Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2013, 11:34   #241
BHPian

Re: Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!

Thanks GD sir for sharing the pictures with us. I am planning to be back sometime in November. Till then.
Old 9th August 2013, 13:26   #242
Senior - BHPian

I guess, now it can be told here. Sundari or T 17's sudden disappearance without a trace leaving behind her three 13 month old cubs in April was a bothering news for most of the wildlife lovers.

Personal initiative by Ms. Bina Kak the State Minister for Forests in trying to trace the Big Cat also proved futile. Finally we all presumed her to be dead, but neither the RTR's officials nor the Forest department confirmed this.

As the time for the monsoon session of the Parliament neared I got an opportunity. Somebody informed me that a Member of Parliament asks questions on the floor of the House during the session on any matter and if the question is accepted then the Govt., has to give an answer.

With hope in the heart I drafted a question, based on the format of questions asked previously, on the disappearance of Sundari and also of some other Big Cats.

An acquaintance in the Parliament of India agreed to help me and said that he will try to introduce this question through some MP in the Rajya Sabha. He was successful and the question was listed for answer on 8th August, 2013.

Q No. 496

Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!-t17_qstn.jpg

What warmed my heart was that a few MPs are aware & concerned about the fate of the Big Cat in the country. Question Nos. 497, 499 & 500 bear testimony to that.

The Union Minister of State for Environment & Forests, Smt. Jayanti Natarajan responded. I did not expect this pathetic & unconvincing answer. It seems the Central Govt., left it on the State for a routine and cliched answer.

Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!-t17_reply.jpg

I AM DISAPPOINTED..!

p.s: The answer by the Minister in points B & C where she mentione "revenge killing" has foxed me totally. Will the Tiger experts explain that this behaviour, typical to primates & humans, is also found in Big Cats or for that matter other animals too?

Last edited by gd1418 : 9th August 2013 at 13:30.
Old 9th August 2013, 16:00   #243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
I guess, now it can be told here.

With hope in the heart I drafted a question, based on the format of questions asked previously, on the disappearance of Sundari and also of some other Big Cats.

An acquaintance in the Parliament of India agreed to help me and said that he will try to introduce this question through some MP in the Rajya Sabha. He was successful and the question was listed for answer on 8th August, 2013.

The Union Minister of State for Environment & Forests, Smt. Jayanti Natarajan responded. I did not expect this pathetic & unconvincing answer. It seems the Central Govt., left it on the State for a routine and cliched answer.

[/i]

Great initiative sirji. At least you tried - and hopefully, the matter will not end and situation will improve in sometime.

sach.sri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2013, 13:08   #244
BHPian

Quote:
I guess, now it can be told here. Sundari or T 17's sudden disappearance without a trace leaving behind her three 13 month old cubs in April was a bothering news for most of the wildlife lovers.

Personal initiative by Ms. Bina Kak the State Minister for Forests in trying to trace the Big Cat also proved futile. Finally we all presumed her to be dead, but neither the RTR's officials nor the Forest department confirmed this.

As the time for the monsoon session of the Parliament neared I got an opportunity. Somebody informed me that a Member of Parliament asks questions on the floor of the House during the session on any matter and if the question is accepted then the Govt., has to give an answer.

Great initiative GD Sir. My wife pointed me out to Bina Kak's facebook page and I must say that Rajasthan must consider itself lucky that it has such an efficient and active minister for forests. As you had pointed out she was primarily responsible for carrying out the search for Sundari.
On a different note I must say that the minister's answer is blasphemous to say the least and just goes to show that you really need not have ever visited a forest to become minister of forests.

Cheers
Old 14th August 2013, 13:27   #245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

p.s: The answer by the Minister in points B & C where she mentione "revenge killing" has foxed me totally. Will the Tiger experts explain that this behaviour, typical to primates & humans, is also found in Big Cats or for that matter other animals too?

Great initiative sir. Revenge killing may be by the villagers - killing in retaliation to a wild animal killing their livestock. But a politician blaming a villager is a rare phenomenon - unless this letter was drafted by the forest department and was cleared with just a cursory glance by the ministry

Disappointed by the formula response from the Ministry. Since the reply would most probably come from Ranthambore forest department, it would be interesting if we can get some insider information as to what the department had originally submitted as a reply
Old 30th September 2013, 10:34   #246
BHPian

Dear GD sir, I am planning to do Gurgaon-Ranthambore (13th to 16th October 2013)- can you suggest the best route for the same?
Old 30th September 2013, 11:43   #247
Senior - BHPian

Route:

Gurgaon - NH8 - Kapriwas by-pass ( just a kilometre before exit to Dharuhera) - Bhiwadi - Tijara - Alwar by-pass - Bandikui - Sikandra - NH11 (Agra - Bharatpur - Jaipur - Bikaner highway) - Dausa - Lalsot - Sawai Madhopur.

The Bhiwadi - Alwar road is a Megahighway with three tolls on the way. At the first toll at Bhiwadi buy a token for Rs. 82/- all the way to Alwar and retain the receipt as you will have to show it at the next two tolls. When you cross the third toll, after a few kilometres, you will come to a crossing where you can see the Big Blue Ashok Leyland symbol. Take a left turn and this is the Alwar by-pass. Keep on driving straight without turning anywhere; you shall cross a Rly crossing and then after some distance you climb a bridge and after you come down the bridge you shall reach a T point.

From the T-point take a left turn and drive straight via Bandikui to Sikandra intersection on NH11. Take a right at the intersection on the highway and you will get a toll. Cross that toll and drive straight to Dausa - Lalsot & Sawai Madhopur. Excellant roads except for a brief patch near Lalsot. I don't know if they have repaired it by now or not.

Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!-route.jpg

You can also refer to my earlier posts here where I have in detail discussed the route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtonMeter View Post

Dear GD sir, I am planning to do Gurgaon-Ranthambore (13th to 16th October 2013)- can you suggest the best route for the same?

Last edited by gd1418 : 30th September 2013 at 11:45.
Old 1st October 2013, 11:38   #248
BHPian

Quote:
Route:

Gurgaon - NH8 - Kapriwas by-pass ( just a kilometre before exit to Dharuhera) - Bhiwadi - Tijara - Alwar by-pass - Bandikui - Sikandra - NH11 (Agra - Bharatpur - Jaipur - Bikaner highway) - Dausa - Lalsot - Sawai Madhopur.

The Bhiwadi - Alwar road is a Megahighway with three tolls on the way. At the first toll at Bhiwadi buy a token for Rs. 82/- all the way to Alwar and retain the receipt as you will have to show it at the next two tolls. When you cross the third toll, after a few kilometres, you will come to a crossing where you can see the Big Blue Ashok Leyland symbol. Take a left turn and this is the Alwar by-pass. Keep on driving straight without turning anywhere; you shall cross a Rly crossing and then after some distance you climb a bridge and after you come down the bridge you shall reach a T point.

From the T-point take a left turn and drive straight via Bandikui to Sikandra intersection on NH11. Take a right at the intersection on the highway and you will get a toll. Cross that toll and drive straight to Dausa - Lalsot & Sawai Madhopur. Excellant roads except for a brief patch near Lalsot. I don't know if they have repaired it by now or not.

Attachment 1145530

You can also refer to my earlier posts here where I have in detail discussed the route.
Excellent information sir! thank you, now i will bother you with follwoing information :
1. what is the best zone to enter from?
2. Do we have elephant safari option?
3. Is RTDC hotel Jhoomar Baori charging 5400 per night per room worh it? if not any recommended place to stay?
4. Only Canter permits are now available:( can the hotel we book aquire Gypsy permit for us? (we are 2 couples)

thank you again.

Last edited by newtonMeter : 1st October 2013 at 11:40. Reason: addition information needed
Old 1st October 2013, 12:16   #249
Senior - BHPian

My answers for each point below in bold..

Quote:

Excellent information sir! thank you, now i will bother you with follwoing information :

1. what is the best zone to enter from?

In order of preference it is Zone 2, 3, 4 & 5.

Zone 1 is the smallest one but the least visited. But let me tell you that you can't demand zones. It is a random allotment on the spot just before the start of each safari everyday. Now this is the official position. If you stand firm and create an impression of causing a ruckus with your hotel/resort person or safari organiser, you might get the zone of your choice.

2. Do we have elephant safari option?

NO

3. Is RTDC hotel Jhoomar Baori charging 5400 per night per room worh it? if not any recommended place to stay?

IMO, absolutely no. But at that price if luck favours you then you might see T 24 (the killer) on its property. But don't go on foot (you'll be either his B'fast, lunch or dinner) as Jhoomer officials won't allow anyone to venture out at dusk & dawn on foot.

Now coming to the point of any other place to stay, I've a different take on lodging. For me if I'm going to go for a jungle safari then that is of primary importance and I would like to do as much safari as possible in a limited amount of money at my disposal. So, my requirements are very basic - a clean AC room with bathroom and that's it. Nothing fancy or frilly.

I always stay at www.jungleviewresort.com and Guddu Bhai the owner takes good care of me. He has 4 rooms and 8 swiss tents. I prefer the room; don't want a peeping leopard or a monitor lizard in the tent.

You can check with him (with my reference) if he has vacancy and if he can arrange jeep safaris.

4. Only Canter permits are now available:( can the hotel we book aquire Gypsy permit for us? (we are 2 couples)

You will have to check with them.. Also a bit of suggestion; at an extra cost of 600 odd rs. per safari you can get a guide of your choice. You may ask for my guide Rajesh Gujjar alias Naatu. https://www.facebook.com/rajesh.gujar.58?fref=ts

thank you again.

Last edited by gd1418 : 1st October 2013 at 12:31.
Old 11th October 2013, 14:01   #250
Senior - BHPian

Six months have passed since Sundari or T 17 disappeared suddenly without any trace orpahning her 13 month old cubs. Efforts were made to trace her but in vain. Many theories emerged but could not be proved.

The forest department took an ostrich like stance and did not and till date have not declared that she is dead and gone for ever.

Slowly some facts are emerging and they are extremely shocking. Some source sent me a news cutting that I'm posting here:

Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!-t17_inquiry.jpg

You all can draw your own conclusions. As for me, I'm thoroughly disgusted and appalled.

On a happier note Ranthambhore's population is growing. Laila or T 41 has given birth and so has T 8. Both the mother & cub should be the show-stopper this season.

Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!-cubs.jpg

Last edited by gd1418 : 11th October 2013 at 14:07.
gd1418 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2013, 22:04   #251
Senior - BHPian

Thank you GD Sahab for this very nice and informative thread. Now I have a little doubt that I would really appreciate if some clarifies here.

We are a party of 4 planning to visit Ranthambhore on 10-12 Jan 2014. We have already done the safari bookings online. But one thing I cannot understand is, even though we have booked Gypsy, I am not sure how much additional will have to paid apart from Rs 400 that is mentioned as Gypsy's entry charges.

So do I still have to book a gypsy or have I already been allotted one and they will come and pick me up from the hotel on the safari day.

Do I have to pay anything more apart from the 400 entry charge. I believe I have to, but I am not getting any info on this.

If I still have to get hold of a gypsy can anyone help me out with contacts.

Thanks in advance.
Old 17th October 2013, 06:59   #252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
Thank you GD Sahab for this very nice and informative thread. Now I have a little doubt that I would really appreciate if some clarifies here. We are a party of 4 planning to visit Ranthambhore on 10-12 Jan 2014. We have already done the safari bookings online. But one thing I cannot understand is, even though we have booked Gypsy, I am not sure how much additional will have to paid apart from Rs 400 that is mentioned as Gypsy's entry charges. So do I still have to book a gypsy or have I already been allotted one and they will come and pick me up from the hotel on the safari day. Do I have to pay anything more apart from the 400 entry charge. I believe I have to, but I am not getting any info on this. If I still have to get hold of a gypsy can anyone help me out with contacts. Thanks in advance.
Yes , you will have to pay additional money apart from the 400 you have paid. The payment happens at the booking office where you would be alloyed the gypsy and the guide automatically. You will also get a zone (1-5) automatically. Once you have been allotted the gypsy number and guide name you will then have to pay the additional money to the guide who will be also there at the booking office. You will also tell the guide the pick up point or you can board from the office itself. Your hotel can get this sorted out by May be charging a service fee.
newtonMeter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2013, 13:12   #253
Senior - BHPian

Hi, did you make the trip to RTR as planned? If so, where is the travelogue of your experience?

Quote:

The Forest Department has finished the numbering of the new arrivals in Ranthambhore. While this doesn't include the recently born cubs, all the sub-adults of the last two years have been allotted numbers.

Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!-rtrcubs.jpg

Last edited by gd1418 : 17th October 2013 at 13:23.
Old 18th October 2013, 13:28   #254
Senior - BHPian

Finally the Forest authorities have woken-up and have done the 'naamkaran' ceremony of the nameless Tigers of RTR. Now we don't have to refer to some Tiger as - arre, woh T 19 ka bachcha hai...!

Courtesy: Dhirendra Godha, Samachar Jagat

Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!-rtr_id.jpg
Old 16th January 2014, 12:16   #255
Senior - BHPian

This should be a good news for the tourists as well as the wildlifers. Ranthambhore has opened one more zone for the public. Currently 9 zones were open to public:

Zone 1, 4 & 5 - near Singhdwaar

Zone 2 & 3 - At the footsteps of the Fort

Zone 6 - Kundaal

Zone 7 - Baalas

Zone 8 - Chidi Kho

Zone 9 - Qualji

Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!-zone-10.jpg

courtesy: Shri Dhirendra Godha, Samachar Jagat

Currently T 43 (male) and T 13 (female) with her 4 cubs, occupy this new zone.
gd1418 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks