Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2011, 13:33   #46
BHPian

Re: Desert Storm 2011 - A competitor's log

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihrishi View Post
Thank you OldMonk! We were lucky!
You're being very modest! How was the Explore route? Was it exciting for the driver? How was it, navigating without GPS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Awesome log. Too bad you had a fan belt failure. Its really disappointing to have a part fail where you were not expecting any failure. Any cause of failure or anything?
that said, it takes a lot of courage to undertake something like this. Hopefully, someday I will do this in an out of warranty vehicle. Till then I will read narratives like yours
Thanks TSK. Mechanics are clueless why it broke.

'Someday'..? Reading your travelogues, you're already doing it! If one doesn't try to win, TSD is almost like a road trip. There was a GV in our category with 4 passengers who were just having a blast - no calculations, navigation, but participating to enjoy the experience..
Old 9th March 2011, 14:07   #47
BHPian

Finally completed your entire thread. Its superb. Hope you meet up with you in some other rally in the future.

BTW, i do recall seeing you guys trying to take a shortcut from the side of the road. This came after the left under the flyover, and then the road was dug up.

This is also where we managed to blow our airbags when we landed after a high jump from a crest while making up for lost time...

Great writeup again!
Old 9th March 2011, 15:19   #48
Senior - BHPian

Great DS11 story.

Quote:
Finally completed your entire thread. Its superb. Hope you meet up with you in some other rally in the future.

BTW, i do recall seeing you guys trying to take a shortcut from the side of the road. This came after the left under the flyover, and then the road was dug up.

This is also where we managed to blow our airbags when we landed after a high jump from a crest while making up for lost time...

Great writeup again!
Hrishi, why dont you put up your blog with the pictures here. It will be quite an interesting read for all TBHPians.
Old 9th March 2011, 16:20   #49
BHPian

Quote:

Great writeup again!
Thanks Hrishi. I hope there is another time for me.

When was this, on the way to Jaisalmer? We were probably in a free zone. Were you guys in competition? I was very surprised by that detour. Pathetic road..

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
Great DS11 story.
Thanks Parsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
Hrishi, why dont you put up your blog with the pictures here. It will be quite an interesting read for all TBHPians.
+1
Old 9th March 2011, 17:40   #50
BHPian

I am sitting in my cubicle now, no more nails left on my fingers on both hands, You have an amazing way of narrating a story, I didn't miss the pics at all here! glued to this thread now!

Cheers!
Asif
Old 9th March 2011, 18:38   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa_asif View Post
..didn't miss the pics at all here! glued to this thread now!
Thanks Asif. (Story is done though..)
Old 9th March 2011, 19:42   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev
Was this the place on road book that you went off the tracK? Instruction #447 Ninety Left?

No.. 633.08. Going through the road book now, left doesn't look that acute. Don't have GPS track to compare, but I guess it would have been sharper on the track. More than 50% of the cars had missed this left and come straight. Also think they missed the instruction comment "Leave Track: OT"
That is why reading road book is equally important. Just following GPS track tell you only half the story. Here is the instruction that many seem to have missed:
Name:  Screenshot.png
Views: 761
Size:  14.9 KB

Leave Main Track & Off Track (OT) are clearly mentioned. But in your case it was mechanical failure.

+1 for blow by blow account from Mumbai Indian team of ihrishi
Old 10th March 2011, 10:09   #53
BHPian

Excellent writing OldMonk, took me right back to the Rann. Couldnt get off this thread till the end and then i was disappointed it didnt carry on further.

You guys did an awesome job for your first time around.

cheers.
Old 10th March 2011, 11:31   #54
BHPian

@OldMonk: This kind of end was not expected while I started reading this thread. After your first few posts I was thinking of checking official results to find your final position after completion. But what a bad day or what a bad fan belt, ruined everything. Great Narration. Keep it up. You both will come again, I am sure.
Old 10th March 2011, 12:12   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankur View Post
Excellent writing OldMonk, took me right back to the Rann. Couldnt get off this thread till the end and then i was disappointed it didnt carry on further.

You guys did an awesome job for your first time around.

cheers.
Thanks Ankur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passiontodrive View Post
@OldMonk: This kind of end was not expected while I started reading this thread. After your first few posts I was thinking of checking official results to find your final position after completion. But what a bad day or what a bad fan belt, ruined everything. Great Narration. Keep it up. You both will come again, I am sure.
Thanks Passiontodrive. I'd been following your Raid posts, good stuff!
Old 11th March 2011, 21:02   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Found this picture from scrutiny to supplement this thread:
Desert Storm 2011 - A competitor's log-185920_10150099561467636_703512635_6528508_7685634_n.jpg
Old 11th March 2011, 21:08   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Another action shot by Ashish Budhia, another competitor:
Desert Storm 2011 - A competitor's log-183307_10150112564237636_703512635_6652733_3212288_n.jpg
Old 14th March 2011, 19:13   #58

@oldmonk: Very nicely penned !!!! Hope to catch up with you soon.........Its really a small world in RALLYING.....

{"Feb 19th Sunday was Day -1 of the rally. Rally office was open, and they were allowing cars to go through early scrutiny. Announced our arrival to the secretary of the meet (Philip, and who I later discovered shared common roots at our "naiteeve". Small world!)"}
Old 14th March 2011, 20:08   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipracing View Post
@oldmonk: Very nicely penned !!!! Hope to catch up with you soon..
Thanks Philip. I sure hope so!
Old 15th March 2011, 14:07   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmonk View Post
You're being very modest! How was the Explore route? Was it exciting for the driver? How was it, navigating without GPS?
The route for day 2 was the same as yours. We had got the GPS tracks too for days 2 & 3. Things used to get challenging when we lost way, and screwed up our Odometer. That is when things got interesting (and heated) in the car...

It was much more challenging last time around when we did not get any tracks for the Rann leg. And much more fun too!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks