The heat of Guwahati makes me want to go back to Shillong

& start a lazy day at CP restaurent.

`
Attached Thumbnails
₪ On the Road: Guwahati - Shillong [photologue]-x.jpg  

Old 7th April 2011, 01:48   #62
BHPian

Re: ₪ On the Road: Guwahati - Shillong [photologue]

seems like my ucp has gone kaput, cannot send or recv PMs. contact me at 9954093449 after 11 april
Old 17th April 2011, 00:26   #63
BHPian

San, send a sms to 9954093449 or 09902341319, i will call you back.
Old 26th March 2015, 19:47   #64
Senior - BHPian

Bumping up an old thread.

The road from Guwahati to Shillong is 95% complete and is a beauty to drive on. I have been traveling on this road since 1981 every 2-3 years with my wife to meet her parents, so the difference I have seen is phenomenal. Now it takes 2.5 hours from Umroi airport to home where earlier it used to take about 4 hours.

A small distace of 3-4 kms at Umsning is not yet done but the land acquisition has now been completed and work will likely to get over in another 6 months or so.

From Unsning to Shillong there is only a 2 lane road and there is no plans to widen this. But mostly the truck traffic branches off at Umsning on the bypass (which is also great) to Silchar and from there to Manipur, Mizoram and Tripura.

Will post a few pictures on my way back first week of April.

OT - traffic in Shillong sucks big time. The sheer volume of cars on the road is too much for the narrow roads. But the discipline of the drivers here is commendable. As a Banglorean I feel I'm in a foreign country the way 99% of drivers follow lane discipline. And ALL number plates of ML 05 have the same font and size. No fancy plates here.
Old 8th January 2016, 14:50   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Bumping up an old thread.

A small distace of 3-4 kms at Umsning is not yet done but the land acquisition has now been completed and work will likely to get over in another 6 months or so.

OT - traffic in Shillong sucks big time. The sheer volume of cars on the road is too much for the narrow roads. But the discipline of the drivers here is commendable. .

A few more updates from my recent visit to Shillong. The Umsning stretch is still 2 way and I did not see any indication of work in progress in this stretch. So, guess it will stay that way for a few more years to come. Although, the traffic kept moving and there was no jams on this stretch.

Other than this 3-4 kms, the road is awesome. It was a welcome change to see well asphalted roads after seeing the state of roads in Mumbai. Bear in mind there is some repair ongoing near Guwahati - so, factor in additional time in case you want to make it to the airport and avoid missing the flight.

the discipline of the drivers within the city is commendable. Considering the roads a quite narrow, any one person trying to act smart can bring the traffic to a standstill - which never happened btw. Another point to note: there are no auto-rickshaws! Does this play its part in the discipline in the state? Or is it just the clean mountain air which keeps the drivers disciplined

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks