late evening, things became ok and I purchased new clothes.

From that day, I made sure I have a pair to change in my hand luggage. Lessons learned, hard way

Sorry, please continue with your logs.

I am sure all these small issues would have been gifted well with the worthy Fuji-san's visit. Keep them coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by udaydesai View Post
yes the food here is realy bad, you just cannot eat their food.
Sorry to differ here. Japanese food is one of the best. The thing is you should go to the right place. Believe me, you will start loving their food.

The cheapest Yakitori to costlier shabu-shabu is an excellent food for the Non-veg guys. And you do get the veg, but I have not explored much

Last edited by mjothi : 6th February 2011 at 10:44.
Old 6th February 2011, 10:39   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Phrangmung View Post
First no forex card then taxi episode and come on, random customs check ? That also in a trip you didn't want to take.

Can't wait to hear more, just hope that you were able to relax at one of the hot springs and didn't have to spend nights in a box.
There is lot more to come just wait

Quote:
Originally Posted by akj53 View Post
Sometimes Murphy's law becomes applicable in life. Everything which can go wrong will go wrong but as long as nothing serious happens, it's all right. After all life is ------
Kuchh khatta kuchh meetha.

very true

Suspense building up. Let's hear what more life had in store for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
Ohoho,

uday,
bring it fast,
btw, i think you are out of India continuously since last six months.

Baherche jewan bore zale nahi ka?
Ashish, Yes I have been out of India for long time, and I realy miss my family feeling very lonely. yes the food here is realy bad, you just cannot eat their food.
wait there is lot to write.
by the way has any one having problem up loading snaps, its getting stuck in the mid way while up loading. please do let me know.
Old 6th February 2011, 11:15   #11
BHPian

Checked into hotel in Mishima and contacted airport to inquired about my luggage and gave my new hotel address.

Japan is three and half hour ahead of India in terms of time, so still time to call my office and tell the change of plan. But my boss was in meeting and no chance of him coming out till evening.

Anyway on the lighter side, I was in Japan and will explore this small town while I am here. Ok now for the main thing – food. Like I said in the beginning that I plan everything before I make my trip. I have asked the Japanese people to find an Indian hotel for self and they did find a small Indian hotel near my hotel. Fund this small Indian hotel by the name Jeet, the cooks were Indian and the food not so good by my stomach was happy after having butter chicken with nan.

Went back to hotel to retire for the day.
Next day , as there was no work , I waited for my office to open and immediately call my boss to tell him about change of plan and hope he will call me back immediately to India and again I will be back with my family and then fly back again.

But God had some else stored for me. My boss said that I should stay back and wait for futher instruction from him, he will speak to our client and get back to me. The whole of 25/1/11 there was no call from my boss.
For me to be back with my family I have to fly back on 26/1 ( Wednesday ) so that I am at home by Wednesday night and I have two days with my family and again fly back on Saturday.

Got reply from boss and he said that I have to stay back as the client is coming for the next meeting and client wanted me to stay back. Sigh!!!! There goes my chance of getting back to India. I told my boss that I am not carrying enough cash with me, he said that he will send me money through client.

So here I am stuck in Japan all alone and worse no work, next day was 26/1 , holiday in India, and on 27/1 my boss forgets to hand over the cash to the client, by the time he realizes this the client is already at the airport, and guess what client is also not crying forex card so no money can be put into his account.

The whole week I did not move out of the hotel as I have to save money for the worse and hope something miracle would happen.
Old 6th February 2011, 12:39   #12
BHPian

Still not able to up load snaps.

The whole week I confined myself to my hotel room, I would go out only for lunch and dinner , even the hotel staff asked me why I am in my room all the time.

The food at Jeet hotel was not good and eating nan daily was also not good for health, so made a a deal with the hotel cook ( Jeet – hotel ) he will cook normal Indian food such as idly, dosa, potato, roti for me but will charge me more. My luggage arrived at my hotel, I confirmed that nothing was missing and the airport guy left.

I was really not ready for next bad thing – well read on-

Next Monday we arrived for the meeting along with our client, the meeting went on smooth and we discuses every issue and in no time we were at the end of it. At the end of the day I said that we shall be continue our meeting tomorrow. On this we were told that due to unavoidable circumstance there will not be any work for this week also and things will move only next Monday. I was stunned by this , no work for another week.

There was some heated discussion between me , my client and the person form Japanese company but we realized that there really was a big problem and we agreed to hold on till next week.

We agreed to hold on till next week only if the Japanese firm agreed to take us on sightseeing trip, they immediately agreed to it.

I immediately called my boss and explained to him the situation, but there was only one thing – How to transfer money to me.

Next day the Japanese people took us for a day tour of Tokyo- well I am not going to write about my Tokyo tour, but about my visit to Mt. Fuji.
Old 6th February 2011, 14:46   #13
BHPian

One week wasted in hotel room was too bad. It would have been nice had they taken you sightseeing from the first week itself.
Old 6th February 2011, 14:51   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Phrangmung View Post
One week wasted in hotel room was too bad. It would have been nice had they taken you sightseeing from the first week itself.
San Phrangmung I wasted two weeks in Japan and still counting.

By the way I am still having problem uploading snaps, is it that I am in Japan ?
I cannot upload my snaps to any sites. please help

uday
Old 6th February 2011, 15:05   #15
BHPian

Mt. Fuji is 3776 meters high from sea. Temperature was -8 deg , we dove for about 45 mim up to a place called Hakone which is about 45 Km from Mishima station, there are regular bus services from Mishima station to Hakone, as we started climbing the ghat the temperature started dropping we saw snow which was accumulated at the side of the road. After a drive of 45 mim we arrive at Hakone, we had to wear hand glove as the temp was below zero.

There is no direct route that goes to Mt. Fuji, but from HaKone we can see Mt. fuji at close up.

There is a Hakone-Jinja Sheine ( museum) were we spend some time , after that we went to the base of the Komaga- take mountain for the breath taking rope way ride to the top of the mountain so that we can be more closer to Mt. Fuji.
I am sorry guys but my snaps will do the talking , but unfortunately I am not able to up load it from my hotel room.

We made it to the cab of the rope way, it was also very windy once the cable car was going up the mountain the wind was so strong that the car was swinging sideways .The height of Komaga- take mountain is 1357 meters.

Most Viewed