Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2011, 08:10   #16
BHPian

Re: For how long we will be able to see Pench...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Dear Abhi,
Your pics. posted already have done justice to your photographic skills and as far as Pench or any other forest or wildlife is concerned...I feel, no camera or photographer can justify or represent its beauty. We can only try.
What is the lens in use (focal length)?
Regards,
@Fazal bhai sorry for the delay. The focal length in use is 126mm on most of the bird pics. What I am using is a bridge camera (HS10) with 30x optical zoom. 126mm on HS10 is 720mm in 35mm EQ.
Old 6th March 2011, 10:15   #17
BHPian

Few more pics from the first morning safari

Serpent Eagle

For how long we will be able to see Pench...?-41.jpg

Jackal

For how long we will be able to see Pench...?-42.jpg

Shy...

For how long we will be able to see Pench...?-43.jpg

Small happy family - Sambhar

For how long we will be able to see Pench...?-44.jpg

Matured enough to be attentive

For how long we will be able to see Pench...?-45.jpg

Tiger dikhaaa...? Nahi, tumhe dikhaa? Call to aa rahatha.
(and the tourist behind the drivers have no smile on their face as if their money gone in vain. But me, my friends, bablu, lallan, Dr. we all enjoyed looking at their faces. Infact, soon we discovered a new guessing game, "Next oncoming gypsy, happy faces or sad ones")For how long we will be able to see Pench...?-46.jpg

Machines too need rest

For how long we will be able to see Pench...?-47.jpg

Umesh & Me

For how long we will be able to see Pench...?-48.jpg

from left - Lallan, Umesh and Ramesh

For how long we will be able to see Pench...?-49.jpg

and the deer...

For how long we will be able to see Pench...?-50.jpg

fallen horn of a deer. When we reached there, a deer was enjoying it's chews. Very rich in calcium so deers often eat them ( calcium sandoz of Pench ). Ramesh was humble enough to pick it up, we observed it and then it was placed back as it was to fulfill someone else calcium deficiency.

For how long we will be able to see Pench...?-51.jpg

Preparing Elephant's food (approx 10 kg of flour for each elephant in a day)

For how long we will be able to see Pench...?-52.jpg

Most amazing and interesting species of all. You can watch them for hours observing their never ending tricks, moments and innovations. No wonder where we came from.

For how long we will be able to see Pench...?-53.jpg

Paw prints of THE MAAA, "Collarwali".

For how long we will be able to see Pench...?-54.jpg

More to come some time later...
Old 6th March 2011, 11:24   #18
Senior - BHPian

Abhi,
That is a good set of photographs and write up, of life in and around Pench.

It is nice to see employment generated through the forest-tourist relationship. At the the resort I was in, came across two freelance masseurs who offered to give me a full body massage with 'Sarson da tel' for Rs. 250, and really rejuvenated me for the remainder of the days there.

Their USP is, they sing songs in tandem while massaging you, folk songs of places in and around Pench, encouraging tourism. Some times they are too loud and painful, thats when I told them to rest their lungs for sometime. It was an unexpected and refreshing experience.

Imagine the socio-ecnomic condition of the villages had there not been the tourist inflow, as compared to thriving now.
Regards,

These are the unconventional (no cameras, no photography etc.) guys who rake in revenue for the department and help in funding the park, as their numbers are much higher than us.
For how long we will be able to see Pench...?-img_2423.jpg

Last edited by fazalaliadil : 6th March 2011 at 11:26.
Old 7th March 2011, 15:04   #19
BHPian

As I stated that our first morning safari was more of bird watching. Such is the beauty of Pench that it made my friend 'Umesh' to try his
hands with Dr. Abheek's DSLR and he managed to get real good close up of few flyers.
After coming out of the gate it was time to relax at Bagheera Resort which we have not yet checked. Seemed to be newly constructed. Rooms
were nice and clean. Damn, my cell phone is low on battery and its load shedding time. CFL's are working, tried all sockets and none up for
charging (wonder if I would have invested in ZEN MOBILE… SABSE LAMBI CHALNE WALI BATTERY WALA PHONE...HE HE HE).
Called up Dr. Abheek as he was to join us on lunch and for the evening safari. At resort, we met another "to be BHPian", Bhaskaran who with his better
half and another couple traveled to Pench after visiting Kanha and were returning to Nagpur.
Took few pics around the cottage and then finally proceeded to cross the urban limits again. This time our 'sarathi' was Bablu (elder to
Lallan).

Bagheera reception and restaurant

For how long we will be able to see Pench...?-01.jpg

Our Presidential Suite

For how long we will be able to see Pench...?-02.jpg

Just another view

For how long we will be able to see Pench...?-03.jpg

Ducks @ Bagheera

For how long we will be able to see Pench...?-04.jpg

Little yellow flower no one would care about

For how long we will be able to see Pench...?-05.jpg

Cart they use for racing

For how long we will be able to see Pench...?-06.jpg

My tryist with the cart

For how long we will be able to see Pench...?-07.jpg

Just a branch...

For how long we will be able to see Pench...?-08.jpg

For how long we will be able to see Pench...?-09.jpg

By this time Bablu was all ready with his Gypsy for the evening safari which would be bringing us some new surprises...
Old 7th March 2011, 15:46   #20
BHPian

Dear Abhi
Before, being the Team BHP member, i used to follow, Fazal Sir's log. Also, some other log in TBhp by Abheek Ghosh and cooolcat.

Abhi, excellent narration, superb pictures. Loving it. Waiting for April 2, 2011 to come, when i will be landing at Pench for expedition. But Scared that the benchmark set by you guys of Pench Travelogue will be difficult to met.

Needless to say that i started my First Jungle Expedition at Tadoba with Dr. Abheek Ghosh. Thanks Abheek, now you know how much i am intoxicated by jungle and its habitat.

Subrat
Old 7th March 2011, 16:51   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abheekg View Post
Dear Abhi
It was a pleasure to host you and interact with you at Pench. Although you were here for a short while, I am sure this is a start of a long association for us.
Very interesting title to the writeup boss. Can I know what prompted you to title it thus.
Being very positive about wildlife conservation, I must say that with our collective efforts we will be able to conserve these sites for a long long time.

Dr. A Ghosh
Abheek bhai, the pleasure is all mine to meet someone who is working so close to save wildlife and its wealth. I am glad that you liked the title. I tried to have something catchy, but it is as simple as the little things that we miss in our daily life.

Some questions we can ask to ourselves;
When was the last time when we felt that fresh non-polluted air passing through our lungs?
When was the last time when you walked on that grass with dew drops bare foot?
When was the last time when you enjoyed rotis baked on traditional chullah rather than a tandoor?
When was the last time when you spent time interacting with people who respect nature and respect it? ( we had learn it but now too mature and busy with lifestyle)

Being in Mumbai, it is more evident to see how mangroves are getting buried for new construction, how mountains on western ghats are getting mined and alot of things. We take alot (almost everything) from nature but how much do we return?

I am glad to be a part of this long association with you effort to save nature and wildlife.

I still remember those sights where the mother deer and it's child were trying to take few sips of water accumulated on the road. As we noticed that all the water bodies already went at such a low level, with oncoming summers and knowing the harshness of summers in month of April and May I wonder how they will fight for survival.

I will be covering that photo in my upcoming posts...

Last edited by nomadabhi : 7th March 2011 at 16:54. Reason: eshpelling mishtake
Old 7th March 2011, 18:41   #22
BHPian

Lovely narration and pictures Abhi. Pench is a place that I too plan to visit one day and experience nature first hand. Till then these posts on Pench and Tadoba work as starters. It is said that the selfish gene preserves itself by jumping from species to species, each being an experiment at defeating extinction. I wonder how did the gene jump into man? Will this be a costly mistake for the gene; or will the mistake be suitably corrected?
Old 7th March 2011, 20:37   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quite a fascinating collection of photos, especially of the bird life! The first 2 photos on Post #11 were exceptional!

How was the trip organised? Which point did you enter the Park? Since you went without your car, how easy is it to get transport to the Park?
Old 7th March 2011, 20:47   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gostel View Post
Lovely narration and pictures Abhi. Pench is a place that I too plan to visit one day and experience nature first hand. Till then these posts on Pench and Tadoba work as starters. It is said that the selfish gene preserves itself by jumping from species to species, each being an experiment at defeating extinction. I wonder how did the gene jump into man? Will this be a costly mistake for the gene; or will the mistake be suitably corrected?
Yes Sir very true. I may be planning my next trip to Pench in month of May and will be including Kanha as well. Let's see how things will work out as it would be peak of summers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Quite a fascinating collection of photos, especially of the bird life! The first 2 photos on Post #11 were exceptional!

How was the trip organised? Which point did you enter the Park? Since you went without your car, how easy is it to get transport to the Park?
HVK sir, Well as I started off there were no such plans. It just happened that I had to attend a friend's marriage and at the same time I had word with Dr. Abheek. If you remember, I happen to be a biker who started it all alone and so never in a habit of planning much.
We entered from the Khwasa end as I was approaching from Nagpur. I did my studies from Nagpur and had good old pals there who were partner in crime with me so transport in Nagpur is never a problem.
Old 9th March 2011, 08:37   #25
Senior - BHPian

Hey NoMad! Life like photos from your trip inspires us to visit pench soon.........provided things falls in place.

Refreshing to see Wildlife and Wild gypsies toghether.....
Old 9th March 2011, 12:34   #26
BHPian

>>>

nomadabhi,

Very nice write up couples with great snaps. The sun's rays striking out from a bank of clouds, the brown vegetation with the trees in the background, the birds all extremely beautiful.

I think I have to plan for Pench in winter this year.

Regards, drive safe
Old 9th March 2011, 21:15   #27
BHPian

RECAP:
After few snaps around Bagheera (Resort) we were glad to join Dr. Abheek and we were ready to cross those urban limits again. This time our 'sarathi' was Bablu (elder to Lallan).

Dr. Abheek Ghosh (all ready with his gears)

For how long we will be able to see Pench...?-01.jpg

Time 03:45PM, the sky was in fact, of a bright cloudless blue. We entered the gates and after driving few 100 meters Mr. Sun went down on us.

Sunny to Shady

For how long we will be able to see Pench...?-03.jpg

For how long we will be able to see Pench...?-06.jpg

One thing did not change, 'the camouflaged Owl'

For how long we will be able to see Pench...?-owl.jpg

By the time we reached near to a narrow stream made by backwaters of Pench, it starts drizzling. We enjoyed the showers and took few snaps till the time rain God busted out on us. All gears went safe in bag but the 5 guys on open top gypsy remained. For some reason (may be a coincidence), since the time I relocated from Nagpur, every time I visit the city, it rained (no matter what month it is).

Blessed by Rain God

For how long we will be able to see Pench...?-10.jpg

As the rain grew, we all watched each other with same question, what to do now? Wait, roam or to leave towards gate. Definitely, the choice was to roam. I still remember those refreshing moments spent on open gypsy in dark wild forest with rain God showering us with another force of nature. Worst part was when it stopped raining and gush of wind made us shiver to bone. Bablu found out a hut where there was still some fire left in chullah which gave us some relief.

Thanks to prehistoric man for giving us this

For how long we will be able to see Pench...?-macro.jpg

By the time we reached back to the gate, we found that we were the only one drenched and the only gypsy that came out. Rest had already returned due to the weather change. This made us grin ear to ear. It was already dark and after having tea @ Lallan's, with a delicious feeling of fatigue we headed back to Bagheera from where Dr. Abheek took off to Nagpur.

Few memorable moments captured from evening safari

Serpent Eagle

For how long we will be able to see Pench...?-04.jpg

Spotted Deer

For how long we will be able to see Pench...?-05.jpg

Neel Guy (Blue Cow)

For how long we will be able to see Pench...?-07.jpg

Sambhar

For how long we will be able to see Pench...?-08.jpg

Evening horizon after rains

For how long we will be able to see Pench...?-09.jpg

Spotted deer ( mother & child )
Thanks to the rain God. Looking at the receding water levels at Pench, I really wonder what it would be in April/May when the temperature shoots upto 46 degree celcius. Added to it is the dry climate with almost 0% humidity.

For how long we will be able to see Pench...?-11.jpg

Jackle who seemed not to enjoy the rains (seemed to be in its own thoughts or may be Mr. Jackle was late reaching home due to rains)

For how long we will be able to see Pench...?-12.jpg

Water Vs Wafer Leaves

For how long we will be able to see Pench...?-13.jpg

Umesh with Dr. Abheek @ Lallan's

For how long we will be able to see Pench...?-14.jpg

Coming Soon... (The sleepless night at Bagheera and another morning safari)
Old 9th March 2011, 21:19   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
>>>

nomadabhi,

Very nice write up couples with great snaps. The sun's rays striking out from a bank of clouds, the brown vegetation with the trees in the background, the birds all extremely beautiful.

I think I have to plan for Pench in winter this year.

Regards, drive safe
Sir, Pench is closed for 3 months in a year (Jun, July Sep). In winters the flora and fauna would be completely different from those now. I too may plan for winters@Pench.
Old 9th March 2011, 21:36   #29
Senior - BHPian

Abhi,
This is a new precedent, 3-4 travelogues on Pench running simultaneously, each so different from the other. Unexpected rains made your trip so much more unique and gave us a different face of Pench.
One noticeable trend has evolved on our forum...even without photographs of the ever exiting big cats, these threads are being visited and appreciated.
Thanks for the Pench through your lens.
Regards,
Old 9th March 2011, 21:46   #30
BHPian

Great Pictures and a nice write up

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks