Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2011, 21:59   #91

Re: Civved : Gavi

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Still raining?
No, it ain't raining now. It rained continuously from June to November last year. Followed by thunderstorms (largely on and off) in December and January. Then suddenly out of nowhere came really heavy showers 2 weeks ago in certain parts of Kerala. But it's all over now.
Old 9th March 2011, 23:54   #92
Senior - BHPian

Just recieved a mail from the Divisional manager. Tariffs are hiked for the Green mansion jUngle Lodge and the Jungle camp. Please find the details.

Civved : Gavi-scan0001.jpg
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2011, 12:57   #93
BHPian

Your travelouge is so refreshing. Thanks for sharing. The pics are just awsome.
Old 10th March 2011, 13:31   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MohsinRoadster View Post
Your travelouge is so refreshing. Thanks for sharing. The pics are just awsome.
Thanks MohsinRoadster.
The place was amazing
Old 10th March 2011, 13:59   #95
BHPian

Lovely account and photos, Lalu!
Old 10th March 2011, 17:50   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmonk View Post
Lovely account and photos, Lalu!
Thanks oldmonk.
The place was lovely and hence the photos and account.
Old 12th March 2011, 11:12   #97
Senior - BHPian

The next 4 days we were at Vagamon. The Vagamon log can be read here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...d-vagamon.html
Old 15th March 2011, 20:48   #98
Senior - BHPian

good to see sabarimala without the traffic jams involved during the makara season (nov -feb).

Nice travelogue and lovely set of pics.
Old 15th March 2011, 21:07   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
good to see sabarimala without the traffic jams involved during the makara season (nov -feb).

Nice travelogue and lovely set of pics.
Thanks vinaydas.
Cannot imagine the lakhs of devotees that would be there during the season.
Old 16th June 2016, 08:44   #100
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Has anyone been to Gavi recently? I along with my colleagues, will be visiting Alleppey in August for a few days. Periyar & Gavi are on the agenda.

We are a group of 9 people & are planning for a trip from Alleppey to cover both Periyar & Gavi in a single day.

I have gone through their website (http://gavi.kfdcecotourism.com/Default.aspx) to find a list of programmes & activities. I have even mailed them my queries, but the only information I got in reply was regarding the Full Day Programme & the Night Stay.

Jeep Safari & Boat Ride are mentioned in the Activities List (see attached screenshot) on their website.

Since there is a paucity of time & that we're staying in Alleppey (KTDC Suvasam Lake Resort), I wanted to know if we could simply travel to Gavi & do the Boat Ride & Jeep Safari independently? Do we have to make prior bookings/arrangements in this regard?

It would be a similar plan for Periyar as well i.e. to do a Boat Ride/Jeep Ride independent of any structured day programmes.

Also, would much appreciate if someone could tell if both Gavi & Periyar can be done in a single day as per the above mentioned plan.

We're planning to hire Tempo Traveller from Alleppey & I hope the vehicle would be allowed to go upto the Boating Point at Gavi.
Attached Images

Old 18th June 2016, 11:26   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by red.devil_19 View Post
Hi Guys,

Jeep Safari & Boat Ride are mentioned in the Activities List (see attached screenshot) on their website.

Since there is a paucity of time & that we're staying in Alleppey (KTDC Suvasam Lake Resort), I wanted to know if we could simply travel to Gavi & do the Boat Ride & Jeep Safari independently? Do we have to make prior bookings/arrangements in this regard?

It would be a similar plan for Periyar as well i.e. to do a Boat Ride/Jeep Ride independent of any structured day programmes.

Also, would much appreciate if someone could tell if both Gavi & Periyar can be done in a single day as per the above mentioned plan.

We're planning to hire Tempo Traveller from Alleppey & I hope the vehicle would be allowed to go upto the Boating Point at Gavi.
In Gavi they organise programmes on night stay+ basis for a certain fare, other than that they organise 1 day programme ie from morning till lunch.

The lake area is very small here and nothing much to see, unless some elephants are roaming on the other side, that too can be seen from the shore were you are already standing.

When i went there the jeep safaris were done for some 25 to 30 kms, on the road area only, no off roading into the jungles.

Yes you can simply travel to Gavi in a Tempo traveller, via Vallakadavu check post which opens at 6am. Drive 10 kms in through the forests roads till you reach the Gavi lake and forest guest house and return back through Vallakadavu and proceed towards Thekkady (Periyar). This drive itself would suffice a safari

The main attraction in Thekkady is boating in the reservoir, which you need to book in advance online., you can’t hope getting a ticket by standing in queue.

Yes you can do it in a single day. Start early from Alleppy, you may require at-least 4 to 6 hours to reach Gavi, via Kuttikanam (excellent drive). Spend an hour in Gavi and drive back towards Thekkady, have lunch somewhere on the way before entering the Periyar tiger reserve sanctuary limit. Go for evening boating after 3 pm, at Thekkady.

Yes, You can take the Tempo traveller straight upto the boating area car park in Thekkady.

Last edited by Ddrive : 18th June 2016 at 11:28. Reason: Corrections
Ddrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2016, 10:46   #102
Senior - BHPian

I am not sure if Vallakkadavu Checkpost will let you go if you just show up with your TT. Check that out before you plan.

If you are booked in a morning plan or a night plan, then they will, since that would be informed to them.
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2016, 13:00   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
I am not sure if Vallakkadavu Checkpost will let you go if you just show up with your TT. Check that out before you plan.

If you are booked in a morning plan or a night plan, then they will, since that would be informed to them.

+1 to that. When I went, they seemed to have my details etc beforehand from KTDC Gavi. They were 'expecting' me at the Vallakadavu checkpost. I remember another vehicle being stopped (they didn't have prior permission ) - and they were still arguing with the officer at the checkpost for a good 15 minutes when I moved on in. Possible that they were sent back.

Here are your two options IIRC

a) If you stay at any of the KTDC places in Thekkady, they can coordinate with Gavi folks for a day trip ( when I was in Thekkady, I got to know this form them. Plus when I was in Gavi during another trip, I saw that a Govt minibus arrived from Thekkady, carrying day-trippers )

b) You deal with KTDC Gavi directly, like you have done. Either for overnight stay or for the day trip. Though interesting to note that they didn't send you any other plan on the correspondence.

IMHO, you should do Gavi a bit leisurely ( ie. atleast spend a few hours rather than diving in and out ). They took me on a safari in my own car for a good 30 kms or so. Trust me, it was probably some of the most beautiful places I have seen in Kerala. And it was the June of 2013 when the rains were more like water from a broken watertank. They didn't let me take the boatride due to dangerous levels of water and continuing heavy rain. There is a gazebo near the restaurant and it was submerged overnight! I couldn't believe that it was the very place that I stood at and sipped tea the previous evening.

And the best part : the road was cut off just before Vandiperiyar from Gavi side due to floods when I returned : we had to wait for many hours to be able to cross.

If you need more thrills, get on the Kumily - Gavi - Pathanamthitta KeSRTC service - it traverses the entire breadth of the Periyar Sanctuary well past the Ranni/Konni ranges where private vehicles are not allowed : but with a risk that the bus journey may be suspended midway due to rains, fallen trees etc Does someone know if this service is still active ?
Attached Thumbnails
Civved : Gavi-8622_580375312013305_1994153461_n.jpg  

Civved : Gavi-995421_580369625347207_1126084590_n-1.jpg  

Civved : Gavi-996519_580369702013866_799129518_n.jpg  

Civved : Gavi-1003087_580369808680522_403391925_n.jpg  

Civved : Gavi-1003283_580376688679834_1971861996_n.jpg  

Civved : Gavi-1003415_580369772013859_1985873637_n.jpg  

Civved : Gavi-1043956_580375278679975_1766775763_n.jpg  

Last edited by airguitar : 23rd June 2016 at 13:11.
airguitar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2016, 14:48   #104
BHPian

Correction : They took me on a short drive in my car ( < 10 kms ) in the evening. While the long safari (=25+ km) was indeed in their jeep. Sorry for the mistake ( I just looked back at my photos - I'm aging )
Old 23rd June 2016, 15:27   #105
Lij
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitar View Post
If you need more thrills, get on the Kumily - Gavi - Pathanamthitta KeSRTC service - it traverses the entire breadth of the Periyar Sanctuary well past the Ranni/Konni ranges where private vehicles are not allowed : but with a risk that the bus journey may be suspended midway due to rains, fallen trees etc Does someone know if this service is still active ?
As per the website the service still runs.

http://www.aanavandi.com/search/resu...ly)/timing/all

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks