Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2011, 09:20   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Chennai - Madurai - Alagar Kovil - Munnar - Thanjavur - Chennai

rajushank84, Nice travelogue Munnar trip has been in mind for quite sometime. How is the weather these days. Am traevelling with my one year old, dont want her to catch cold there.

About the fog, did you have you headlight on ? (In dim ofcourse) If not help you directly, would atleast lets know the vehicle opposite to spot you better than honk.

BTW, am surprised you crossed MDU in 1/2 hour in your return !! Which route did you take ?

One more question, is there a ramp to the Samayanallur-Kappalur bypass from Madurai-Theni road (NH49) ?
Old 14th February 2011, 17:35   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
rajushank84, Nice travelogue Munnar trip has been in mind for quite sometime. How is the weather these days. Am traevelling with my one year old, dont want her to catch cold there.

About the fog, did you have you headlight on ? (In dim ofcourse) If not help you directly, would atleast lets know the vehicle opposite to spot you better than honk.

BTW, am surprised you crossed MDU in 1/2 hour in your return !! Which route did you take ?

One more question, is there a ramp to the Samayanallur-Kappalur bypass from Madurai-Theni road (NH49) ?
Thanks. It was quite foggy/misty last week. But not that chill. Yes, I did have my headlights on, to be visible to other vehicles.

I went straight through Madurai - from Theni, took the bridge onto Alagar Kovil road and then followed the boards that pointed to Chennai.

Sorry I didn't notice Samayanallur/Kappalur... I wasn't watching the nameboards (and busy overtaking trucks) in this stretch as I was sure of my direction towards Theni / towards Madurai.
Old 14th February 2011, 17:57   #33
BHPian

rajushank84,
Thanks for the pictures, your travelogue and pictures brought some nostalgic moments. I have spent a good 15 years of my lifetime in Madurai and this being the longest in any city I lived. So Madurai has a special place in my life. Good to know you have visited this city of temples.
Old 14th February 2011, 18:41   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride_4_Fortune View Post
rajushank84,
Thanks for the pictures, your travelogue and pictures brought some nostalgic moments. I have spent a good 15 years of my lifetime in Madurai and this being the longest in any city I lived. So Madurai has a special place in my life. Good to know you have visited this city of temples.
Thanks. After this trip Madurai has a special place in my memory too. The main thing I love about this place is the people - though they have a reputation of being tough, I noticed they are not unnecessarily rude or abrasive. In fact they are polite to strangers.
Old 15th February 2011, 10:58   #35
Senior - BHPian

SN Tourist Home is my favourite budget hotel in Munnar, reasonably priced. But it is bad news that they do not supply hot water. They also have a little more upmarket hotel called SN Annexe. Was the hotel full? Did you have to do advance booking?

Where exactly was the road diverted between Sirkazhi & Chidambaram? How were buses going? I don't see any traffic in the 1-laner dirt roads that you have taken? Are there alternative routes to the alternative route too!!?
Old 15th February 2011, 13:43   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
SN Tourist Home is my favourite budget hotel in Munnar, reasonably priced. But it is bad news that they do not supply hot water. They also have a little more upmarket hotel called SN Annexe. Was the hotel full? Did you have to do advance booking?

Where exactly was the road diverted between Sirkazhi & Chidambaram? How were buses going? I don't see any traffic in the 1-laner dirt roads that you have taken? Are there alternative routes to the alternative route too!!?
I didn't know about SN Annexe. I did advance-book SN tourist home. They had hot water only between 7 to 9 AM/PM, so it was very inconvenient having to plan around that esp. in the evening. But most impacting was the credit card aspect, I wish the person had told the truth when I specifically asked about this when booking. "No room service" was also surprising and inconvenient. One of the main things I look forward to in a holiday is ordering bed coffee / breakfast. Anyway, despite all this we had a good time.

About the 1-lane road: When coming from Sirkazhi, there is a huge board saying "ROAD CLOSED" straight ahead, where apparently a bridge was being built. There was another signboard saying Karaikal to the right side. We had no intention of going to Karaikal, so we were forced to ignore the "ROAD CLOSED" sign and go straught ahead. There we asked one of the construction workers how to get to Chidambaram, and he directed us to go through the village. However on hindsight, I guess the Karaikal road might have some other left turn that would join the Chidambaram road. That must be the case, because we saw a lot of buses plying between Sirkazhi and Chidambaram.
Old 15th February 2011, 14:35   #37
Senior - BHPian

^^ Did you spot this "road closed" sign while approaching Sirkazhi from Mayiladuthurai? Then it must have been the by-pass road for Sirkazhi. Because there is no problem with the main road passing through the town. I know, because I hail from there!
Old 15th February 2011, 14:41   #38
Senior - BHPian

Yes, I was coming from the Mayiladuthurai direction.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks