Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2013, 13:16   #196
Senior - BHPian

Re: Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Why Qualji? Because it is home to the biggest & meanest male in the entire Ranthambhore reserve - Fateh or T 42. A highly temperamental & skittish fellow, is known to get provoked even at the slightest intrusion. Has been known to attack the jeeps and no, they are not mock charges.

Thus ended a very fruitful trip. Hope you enjoyed this travelogue.
Wonderful account of the trip Guru sir. As always I enjoyed reading the narrations and viewing the pictures.
I hope that next week we too are luck to have enough sightings.
Fingers crossed.

Quote:
Before the National Parks close for the monsoons from 1st July to 30th September, the last of my trip before this season ends commences on 18th June.

We are six in total who will be doing six safaris. Of the other five, two are my school classmates, one a TBHPian and the other two are brothers and are from my wildlife group.

Our itinerary:

18th June - departure around 4:30 am and arrival by 11 or 12 pm

18th June - afternoon safari - 6 persons - full gypsy (preferably Zone 2)

19th June - morning & noon safari - 6 persons - full gypsy (preferably morning Zone 3 & noon zone 4)

20th June - morning & noon safari - 6 persons - full gypsy (preferably morning Zone 5 & noon zone 3)

21st June - morning - 6 persons - full gypsy (preferably morning Zone 2)

Departure to Gurgaon/Delhi by 1 pm. Can't wait. As the date comes nearer, excitement levels going higher..!
Sir very eagerly looking forward to this trip.
From the itinerary I've observed that we wouldn't be visiting Qualji.
Can this excursion be accommodated in this trip? Still if it can't be, the itinerary is perfect.
Looking forward.
Cheers
Old 13th June 2013, 21:28   #197
Senior - BHPian

Thank you Harjeev. We surely should have sightings and good ones too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post

Wonderful account of the trip Guru sir. As always I enjoyed reading the narrations and viewing the pictures.

I hope that next week we too are luck to have enough sightings.
Fingers crossed.
Me too eagerly waiting for the date to arrive. I've deliberately kept Qualji out of the itinerary since a few showers have happened and it would all be very slushy due to the clay like soil there. In the event of Fateh getting upset, it will be difficult to..... you know what I mean..!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post

Sir very eagerly looking forward to this trip.

From the itinerary I've observed that we wouldn't be visiting Qualji.

Can this excursion be accommodated in this trip? Still if it can't be, the itinerary is perfect.

Looking forward.
Cheers
gd1418 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2013, 11:37   #198
BHPian

I was so much hooked to your post and if you had kept writing, I would have simply kept reading. The pictures felt to me as if I was doing the safari. Excellent ones.

That guy T42 sounds scary. Is there a possibility that he comes into other zones? Is there a real incident of any attacks by him? I'm wondering what makes him chase the vehicles? If you see the video that I posted here a couple of pages before, the person in the vehicle clearly provoked T42 to start chasing them. I mean, the person in the vehicle raised his arm with the camera and that one incident instigated the animal instinct in the Tiger. Since then, it kept following the jeep and at one point where it lost contact with the jeep because of the curve in the road, it became the perfect gesture for a Tiger where it leaps out from a hidden ambush and sprints to its prey. The same thing happened in the video too. To me it looks like it is because of us, the visitors, he became a vehicle chaser.
Old 14th June 2013, 13:45   #199
Senior - BHPian

T42 is scary and one should be wary of him. There have been many instances of his attack and in fact if you read my Qualji post, the driver Reddy's jeep suffered an attack by him in which the metal of the bonnet got ripped. And I wanted to meet him head-on. I might squeeze a chance to go again to Qualji in this trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post

I was so much hooked to your post and if you had kept writing, I would have simply kept reading. The pictures felt to me as if I was doing the safari. Excellent ones.

That guy T42 sounds scary. Is there a possibility that he comes into other zones? Is there a real incident of any attacks by him? I'm wondering what makes him chase the vehicles? If you see the video that I posted here a couple of pages before, the person in the vehicle clearly provoked T42 to start chasing them. I mean, the person in the vehicle raised his arm with the camera and that one incident instigated the animal instinct in the Tiger. Since then, it kept following the jeep and at one point where it lost contact with the jeep because of the curve in the road, it became the perfect gesture for a Tiger where it leaps out from a hidden ambush and sprints to its prey. The same thing happened in the video too. To me it looks like it is because of us, the visitors, he became a vehicle chaser.
Old 14th June 2013, 19:59   #200
BHPian

Quote:
T42 is scary and one should be wary of him. There have been many instances of his attack and in fact if you read my Qualji post, the driver Reddy's jeep suffered an attack by him in which the metal of the bonnet got ripped. And I wanted to meet him head-on. I might squeeze a chance to go again to Qualji in this trip.
You should be daring to do this! Good luck! I hope that T42 shows up during your trip!
joe1980 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2013, 11:40   #201
Senior - BHPian

This is what Fateh - T 42 did recently in Qualji. Shows how daring & ferocious he is:

Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!-t42.jpg
Old 18th June 2013, 19:13   #202
BHPian

Very keen to know about Gurudutt's safari today. I was told by someone that it has been raining in Ranthambhore. Hope the famous luck of Gurudutt stood by him. All the very best to him and Harjeev!
llamrei is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2013, 07:47   #203
Team-BHP Support

Hello people,

TLs like these have inspired us to visit Ranthambhore this weekend

We plan to reach Ranthambhore either Thursday night or Friday morning.

I was looking at booking the safaris; it says there are 4 zones: Balas, Kundal, Chidikho and Ranthambhore NP Zone. Which one should we reserve? I read somewhere that you can't enter unless you have a reservation.

We are looking at the evening safari on Friday and Saturday and morning safari on Saturday and sunday.

Any suggestions on canter/gypsy? We are 3 of us.

Any other suggestions welcome!
Old 19th June 2013, 13:18   #204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Hello people,

I was looking at booking the safaris; it says there are 4 zones: Balas, Kundal, Chidikho and Ranthambhore NP Zone. Which one should we reserve? I read somewhere that you can't enter unless you have a reservation.

We are looking at the evening safari on Friday and Saturday and morning safari on Saturday and sunday.

In my trips so far, I have stuck to gypsy's in general. Though I did one safari in a canter sometime back due to non-availabilty of seats when I tried booking online. The main issue with canters is that they are huge, make a lot of noise and if there is a sighting of anything interesting all the people climb on top of you to get the best vantage point.
I would be there this Saturday and Sunday. I just hope that it does not rain.

Cheers
Old 22nd June 2013, 09:10   #205
Senior - BHPian

GD Sahab,

You and your Nikon continue to do wonders!

Some nice close shots with the big cats, Zalim Singh intimidated because of another male tiger in his personal space with a Nikon.

Machli looking at you, fatal attraction.

Sher hi sher ko pehchaan sakta hai, but beware when you are there with Harjeev, you have competition.

Very narrative and soaking travelogue and great pics.
Regards,
fazalaliadil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2013, 12:24   #206
Senior - BHPian

My apologies to all. Accessed TBHP today and missed out on all these posts. The Net connection in Ranthambhore is suspect. Airtel 3G works wonderfully but Vodaphone 3G is kind of on & off. MTNL/BSNL is pathetic. My MTNL's 3G Jadoo dongle didn't work even a single day.

Logged on only to my email on the laptop for a short while daily by creating a hot-spot on my iPhone.

Sir, the weather was beautiful when we arrived. Cloud cover and cool breeze. Awesome in general but absolutely bad as far as Tiger sighting was concerned. These freak rains had filled all the water-holes deep inside the jungle and the Tigers had no reason to wander out. To add to the misery, it was the greenest R'bhore in the middle of June. The forest looks like this in October. In May when I had gone it was all grey, brown, barren & dry. Within a span of 10 days all changed.

Hence no sighting at all in Zone 3 on 18th evening. And at Singhdwaar got to know that there wasn't any sighting in Zones 1, 2, 4 & 5 either. Some consolation eh?

And yes Sir, that "famous luck" didn't desert me... Details in travelogue. Will be writing soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamrei View Post

Very keen to know about Gurudutt's safari today. I was told by someone that it has been raining in Ranthambhore. Hope the famous luck of Gurudutt stood by him. All the very best to him and Harjeev!
Thank you libran. Since I've seen this post now, the answers of course shall not be relevant now, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Hello people,

I agree totally about the Canter part. I never ever take one.

It hasn't rained since the 18th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddychat View Post

In my trips so far, I have stuck to gypsy's in general. Though I did one safari in a canter sometime back due to non-availabilty of seats when I tried booking online. The main issue with canters is that they are huge, make a lot of noise and if there is a sighting of anything interesting all the people climb on top of you to get the best vantage point.

I would be there this Saturday and Sunday. I just hope that it does not rain.

Cheers
Thank you Fazalbhai. Aur kuch bhi.. Zalim Singh & intimidated? That too by me? Kya Fazalbhai..

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post

GD Sahab,

You and your Nikon continue to do wonders!

Some nice close shots with the big cats, Zalim Singh intimidated because of another male tiger in his personal space with a Nikon.

Machli looking at you, fatal attraction.
Bahut serious competition tha par mera anubhav mere kaam aaya.. Lagta hai agale season mein territorial fight hoga..

Ab umar ho gayi hai. 300mm Vs 100~400 L series mein winner abhi se decide ho gaya hai lagta hai.

Scorpio LX 4x4 Vs LC 80 4x4 mein winner ka pata to chal hi gaya mujhe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post

Sher hi sher ko pehchaan sakta hai, but beware when you are there with Harjeev, you have competition.

Very narrative and soaking travelogue and great pics.
Regards,

Last edited by gd1418 : 22nd June 2013 at 12:26.
gd1418 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2013, 11:04   #207
BHPian

Are you going to post yet another set of pictures? Did you do another set of safari rides? I'm so curious and eager to see it coming.
Old 24th June 2013, 11:35   #208
Senior - BHPian

I have not at all posted any pictures of my latest trip. Yet to start the travelogue after sorting out the pictures. Hope to do so from this evening.

Please bear with me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post

Are you going to post yet another set of pictures? Did you do another set of safari rides? I'm so curious and eager to see it coming.
Old 24th June 2013, 12:51   #209
Senior - BHPian

Things are not at all good at Ranthambhore and it seems that the authorities are unconcerned about it. Neither they admit the mishaps nor do they do anything to set it right.

23rd June, 2013

Asha Ram Berwa s/o Gayarsi Berwa, aged 22 was attacked & mauled by Fateh or T 42 (Male of Qualji), when he was searching for his buffalo near some farm around the Devpura Dam. Currently recuperating in a hospital and out of danger.

A classic case of man-animal conflict. Why don't the authorities take measures to stop cattle grazing in the forest?

Injured Villager

Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!-1.jpg

Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!-2.jpg

Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!-3.jpg

I am surprised that this villager lived to tell the tale. T 42 is the biggest Tiger of Ranthambhore.

* Information courtesy Dhirendra Godha, Samachar Jagat

23rd June, 2013

This news item appeared in the Dainik Bhaskar of Jaipur. It is self-explanatory.

Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!-4.jpg

Many Tigers have simply vanished or have remained untraceable over the last few years.

T 31

T 21

T 29

T 27

T 40

T 17

T 14

Two cubs of T 13

Almost a dozen Tigers. When will the administration wake-up?
gd1418 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th June 2013, 13:29   #210
BHPian

Quote:
Asha Ram Berwa s/o Gayarsi Berwa, aged 22 was attacked & mauled by Fateh or T 42 (Male of Qualji), when he was searching for his buffalo near some farm around the Devpura Dam. Currently recuperating in a hospital and out of danger.

A classic case of man-animal conflict. Why don't the authorities take measures to stop cattle grazing in the forest?
This is indeed very sad and will further increase the negativity around Tigers and wildlife in general.

The fact remains that with the Tiger corridors being cut off due to human inhabitation, Tigers are being forced in an increasingly smaller areas and with higher concentration - and the natural fallout of this is both higher tiger conflicts for territories and also spill out for search of territory free from other (Tiger) rivals thereby leading to man-animal conflicts.

R'bhore has reached a saturation in the number of tigers it can hold and perhaps it is time for a central "Tiger" conservation strategy instead of individual states looking at their (tourism) interests.

Tigers should be rehabilitated in other jungles which can hold them peacefully (relatively) away from human contact/conflict.
sach.sri is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed