Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2011, 11:08   #1
BHPian

In my Punto to Golden Temple Sripuram, Vellore

Friends,

I will also start with the same line " This is my first travelogue at Team BHP" though i have been a member from couple years and with great interest have been reading other team member's fun trip reports and always though when will I get a chance to write a one of my own.

Had started hearing these strange noises in my sub conscious like someone whispering in my dream that your wish has been " approved". Writing approved as with now a days office cultures " this is the only word " Approved " we want to hear often .

So started feeling " wow " finally my day has arrived to go for a joy ride. you guys must be thinking what is so great about first road trip and travelogue and why so much fuss ? and you guys are correct as well, for a guy who learnt driving on our very old Premier padmini is this a first road trip ? the Answer is No . I had couple of road trips earlier in my now sold Ford Ikon. But this time the road trip had to be special a very special one as "THIS was the first trip of Ferrari's distant cousin, my lovable RED Grande Punto 1.3 MJD.
Attached Thumbnails
In my Punto to Golden Temple Sripuram, Vellore-dsc09423-medium.jpg  

Old 7th February 2011, 15:02   #2
BHPian

re: In my Punto to Golden Temple Sripuram, Vellore

The " Day " :

Last friday came home late after a hectic day at work and enjoyed the lovely "JWB" (Keep walking) with Kenny G giving us company. Till then had no plans for the weekend. As usual got up late on saturday and was sipping some mom made hot tea and thought struck me " What i am doing at home on this lovely week end " ?

Just checked with dear wify for any commitments for the day and with her " Approval" decided to go to Golden temple in Sripuram Vellore. Decided Golden Temple coz had heard lots about it, secondly friends had told me that Banaglore- Chennai road was as smooth as butter and silk. So in a flash was ready for the ride.

Car : Grande Punto 1.3 MJD
Passengers: Mom , Dad , wife and my 1.4 year old daughter
Destination : Golden Temple Sripuram, Vellore
Starting Trip Meter : 1397
Starting time : 1 PM

Initailly had planned to leave home by 11 am, but with such a sudden plan and small kid, decently was 2 hrs late and finally left home at 1 with usual stops at ATM, Medical shop and finally hit the new electronics city flyover by 1:30 pm. Road is really very nicely done with a toll of Rs 35 for single way and was fun to drive. In no time now was on the expressway to Hosur and crossed Hosur town sometime around 2 pm.

Pit stop no 1: Stopped at kamat Upachar and had nice and delicious lunch

Resumed the journey and was now cruising at great speeds. The road as adviced was sheer fun to drive and reminded me of my student days in US, the route 66 in Oklahoma and the freeway 101 in calif.

Now something about the Car.Punto on highway is like a champagne bottle.Once you open the cork and Zooooooooooommmmmmmm it goes and " SHEER FUN" to drive. Even with full load car just pulls above 3 figure speeds with ease and still u get a feeling that there is still more available under the hood.

Finally reached vellore by 5:30 and checked into Surabi International Vellore. Hotel was decent but felt lil exhorbitant (1900 Rs / day plus tax for double room). But the food was excellant and service very prompt. So no complaints for the price.

As adviced by the Hotel staff to see the temple at night in no time left hotel by 6:30pm and reached the temple complex by 7 pm.Parked the car and then took ticket for 100 rs per head for vishesh darshan.

Special counters available to deposit all your belonging. Strickly no cell phones, cameras or cams.Best is to leave them behind in Car.

Temple complex is really very beautiful but be ready for a very long walk as you have to do a very long round about.Once you reach the central golden temple you have to just hold your breadth to belive what you are seeing. A huge big temple made of "GOLD". Sight is really very mesmerising and you tend to look at it with sheer astonishment and keep pinching youself and asking " what you are seeing is that real or you are in some dream "

Paying rs 100 actually pays off as they take you very near the diety and inside temple to explore more for the beautiful carving and shandliers on the ceiling.After about 1 hr at the temple left the temple complex and reached the hotel to relax for the day.

Next morning had a small stint into Vellore town and vellore fort and left for Bangalore by 11 am and reached Blr by 4 pm

Ending trip meter: 1858

Total disctane covered: 461 km

Hope you guys enjoyed my travelogue and request you to please let me know your views. leaving you all wit some photos of the drive. Sorry no photos of the temple.

enjoy

Cheers,

HarryB
Attached Thumbnails
In my Punto to Golden Temple Sripuram, Vellore-dsc09306-large.jpg  

In my Punto to Golden Temple Sripuram, Vellore-dsc09309-large.jpg  

In my Punto to Golden Temple Sripuram, Vellore-dsc09310-large.jpg  

In my Punto to Golden Temple Sripuram, Vellore-dsc09312-large.jpg  

In my Punto to Golden Temple Sripuram, Vellore-dsc09321-large.jpg  

In my Punto to Golden Temple Sripuram, Vellore-dsc09328-large.jpg  

In my Punto to Golden Temple Sripuram, Vellore-dsc09329-large.jpg  

In my Punto to Golden Temple Sripuram, Vellore-dsc09330-large.jpg  

In my Punto to Golden Temple Sripuram, Vellore-dsc09331-large.jpg  

In my Punto to Golden Temple Sripuram, Vellore-dsc09332-large.jpg  

In my Punto to Golden Temple Sripuram, Vellore-dsc09335-large.jpg  

In my Punto to Golden Temple Sripuram, Vellore-dsc09336-large.jpg  

In my Punto to Golden Temple Sripuram, Vellore-dsc09337-large.jpg  

In my Punto to Golden Temple Sripuram, Vellore-dsc09338-large.jpg  

In my Punto to Golden Temple Sripuram, Vellore-dsc09339-large.jpg  

In my Punto to Golden Temple Sripuram, Vellore-dsc09340-large.jpg  

In my Punto to Golden Temple Sripuram, Vellore-dsc09341-large.jpg  

In my Punto to Golden Temple Sripuram, Vellore-dsc09347-large.jpg  

In my Punto to Golden Temple Sripuram, Vellore-dsc09350-large.jpg  

In my Punto to Golden Temple Sripuram, Vellore-dsc09351-large.jpg  

In my Punto to Golden Temple Sripuram, Vellore-dsc09362-large.jpg  

In my Punto to Golden Temple Sripuram, Vellore-dsc09371-large.jpg  

In my Punto to Golden Temple Sripuram, Vellore-dsc09391-large.jpg  

In my Punto to Golden Temple Sripuram, Vellore-dsc09393-large.jpg  

In my Punto to Golden Temple Sripuram, Vellore-dsc09399-large.jpg  

In my Punto to Golden Temple Sripuram, Vellore-dsc09401-large.jpg  

In my Punto to Golden Temple Sripuram, Vellore-dsc09405-large.jpg  

In my Punto to Golden Temple Sripuram, Vellore-dsc09406-large.jpg  

In my Punto to Golden Temple Sripuram, Vellore-dsc09422-large.jpg  

In my Punto to Golden Temple Sripuram, Vellore-dsc09423-large.jpg  

Old 9th February 2011, 18:03   #3
BHPian

Re: In my Punto to Golden Temple Sripuram, Vellore

Thanks for posting your experience on visiting Vellore Golden Temple. I'm planning to visit the place this weekend.

Keep Travelling and Drive Safe!
Old 9th February 2011, 22:30   #4
BHPian

Good report. These roads make the highway trips very relaxed. The car looks good and last of all you should pen more of your trips.
Old 10th February 2011, 09:02   #5
BHPian

Thanks Megazoid.Felt good that you liked my travelogue for sure will try to pen more of these

Thanks Cliffhanger. Do let me know if you need any more information for yr trip to Golden temple Sripuram vellore.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 20 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 10th February 2011 at 09:31. Reason: Please use the EDIT function instead of posting back-to-back posts within 20 minutes. Thanks.
Old 13th February 2011, 09:40   #6
Senior - BHPian

Good report Harry. Can you explain the route to the temple? I know how to go to Vellore. But the temple is not seen properly mapped in Google Maps. How far is it from Vellore town? Can we do a single day trip from Bangalore?
Old 13th February 2011, 10:29   #7
BHPian

Great report Harry! Also nice to see some awesome roads, especially liked the sign in one of your snaps "speed ends at the cemetery"! Wonder who came up with that..very creative. What is the speed limit on these roads?
Old 13th February 2011, 10:32   #8
BHPian

Nice Report Harry.

Planning for a trip shortly. Can you give us the temple route (from vellore) & Temple timings?
Old 14th February 2011, 14:43   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfsfreak View Post
Nice Report Harry.

Planning for a trip shortly. Can you give us the temple route (from vellore) & Temple timings?
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
Good report Harry. Can you explain the route to the temple? I know how to go to Vellore. But the temple is not seen properly mapped in Google Maps. How far is it from Vellore town? Can we do a single day trip from Bangalore?
@ Nfsfreak

From vellore temple is approx 7-8 Km.As i was staying at Surabi International know the route from there.You need to ask from road named "officer Line " and follow the road straight ahead (no turns) for 7-8 Km and you will have the temple on your right

Temple timing : 8am to 8 PM.

@Jeeper 1941

Official speed limit is 80 Km/Hr, however easliy you can do 3 figure speeds with no issues

@Vasoo

One day trip is very easily possible provided you start early from Blr and you can reach Vellore in 3-4 hrs.

From vellore temple is approx 7-8 Km.As i was staying at Surabi International know the route from there.You need to ask from road named "officer Line " and follow the road straight ahead (no turns) for 7-8 Km and you will have the temple on your right
Old 14th February 2011, 16:56   #10
Team-BHP Support

All roads on the snaps! Where is the temple?
Waiting to see!
Old 15th February 2011, 13:32   #11
Senior - BHPian

Where are the pictures of the temple?The travelogue has been "roaded" with road pictures!Looking forward to the pictures of the temple.
Old 15th February 2011, 17:01   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Where are the pictures of the temple?The travelogue has been "roaded" with road pictures!Looking forward to the pictures of the temple.
Guys,

There is strict NO NO to camera's or handy Cam inside temple premises.so dont have any photos.

However pls find below link to temple website and amazing video on golden temple on youtube

Golden temple - South Indian temple - AMMA - Sripuram - Vellore

Cheers,

HarryB
Old 15th February 2011, 19:00   #13
Team-BHP Support

So one cant even take snaps of the surroundings?
Thats too bad!
Old 17th February 2011, 12:07   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryB View Post

@Vasoo

One day trip is very easily possible provided you start early from Blr and you can reach Vellore in 3-4 hrs.

Thanks Harry. Did you comeback straight from the temple or went to Vellore town again? I was looking a for a route which does not touch Vellore town.
Old 17th February 2011, 13:03   #15
BHPian

Hey Harry,
Nothing gives a driver a gr8 pleasure that the traveling with a lovely car on a gr8 highway with family inside. I went to vellore but before I got the car. Now about the temple it is truly amazing. Your eyes shall freeze looking at the gold there which is said to be approx 2000kgs+.You can imagine how other temples in India looked like before they were looted by Mughals and Britishers alike.

Every thing is maintained nicely and is impeccable but only with 1 sore point. The Deity has less importance than the owner (cum politician) here. You shall see his photos more in temple that the goddess herself! It makes one said that to see that the owner's photo is placed just beside Idol with him smiling without joining hands in front of the goddess making him appear as if he is one of the gods(which is true for today's politicians). This temple is fairly new - approx 3+ years old. Sorry for OT but could help expressing my opinion looking at the flamboyance displayed there. Though owner is involved in various charity works which is indeed a good gesture as a human though. I wish if all politicians use their ill gotten wealth is good works like this.

Last edited by Anandg : 17th February 2011 at 13:07.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks