Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2011, 15:51   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Paris, Black Forest, Bavaria & Switzerland

Awesome really. One can print this and carry along instead of a tourist guide book Thanks for the detailed log...Hope to meet u in Pune now.
Old 8th July 2011, 16:07   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Awesome really. One can print this and carry along instead of a tourist guide book Thanks for the detailed log...Hope to meet u in Pune now.
Thanks Reinhard, hope to meet you soon too. Perhaps on the next tapri meet.
This TL only has the Paris bit, and is incomplete without information on the other locations mentioned. The writeup has been completed quite a few months ago. However, I havent been able to find the time or the bandwidth to upload pics.
Hopefully the other details should be up by mid August
Old 8th July 2011, 16:47   #18
BHPian

@seldrive

Nice Photgraphs and interesting narration.

Btw what equipment have you used for photography. Results are awesome.

Looking forward for more pictures and details
cheers
NH

Last edited by Night_Hawk : 8th July 2011 at 16:49.
Old 8th July 2011, 16:56   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Hawk View Post
Nice Photgraphs and interesting narration.
Btw what equipment have you used for photography. Results are awesome. Looking forward for more pictures and details
cheers
NH
Thanks Night_Hawk, I am glad you liked it. Its just a compilation of a proposed itinerary for fly in visitors to experience Paris. I was the unofficial unpaid guide for my colleagues who had around a day or two to look around.

I used a Fujifilm bridge camera for most if not all of the pics. Personally, I like the German pics more (yet to be uploaded), maybe as my trip there was only 2 weeks.
Old 9th September 2011, 16:14   #20
BHPian

Les photos sont tres bien..!! This is like a guide book to Paris. Keep updating this thread with your experiences. Did you click a picture of the Mona Lisa and the Last Supper inside the Louvre? If yes, do try to post it as well.
Old 9th September 2011, 16:23   #21
BHPian

Bala: Speed up buddy ...freeways of Black Forest & Bavaria is waiting form long long time to get there share of story. Even i am waiting for next edition.
Old 12th September 2011, 15:03   #22
Senior - BHPian

Bala, had read this TL when I had just become a BHPian. Now, after a long time, visited this again and its still worth a read (many times actually). Now, hadnt you mentioned something about Black Forest, Bavaria and Switzerland too? Where did all that go?
Old 12th September 2011, 15:16   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowaby View Post
Les photos sont tres bien..!! This is like a guide book to Paris. Keep updating this thread with your experiences. Did you click a picture of the Mona Lisa and the Last Supper inside the Louvre? If yes, do try to post it as well.
Merci beaucoup monsieur! Well to be honest, I hate museums because I dont understand art. I get fidgety and dont know what to do or where to look. Through my employers I had free access to the Louvre, but never once set foot inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabahmad View Post
Bala: Speed up buddy ...freeways of Black Forest & Bavaria is waiting form long long time to get there share of story. Even i am waiting for next edition.
No freeways, shabahmad, all done using public transport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Bala, had read this TL when I had just become a BHPian. Now, after a long time, visited this again and its still worth a read (many times actually). Now, hadnt you mentioned something about Black Forest, Bavaria and Switzerland too? Where did all that go?
Arre yaar, it took me the best part of 2 months to locate the damn camera. And contrary to popular belief, I had not hidden it from the wife because I wanted to buy a DSLR! have I not proven how lazy or time/ effort challenged I am?!!

I will have to take some time off to write the German and Swiss parts too, 'hopefully soon'. Currently busy identifying and stepping on stones..
perhaps I am waiting for you to reach the hallowed senior bhpian limit

Last edited by selfdrive : 12th September 2011 at 15:26.
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2012, 11:20   #24
Senior - BHPian

^^Ok, its been some time since Swanand has become a senior bhpian. So its time to reactivate this dormant TL!
To be honest, I was a bit caught up on logistical issues but I hope to add to this TL regularly and steadily over the next few weeks.

A summary for must do things in Paris today, before we resume the rest of the journey

- Cruise on the Seine, a bit cheesy but a good way to relax the feet and have a different view of Paris. Except winter, there are a lot of walkers on the banks and the bridges. if you wave, they may wave back. Younger guys in groups do more than that at times. Cruises begin at the base of the Eiffel tower, near Pont de l’Alma (where Princess Di had her accident) and near Pont Neuf (between Notre Dame & Louvre). Dinner cruises are also available, but sport shoes/ flip flops/ sandals are not allowed and one has to be dressed ‘properly’
- Use the metro/ RER trains: Most convenient to get anywhere in Paris. Escalators are not built everywhere, so be prepared to walk up & down stairs. Not as deep as London/ Munich metros though.
- Rent a bicycle. The Parisien transport authority provides bicycles on rent around most metro stations. Paris is relatively flat and most sights are within cycling distance
- Streetside cafes; Sit and sip on a cafe (coffee) and watch the world as it passes by. Awesome pastime when the sun is out. Warning:lots of second hand cigarette smoke, as smoking isnt allowed indoors.
- Boulangeries and Fromageries (Bakeries & Cheese shops): Buy fresh baguettes and cheese, a bottle of wine (dont forget the wine opener) and head to the nearest park for a nice French picnic. In winter, try at your own risk!
- Cabarets - Moulin Rouge is definitely worth the steep price. Lido is another option, but we didnt try that.
- Montmartre and Arc de Triomphe: Fantastic views of the city. Amazing architecture and carvings on both buildings.
- Shopping: Perfumes, watches, clothes, fashion, the latest fads in everything. Not light on your pockets! The posher stores are near Opera/ Galeries Lafayette/ Printemps
- Beaches: During August, sand is dumped on a certain section of the banks of the Seine for a couple of weeks. This is converted into a beach with proper deck chairs etc.
- La Defense: Business district at the west of Paris with typical sky scrapers. Quite boring except for the Grande Arche of La Defense and the shopping areas on either side of it.

Edit: Next up: How an appraisal leads to a vacation!

Last edited by selfdrive : 27th January 2012 at 11:30.
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2012, 11:34   #25
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Just realised that you are back in India and now continuing with this thread!
Paris has always conjured up a romantic image during the 4 visits I had to that place. Now looking forward to see more of the pics from your end.
Old 31st January 2012, 13:09   #26
Senior - BHPian

Oh, you've finally woken up from your slumber! Awesome!.
Now, go on and finish the TL already. Dont let it be the end of 2012 to write and finish the 'logue.
Old 31st January 2012, 13:52   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
^^Ok, its been some time since Swanand has become a senior bhpian. So its time to reactivate this dormant TL!
To be honest, I was a bit caught up on logistical issues but I hope to add to this TL regularly and steadily over the next few weeks.
Bala what a lame excuse you have come up with for not updating the TL to cover up for the laziness. Logistical issues??? when during the course of the year you also became a Senior.

Anyway would be waiting for the updates and snaps soon.
Old 31st January 2012, 15:13   #28
Senior - BHPian

Hey Bala,

Autobiography likh raha hai kya?
Eager to read whole story, please complete the travelogue.
Old 1st February 2012, 07:31   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
Bala what a lame excuse you have come up with for not updating the TL to cover up for the laziness. Logistical issues??? when during the course of the year you also became a Senior.

Anyway would be waiting for the updates and snaps soon.
Amit, 'Lame' is the most apt word you could have chosen! Fortunately tbhp does not shoot its lame horses (or mules) and allows them to post to hearts content
For me sorting the pics and resizing them has been the biggest chore of them all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
Hey Bala,
Autobiography likh raha hai kya?
Eager to read whole story, please complete the travelogue.
bhau, meri autobiography kaun padhega?! will do my best to take some time everyday to proceed further.

Some daily sights near our apartment and on the commute

Edit: I forgot how to add comments to individual pics, will learn that before the next set of pics. Sorry guys! (and girls!)
A short line for the pics below:
1. View from my apartment (no, you dont have a view of the Eiffel tower from every apartment in Paris!)
2. My neighbour's ride
3. My apartment; fourth building on the left, third floor. aah forget it they all look the same
4. Fresh baguettes being delivered
5. My lunch on the rare occasion I chose to eat healthy
6. The Arch of Triumph; took the metro station below this monument every day
7. Entering the station. Only stairs :(
8. The metro train
9. My extra dessert when I ate health.
10. View of my destination on my way back home. And at the bottom of the pic, why we should not buy cars in Paris!
Attached Thumbnails
Paris, Black Forest, Bavaria & Switzerland-img_1359.jpg  

Paris, Black Forest, Bavaria & Switzerland-img_1347.jpg  

Paris, Black Forest, Bavaria & Switzerland-img_1352.jpg  

Paris, Black Forest, Bavaria & Switzerland-dsc_0682.jpg  

Paris, Black Forest, Bavaria & Switzerland-img_1189.jpg  

Paris, Black Forest, Bavaria & Switzerland-img_1049.jpg  

Paris, Black Forest, Bavaria & Switzerland-img_1050.jpg  

Paris, Black Forest, Bavaria & Switzerland-img_1052.jpg  

Paris, Black Forest, Bavaria & Switzerland-img_1172.jpg  

Paris, Black Forest, Bavaria & Switzerland-img_0664.jpg  

Last edited by selfdrive : 1st February 2012 at 07:41.
selfdrive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2012, 09:49   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
And at the bottom of the pic, why we should not buy cars in Paris!

Do you have a pic of traffic jam inside one of the ubiquitous tunnels? Its extremely irritating and scary too, though compared our chaos, its an orderly one at Paris.

Most Viewed